Thoson Dream/Costa Europa update

Just looked on the Costa Europa webcam. She is at sea doing 18 knots and on the virtual map is just south of Crete. So good news. We are booked to go on her in May. Does anyone know where she is heading for her proper repair?

I do think Thomson could have written to let us know what was going on. I called at our local TA where we booked and she didn't know anything about it and was quite shocked to hear it had a 10 foot hole in the side and even more shocked to hear about the fatalities. Think I should apply for her job??

Just looked on the Costa Europa webcam. She is at sea doing 18 knots and on the virtual map is just south of Crete. So good news. We are booked to go on her in May. Does anyone know where she is heading for her proper repair?

I do think Thomson could have written to let us know what was going on. I called at our local TA where we booked and she didn't know anything about it and was quite shocked to hear it had a 10 foot hole in the side and even more shocked to hear about the fatalities. Think I should apply for her job??

Hi Linda,

She's on her way to Palermo in Sicily to finish the repairs. She is due there on the 16th.

It's bad when we know more than both the T.A.'s and the staff on Thomson's helpline. Everytime I phoned I got same info, which was basically they didn't know anything.

Berwyn

Thanks, just off for mother's day lunch. I will check back later to see where she has got to. I'm glad I am not the only one getting fobbed off.

Could Thomson not have just had sent a letter along the line of "I expect you have seen the recent news about the Costa Europa, as far as we know everything is going ahead, but we will let you know of any problems"

If we needed to rebook, we would need to know early, especially as we are booked in a hotel for the second week, so might need to change flights as well.

I was told some weeks ago that she would go into Palermo before the handover, for branding to be changed, with a minor reburb at the same time. so I guess they have brought that forward to carry out full repairs to the damage ready for the first Thomson cruise.

She is a lovely ship and its a shame that she ended her Costa days in this way. but we will be back on her again in September I have no doubt.

Could Thomson not have just had sent a letter along the line of "I expect you have seen the recent news about the Costa Europa, as far as we know everything is going ahead, but we will let you know of any problems"

Hi Linda and Tenpin,

There was a similar statement to that on Thomson's website, but it was really hard to find it. I wouldn't have spotted it if someone else on here hadn't given us the link.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/travel-news/latest-travel-information.html

That was it.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1161462

Linda, most people were posting stuff they found in this thread, above.

Berwyn

As a fanatical Costa cruiser think it came through the grape vine, so to speak.

But like all these things most of the time they are not sure of what is happening themselves, as the events were so unexpected.

Personally think she will sail on the first Thomson cruise as planned.

I looked on marine traffic at 12 noon today and the ship was there but its not now at2.25 pm so where has it gone too.

Hi,

She's still there, but the site has not updated her position since 10 a.m. this morning. Going along nicely at 18 knots still.

Berwyn

That's good to hear that's she's moving :D

Although we know we should be ok for our cruise on her in September, our friends who are due to sail on her first voyage on the 22nd April haven't heard a thing from Thomsons, so their getting the updates from me on here

Although we know we should be ok for our cruise on her in September, our friends who are due to sail on her first voyage on the 22nd April haven't heard a thing from Thomsons, so their getting the updates from me on here

Hi Mack,

No they're not telling us anything either. Apart from they expect to take delivery of her on the due date.

She's now off those pointy fingery bits at the bottom end of Greece. Still belting along at 18 knots.

Berwyn

hi there mack11,

im on the 22nd april cruise, are your friends on this cruise critic site, i havnt met anyone else yet on 1st cruise. it would be good to 'meet' them online.

so glad dream is passing greece now

hi there mack11,

im on the 22nd april cruise, are your friends on this cruise critic site, i havnt met anyone else yet on 1st cruise. it would be good to 'meet' them online.

so glad dream is passing greece now

Hi, Perthorchid,

She should be near the toe of Italy by teatime if she keeps up her speed. She's not doing bad if she can keep going at nearly 75% of top speed all this time. looks like they've done a good job on the outside.

Berwyn

18 knots is probably her most economical cruising speed and I presume they will want as much fuel left in the tank at handover as possible so they will get money from Thomsons for it.

Roll on July and 14 nights of luxury, for Thomsons that is :D

18 knots is probably her most economical cruising speed and I presume they will want as much fuel left in the tank at handover as possible so they will get money from Thomsons for it.

Roll on July and 14 nights of luxury, for Thomsons that is :D

And they'll probably want a 15% tip on top too :D

Berwyn

H,

I was looking at her course earlier and apart from the obvious long sea crossing from Egypt to Crete she seems to have been going not too far from the coast of Greece.

She could have headed straight from Egypt to Straights of Messina.

But she crossed from Crete to the South of Greece at the narrowest part.

It looks like she's staying near the coast just in case of any potential problems.

She'll probably cross to Italy at the shortest sea crossing from Greece.

there's a lot of probablys in there, but how does the theory sound?

Berwyn

Sounds very likely, Berwyn. I was just going to ask how wide the straits of Messina is. I don't know that area, but am going to Sicily in September on the Celebrity Eclipse.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Hope you had a good Mother's Day lunch.

The straights are more than wide enough. We sailed there in April 2008 on the Island Escape, it was cold and dull and later pouring with rain. It brightened up just as we left Messina at about 6 p.m. :-(. It's approx 2 miles wide at the narrowest point.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn, Yes had a lovely meal cooked by my daughter and her partner who are chefs.

Please settle an argument between me and the old man! What is the top speed of Costa Europa? He says the Thomson brochure says 19 knots, but I'm sure I read it was 23. I see you say she is doing 75% of her top speed.

Linda

Hi,

According to the info I found it is 22 knots. But Costa have taken her off their website. I found an external one that said 20 knots. The Thomson's brochure says 19.

I can't see them running her flat out after the collision without full checks if it is 19 and she's been going at over 18 at times.

Berwyn

P.S.

I've found the discrepancy, when built and with the original fittings in she had a top speed of 22.5 knots.

After fixtures and fittings installed to change her to Costa Europa and stretched it dropped to 20 knots max. with 19 knots cruising speed.

The change increased her weight by 12,000 tons and slowed her down

Give your hubby a prize he's spot on :D

Berwyn

Archived