swimming with children who wear nappies??

we on going on the voyager in may with 2 children that still wear nappies, is there no way they can swim in ANY pools?? they love swimming!!!!!

No pools! Also, for Adventure Ocean, they must be 3 and fully potty trained.

No pools, but there is a baby splash zone they can play in. Not sure if it's on all ships, so you might want to check.

There are Baby Splash Zones on the Freedom class, Oasis and Allure. Not sure about Voyager class.

No pools, but there is a baby splash zone they can play in. Not sure if it's on all ships, so you might want to check.

No baby splash zone on the Voyager, I don't believe. Freedom class and up. Sorry but baby's must be potty trained and no swim diapers

Most ships don't have the filtration, nor can any ship use the sanitation chemicals that land-based pools use, so nappies and the water flowing through and spreading microbes from the contents become a public health risk.

smuggle booze, try to bring an iron on board, etc.

But one thing you have got to do....adhere to the rules regarding ptty trained little ones!

There are not neutralizing chemicals used in the pools...you are jeopardizing the health of many if you "sneak" you little one into the pools.

Please, as someone has already said....stick to the beaches.

We were on a cruise in Dec.A mother put her toddler in the pool with a swim diaper.Security told her to remove the child,she refused.It became a very heated argument.They pointed out the rules to her.She yelled she was not a USA citizen and the rules did not apply to her.Long story short the captain put her and the family off at the next stop.We were thankful to have them gone.

Cruise ships get a lot of negative press when there's a viral or bacterial outbreak of some sort on a ship.

A lot of ships do not have the capabilities to use chemicals in their pools to sanitize the pool water since most pools are drained back into the ocean (they can't dispose of those chemicals in the ocean without having an impact on the environment)

Swim nappies will contain solid wastes but they won't stop the germs from those wastes from contaminating the water.

I'm sure the last thing the cruise line wants is some good old fashioned e.coli contaminating the pool water while people are walking out of the pool to eat lunch... munch on a pizza or something.

A lot of parents of toddlers recommend bringing along an inflatable pool for the children.

cynthia-rowley-pool.jpg

Although, if your child is old enough to start considering potty training, the cruise might be good incentive to start training!

Cruise ships get a lot of negative press when there's a viral or bacterial outbreak of some sort on a ship.

A lot of ships do not have the capabilities to use chemicals in their pools to sanitize the pool water since most pools are drained back into the ocean (they can't dispose of those chemicals in the ocean without having an impact on the environment)

Swim nappies will contain solid wastes but they won't stop the germs from those wastes from contaminating the water.

I'm sure the last thing the cruise line wants is some good old fashioned e.coli contaminating the pool water while people are walking out of the pool to eat lunch... munch on a pizza or something.

A lot of parents of toddlers recommend bringing along an inflatable pool for the children.

cynthia-rowley-pool.jpg

Although, if your child is old enough to start considering potty training, the cruise might be good incentive to start training!

While I keep reading this suggestion I´m real curious about where would you put it on a crowded pool deck? How do you fill it and more importantly how do you get it emptied?

Having been a lifeguard, swim coach, and water safety instructor for over 10 years, I can guarantee that even the "Swim diapers" will leak in a pool. I have tested Thousands of water samples that would make your skin crawl, some from public pools, and some from country clubs. I have to imagine that the water on the ships is worse. PLEASE keep your un-potty-trained children OUT of the pool.

PS.... I will swim in the ocean, but I won't go in the ships pools at all....ever. Hotubs are worse!

And what exactly are those parents supposed to do with the contaminated water in the inflatable pool when their child is done playing in it? Dump it out on the pool deck?

While I keep reading this suggestion I´m real curious about where would you put it on a crowded pool deck? How do you fill it and more importantly how do you get it emptied?

And what exactly are those parents supposed to do with the contaminated water in the inflatable pool when their child is done playing in it? Dump it out on the pool deck?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1165631

Other posters have described filling it with buckets from the pool or from an outdoor shower. They then dispose of the water into a floor drain or janitor's closet sink, as not to possibly contaminate the pool water supply. Our *almost* potty-trained little girl loves to swim, so hoping we can at least use the inflatable pool. We just don't want to break any rules or get in anyone's way. If we can afford a balcony, I suppose we can just use the little pool there.

Sorry, took me a while to find it.

Having been a lifeguard, swim coach, and water safety instructor for over 10 years, I can guarantee that even the "Swim diapers" will leak in a pool. I have tested Thousands of water samples that would make your skin crawl, some from public pools, and some from country clubs. I have to imagine that the water on the ships is worse. PLEASE keep your un-potty-trained children OUT of the pool.

PS.... I will swim in the ocean, but I won't go in the ships pools at all....ever. Hotubs are worse!

This is the reason that I stay clear of ALL public pools and hot tubs.

This is the reason that I stay clear of ALL public pools and hot tubs.

Yeah, you don't even want to know that nastiness I have seen. At the country club I worked out, we had 2 small children take their messy diapers off IN THE POOL! The managers refused to shut down the pool and clean it because it might "Anger the members!" That was the last straw, and I left. Part of the job of the lifeguards at that time was to be in one section of the pool while guarding it. I was not going to risk my health and stand in that contaminated water. I also called the health department on them, and they had to shut the pool down for a whole week. Seems to me like 3 hours to clean and filter the pool would have been much easier than explaining to the 3000 members why they had to shut down for an entire week!

At our condo in Florida the pool was closed for several days because someone did not follow the "potty trained child" rules-- it's such a big health risK!

I always do my pool swimming in the early part of the day..hopefully the water has been either changed or has been filtered suficiently overnight!!

Yeah, you don't even want to know that nastiness I have seen. At the country club I worked out, we had 2 small children take their messy diapers off IN THE POOL! The managers refused to shut down the pool and clean it because it might "Anger the members!" That was the last straw, and I left. Part of the job of the lifeguards at that time was to be in one section of the pool while guarding it. I was not going to risk my health and stand in that contaminated water. I also called the health department on them, and they had to shut the pool down for a whole week. Seems to me like 3 hours to clean and filter the pool would have been much easier than explaining to the 3000 members why they had to shut down for an entire week!

The water parks in WI Dells are very serious about safety and doo-doo in the pools. No questions asked, the pool gets shut down for one hour for cleaning. Not sure if that one hour is sufficient, but they sure do make a great effort!

The water parks in WI Dells are very serious about safety and doo-doo in the pools. No questions asked, the pool gets shut down for one hour for cleaning. Not sure if that one hour is sufficient, but they sure do make a great effort!

1 hour is sufficient, IF, they run the filtration on high for that entire hour, and beyond, PLUS if they dump in several gallons of chlorine bleach or bromine (similar to chlorine, but less harsh on skin, eyes, and clothes) into the affected area. The amount needed depends on the volume of water, and the ability of the filtration system to pump water efficiently.

We were on a cruise in Dec.A mother put her toddler in the pool with a swim diaper.Security told her to remove the child,she refused.It became a very heated argument.They pointed out the rules to her.She yelled she was not a USA citizen and the rules did not apply to her.Long story short the captain put her and the family off at the next stop.We were thankful to have them gone.

Kudos to that captain.

Having been a lifeguard too, I've seen a lot, and there's no way I'd want to swim with small kids in diapers. Sorry! But wait...did I read a while back that they cannot use chemicals in the pool (ie. chlorine?)...does this mean that the pools are saltwater? (First-time cruise here, please forgive my stupid questions)

Archived