Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm?

RickEk

Just a quick question for y'all... we are considering the 10-day Alaska voyage on the Sea Princess. They have two different itineraries. One goes to Glacier Bay and the other to Tracy Arm. Opinions on which is better?

Thanks in advance!

No question - Glacier Bay. Save TA for a 2nd or 3rd cruise.

GB is incredible and the ships have to get permits and they limit the ships that can go per day to two. Only certain lines get permits (RCCL and Celebrity do not have permits). Glacier Bay is a whole day of beautiful glacier cruising.

Tracy Arm is more of a fiord with a glacier at the end which very few ships get to and the glacier at the end doesn't even come close to Marjorie at GB. Plus, many ships miss Tracy Arm (iced out at entrance or closer to the glacier). While beautiful, it is best seen via small ship.

Agree, Glacier Bay hands down -- good choice. We've done both. If (when?) you return, try Tracy Arm on a smaller ship. Sea Princess is limited to how far up the fjord it can sail. And sadly, at the rate the glacier is receding, that fjord is getting longer and longer. We did Tracy Arm on a Regent cruise but I believe one of Princess's 3 "R" ships (the Royal?) does a 2 week Alaska cruise out of Seattle that goes to Tracy Arm.

Glacier Bay if you only have one choice. If you aren't absolutely set on Princess, you can do what we did and sail HAL out of Vancouver and do both on the same cruise.

Yes, we're pretty set on a Princess cruise. I like the idea of sailing out of San Francisco... the airfare from LA is only $49. 10 days is a good voyage length with a number of sea days. I enjoyed the Dawn Princess and look forward to sailing on her sister, the Sea Princess. It is interesting that the itinerary varies as much as it does...

Last year on our B2B we went to Glacier Bay twice and it is magnificent!:) It was a great day both times we were there.

We were also fortunate to have time to do the Adventure Bound excursion in Juneau to Tracy Arm. This excursion was one of my favorite. The fjord was full of huge ice bergs, many seals at Sawyer Glacier and the glacier was calving. We were able to get within a few yards of the face of the glacier. The fjord was beautiful. I don't know if was being in a smaller boat that made you feel so small in this vast beautiful wilderness, but if I have time in port again it is a must for me.:)

We have done both. Marjorie Glacier in Glacier Bay was awesome.......BUT we also loved the whole Fjord of Tracy Arm. Those walls of granite with trees growing out of them are amazing! Waterfalls everywhere. Our ship was not able to make it all the way in and had to turn around. But all the scenery was so beautiful, it was still worth it.

We will make sure our next cruise goes to Tracy Arm.

Last year on our B2B we went to Glacier Bay twice and it is magnificent!:) It was a great day both times we were there.

We were also fortunate to have time to do the Adventure Bound excursion in Juneau to Tracy Arm. This excursion was one of my favorite. The fjord was full of huge ice bergs, many seals at Sawyer Glacier and the glacier was calving. We were able to get within a few yards of the face of the glacier. The fjord was beautiful. I don't know if was being in a smaller boat that made you feel so small in this vast beautiful wilderness, but if I have time in port again it is a must for me.:)

Tracy Arm is MUCH better via small boat! Adventure Bound is awesome!

If you find a quiet spot when you're next to Marjorie, you can hear the glacier pop, spit,

crack, bang, and squeal. That in itself is marvelous. Glacier Bay is Mother Nature at

her finest. Don't miss it if at all possible.

Archived