Paying B4 Deadline

Are there any advantages of paying off your cruise before the due date?

I always pay way before the deadline. One less worry, and I feel good that it is taken care of. Just got off the Ruby Princess on Monday, thnk the deadline was sometime in January. I had mine paid off by late July. But everyone does things differently. No right or wrong way. My cruise next month on the Infinity, forget when final was due, but mine was paid off around October. Again, just a matter of preference for me.

Anieeee

Two advantages, one small, the other possibly not of any importance to you:

1. There's no chance you could let the deadline slip by.

2. If you pay before the deadline using an RC VISA, you have ample time to collect those double-points and turn them into OBC for THIS CRUISE.

Two advantages, one small, the other possibly not of any importance to you:

1. There's no chance you could let the deadline slip by.

2. If you pay before the deadline using an RC VISA, you have ample time to collect those double-points and turn them into OBC for THIS CRUISE.

The deadline is usually 70 days out. I've always been able to redeem my points after final payment and use them for OBC.

Are there any advantages of paying off your cruise before the due date?

There are none but you should ask yourself the following question:"Is it better that I hold on to the final payment money or should I just let RCI hold on to the money?"

Yes, there is an advantage if you are using a credit card for frequent flyer miles. I pay my cruises off if the price of the cruise will bump me to another free roundtrip on Southwest, which is the airline we use to most U.S. departure ports. In order to get the award and a good selection of seats, I will pay off my cruise when the seats for that cruise date opens up. Sometimes that's 6 months in advance of the cruise. At today's interest rates it's not as if I'm losing a tub 'o money paying off early to get my free flight.

I always pay way before the deadline. One less worry, and I feel good that it is taken care of. Just got off the Ruby Princess on Monday, thnk the deadline was sometime in January. I had mine paid off by late July. But everyone does things differently. No right or wrong way. My cruise next month on the Infinity, forget when final was due, but mine was paid off around October. Again, just a matter of preference for me.

Anieeee

We are scheduled to be on the FOS 9/12/10 and I've already paid for mine. I agree, it's one less thing to worry about. And I know since it's paid we'll be going! Doesn't make it right or wrong, just personal preference.

...if you pay before the deadline, and the cruise price goes down, will you still get a refund or will you have to settle for OBC? My understanding is up until final payment; you can have a price reduction (less due at deadline)....afterwards OBC or cabin upgrade only.

Mitch

...if you pay before the deadline, and the cruise price goes down, will you still get a refund or will you have to settle for OBC? My understanding is up until final payment; you can have a price reduction (less due at deadline)....afterwards OBC or cabin upgrade only.

Mitch

We paid our June cruise off about a week before final payment was due. Two days after I made payment (but before actual final payment was due) I noticed a decrease in the price. Received refund on our VISA. 2 price reductions SINCE final payment deadline passed, and now we have $300 on board credit!

The deadline is usually 70 days out. I've always been able to redeem my points after final payment and use them for OBC.
IF everything goes just so, yes, you can do it. But if your billing cycle doesn't work in your favor, if there's a holiday that slows down the processing of the forms, or if anything else should fail, you might not get them processed in time. Remember, you have to get the forms in the mail from the credit card company and then mail them to the cruise line. I personally feel better having a little bit of extra time.
Yes, there is an advantage if you are using a credit card for frequent flyer miles. I pay my cruises off if the price of the cruise will bump me to another free roundtrip on Southwest, which is the airline we use to most U.S. departure ports.
And that's something that's unique for each person. In your situation, paying off the cruise put your over the edge. For someone else who had fewer points, paying it off might not make any difference.

I do play the credit card reward game. I pay attention especially to large purchases and figure out who's going to give me the most for my money. For example, today's the last day of Discover card's 5% back at grocery stores . . . I made a point of doing a big stock-up shopping trip today. I could've waited 'til the weekend, but I wanted that little bit extra.

IF everything goes just so, yes, you can do it. But if your billing cycle doesn't work in your favor, if there's a holiday that slows down the processing of the forms, or if anything else should fail, you might not get them processed in time. Remember, you have to get the forms in the mail from the credit card company and then mail them to the cruise line. I personally feel better having a little bit of extra time. And that's something that's unique for each person. In your situation, paying off the cruise put your over the edge. For someone else who had fewer points, paying it off might not make any difference.

I do play the credit card reward game. I pay attention especially to large purchases and figure out who's going to give me the most for my money. For example, today's the last day of Discover card's 5% back at grocery stores . . . I made a point of doing a big stock-up shopping trip today. I could've waited 'til the weekend, but I wanted that little bit extra.

You and I think alike! I watch my Visa credits like a hawk. I have them estimated a year in advance, so I know when my regular monthly expenses will get to a certain level, and then I know if paying for a future cruise, hotels, other air, etc., will bump me over to get the Southwest flight. I have two freebies right now, and already booked for a one-way to Seattle this September for the Rhapsody, and the other for a roundtrip to my son and future dil's wedding shower in May.

Mitch

If you don't use up the obc on the cruise, then they credit it back to your credit card, or you can get it in cash at the Customer Service desk the last day of the cruise. We got the credit, and my MIL got hers in cash last December on the Independence.

Archived