Dinner in Windjammer

If you eat at Windjammer in the evening--- is it buffet or do they serve you?

Can you order the same menu items from the diningroom on room service in the evening or is only that which is on the room service menu?

It's ALWAYS a buffet...they will help you out a bit more at dinner...not all of the MDR items are in the buffet...some..not all!

And on the room service menu...again...not all, but some of the items are the same...no lobster tail, unless you're in the dining room!

Can you order the same menu items from the diningroom on room service in the evening or is only that which is on the room service menu?

WJ is buffet but they do have linens on the table. They also have people walking around with beverages/wines. They often have many of the same items you can find in the dining room, as well as many other items. I found that they have a few appetizers (including the fruity soup, yum), one of the main entrees (not lobster or any of the 'big' items found in the dining room), all of the 'alternative options' like minute steak, chicken, and pasta, and then one of the desserts from the dining room menu.

I just got off Liberty of the Seas 3/21-3/28.

I've been successful ordering from the dining room menu in room service. I've never attempted to order lobster, but can't understand why they wouldn't send you one. I certainly understand why they wouldn't send you more than one per person in your cabin . Though, I admit to ordering 2 soups and 2 spinach dips for dinner once. Come on...they're teeny portions and I was eating it as a meal. :)

Windjammer dinner...nothing exciting. It's purely sustinance, not something to look forward to. Some nights, it's barely sustinance. I hate the main dining room so I deal with the Windjammer or room service. When I want something decent, I'll go to Johnny Rockets. I'm a grease addict, but try to limit it because my stomach and diet can't take too much anymore.

The Windjammer at dinner is laid out in buffet style, I find it a refreshing choice from the MDR. I truly cannot understand what people complain about:confused: In all thr cruise that I have taken have I never gotten sick from the food.

I personally enjoy having the option to pick an choose what I want to eat. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I go there because I want to eat not impress myself or anyone else:D

As most have said-yup-buffet style but a much different experience you will get compared to the lunch and dinner mayham!!;)

We've always opted out of formal night and eat at the WJ. The wait staff is attentive and have often gone over an above for little things. One even went and got the escargot being served in the MDR that night for us.

The WJ is good for lots of reasons. The food is buffet but there are lots of choices. You can eat early and still catch the early show in the theater, leaving time to go to the Schooner Bar or get to sleep early. I like the MDR but have found it tedious if I go there every night. Sometimes I just want to have a nice meal that does not take 1 1/2 hours.

Enjoy the WJ one night early in your cruise and decide for yourself if you want to go back.

On our upcoming Oct. cruise, we will eat in the windjammer every night. The WJ is not as busy at dinner as it is at breakfast and lunch. Linen on the tables and the lights are turned lower. It suits us fine. I am not even taking anything that would be approperiate to wear in the MDR.

We're are not fans of buffets and will not eat breakfast or lunch there.....its just not a pleasant experience. The food is mediocre and crowds atrocious, at least on the big ships. But dinner at WJ is just a much better experience, better food and variety(even sushi ), better service, you can dine at your own pace, and much better atmosphere overall. Plus being more casual, it works better after a long port day. We usually mix up WJ between MDR and a couple of the specialty restaurants. Give it a try and see if you like it. By the way, we love room service ! Especially for breakfast....even if it is not listed on the door card, write in what you want.

We're are not fans of buffets and will not eat breakfast or lunch there.....its just not a pleasant experience. The food is mediocre and crowds atrocious, at least on the big ships. But dinner at WJ is just a much better experience, better food and variety(even sushi ), better service, you can dine at your own pace, and much better atmosphere overall. Plus being more casual, it works better after a long port day. We usually mix up WJ between MDR and a couple of the specialty restaurants. Give it a try and see if you like it. By the way, we love room service ! Especially for breakfast....even if it is not listed on the door card, write in what you want.

Hey....are you related to Jakuheadpupule???? He was one of my favorite people in his day in Hawaii!!:D

Rick

I have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer. But on our most recent Mariner cruise (March0 I went up there to see what they had for dinner. I was pleasantly surprised. There was a big selection of food. They even had chicken breasts and pork chops that will grill fresh for. There was an impressive array of appetizers and entres and desserts. Several items were not available in the dining room. There was a big spread of sushi. The lights are dimmed and the tables have tableclothes. It was a nice atmosphere. Maybe next cruise I will give it a try.

Back on the subject of the Windjammer........my guess is that we eat dinner in the Windjammer about 80 percent of the time on our cruises. Trying to think back on our last 6 cruises, we have only eaten dinner in the Main Dining Room......6 times.

