why

jonorma

i have just been looking at some late deals.why are rci charging 160 dollars tax and surcharges on top of the kids price

Given the spare amount of detail you provided, my guess this is becuase port charges apply regardless of the age of the cruiser.

OP is listed as living in Dundee - if this is Dundee, Scotland, then pricing for UK pax is entirely different than US pricing owing partly to travel regulations and partly to market pricing. The Princess pricing structure is often different in the UK than the US.

i have just been looking at some late deals.why are rci charging 160 dollars tax and surcharges on top of the kids price

Because they can! You also need to consider that just because they are children does not exempt them from taxes and port charges. I am sure you would find plenty of CC folks who would advocate for charging higher fees for kids :)

Hank

Port charges are per person, not per adult. A portion of those charges are dictated by the individual ports, not by the cruise line. All cruise lines have to pay it, therefore all cruise passengers have to pay it.

Port charges are per person, not per adult. A portion of those charges are dictated by the individual ports, not by the cruise line. All cruise lines have to pay it, therefore all cruise passengers have to pay it.

Hi Paul,

As someone has already mentioned, OP is in the UK., where by law prices are inclusive of taxes & other such unavoidable costs, or at the very least these costs have to be displayed before commitment. I'm afraid many Brits including yours-truly get up-tight about the lack of pricing transparency amongst US cruise lines. There's been endless threads on the subject.

I do have a slight worry that OP might be looking at a US website, and bookings through US websites are blocked by many cruiselines if the traveller is not resident in the US or Canada.

So the OP may be off on a wild goose, chasing a red herring down a road to nowhere :confused:

Endless threads on this subject too.

Regards,

John Bull

Hi Paul,

As someone has already mentioned, OP is in the UK., where by law prices are inclusive of taxes & other such unavoidable costs, or at the very least these costs have to be displayed before commitment. I'm afraid many Brits including yours-truly get up-tight about the lack of pricing transparency amongst US cruise lines. There's been endless threads on the subject.

Hi, John.

Gotcha. That makes sense. :)

Hi again, Paul,

Just noticed your own location. Conch Republic.

Is that anywhere near the Banana Republic? :)

JB

lol. :D The Conch Republic is the Florida Keys. On April 23, 1982, the Florida Keys attempted a secession from the union due to a U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint put up at the entrance to the Keys. The name "Conch Republic" was to be our new name. Since then, the name has stuck.

See below:

https://book.princess.com/reserve/pricingchart.page

This is from the Princess web site - showing taxes and port charges.

It says your session has expired. Princess does not add port charges in the US. .... nor does any other cruiseline. ALL cruiselines since the mid 1990s have been required to include the port charges into the cruise fares after a suit by the FL AG. So, US pricing laws may be different?

Sometimes there is confusion on CC regarding Port Charges and Taxes and 3rd/4th passengers in a cabin being "free" or "$99."

Even if a passenger is "free" those charges still apply and TAs I've worked with have been VERY ckear about this.....................

and, YES, you DO still paytips on those "free" passengers.:p

Archived