your favorite departure port from our choices?

gerry48

hi,

wife and I did our first ever cruise this past february out of long beach on splendor.

we enjoyed the whole experience and loved long beach.

we are torn between triumph from new orleans for 5 days in september, valor for 7 days from miami or freedom from fort lauderdale.

I know everyone likes different things but what are some opinions?

My favorite port is my home port NY/NJ because we don't have to fly, orone where you can at the least get a reasonably priced direct flight. Otherwise it is always nice to leave from a tourist city because we consider this part of the vacation and always fly in a day early and possibly stay an extra day. Some cities I can think of where it is great to spend an extra day or two are San Diego, Seattle, and just about any of the port cities in Europe. I've never sailed out of New Orleans, but I have visited there (pre Katrina) and I remember people from a cruise ship were out one night of Mardi Gras so the port must be near the tourist area. While New York is a great place to vacation you would probably want to stay in Manhattan which is pricey and not that convenient to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal or the Brooklyn cruise terminal.

While you didn't ask, we like longer cruises. Shorter cruises are often party cruises and if I am correct that the Triumph is a Carnival ship, the shorter Carnival cruises have a reputation for a lot of partying (although September is usually a quieter time of year).

hi,

wife and I did our first ever cruise this past february out of long beach on splendor.

we enjoyed the whole experience and loved long beach.

we are torn between triumph from new orleans for 5 days in september, valor for 7 days from miami or freedom from fort lauderdale.

I know everyone likes different things but what are some opinions?

If you mean in relation to boarding, getting to airports, etc... I can't help.

If you mean which is more fun to spend an extra day or two in? Miami is great and so is NOLA. But if I had to choose.......................

******NOLA!!!!*******

I like Miami...it's close to the airport, easy to navigate, and they know what they're doing at that port...we've never had any issues there.

I'll disagree. Last year, in January, there was ONE (1), I'll repeat ONE US Customs agent there when the NCL Dawn returned. Everyone may assume there was a lot of waiting, carping, teeth gnashing, whining and all-around general disgruntlement.

Me? I like to stay gruntled.

New Orleans for sure.

There seems to be two different tracks to the answers here. We recommended New Orleans since its a fun place to spend a few days pre or post cruise. As to airports, Ft Lauderdale is the closest airport to a port (Port Everglades) not to mention the cheapest and fastest taxi ride. Miami is also convenient but a bit further from the Port of Miami.

Hank

Hank is correct about distances from the airports to the piers. A cab from FLL to the port is about a 15 minute ride. Miami less than 30 and New Orleans about 20. These estimates are based on low traffic times. In all three cities cabs are better than cruise shuttles.

If you are traveling from a distant location you will probably find more flights to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Southwest serves NOLA and FLL but not Miami. Most other major airlines service all three.

If you plan on staying in the port city either before or after the cruise New Orleans is the easiest city to enjoy on foot. If the things you wish to experience are not within a 10 to 20 minute walk the busses and street cars will take you most everywhere you want to go. The World War II museum is about a 10 minute walk from the pier. The French Quarter is less than 15 minutes away. You can catch a street car on Canal in five minutes. There are scores of hotels at every price point within walking distance. The only issue I have with a city I visit at least twice a year is the number of events festivals and conventions that bring tremendous crowds to town. The Convention and Visitors web site has a listing for all of these events.

Attractions in the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale area are spread out and you would need a car. It's no biggie but traffic can be heavy on I 95 and there are plenty of crazy drivers there.

Personally I'd opt for a seven day cruise unless I could piggyback it with a port stay. There's nothing better than packing and unpacking once.

Have a great cruise.

A great departure port/city is San Diego. The pier is a stones throw from the airport or the downtown area. Downtown is safe,clean, and reasonably priced. Wonderful harbor within walking distance. We stayed there 2 days precruise and it was almost as much fun as our HAL cruise.

Rich

I love to spend a couple of days in the French Quarter before sailing out of NO.

We spend our time listening to great music, eating oysters, gumbo and po-boys and thinking "Life doesn't get any better than this!". Then we wake up on Sunday morning, have a 10 minute trip to the ship...and it does!

Hank is correct about distances from the airports to the piers. A cab from FLL to the port is about a 15 minute ride. Miami less than 30 and New Orleans about 20. These estimates are based on low traffic times. In all three cities cabs are better than cruise shuttles.

If you are traveling from a distant location you will probably find more flights to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Southwest serves NOLA and FLL but not Miami. Most other major airlines service all three.

If you plan on staying in the port city either before or after the cruise New Orleans is the easiest city to enjoy on foot. If the things you wish to experience are not within a 10 to 20 minute walk the busses and street cars will take you most everywhere you want to go. The World War II museum is about a 10 minute walk from the pier. The French Quarter is less than 15 minutes away. You can catch a street car on Canal in five minutes. There are scores of hotels at every price point within walking distance. The only issue I have with a city I visit at least twice a year is the number of events festivals and conventions that bring tremendous crowds to town. The Convention and Visitors web site has a listing for all of these events.

Attractions in the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale area are spread out and you would need a car. It's no biggie but traffic can be heavy on I 95 and there are plenty of crazy drivers there.

Personally I'd opt for a seven day cruise unless I could piggyback it with a port stay. There's nothing better than packing and unpacking once.

Have a great cruise.

Good post, and I would also vote for NOLA. However, the airport is in Kenner, and it took us 40 minutes to get from the airport to our hotel on Canal Street....the traffic wasn't even that bad, it's just a long drive. From our hotel, it was a short walk to the Quarter and that big shopping mall (I've forgotten the name) on the waterfront. We did a city tour and a cemetery tour (VERY enjoyable and informative!). I've done South Beach from Miami. I did this on my own, and it was OK, but very expensive just to get a meal or drink. The BEST post-excursion tour from either FLL or MIA is the Everglades airboat excursion.

Archived