Please help me feel better about my inside cabin

needalatte74

I sailed in an inside cabin during a weekend cruise many many years ago and I swore I would never do it again. Ever since then I've been spoiled with outside cabins and balconies every time. Then again, when its only you and your spouse sailing, its more possible to afford at least a port hole.

This is the first time we are taking a family cruise. And on this 7 day-er with a family of 5... Inside cabins it must be... :-( And I can't take chances with guarantees either, my kids are small and we must have rooms close together.

I know that you barely spend time in your cabin, but I do like to return to my room for an afternoon nap. And I HATE, HATE, HATE not getting sunlight in the mornings...

I know, I know, We're on the cruise and I should stop whining right?? :(

Is there anyway to do an outside cabin for you, with an inside across the hall for the others?

I know if I didn't have the room I wanted, I'd be miserable. If you can do it...then stop worrying about it.

If it's going to ruin your vacation, book what will make you happier! Simple!

You should be fine, just remember an Inside cabin is better than no cabin. Spend alot of time on deck, relax and enjoy! With the whole family along its not a big deal to have an inside. This won't be the last cruise you take, and remind yourself the next one can be a JS or even better! Honestly I've always had an inside, and really enjoy the better-on-the-pocketbook benefit.

Go, relax, enjoy the family! What you will remember about the cruise is the fun family moments, not weather you can see out or not. There's plenty of sunny decks to visit.

Our first cruise we had a balcony since then we've had insides on different ships. We love both. You CAN go back to an inside after having a balcony and still have the BEST cruise ever. Personally I really like the savings with more money for excursions etc and I love the darkness for sleeping. we've always had family and friends on our trips and we didn't spend more than two minutes in our cabins so didn't miss the balcony. There are so many things to do with kids on a ship that I can't imagine you would miss the balcony. But like so many many others have said and it's true......it's all in your attitude. If you go into this cruise wishing you had a bigger/different room then you will feel cheated. If you get over the balcony thing now and go into the trip with the attitude you're going to have fun because its a trip with your family on a great ship going to fabulous places then you'll have the best time ever!!

We had the same issue, but our kids were older, and we choose the option of having rooms across the hall from each other. Kids=inside, parents=balcony. We had room keys for each others cabins, and it all worked out perfectly.

That said, if you still need to be inside, due to cost, it will still be a wonderful vacation away, you probably just won't spend as much time in your cabin. Enjoy your trip whatever you decide! :D

We just booked two rooms - connecting - inside with promenade windows. Hoping that will help! Any thoughts on that?? The price was much more reasonable than porthole or balcony. Hoping to be able to spend more money on excursions!

Another thing to consider is that it will be much easier to nap and get your kids to nap as well if there is no window. The darkness really helps with naps. I have had balconies before and honestly did not use them much. We were only in the cabin to sleep. When I think back on all the cruises I have done, the room is never a part of the best memories-balcony or not. Now if you were on your honeymoon or a romantic getaway, thats a whole different consideration. You will have fun no matter what. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad cruise.

I feel your pain. We are about to book FOS 11/21/10 sail and the only thing holding us up is this decision.

Inside, outside, inside, outside?! GAAAH!

I have done one previous cruise (the rest of the family hasn't) and it was an inside room with 4 gals stuffed in it. I felt like I'd been stuffed into a sardine can. But we were all adults and we had decided to go cheap, so our attitude was pretty positive. And the dark... was pretty awesome for sleeping.

I will be cruising this time with my DH (30) and kids (ages 7 & 6) and I desperately want to book adjoining balcony rooms. But if we could have a great time in an inside or ocean view room, shouldn't I save the money?

This is a tough decision -- tougher than choosing the ship or sail date!

My wife and I just had our first cruise back in Feb, and had an inside room. I have to admit at first we were kind of a little envious getting on the ship seeing everyone hanging out on their balcony. About ten minutes later we were enjoying our cruise and now are booking another. I guess it just depends some cruises the price difference is not that much but in our case we just booked again for our second cruise this year because we basically were able to book two for the price of one balcony.

