Kids Charging Privileges

nicki1pt

My daughter is 11. Do you give kids charging privileges? How do you set it up so you can put just a certain amount of money on their room card? I'm guessing she would only need it for the arcade and some soda, right,...what is a good amount to allow for kids spending for a week?

Thanks!

My daughter is 11. Do you give kids charging privileges? How do you set it up so you can put just a certain amount of money on their room card? I'm guessing she would only need it for the arcade and some soda, right,...what is a good amount to allow for kids spending for a week?

Thanks!

For soda, you just get them a soda card - unlimited juice, punch and soda for the length of the cruise - it's approx. $25 give or take based upon the length of the cruise.

And though I have never done it, I think you can put money onto their card, without them having general charging privilges. My son is 12, and a huge video game fan, but hasn't asked once for arcade money, so I haven't done it. Since he won't be in camp this year, and his age group tends to hang around in the arcade, I may do it...if and when he asks! :)

The only charging choices you can assign to family members traveling with you on Carnival are privileges or no privileges. Our families set no privileges for all the kids, even the 18-YO. They do buy the soda cards for them--that way they can get sodas and juices anytime. Also there is unlimited pizza (and on some ships deli sandwiches and hamburgers/hot dogs) 24/7. If they need something beyond that which is available to all, they can ask a parent/grandparent if they will come and buy it for them.

On RCI, you can put a limit on the kid's cards.. or put a cash amount onto her card...when it's gone, too bad!

You're right...there's not alot that would interest a kid, except the arcade....and of course, you have a chat about what she can and cannot do while on the ship, including buying things!

When my son was around 12 we put a limit on his card (on RCI). You just go to the guest services desk and there is a form there to fill out. This kept him within his limit. Since then, and always have with our daughter since she started sailing at 14, we don't bother. Instead we have a chat before we leave home on how much we are willing to let them charge and on what. We have a nightly sit down and review charges on the TV (all ships we have sailed on have your daily charges available that way) to see what they have used. If they look like they are going through their allotment too quick (DS in the arcade . . .) or have a charge we did not know about there are some consequences or we discuss how to limit in the future.

Of course, we get the soda cards for them so not a lot of extras needed. On our last cruise DD (19 at the time) didn't spend even a $.01. DS used up his allotment on video games :(.

No matter what you decide make sure to talk with the kids before sailing to let them know the expectations and consequences. We've found this is the best way deal with it for us.

We've never placed any limit or restricted charging for our DD (now 14YO but has been cruising since she was <5YO). She knows that there are things on the cruise that cost money and that mom and dad can look at her account on the TV at any time.

Generally, since she's graduated out of the kids club to the teens club, we've discussed it ahead of time. She doesn't really like soda that much so we don't do soda - she can charge a couple of special non-alcoholic drinks for herself during a cruise, same with coffee drinks or special ice cream/gelato or crepes or whatever. She makes certain she knows how much something is before she orders, signs and keeps the receipt (better than mom does). She'll report back. She's always done a good job of keeping her charges under control.

I look at it as a good experience -- giving her (well controlled) freedom and responsibility.

Overall she's a level-headed kid, her cousin (DH's grand niece) who is the same age is another matter entirely -- when we've taken her with, her account is restricted and she knows DD cannot charge anything for her either -- she needs something, she has to find us. Completely different kid :D -- give her a dime and she'll spend five dollars!

We're sailing on RCI at the end of the year, and my children (12, 11, 2 weeks shy of 10 then) will be allowed to set up cash accounts on their cards. The amounts are up to them, as it will be money that they earn and bring for this purpose. We're suggesting something between $20 and $50 for a few trips to Ben and Jerry's and maybe a couple to Johnny Rockets (grandparents are coming and are likely to treat to one or both of these at some point). They don't usually drink soda, so I don't think they'd miss it, but if they want to get a card, it's their money.

I have never restricted my kids cards. They know how much money ahead of time they are allowed to spend based on how much allowance they have saved and brought with them. They are happy drinking the ice tea or lemonade during the day and just ask for a specialty drink when they are with us. When they go to the arcade they let us that they will be purchasing tokens...they have never gone overboard with spending in the arcade - $20 tops. If they want to get a souvineer we are usually with them in the store so we just get it. My kids are 13 and 15 we will be going on our 7th cruise this summer. I trust them enough to not worry about restricting their cards.

