Journey Review 1 Apr 2010 (long!)

nedward

This was our first cruise on Azamara. We are Celebrity Elite, and we chose Azamara because our perception was this was a “kicked up” version of Celebrity. A friend had already sailed with a positive experience; we welcomed the intimacy of a smaller ship, open seating, no formalwear, and several new ports that Journey would access, unlike the larger ships. It was going to be wonderfully different!

So when we booked early as we usually do for our choice of a specific cabin, we had no expectation of the changes that were to come. And as Cruise Critics now know, the transition to Azamara Club Cruises was one of a near total lack of information regarding the new program for those of us on the “shakedown” cruise.

Aside from having an “old Azamara” fare locked in, as a bonus, we qualified for a $250 stateroom credit, senior discount, and we were grandfathered into the new program of “gratuities included/complementary soft drinks/free house wine” at no additional charge. Our Elite status carried over to the Discoverer level of Le Club Voyage membership; one of the Discoverer entitlements was nearly 4 hours of free internet access – sweet!

The sad news is – we loved it, but based on the current fare structure, it is unlikely that it will be affordable or a good value for us again anytime soon. In our opinion, Azamara is a long way from equaling the quality of the more luxury cruise lines they would like to emulate, and they apparently believe that their overly inflated prices are justified by their version of the upscale experience. We think not…

We had a nice overnight stay at the Marriott Biscayne in downtown Miami after flying in from San Francisco, which we scored through Priceline at $65 + tax. Thanks to our travel agent, who is our long-time cruising companion with her husband, we had a beautiful room with a view of the big ships at the cruise terminal.

Embarkation was a breeze, and within minutes, we were onboard. We discovered later that this cruise was only 65% full, but we knew that even at full capacity, the embarkation staff was top notch, and it would have been an easy experience nonetheless.

After a bite to eat in the buffet, we found our cabin and our luggage arrived forthwith. We were in cabin 7104, Veranda, port side, mid-aft. The stateroom had plenty of space and storage, with a flat screen TV wall mounted which conserved desk and shelf space. The TV programming was dismal, which we like to watch while showering before dinner and in between afternoon naps. The veranda was petite, with a small table and 2 chairs. We did squeeze in 4 of us to enjoy the stateroom’s bottle of sparkling wine and fresh orange juice for a birthday pre-breakfast celebration. Our stateroom attendants Kusairi (Indonesia) and Darwin (Honduras) were the best. We were happy to tip them additionally, which they richly deserved.

We had shipped 4 bottles of special wine ahead, which we enjoyed both in the specialty restaurants and main dining room “Discoveries”. Our companions also purchased a delicious Pinot Noir one evening from the wine list, but otherwise we sampled the complimentary house wines. With a couple of exceptions, they were not enjoyable, and included a 2009 red, not a Beaujolais Nouveau; here in California wine country, the 2009 red wines are resting quietly in oak barrels, not yet already bottled and distributed to cruise ships. :)

We had 2 dinners in Aqualina, and 1 in Prime C. Service and food in both restaurants were outstanding, well worth the $30 per couple tariff. We enjoyed the “rivalry” between the staffs of the respective restaurants, and we had a great time. Prime C also made us a key lime pie for the birthday, which we requested ahead, so we had 2 desserts apiece. Total food coma!!

Dinner in the main dining room was open seating, with no formal night; we never had trouble getting a table for 4 when we arrived. Despite the lack of dress code, we noted that people often dressed nicer than “required” – some folks came dressed to the nines, but everyone was comfortable with their own attire, and no one looked like a slob.

Service was adequate, but the bonding you build with the waitstaff in traditional dining was missing. The menu was interesting and varied, and offered dishes that you could request any day as well as today’s specials, so there was usually something you could eat. However, the execution was often questionable, beyond the usual oddities that you experience in a cruise restaurant. For example, we would have sworn the vegetarian egg rolls contained chicken; poached eggs were found where least expected; and the undercooked, mushy, watery lobster was largely inedible. Unfortunately, we had already enjoyed Aqualina’s lobster tail to the max, so this presentation was even more disappointing.

