Captain's Luncheon

ONT-CA

We believe the question of Breakfast at Sabatini's was related to a possible passenger designation above Elite. Should that be, say, 300+ days that shouldn't place too much strain on Sabatini's. When last in a suite aboard the Emerald, we noted that there were never more than three tables occupied in Sabatini's for breakfast.

Now that seems like a better number to me. 300+ days, on most sailings would not make a significant difference for breakfast at Sabatinis. But I have been amazed on some sailings how the number of passengers that have sailed over 250-300 days has been very large. Doubling the amount of days it took to make Elite Status in the first place I would consider super elite also, 250 days just doesn't seem quite enough to me. ;)

We were surprised on the Pacific Princess that some mornings, Sabainis had almost every suite passenger in Sabatinis for breakfast. I am not sure if adding extras to that list would have been managed very easily without strain on the serving staff. I guess they could add more staff to the mix, if that is what it took.

I think what I am trying to say is that if you add too many to the list for Sabatinis breakfast, before you know it, it wouldn't be any different that having breakfast in the dining room with waiters being asked to take care of more tables then they could handle and the excellent service would be strained.

The last several cruises we have taken on the Ocean and Pacific, the line for the Captain's Luncheon was over 300 days. So on ships which have 10 suits and therefore 20 or so people for breakfast, even using 300 days for super elite would more than triple the people eligible to eat breakfast in Sabatinis.

The last several cruises we have taken on the Ocean and Pacific, the line for the Captain's Luncheon was over 300 days. So on ships which have 10 suits and therefore 20 or so people for breakfast, even using 300 days for super elite would more than triple the people eligible to eat breakfast in Sabatinis.

Paul, that is also part of the problem I see with this. If they should offer it, on some sailngs (especially on the smaller ships for some itinearys), it would be a burdon on both the seating and staff at Sabatinis. Although the larger ships might be able to accomodate, the smaller ships (on some itinerarys) would not.

On our Pacific Princess cruise, there weren't all that many Elites (probably why we ended up being the second most traveled, with the same number of cruises, just three less days then the most traveled passenger onboard). But I know on many small ship sailings, the Elite members outnumber the other passengers.

Hi All,

Breakfast at Sabatini's is great, those eggs Benedict are just the best ever,

however never had a suite, would never spend money on one as I prefer to do as many cruises as I can,

so why do I know about how good the food is, because I have like a number of lucky people been invited by the ship or by an officer for breakfast,

likewise most travelled, we might have more sea days than the average passenger but well short of the number required to attend these events,

however an invite from the Commodore or another senior officer to join them has been a very nice surprise.

Princess can be very nice at times, however up grade once in my life would be nice

yours Shogun

Does anyone know how many elite passengers are typically on each sailing? I look at the cabin name tags when walking along corridors and whilst I've never actually counted I would feel it is around 10%, so there could be up to 300 elites on a cruise. Does this sound right?

If so the Sabatinis breakfast option would definitely be problematic and I'm sure the suite passengers would not be happy with such an arrangement either.

I think 300 days would be a suitable benchmark for a new level, even though I would have another 100 days to get there...but its nice to have something to aim for :)

So what other suggestions do people have for possible "super-elite" benefits?

Perhaps they could offer a discounted drinks program - say 25% off all drink prices?

Maybe a free Sabatinis dinner, or a complimentary 1 hour spa treatment?

Does anyone know how many elite passengers are typically on each sailing? I look at the cabin name tags when walking along corridors and whilst I've never actually counted I would feel it is around 10%, so there could be up to 300 elites on a cruise. Does this sound right?

If so the Sabatinis breakfast option would definitely be problematic and I'm sure the suite passengers would not be happy with such an arrangement either.

I think 300 days would be a suitable benchmark for a new level, even though I would have another 100 days to get there...but its nice to have something to aim for :)

So what other suggestions do people have for possible "super-elite" benefits?

Perhaps they could offer a discounted drinks program - say 25% off all drink prices?

Maybe a free Sabatinis dinner, or a complimentary 1 hour spa treatment?

It is going to depend on the itinerary & ship. We sail mostly on the small ships which hold about 670 passengers. There are usually about 140 to 175 Elites. So that is 20 or 25 percent. Anther 250 to 300 are usually platinum, so they don't make much of the internet on these cruises.

Does anyone know how many elite passengers are typically on each sailing?

These were the stats announced on the Royal Princess Amazon cruise in January: out of the approximately 700 passengers, approximately 84% had traveled on Princess before according to the Captain at the Captain's Circle cocktail party: if I remember the numbers correctly, there were 64 elite, 260+ platinum, and 280+ gold passengers. The most traveled had about 400 days while 2nd and 3rd were very close to each other in the 325 – 335 day range.

Obviously the numbers fluctuate based on the size of the ship, the itinerary, and (probably) the time of the year.

I will just sit by quietly (me, quiet?) and wait. Super Elite sounds nice. A Sabatini's breakfast sounds nice. A specialty restaurant sounds nice. A suite upgrade sounds nicer. ;)

While the things talked about sound nice, almost any extra would be good.

Here are some ideas that we have talked about. Should we take a poll?

1. Breakfast – Sabatini

2. Crown Grill – Free Meal

3. Upgrade – Inside to Outside Obstructed

Outside Obstructed – Outside

Outside – Mini Suite

Mini Suite – Full Suite

4. Drinks – 50% off

Other Ideas?

I think 400+ days is pretty restrictive for "super" Elite. Perhaps 275 or 300? Also, gotta think of what will bring Princess the biggest bang for their buck, i.e., least out-of-pocket and easy to implement and track.