The only charging choices you can assign to family members traveling with you on Carnival are privileges or no privileges. Our families set no privileges for all the kids, even the 18-YO. They do buy the soda cards for them--that way they can get sodas and juices anytime. Also there is unlimited pizza (and on some ships deli sandwiches and hamburgers/hot dogs) 24/7. If they need something beyond that which is available to all, they can ask a parent/grandparent if they will come and buy it for them.

Actually, you can set a limit for your children. We limited my son to charging up to $50 on our last cruise. We would have had to go to the purser's desk to approve any amounts above that.

I just filled out our set sail pass today and gave my 11 yr old daughter no privileges for charging. I am buying her a soda card (that is the same as pop, right ;)). We don't really "do" video games and if she wants an ice cream then she can ask me and I will buy it for her. It isn't that I don't trust my daughter, rather at 11 she could misplace her card as she gets busy playing and I think it just lessens the probability of a hassle if it is lost.

I just filled out our set sail pass today and gave my 11 yr old daughter no privileges for charging. I am buying her a soda card (that is the same as pop, right ;)). We don't really "do" video games and if she wants an ice cream then she can ask me and I will buy it for her. It isn't that I don't trust my daughter, rather at 11 she could misplace her card as she gets busy playing and I think it just lessens the probability of a hassle if it is lost.

Yep, same here. At 10, my daughter left her card laying around during activities and lost it. I remember one being water balloon wars -- she changed her clothes into swim wear and placed her card with her clothes -- then lost the card (this was on Carnival).

So I just never activate hers. If she wants something then I can buy it for her.

This is what we have always done with our teenaged son as well for those very same reasons....I can't tell you the number of times I have found his bank card in the wash:rolleyes:

It is the same as a a pop card and we call it a pop card too and get funny looks.

What happens if a kid loses their card? Can you dispute the charges? We will be on RCL. My 15 year old is very responsible so I wouldn't hesitate to allow him to charge. My DH is usually the one who loses something on vacation...wallet, credit card. What happens to the charges?

We will be sailing RCI early next year. I think we will probably get the soda cards for the kids but I'm wondering about these other cards that you're talking about. Other than the arcade and souveniers, is there anything else the kids would need money on a card for? Thanks!

What happens if a kid loses their card? Can you dispute the charges? We will be on RCL. My 15 year old is very responsible so I wouldn't hesitate to allow him to charge. My DH is usually the one who loses something on vacation...wallet, credit card. What happens to the charges?

Have never had it happen so not really sure. This is why we tell our kids if you realize you lost your card tell us ASAP. Just go to guest relations and they will de-activate the old card and get you a new one so the sooner you go the less risk you have.

We will be sailing RCI early next year. I think we will probably get the soda cards for the kids but I'm wondering about these other cards that you're talking about. Other than the arcade and souveniers, is there anything else the kids would need money on a card for? Thanks!

The main things kids may need $$ for on the ship are drinks (if they have the soda card would only need for frozen whatevers or something like that), the arcade, souveniers, johnny rockets if the ship has it and ben and jerry's ice cream again if the ship has it.

I'm just not going to give her charging privileges. She won't need it and since juice and lemonade are free (right) she won't need a soda card. I don't normally let her drink soda anyway.

Thanks for input.

• 3 weeks later...

On the recent Independence of the Seas Transatlantic we had a bad experience with RCCL activating our daughters' charging privileges without our consent. :mad:

We had specified no charging privileges for our children when registering on-line before the cruise.

When you embark, there are warnings that kids cards are activated for charging unless deactivated, which needed to be done at Guest Services. So despite having specified this previously, we stood in line at Guest Services to ensure the cards were deactivated - and it was confirmed they were.

Lastly, we tried to load $10 on my 9 year old's card for use in the arcade, but couldn't as the card had been deactivated. so far so good....

Then 8 days or so into the cruise I found my 9 year old loading $30 on to her card in the arcade. :mad: She hadn't appreciated that it was real money and not just tokens she said.