In Discoveries at dinner, supervision was virtually nonexistent – once you checked in at the desk, this was the last time you saw a manager. The wait staff did an adequate job, but there was never any follow-though from the Maitre d’, like: “Welcome”, or “How is your dinner?”, etc. We don’t need our hands held, but pay a little attention at least once in a while. And on the fateful lobster evening, the information breakdown regarding tables “ready” or “occupied” proved a near disaster in our sector of the room; several diners were unnecessarily inconvenienced and made to feel uncomfortable. Again, we felt that some supervision would have made a significant difference.

In short, (and dining is not our most important consideration when deciding on a cruise), Journey’s main dining room dinners were generally not to our liking. We realize that this is very subjective…

The Buffet was very good for breakfast and lunch, as was the Pool Grill. Our big surprise was the buffet for dinner early in the cruise – we ate ourselves silly with the Cream of Celery Soup and Sushi Bar. We enjoyed dinner on the alfresco back deck, Breezes, with the ship’s guitarist singing bossa nova under the stars.

There were 2 special buffets: The Caribbean BBQ and the Ship’s Officer’s BBQ. They were excellent, but were marred by the display of the lamb carcass and pig carcass carved to order. The meat was delicious, but with the whole animal lying there with its feet up in the air, it was a little undignified…

The alcoholic beverages were of good quality, the beer nicely chilled, and all reasonably priced, with tip included. Sodas and bottled water were free, and the Cova Café coffees were complimentary and delicious. Due to the small size of the ship, it was easy to befriend the staff, as you saw the same smiling faces everywhere.

We attended a raffle/giveaway that they threw at the Aquaspa to familiarize passengers of their services, and our friend Patty won a free facial treatment. Not only was it totally enjoyable, but there was no hard-sell sales pitch for products afterward. The Fitness center was well equipped and also well staffed for scheduled group classes and personal training.

The ship’s officers were extremely visible and friendly throughout the cruise. The hotel director, guest services manager, food and beverage director, and Le Club Voyage manager were omnipresent and accessible. They were in attendance at a special Cruise Critic reception, and we were encouraged to approach them at any time with any concerns. A special shout-out goes to Vicky Arledge, the Human Resources director from Texas who was hired at age 60+; she could be the best representative that a company could ever have!

Cruise Director Tony Markey and his entertainment staff did a great job and were totally friendly and natural. The pool band, and the aforementioned guitarist were quite good, but they got repetitive as the cruise progressed. The piano bar was always popular, and a harpist played nightly in the Martini Bar.

The evening’s showroom entertainment consisted of the customary program of cruise ship stars. The Cabaret Lounge was a very intimate venue, much more so than the larger theatres we were accustomed to on larger ships. For our enjoyment:

• The Journey singers and orchestra

• The talented and versatile Tony Markey and his wife, a singing duo

• A comedian/magician

• A Tom Jones wannabe

• A virtuoso Hollywood pianist

• A ventriloquist

Disembarkation: It was to be a 45 minute process. Our group was #4 -- we relaxed in the Cova near the gangway. Apparently, all guest credentials were squared away on time, we were called 5 minutes after the start, there was no line to get off, and the baggage was easy to find in a small section in the terminal. There was a brief encounter with Customs and Immigration, and we had a taxi to the airport. 10 minutes out the door. It’s like it never happened!

In summary, we had a very restful and relaxing cruise: no dressing up, no set dining time, easy tendering, no planned excursions, no crowds; plenty of food and drink, lots of sun, beautiful ports, and pampering. For full-time working people, it couldn’t have been a better vacation.

Here’s a quick rundown of our port stops:

• St John USVI: Cinnamon Bay had lots of surf, a beautiful beach, and an absence of shade. We taxied to Trunk Bay for some difficult snorkeling (due to surf), but beach-wise, Cinnamon was better.

• St Martin: We taxied and watertaxied to Pinel Island, which consists of a shallow inlet, and a small beach with 3 restaurants. We selected “Up on the Key”, rented beach chairs, umbrellas, enjoyed the included drinks and sun, with plenty of people-watching. And we had the most expensive and delicious grilled lobster for lunch, hand selected from a “pot” just offshore. They offered even exchange Euro: Dollar for cash (to our benefit), and they treated us a shot of special house-spiced rum to aid our digestion after lunch.