We love the Windjammer! I can get a steak, cooked the way I want it, and the service is next to none........fabulous!! Tableclothes, silver set, salt and pepper shakers.......and, it's quiet!

Our experiences......without going into detail.......have been far better in the Windjammer, than they ever have in the MDR.;):)

Rick

Back on the subject of the Windjammer........my guess is that we eat dinner in the Windjammer about 80 percent of the time on our cruises. Trying to think back on our last 6 cruises, we have only eaten dinner in the Main Dining Room......6 times.

We love the Windjammer! I can get a steak, cooked the way I want it, and the service is next to none........fabulous!! Tableclothes, silver set, salt and pepper shakers.......and, it's quiet!

Our experiences......without going into detail.......have been far better in the Windjammer, than they ever have in the MDR.;):)

Rick

I agree. Not every WJ does cooked to order steaks, but you can find stir fry, Indian choices and a much calmer ambiance than in the hustle/bustle dining room.

I agree. Not every WJ does cooked to order steaks, but you can find stir fry, Indian choices and a much calmer ambiance than in the hustle/bustle dining room.

Where they cook the eggs to order in the morning.........that's where you will find the cooks to prepare your steak.

Are we cruising together again.........soon???;):)

Rick

Where they cook the eggs to order in the morning.........that's where you will find the cooks to prepare your steak.

Rick

get out!!!

I need to open my eyes.

All the times I've had dinner there-never freakin' noticed that!:o

I will so look next cruise.:)

Rick

I agree about the WJ. Much more quiet and a very good selection.

GEEZ folks!! All of this discussion about dinner in the Windjammer... Now everyone will know about our well kept secret. :(

Before you know it we will have the breakfast & lunch crowds... :p

You have noticed the breakfast crowd????:D:D:D

So, maybe I won't tell them that they can also get the $$$ steak, charged to their account.........if they make proper arangements!;)

Rick

Oh, my gosh.......I almost forgot.........another favorite thing about the WJ!

Sushi!!!:D

They have an area set aside for Asian food, from (honest to God) miso soup, with tofu, to the plates of sushi that you see above!

Sometimes, we just love to enjoy a bit of Asian, and they also will serve (at a cost) sake!

I almost forgot........thanks for the great memories!!:)

Rick

If you're a Sushi aficionado dont get too excited. I dont know about Freedom and Oasis class, but WJ on Explorer this is the Sushi

One is cucumber, one is fake crab, one seaweed, one avocado, one vegetable and dont laugh, one is ham! lol

For health reasons, almost all the sushi that you will find at a buffet on the ship rarely contains genuine raw fish. No one needs to get food poisoning. Having said that, I have found some excellent 'pseudo sushi' selections each evening in the WJ on several of the cruises I have been on. The WJ is a nice place for dinner. You will find several crew members eating there each evening. It is not opulent, but it is decent, with a wide variety, nice, clean and convenient. The MDR is nice for a few evenings, but variety is nice and the WJ makes it easy to catch an early show and still get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

I've been successful ordering from the dining room menu in room service. I've never attempted to order lobster, but can't understand why they wouldn't send you one. I certainly understand why they wouldn't send you more than one per person in your cabin . Though, I admit to ordering 2 soups and 2 spinach dips for dinner once. Come on...they're teeny portions and I was eating it as a meal. :)

Windjammer dinner...nothing exciting. It's purely sustinance, not something to look forward to. Some nights, it's barely sustinance. I hate the main dining room so I deal with the Windjammer or room service. When I want something decent, I'll go to Johnny Rockets. I'm a grease addict, but try to limit it because my stomach and diet can't take too much anymore.

Possibly if they greased up the food in the Windjammer to match J.R.'s you might find it more appealing?

We gave up the MDR several cruises ago. We didn't like all the noise and commotion. We started eating all of our meals in the Windjammer and would never consider going back to the MDR. I think the food is just fine and we love the relaxed atmosphere as well as not being on a schedule. Schedules are for work not for vacation.

(btw- beware...that Sushi is not sushi folks, it just looks like it lol)

On my last Radiance cruise, they had eel rolls. I guess it was ok to serve since the eel was cooked. I was delighted to see it because I haven't seen it on other cruises.

I have to say that I HATE buffets but love the thought that this is an oasis for the evening as an alternative to the MDR...I love Sashimi is they have that with the miso soup in the asian area...and the attentive service sounds nice. i do believe I will see if our crew is up for a shot at this place. I am new to RCI...only having had cruise Celebrity and getting ready to put Azamara under my belt. But, I did like the sushi bar on Celebrity very much was a great snack before happy hour.

Thanks for the temptations and making this old girl think about changing her mindset.:p

Archived