I complained at Guest Services and it transpired that her card (and her 7 year old sister's) had been reactivated for charging for the 3 days prior to my discovery. My 7 year old hadn't used hers but my 9 year old had charged her card with $120 (incl the $30 I witnessed) for the arcade.

I told Guest Services I was refuting the charges, and complained that my children had been put in this position. They questioned my daughter as to her usage and she confirmed that she hadn't been aware that it was real money. Guest Services undertook to get back to me the following day. This came and went with no response. I then submitted a written complaint, in anticipation of legal action. Again, there was no response.

On the last evening of the cruise I complained about the lack of response. RCCL refunded the unspent amount of $34 but were still holding me liable for the $86 spent. Finally they agreed to refund a further $50. Its not cost effective to pursue a refund for the remaining $36 - but the awful customer service grates. It was purely by chance that I witnessed my daughter loading her card - it could have stayed open to the end of the cruise, and she could have spent $100s more (it was a 14-night cruise).

I know that she spent the money, but (and trust me she was questioned extensively on this) she did not believe it was real money and she knew that her card had been blocked (supposedly!) to prevent this. When she found she could load her card to play arcade games she didn't appreciate it was real money.

RCCL reactivated her (and her sister's) card without my knowledge or approval. They have failed to give a satisfactory explanation as to how this could have occurred, but I shall be raising it with their Head Office.

We've been very diligent about educating our DD about credit issues from a very early age. Whether it be pointing out that the breakfast at a hotel was not really "free" but instead "including in the price of the room", or that the soda isn't "free" but instead we "paid for the soda package". At six or seven she didn't really understand this, but by eight or so she had heard enough iterations that she started to catch on (laughing at/talking back to the TV offers where if you act "now" they would "double" the offer). As she got older, we'd let her make her own decisions about spending money -- she'd get x$ and she was responsible for how she used it -- we'd monitor what she bought and that she was staying in her budget.

This weekend will be the big "test" her 8th grade band is making a trip to the twin cities area of Minnesota -- concerts and band clinic and 4+ hours in the Mall of America. She has saved up her own money for shopping. She is not comfortable carrying it as cash, so we agreed I'd get her a VISA tied to my VISA. She knows I will monitor the account on-line. She has a notebook where she will record each transaction (date/ place/ amount) and balance out what she has left. Knowing her, she'll come home with a decent enough balance. She also has a week-long band trip to CO this summer and two weeks with cousins in Chicago. So she'll be using this same system.

Side note - her Social Studies class was doing a "credit" unit last week, her teacher asked for a show of hands of anyone who already had a credit card -- DD was the only one who raised her hand. The teacher said "wow, your parents must really trust you!" she said and then he paused as he thought, smiled and said "yeah, I would too."

You know your kids and what you can expect from them.

Onessa, sounds like you've raised a very well educated young lady. We gave our kids allowances early on just to get them used to budgeting their money. It amazes me how some people don't even expose their kids to cash until they are much older.

We always make sure our kids know exactly what is expected of them and what is not acceptable long before stepping foot on the ship. We still have had a few runins here and there, but we keep watch and deal with them ASAP so things don't get out of control.

My daughter and son-in-law set a limit on the charges. My Grandson saves his money for the cruise and he is allowed to spend up to his limit. When it's gone, so are his charging priveleges. He's very careful not to run out. It's good training for when they have a credit card or debit card to learn it's not limitless. He went to the gift shop several times before deciding on what he wanted to spend his money on. In fact, the first year they did this, he was in the arcade less than any cruise prior. He didn't enjoy spending his own money, knowing it would eventually run out.

We gave only our then 12 year old charging priviledges on our last cruise. He charged ZERO. Like he said, there was nothing that he wanted when we weren't around and didn't feel the need to use it just because. This time around we'll probably do the same for him and his brother but will look into capping them since we will be on RCI.

• 2 weeks later...

I set up our pre trip stuff. Flights, passport, DOB... etc... I had to link a CC# to both my kids accouts. With a Freeze or hold of $60 per person per day. So as soon as I walk on to the ship over $1200 will be held on my account... Is there a way to not have to do this for my kids as they are 5 and 8 and won't be spending $ with out me???

Archived