• Dominica: We had done some eco-tours previously, so we decided to keep it simple and walk to town. Error – we were docked at the commercial pier while Carnival was parked in downtown Roseau. It was beastly hot and after talking to some fellow passengers coming back the other way, we were encouraged to return to the ship. We later learned that we could have shuttled to town, but in the end it wasn’t worth it anyway. The ship’s lunch and subsequent nap on the pool deck was wonderful!

it anyway. The ship’s lunch and subsequent nap on the pool deck was wonderful!

• Antigua: We grabbed a cab in St. Johns (we highly recommend our driver Triston John’s Taxi Service (blackiceyankee@hotmail.com) and were driven to Darkwood Beach for a few hours, where Triston picked us up at a predetermined time. We practically had the whole, pristine, white sand beach and turquoise water to ourselves, and enjoyed a local lunch and cold beers right there.

• Virgin Gorda BVI: We took a taxi to The Baths, which is the favored destination. We walked down the trail to the beach, where the wives relaxed in the shade (restaurant and cold beer close by), and the guys took the cave route to Devil’s Bay. Signs warned and bathers complained of jellyfish stings, but the cave trek was fun, albeit crowded with tourists. Devil’s Bay was a beautiful inlet where Tyra Banks was photographed for a Sports Illustrated issue (big deal!). Rather than take the cave route back, we took the alternate trail to the top, and returned via the main trail to the original beach to pick up the girls and climb back up. The thighs were burning after that!

Thanks for reading!

Regards, Ned

Great review Ned, thanks for taking the time to write it. Most cruisers seem to really like Azamara, especially its friendly ambience. The biggest ongoing disagreement seems to be its pricing. If company & passengers can agree on the "right" price they'll have it made.

What a wonderful view Ned. Easy to read, very informative and well balanced. After enjoying two cruises with Azamara we would love to sail on Journey or Quest again but the new pricing is prohibitive, unless we can get a deal of some sort.:o

Thanks Ned.

We will be sailing with Azamara for the first time in August, and then Celebrity next May, so we don't qualify for any special benefits at this point (no Captains Club), but I did want to ask.:rolleyes:

I realize we received a GREAT price, as we booked before the change to "some things included". So, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I will anyway.;) But, did you receive your stateroom credit and seniors discount upon initial booking or were these nice additions added later (lets say to entice you to make final payment)?

We booked our cruise about the time the itinerary came up, and I don't remember any "specials" being available.:confused:

Thanks again.

Great review Ned, and thanks for taking time to write it.

When you say you "shipped 4 bottles of special wine ahead", what do you mean?

Pity the comp wine wasnt up to much as I dont drink spirits and not much in the way of beer. I'll certainly give the wine a try though;)

David

Ned, thanks for the lengthy review. But as one who started the Azamara versus Oceania value thread, I need some clarification regarding your review if you would be so kind to provide it.

My summary of your comments would be that you loved the cruise, but the cruise at current pricing would not offer particularly good value. Can you explain the value part a bit more? What would Azamara have to do differently to provide sufficient value? As a practical matter, could Azamara really do anything differently to justify the difference in pricing between what Azamara is currently charging and what other lines with which you are familiar charge?

Hi Ned,

We were on 3/8/10 sailing of Journey. Like you we had a great time. But I felt that there was no "wow" factor that made Azarmara stand out from all the other cruises that we have taken. I would need that "wow" factor to be there for me to pay the new higher price that Azamara is asking. There was nothing that set it above the other cruise lines that we been on. ( Other lines have smaller ship too)I would travel on Azamara again if the price was right. I don't need the soda or wine. I rather but what I want. I hope that Azamara can find their "fit".

Maria

I’m more or less what surprised on all the “price issues” with Azamara. I did some research and when looking at cruises for upcoming May, there’s not much price difference between Azamara, Celebrity or RCCL. Looking at similar categories.

Perhaps Azamara is sometimes a little more expensive but with Azamara I don’t have to pay for gratuities, soda’s, shuttles, coffee, etc. If all that added to the Celebrity or RCCL bill you won’t pay that much more.

Yes, sure for those who have booked Azamara a while ago there will be a difference towards the current prices but newbie’s probably won’t look at it that way. I feel that the prices are not that ridiculous taken in consideration that you will get a smaller ship, better service (at least more personal), inclusions and appealing itineraries. Things that a lot of others can not offer but will deliver mass market, fully packed ships with less or no privacy.