Scratch the Sabatini's breakfast since those who book a full suite don't like that idea. :) Here are some suggestions:

1. Soda card

2. Coffee card

3. A flower arrangement in your cabin

4. 20% off in the boutiques

5. 20% off spa treatment

6. One photo

7. 20% off wine & liquor

8. A specialty restaurant dinner, subject to availability

Since Elite can be achieved at the 150 day mark, that is why I feel that 300 days for the next tier would be totally appropriate.

As for perks, A nice bottle of chilled champagne (not the cheap nasty stuff) ;) in the stateroom when they arrive would be a small one that wouldn't cost the cruise line a lot, but it would be a very nice gesture. But then we have those that don't drink, so scratch that as they would be complaining they want something else.

I think dinner at one of the specialty restaurants would be the safest and easiest to implement, and probably the least expensive way to go for this one, so it gets my vote. ;)

I think 400+ days is pretty restrictive for "super" Elite. Perhaps 275 or 300? Also, gotta think of what will bring Princess the biggest bang for their buck, i.e., least out-of-pocket and easy to implement and track.

Scratch the Sabatini's breakfast since those who book a full suite don't like that idea. :) Here are some suggestions:

1. Soda card

2. Coffee card

3. A flower arrangement in your cabin

4. 20% off in the boutiques

5. 20% off spa treatment

6. One photo

7. 20% off wine & liquor

8. A specialty restaurant dinner, subject to availability

Thanks for your input. I would think at least 300 or 350 days.

As for the suggestions:

1. Soda card - What is the price of that and us mature Seniors probably not want a soda card?

2. Coffee card - $27.00 now and they offer 2 for 1 in the books.

3. A flower arrangement in your cabin - ?

4. 20% off in the boutiques - They give 10% now and that excludes certain items. Don't buy much at the boutiques since most of the items are Logo, Jewelry, booze.

5. 20% off spa treatment - Totally overpriced and very rarely used.

6. One photo - Get this now, however, it excludes formal settings. LOL

7. 20% off wine & liquor - OK

8. A specialty restaurant dinner, subject to availability - Subject to Availability? How many times have we seen the SR turning people away? During a 7 day cruise - 7 nights, when not available? Allow Elite + 1 time during a 7 day cruise.

Lets hear more!

Thanks for your input. I would think at least 300 or 350 days.

As for the suggestions:

1. Soda card - What is the price of that and us mature Seniors probably not want a soda card?

2. Coffee card - $27.00 now and they offer 2 for 1 in the books.

3. A flower arrangement in your cabin - ?

4. 20% off in the boutiques - They give 10% now and that excludes certain items. Don't buy much at the boutiques since most of the items are Logo, Jewelry, booze.

5. 20% off spa treatment - Totally overpriced and very rarely used.

6. One photo - Get this now, however, it excludes formal settings. LOL

7. 20% off wine & liquor - OK

8. A specialty restaurant dinner, subject to availability - Subject to Availability? How many times have we seen the SR turning people away? During a 7 day cruise - 7 nights, when not available? Allow Elite + 1 time during a 7 day cruise.

Lets hear more!

I don't think they will find a perk or set of perks that will be used equally buy all the super elite. So they would want a package that would provide something for nearly all the super elites, without breaking the bank.

As to Flower Arrangement, I usually pay $33 for one in our cabin and my wife loves it. I think there is another for $45.

other suggestions.....

Ultimate Drink Card

Mini Bar set up for each person in the cabin at the super Elite level

30% off of excursions (an Princess will still make money from them)

Very good! Define Ultimate Drink Card, please.

It exists already.....unlimited fountain soda, unlimited milkshakes and unlimited virgin drinks (pina coladas, etc), and canned rootbeer is also included.

Thanks, never used it so I didn't know what it was. Too old for virgin drinks. LOL

As for perks, A nice bottle of chilled champagne (not the cheap nasty stuff) ;) in the stateroom when they arrive would be a small one that wouldn't cost the cruise line a lot, but it would be a very nice gesture. But then we have those that don't drink, so scratch that as they would be complaining they want something else.

Just as we were surprised and delighted to receive the invitation to the Captain's Luncheon when coming aboard, perhaps there could be a variety of perks that the ship can choose from to bestow upon the Elite+ passenger when they come aboard. The choice being made by the ship, it would take into consideration the passenger demographics so that if breakfast at Sabatini's is appropriate in numbers then so be it and should the suites not approve, let them eat cake... As to the champagne, is it any different than an Elite who does not drink receiving a full bar compliment? They must make use of it somehow and what better way to meet people than in sharing.

My wife and I are Elite, but not as many days as some of you. We like to book Suites also. So, how about this one, a one time deal after 275 get a Full Suite for 50% off for a 7 day cruise. That can't put them out that many $$$.

As to the champagne, is it any different than an Elite who does not drink receiving a full bar compliment? They must make use of it somehow and what better way to meet people than in sharing.

With the mini bar, you can switch any or all of it out though, for bottled water, coke, diet coke, sprite. Even though there is alcohol in the original bar set up, a simple call to room service can make it totally non-alcoholic. ;)

My wife and I are Elite, but not as many days as some of you. We like to book Suites also. So, how about this one, a one time deal after 275 get a Full Suite for 50% off for a 7 day cruise. That can't put them out that many $$$.

Many of the people who would be getting this half price suite rarely take 7 night cruises. Most likely, we would only take a 7 night cruise is if it were part of a b2b(2b) in Europe or Asia.

Archived