child pricing

Teresa Price

Hi,

I'm having trouble working out the charge rate for a two year old. I know I could ring them up but I'm not about to book just looking into the logistics of taking our grandson [with his parents] on a 7 day Grand Princess next May. Can anyone help?

many thanks Teresa

Being from the UK, your pricing rules might be a bit different, but over here there is no price adjustment for age. If one is the second person in a cabin, they pay the same price as the first person. 3rd and 4th persons in the cabin pay a reduced fare, but it is the same whether they are age 2 or 20.

Unfortunately Princess is not very "child friendly" in their costing. Not only do they pay regular third/forth person in room but also same gratuities per person. In your research phase of cruise planning I would check out Holland America (they sometimes offer greatly reduced rates on the third/forth passenger)- when travelling with more than two in a cabin - even if the cost of the first 2 is greater than Princess - lesser cost of the children could result in overall less cost of cruise.

This pricing happened to us last year when we added our 21-year-old to our cabin. The rate for him was very close to what we paid for the first two people in the room. We went ahead and did it, but I know it would have been far cheaper on Carnival or HAL. It seems like a 3rd or 4th person should cost less than Princess charges.

There are times, if the first two passengers in the stateroom are discounted, that the rate for 3rd or 4th can be very close (and I have even read sometimes MORE) than those first two passengers. But it is because of the discounting done (usually by a travel agent) for the first two.

As for kids of any age, they are charged the going rate on princess. If a 3rd in a stateroom, they pay the same as adults would pay, no discount for kids. And the auto grautity is also charged for each passenger in the cabin, no matter what the age.

Unfortunately Princess is not very "child friendly" in their costing. Not only do they pay regular third/forth person in room but also same gratuities per person. In your research phase of cruise planning I would check out Holland America (they sometimes offer greatly reduced rates on the third/forth passenger)- when travelling with more than two in a cabin - even if the cost of the first 2 is greater than Princess - lesser cost of the children could result in overall less cost of cruise.

They used to be very child friendly with $199/$299/$399 3rd and 4th fares.

I cruise as a single in a cabin and pay between 175 - 200% of the per-person cost, depending on the cabin type. In other words, I pay for a "phantom" passenger. Is that fair? No. But it's the cost of cruising and it's my choice whether to go or not.

Personally I think child should pay the going price as well as the auto tips.....Any child over the age of two pays full fare when flying, why should cruising be differant??

Before I get flamed please know I have taken my children on three cruises.....and paid the going rate and tipped over and beyond the auto tip for them

Personally I think child should pay the going price as well as the auto tips.....Any child over the age of two pays full fare when flying, why should cruising be differant??

Before I get flamed please know I have taken my children on three cruises.....and paid the going rate and tipped over and beyond the auto tip for them

No flame from me, I totally agree. ;)

I don't have a problem for my child paying the full 3rd person price...after all she does use the kids club, and they are fantastic....and not everyone on the ship uses that service.

One thing that did catch my attention recently that if you are staying in a room with 3 people, the actual price of that room goes up for even the first 2 people. For example If there were 2 people in our cabin it would have been $500pp, plus the fee for the 3rd person...however with there being 3 of us in the same cabin..its now$725pp plus the 3 person fee.

Sadly its just the cost of cruising...it doesn't make me happy, but its still better value then many other vacations out there.

One thing that did catch my attention recently that if you are staying in a room with 3 people, the actual price of that room goes up for even the first 2 people. For example If there were 2 people in our cabin it would have been $500pp, plus the fee for the 3rd person...however with there being 3 of us in the same cabin..its now$725pp plus the 3 person fee.
Hmm, that is a new one on me. I just checked your sailing and indeed, when signed in, the price for an OV is higher for the first two people when 3 are in the room, than when just two are booked. When not signed in the pricing was the same for 2 or 3, so it must have something to do with the CC pricing. But, it also appears that the sailing is waitlisted and N/A for that category, so perhaps the higher price occurred after the OV's filled and before the third person was added? This goes to prove it pays to check the pricing carefully and not make assumptions.

Hmm, that is a new one on me. I just checked your sailing and indeed, when signed in, the price for an OV is higher for the first two people when 3 are in the room, than when just two are booked. When not signed in the pricing was the same for 2 or 3, so it must have something to do with the CC pricing. But, it also appears that the sailing is waitlisted and N/A for that category, so perhaps the higher price occurred after the OV's filled and before the third person was added? This goes to prove it pays to check the pricing carefully and not make assumptions.

I suspect it is because the cabins with 3rd and 4th passenger capacity are in more limited supply. Is the pricing lower for the same cabin if you only book two people or is it just a general one of that category that is lower priced?

Archived