In my opinion the major problem is not the new prices, but the poorly communication, management and upgrading towards the New Club. Travel documents are still containing old information (even Celebrity covers) and the website is still not updated. It feels as if Azamara does not really take herself that serious and I predict that this will cause much more problems than the new price structure.

Thanks Ned.

We will be sailing with Azamara for the first time in August, and then Celebrity next May, so we don't qualify for any special benefits at this point (no Captains Club), but I did want to ask.:rolleyes:

I realize we received a GREAT price, as we booked before the change to "some things included". So, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I will anyway.;) But, did you receive your stateroom credit and seniors discount upon initial booking or were these nice additions added later (lets say to entice you to make final payment)?

We booked our cruise about the time the itinerary came up, and I don't remember any "specials" being available.:confused:

Thanks again.

Hi Zoolander:

Our the additional discounts came after the booking. We have a very astute travel agent who looks out for perks and has the experience to manipulate arrangements to her clients' benefit.

Rgds, Ned

Great review Ned, and thanks for taking time to write it.

When you say you "shipped 4 bottles of special wine ahead", what do you mean?

Pity the comp wine wasnt up to much as I dont drink spirits and not much in the way of beer. I'll certainly give the wine a try though;)

David

Hi David:

Apparently, you are able to carry aboard wine at embarkation and they have a $10 corkage fee. The ones we sent were ones not usually found on the ship's typical wine list, so they don't get antsy about BYOB. We sent ours as checked baggage, and no one raised an eyebrow except to apologize that they would have to charge for the opening. We also had a bottle of vodka for the room.

I have nothing in writing about the policy, but I followed the boss' orders and it worked out great. Their regular wine list is OK, with the markup being average/typical for any good restaurant.

Rgds, Ned

Hi! Your review was very nice. I enjoyed that cruise too. I enjoyed my meals in the MDR. My best meal was veal medalions in the MDR. The halibut in Prime C and the filet were superb. The lobster and the seabass in Aquilina were just okay. My lobster in the MDR was excellent. Food was good to excellent everywhere. If there was anything that you didn't like, the staff was happy to replace it with another choice.

I agree that Azamara may be getting too expensive for some cruisers. The cost vs. the benefits are for each cruiser to weigh. Next time I plan a cruise, I'll certainly check Azamara.

The best feature on this cruise was the lack of kids. It was an Easter cruise which usually has tons of kids. I met someone who got off the Emerald Princess on April 11th. They had 400 kids and 3100 adults. Too many of both. I hate big crowds. I love the small ship..the smaller the better.

Thanks Ned.

A Stateroom Credit would be great.

I will let my TA know.

Just wanted to clarify that the Stateroom credit was a standard Azamara promotion that became available after the initial booking. My TA did not develop this on her own -- she's great, but not a magician... :D

Redtravel,

We mostly cruise the Caribbean and there are lots of deals out there for that. We can afford the increase but I just don't feel their product is worth it. We had a great time on the ship (like on all cruises that we have been on). The service was about what I have received on other lines (at times is was less than other lines). The one thing that I had to laugh about was one night I get into bed and I feel something under the sheets with me and my husband. It was a coat hanger! The bed was made up with a coat hanger in between the sheets. That gave me a laugh.

Like I said before I just don't see anything that made MY Azamara cruise stand out more that the other many cruises that I have been on.

Also like you I love the small ships. So we will wait and see what happens.

Maria

Hi David:

Apparently, you are able to carry aboard wine at embarkation and they have a $10 corkage fee. The ones we sent were ones not usually found on the ship's typical wine list, so they don't get antsy about BYOB. We sent ours as checked baggage, and no one raised an eyebrow except to apologize that they would have to charge for the opening. We also had a bottle of vodka for the room.

I have nothing in writing about the policy, but I followed the boss' orders and it worked out great. Their regular wine list is OK, with the markup being average/typical for any good restaurant.

Rgds, Ned

And here was me thinking you'd sent them by UPS to the ship a couple of days before........:D........ just kidding. Thought it'd be checked baggage but wanted to be sure.

