Thoson Dream/Costa Europa update

Thanks Berwyn, Sorry have been off line all afternoon, due to son not paying internet (that is all he pays for!) So have had to get debit card out and will try to get money back off him - ha ha.

Don't praise my husband, he is bigheaded enough already, but how exactly do you "stretch" a ship?

Linda

Thanks Berwyn, Sorry have been off line all afternoon, due to son not paying internet (that is all he pays for!) So have had to get debit card out and will try to get money back off him - ha ha.

Don't praise my husband, he is bigheaded enough already, but how exactly do you "stretch" a ship?

Linda

I see you've got a son like us. We've got one like that and the other will try not to borrow, but if he does you'll get it back ASAP.

Basically stretching the ship involves cutting it in 2 and then they fit a new section in the middle and rejoin the lot.

Fred Olsen have done it to one of their ships too. Means you can get more cabins and passengers on her. Apparently you can tell the new bit from the outside by the fact the windows and portholes in that bit are larger.

Berwyn

Gone off the radar again-but from the onboard webcam still heading "nearly north"-but speed now down to 12 knots??? !!

Hi Dribbler,

It's OK, she's in the shipping lanes for all the ferries in the area. If you are on Marine Traffic site all the ships around her are doing similar speeds.

The site has not updated her position for some time now, 5.15p.m.

The site is often like this out of hours and at weekends, several hours behind in updating the position.

Berwyn

This is getting so exciting :D keep finding her where abouts boys you are so cleaver at keeping us updated thanks to berwyn and co. I have tried to track :rolleyes: but it must be a mans thing ,as I cannot work it out at all :o

mrs.c

This is getting so exciting :D keep finding her where abouts boys you are so cleaver at keeping us updated thanks to berwyn and co. I have tried to track :rolleyes: but it must be a mans thing ,as I cannot work it out at all :o

mrs.c

There's a bit of a trick involved - Go to 'Gallery' then 'Search Photos', type in 'Costa Europa' in Search box, then click on photo of ship, then when the pic comes up, click on 'Ship details' (in red on the right of the photo), then Latitude/Longitude link and it should show current position and track. If you save this site on your favourites whilst you've got the Europa in view, with luck, it will come up again straight away when you click on it. I think!! (And yes, it was a man on here who explained this to me!!:D ) Just hope this works for you! (There's probably a much easier way that someone can suggest but I can't find it!:o )

So pleased that it's all looking so much more positive for you all - have a great trip on the Dream. :)

mrs.c

I agree, thanks very much guys for keeping us informed of her position. I haven't tried to track her like mrs.c above, but I watch all your posts with great interest even though I'm not sailing on her until December. I'm on here every day lapping up anything going about the Europa/Dream

Thanks again Ali

You were right Cymro! she is off Catanzar heading south west at 12 knots and should be at the straights of Messina this afternoon. I wonder if there are webcams looking over the straight so we can grab a look.

If you look at the webcam it looks as if they can't level their webcams or she still has a list to port.

Well done Berwyn!! You were right.

Mrs C - I am new to this site, but I find her by putting into Google -

Costa Europa Webcam

Then I click on Webcam Galore website

When that comes up I click on the picture of the Costa Europa

Then under the webscam is a link to Virtual Map -click on that and it will show where she is.

I don't understand all the degrees etc, but only really look at the speed she is doing. Yes, must be a man thing!

I said to my husband last night, what anoraks we are!! Still, as Thomson are not much help, it is the only way we can find anything out!!

Linda

Morning All,

I see the ship's camera is up to date now.

Thanks Linda for the link, I'd shut the tab and it saved me a job looking for it again.

Don't worry about the anoraks Linda, I'm proudly wearing mine :D

I still can't work out how to do multiple quotes on here after all this time.

Dave, I can only find webcams for the port in Messina, nothing for the straights.

And there's definitely abit more sky on one side of the pics from her from both bow and stern cameras.

Mrs.C. Here's a hotlink to Linda's webcam site above http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/other/ship_cams.asp

Then scroll down to Costa Europa and hit the bow cam .

You can alternate between camera and map showing position.

Berwyn

There's a bit of a trick involved - Go to 'Gallery' then 'Search Photos', type in 'Costa Europa' in Search box, then click on photo of ship, then when the pic comes up, click on 'Ship details' (in red on the right of the photo), then Latitude/Longitude link and it should show current position and track. If you save this site on your favourites whilst you've got the Europa in view, with luck, it will come up again straight away when you click on it. I think!! (And yes, it was a man on here who explained this to me!!:D ) Just hope this works for you! (There's probably a much easier way that someone can suggest but I can't find it!:o )

So pleased that it's all looking so much more positive for you all - have a great trip on the Dream. :)

I think I have a simpler method to track the Europa/Dream. In Google Earth I load the "Places" 'Costa Boats Live Position' from http://www.glooton.fr/costa.kmz.

Then scroll down and select Costa Europa, it will also show the Webcam photos, position information and a nice touch the actual course the ship has taken.

Ron

I think I have a simpler method to track the Europa/Dream. In Google Earth I load the "Places" 'Costa Boats Live Position' from http://www.glooton.fr/costa.kmz.

Then scroll down and select Costa Europa, it will also show the Webcam photos, position information and a nice touch the actual course the ship has taken.

Ron

Thanks for that Ron! Much easier! :)

I'd been using the site below in the past for Celebration & Spirit as they don't have webcams - but Europa's webcam is a good facility.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

I'm grateful to another man for helping out ;)

Ron

Thanks Ron, that worked a treat.

Berwyn

Hi Linda,

She's on her way to Palermo in Sicily to finish the repairs. She is due there on the 16th.

It's bad when we know more than both the T.A.'s and the staff on Thomson's helpline. Everytime I phoned I got same info, which was basically they didn't know anything.

Berwyn

Hi found you on this site, Has she arrived then at Palermo

Tibbygirl:mad:

kruzseeka & Berwyn,

Attached is a kml file (has to be renamed) for use in Google Earth, shows ships of many cruise lines (unfortunately not Thompson).

Download the attached file kfben.txt to kfben.kml and either click on it or open it in Google Earth.

Have fun.

Ron

kfben.txt

Hi found you on this site, Has she arrived then at Palermo

Tibbygirl:mad:

Hi,

No not yet, she's running late, going through the straights of Messina shortly. Looking at her current heading though she looks like she's going to go around Sicily rather than through the straights.

Why are you mad?

Berwyn

Archived