We have never experienced an outside cabin and probably will one day book one, but for now the cost difference can pay for many many buckets of beer in the hot sun!!

Beautiful wife and I are sailing in June on the Legend. We were able to book a balcony cabin for the 7 nighter.

I LOVE the balcony for extended cruises (more than 4 days). That being said.....Out of the 6 sailings we have made, 4 were in interior rooms. Our first cabin was on a 4 nighter and if it were any closer to the engine room, we would have stank of oil :D. I would take it again in a heartbeat. Cruisin' is the thing. Inside, balcony, whatever! I personally would not spend more money on an Ocean View. Just not worth the extra to me.

Take your wonderful inside cabin and enjoy the afternoon nap in the DARK. A cruise is every bit what you make it. Enjoy, my friend!

EPgal- good suggestion to OP if that is an option for her ship. We have had 2 friends book these Promenade/family cabins on the Explorer OTS and on the Liberty OTS. They are an awesome choice. You can watch all the goings on down in the Promenade- much better place to watch parades and such with little ones too. Another plus is having 2 bathrooms and twice the storage space. I was concerned about the noise factor as these cabins windows face the literal heart of the ship and some nights there are parties and crowds til the wee hours but noise was not an issue for either of the couples who had these rooms. Once couple had the cabin directly over the "pub" that was open w/an acoustic guitar player jamming until 2am each night and had no noise issues and she has very young childrens with her. I would definately look into a promenade/family room for our next sailing w/RC! Have a great cruise!

We occasionally get a balcony when the price is right. Mostly do inside down low ...get wonderful sleep when we book a "bat cave"...I have a little saying that you can substitute anything you want in place of "jewelry": .inside cabin = jewelry.....balcony= No jewelry! Also inside cabins = more cruises!! Have fun! Cruisy Susy

You didn't say what ship (did you?).

I love inside cabins, but Carnival's are pretty spacious. I especially like the Fantasy class insides, because I sail with my DD, and the beds are separate. They're in an "L" configuration which actually gives quite a bit of floor space.

I love it dark when I'm sleeping. I don't want sun in the morning. I want sun when I get up and go up on deck.

I've had two balcony cabins (both on Miracle) and thought they were great. But I have zero problem with an inside. In fact, I won't waste my money on a OV cabin. Looking out the window isn't worth extra money to me. I just get dressed and haul my butt up the stairs and out on deck.

Plenty of "free" deck space on the ship.

I love inside cabins. It means I can sail more often.

Some ships have one of the cabin television "stations" tuned to a view from the bridge (looking forward). Flip through the stations on the TV when you arrive to find which one it is, and then turn it on when you go to bed. As the sun rises the next morning, the screen will gradually lighten and show you the view in front of the ship as if you had a porthole facing that way.

we booked ov for us, inside for kids.... you can all hang out in the ocean view, then when it's time for bed, put the kids in the inside room. (or have one of the grown ups with them on alternating nights?

We have booked an inside on Azura. We've had an inside twice before. OK, so you miss the morning daylight, but just turn the tv on and take a look at the ship's camera. It doesn't bother me at all. Yes I would love a window, but prefer to spend the money elsewhere.

Being in an inside room isn't bad at all. You can use the money you save on other things on your cruise. You're really not in your room that much.

The first cruise I ever went on was for 3 people and we had an inside room. I read things on this site about how dark it was going to be, etc. I brought a nite light with me and we didn't even use it.

To get some extra light at night so we can walk to the bathroom etc. we left the bathroom light on and closed the door - we left it open a little so my 5-year old nephew could see where he was going. You can always leave the TV on without volume. There is a channel that gives you the morning light.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you get the view? No. Do you get to take the cruise? Yes. This is a bit of a change on an old saying, but "a bad day on a cruise in an inside cabin, is still better than a good day at the office."

Do I prefer a verandah? Yes. Would I cruise if I couldn't have one? yes.

Just a thought, but with all the sailors in the Navy and the Marines on amphibious ships, nobody even gets an oceanview except the captain (and the admiral if there is one embarked), so lots and lots of people sail every single day in inside cabins.

Enjoy!

Archived