I now believe that there is no limit to what you can take on board, but that is only from what I have read here. Nothing concrete from Azamara......yet. Once they get their act together and update the website, all will become clear.....hopefully

David

We were on a 16 day panama canal cruise in January 2010 on Journey....loved the small ship, open seating and the resort casual dress code....saying that we were lectured daily about the "NEW AZAMARA"....with service, food, maintainence inconsistant & at times mediocre levels..we saw no reason to look into other cruises.....after asking a question to L Pimemtal on this board we were completely convinced not to sail w/ Azamara again...his response was just marketing jargon.....the product has no substance or relation to the maarketing or pricing for the line.

This was our first cruise on Azamara. We are Celebrity Elite, od

and we chose Azamara because our perception was this was a “kicked up” version of Celebrity. A friend had already sailed with a positive experience; we welcomed the intimacy of a smaller ship, open seating, no formalwear, and several new ports that Journey would access, unlike the larger ships. It was going to be wonderfully different!

So when we booked early as we usually do for our choice of a specific cabin, we had no expectation of the changes that were to come. And as Cruise Critics now know, the transition to Azamara Club Cruises was one of a near total lack of information regarding the new program for those of us on the “shakedown” cruise.

Aside from having an “old Azamara” fare locked in, as a bonus, we qualified for a $250 stateroom credit, senior discount, and we were grandfathered into the new program of “gratuities included/complementary soft drinks/free house wine” at no additional charge. Our Elite status carried over to the Discoverer level of Le Club Voyage membership; one of the Discoverer entitlements was nearly 4 hours of free internet access – sweet!

The sad news is – we loved it, but based on the current fare structure, it is unlikely that it will be affordable or a good value for us again anytime soon. In our opinion, Azamara is a long way from equaling the quality of the more luxury cruise lines they would like to emulate, and they apparently believe that their overly inflated prices are justified by their version of the upscale experience. We think not…

We had a nice overnight stay at the Marriott Biscayne in downtown Miami after flying in from San Francisco, which we scored through Priceline at $65 + tax. Thanks to our travel agent, who is our long-time cruising companion with her husband, we had a beautiful room with a view of the big ships at the cruise terminal.

Embarkation was a breeze, and within minutes, we were onboard. We discovered later that this cruise was only 65% full, but we knew that even at full capacity, the embarkation staff was top notch, and it would have been an easy experience nonetheless.

After a bite to eat in the buffet, we found our cabin and our luggage arrived forthwith. We were in cabin 7104, Veranda, port side, mid-aft. The stateroom had plenty of space and storage, with a flat screen TV wall mounted which conserved desk and shelf space. The TV programming was dismal, which we like to watch while showering before dinner and in between afternoon naps. The veranda was petite, with a small table and 2 chairs. We did squeeze in 4 of us to enjoy the stateroom’s bottle of sparkling wine and fresh orange juice for a birthday pre-breakfast celebration. Our stateroom attendants Kusairi (Indonesia) and Darwin (Honduras) were the best. We were happy to tip them additionally, which they richly deserved.

We had shipped 4 bottles of special wine ahead, which we enjoyed both in the specialty restaurants and main dining room “Discoveries”. Our companions also purchased a delicious Pinot Noir one evening from the wine list, but otherwise we sampled the complimentary house wines. With a couple of exceptions, they were not enjoyable, and included a 2009 red, not a Beaujolais Nouveau; here in California wine country, the 2009 red wines are resting quietly in oak barrels, not yet already bottled and distributed to cruise ships. :)

We had 2 dinners in Aqualina, and 1 in Prime C. Service and food in both restaurants were outstanding, well worth the $30 per couple tariff. We enjoyed the “rivalry” between the staffs of the respective restaurants, and we had a great time. Prime C also made us a key lime pie for the birthday, which we requested ahead, so we had 2 desserts apiece. Total food coma!!

Dinner in the main dining room was open seating, with no formal night; we never had trouble getting a table for 4 when we arrived. Despite the lack of dress code, we noted that people often dressed nicer than “required” – some folks came dressed to the nines, but everyone was comfortable with their own attire, and no one looked like a slob.

Service was adequate, but the bonding you build with the waitstaff in traditional dining was missing. The menu was interesting and varied, and offered dishes that you could request any day as well as today’s specials, so there was usually something you could eat. However, the execution was often questionable, beyond the usual oddities that you experience in a cruise restaurant. For example, we would have sworn the vegetarian egg rolls contained chicken; poached eggs were found where least expected; and the undercooked, mushy, watery lobster was largely inedible. Unfortunately, we had already enjoyed Aqualina’s lobster tail to the max, so this presentation was even more disappointing.

In Discoveries at dinner, supervision was virtually nonexistent – once you checked in at the desk, this was the last time you saw a manager. The wait staff did an adequate job, but there was never any follow-though from the Maitre d’, like: “Welcome”, or “How is your dinner?”, etc. We don’t need our hands held, but pay a little attention at least once in a while. And on the fateful lobster evening, the information breakdown regarding tables “ready” or “occupied” proved a near disaster in our sector of the room; several diners were unnecessarily inconvenienced and made to feel uncomfortable. Again, we felt that some supervision would have made a significant difference.

In short, (and dining is not our most important consideration when deciding on a cruise), Journey’s main dining room dinners were generally not to our liking. We realize that this is very subjective…

The Buffet was very good for breakfast and lunch, as was the Pool Grill. Our big surprise was the buffet for dinner early in the cruise – we ate ourselves silly with the Cream of Celery Soup and Sushi Bar. We enjoyed dinner on the alfresco back deck, Breezes, with the ship’s guitarist singing bossa nova under the stars.

There were 2 special buffets: The Caribbean BBQ and the Ship’s Officer’s BBQ. They were excellent, but were marred by the display of the lamb carcass and pig carcass carved to order. The meat was delicious, but with the whole animal lying there with its feet up in the air, it was a little undignified…

The alcoholic beverages were of good quality, the beer nicely chilled, and all reasonably priced, with tip included. Sodas and bottled water were free, and the Cova Café coffees were complimentary and delicious. Due to the small size of the ship, it was easy to befriend the staff, as you saw the same smiling faces everywhere.

We attended a raffle/giveaway that they threw at the Aquaspa to familiarize passengers of their services, and our friend Patty won a free facial treatment. Not only was it totally enjoyable, but there was no hard-sell sales pitch for products afterward. The Fitness center was well equipped and also well staffed for scheduled group classes and personal training.

The ship’s officers were extremely visible and friendly throughout the cruise. The hotel director, guest services manager, food and beverage director, and Le Club Voyage manager were omnipresent and accessible. They were in attendance at a special Cruise Critic reception, and we were encouraged to approach them at any time with any concerns. A special shout-out goes to Vicky Arledge, the Human Resources director from Texas who was hired at age 60+; she could be the best representative that a company could ever have!

Cruise Director Tony Markey and his entertainment staff did a great job and were totally friendly and natural. The pool band, and the aforementioned guitarist were quite good, but they got repetitive as the cruise progressed. The piano bar was always popular, and a harpist played nightly in the Martini Bar.

The evening’s showroom entertainment consisted of the customary program of cruise ship stars. The Cabaret Lounge was a very intimate venue, much more so than the larger theatres we were accustomed to on larger ships. For our enjoyment:

• The Journey singers and orchestra

• The talented and versatile Tony Markey and his wife, a singing duo

• A comedian/magician

• A Tom Jones wannabe

• A virtuoso Hollywood pianist

• A ventriloquist

Disembarkation: It was to be a 45 minute process. Our group was #4 -- we relaxed in the Cova near the gangway. Apparently, all guest credentials were squared away on time, we were called 5 minutes after the start, there was no line to get off, and the baggage was easy to find in a small section in the terminal. There was a brief encounter with Customs and Immigration, and we had a taxi to the airport. 10 minutes out the door. It’s like it never happened!

In summary, we had a very restful and relaxing cruise: no dressing up, no set dining time, easy tendering, no planned excursions, no crowds; plenty of food and drink, lots of sun, beautiful ports, and pampering. For full-time working people, it couldn’t have been a better vacation.

Here’s a quick rundown of our port stops:

• St John USVI: Cinnamon Bay had lots of surf, a beautiful beach, and an absence of shade. We taxied to Trunk Bay for some difficult snorkeling (due to surf), but beach-wise, Cinnamon was better.

• St Martin: We taxied and watertaxied to Pinel Island, which consists of a shallow inlet, and a small beach with 3 restaurants. We selected “Up on the Key”, rented beach chairs, umbrellas, enjoyed the included drinks and sun, with plenty of people-watching. And we had the most expensive and delicious grilled lobster for lunch, hand selected from a “pot” just offshore. They offered even exchange Euro: Dollar for cash (to our benefit), and they treated us a shot of special house-spiced rum to aid our digestion after lunch.

• Dominica: We had done some eco-tours previously, so we decided to keep it simple and walk to town. Error – we were docked at the commercial pier while Carnival was parked in downtown Roseau. It was beastly hot and after talking to some fellow passengers coming back the other way, we were encouraged to return to the ship. We later learned that we could have shuttled to town, but in the end it wasn’t worth it anyway. The ship’s lunch and subsequent nap on the pool deck was wonderful!

it anyway. The ship’s lunch and subsequent nap on the pool deck was wonderful!

• Antigua: We grabbed a cab in St. Johns (we highly recommend our driver Triston John’s Taxi Service (blackiceyankee@hotmail.com) and were driven to Darkwood Beach for a few hours, where Triston picked us up at a predetermined time. We practically had the whole, pristine, white sand beach and turquoise water to ourselves, and enjoyed a local lunch and cold beers right there.

• Virgin Gorda BVI: We took a taxi to The Baths, which is the favored destination. We walked down the trail to the beach, where the wives relaxed in the shade (restaurant and cold beer close by), and the guys took the cave route to Devil’s Bay. Signs warned and bathers complained of jellyfish stings, but the cave trek was fun, albeit crowded with tourists. Devil’s Bay was a beautiful inlet where Tyra Banks was photographed for a Sports Illustrated issue (big deal!). Rather than take the cave route back, we took the alternate trail to the top, and returned via the main trail to the original beach to pick up the girls and climb back up. The thighs were burning after that!

Thanks for reading!

Regards, Ned

Seabourn lowered prices for several cruises to $2499pp for 7 days including everything. Ship has only suites. That makes Azamara more costly than Seabourn. On their shorter cruises there are no formal nights. Azamara should take note. The luxury competition is becoming very attractive.

Seabourn lowered prices for several cruises to $2499pp for 7 days including everything. Ship has only suites. That makes Azamara more costly than Seabourn. On their shorter cruises there are no formal nights. Azamara should take note. The luxury competition is becoming very attractive.

Could you please share the dates of the sailings and ships and then the dates and sailings of Azamara

I;m really curious as I haven't been able to find that

Correction - Seabourn cabins really aren't all suites. Even their basic 3 ships with balconies, aren't really balconies. Even their new ships aren't all suites, but then again, I guess that could depend on your definition of a suite.

Having said that, they are still a good line.

We did an Asian sailing on the Azamara Quest in early January. Also looked at a comparable Seabourn sailing and even though the cost on Azamara was quite a bit less that wasn't necessarily the deciding factor. Just didn't want to spend 2 weeks in a cabin with only balcony doors, not a balcony.

Could you please share the dates of the sailings and ships and then the dates and sailings of Azamara

I;m really curious as I haven't been able to find that

An online agency blank blank go (name cannot be mentioned) has many Seaborn Spirit and Legend Med voyages this year at $2499. Among the dates are Aug 24 Barcelona- Monte Carlo, Sept 25 Rome-Venice.

I’m more or less what surprised on all the “price issues” with Azamara. I did some research and when looking at cruises for upcoming May, there’s not much price difference between Azamara, Celebrity or RCCL. Looking at similar categories.

Perhaps Azamara is sometimes a little more expensive but with Azamara I don’t have to pay for gratuities, soda’s, shuttles, coffee, etc. If all that added to the Celebrity or RCCL bill you won’t pay that much more.

Yes, sure for those who have booked Azamara a while ago there will be a difference towards the current prices but newbie’s probably won’t look at it that way. I feel that the prices are not that ridiculous taken in consideration that you will get a smaller ship, better service (at least more personal), inclusions and appealing itineraries. Things that a lot of others can not offer but will deliver mass market, fully packed ships with less or no privacy.

In my opinion the major problem is not the new prices, but the poorly communication, management and upgrading towards the New Club. Travel documents are still containing old information (even Celebrity covers) and the website is still not updated. It feels as if Azamara does not really take herself that serious and I predict that this will cause much more problems than the new price structure.

Azamara will have to decide what it wants to become. The revamped pricing puts it into direct competition with the “Luxury” Lines.

However, Regent, for example, offers selected excursions included, and complimentary adult beverages, not just beer and wine. They also have the Canyon Spa, and from what I understand, incredible food in the main dining room. Cabins are also larger.

An online agency blank blank go (name cannot be mentioned) has many Seaborn Spirit and Legend Med voyages this year at $2499. Among the dates are Aug 24 Barcelona- Monte Carlo, Sept 25 Rome-Venice.

Alrighty...

are we comparing then on Seabourn...the NON opening picture window to AZ outside cabin

because you can't compare it to a balcony.

The Aug 24 sailing isnt on Seabourns website

Sept 25th is not the same itinerary as AZ sailings...

and those that havent sailed in Europe before or only a couple of times will not be happy with it as the ports in between are geared for those that have really "done"

Europe

but if some insist to compare...

an outside cabin for 7 day Europe sailings on AZ is still less

Sep 25 S Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy X

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Originally built by Emperor Trajan who had a villa here, Civitavecchia has flourished as a major port for Rome since the 13th century. Today it is an important ferry terminal and for many travelers the gateway to Rome. The Renaissance fortifications that surround the harbor area were begun by Bramante and completed by Michelangelo in 1535. The port city is pleasant enough in itself with a variety of shops along the main street, a colorful market and a number of restaurants. However, true lovers of "la dolce vita" head straight for Rome, the Eternal City that forever beckons.

Its beginnings are shrouded in romantic legend that attributes the city's birth to Romulus in 753 BC, although earlier traces of habitation have been found on Palantine Hill. The Etruscans made it their center first in the 6th century BC and for centuries to follow. The city built on seven hills reigned as the ancient capital of the Western World and a center of Christianity for nearly 2000 years. Rome was not built in a day - and 2,500 years of history crammed into a maze of alleys, squares and monuments cannot be seen in one day either. For a short visit there are "must sees" that combine ancient, papal and modern Rome. However you choose to approach your visit, Rome has much to offer both the first time and the seasoned visitor.

5:00 PM26 SU Lipari Island, Italy X

Lipari Island, Italy

Lipari is the largest of the seven major islands making up the Aeolian Islands. They were originally named after Aeolus, the mythical god of wind who the ancients believed made his home in a cave here. Recently renamed the Lipari Islands, they were created by volcanic eruptions thousands of years ago and have a primitive rocky beauty accented by Mediterranean greenery. Their natural beauty and easy lifestyle have made the islands increasingly popular for those who wish to escape the modern world and its stresses. The crystal clear aqua-blue waters and the volcanic beaches are some of the most inviting in Italy. Many are inaccessible except by fishermen's boats. An abundance of fish and shell fish makes for some very good restaurants specializing in seafood.

2:00 PM7:00 PM27 M Cruising The Gulf Of Squillace 28 T Corfu, Greece X

Corfu, Greece

A scant few miles off the Albanian coast lies the island of Corfu, one of the most richly endowed of all the Greek Isles. Praised by Homer in "The Odyssey" and selected by Shakespeare as the setting for "The Tempest," the island retains evidence of cultural heritage from each of its past rulers - Byzantium, Venice, France, Russia and Great Britain. Rolling acres of olive groves, small orchards of lemon and orange trees, tall cypress, oleander, and myrtle bushes lend a lush, verdant look to the island. While the oldest part of Corfu Town has cobblestone lanes so narrow only pedestrian travel is possible, the modern sector has wide avenues. Residents boast that its "Spianada" is the largest and most beautiful square in all Greece.

8:00 AM5:00 PM29 W Brindisi, Italy X

Brindisi, Italy

Set on a peninsula between two arms of the Adriatic Sea, Brindisi was an important port of the Roman Empire, and later for the East India Company. In the 2nd century BC the Appian Way was built, linking the port to Rome, and a column near the harbor marks the end of that famous route. It is here that in 71 BC, the gladiator Spartacus led thousands of rebel slaves in an unsuccessful escape. Today visitors find Romanesque churches, a 13th-century castle and, in the surrounding Apulia region, remains of ancient Messapian culture.

8:00 AM6:00 PM30 TH Korcula, Croatia X

Korcula, Croatia

"The gods wanted to crown their creation so on the last day they turned tears, stars and the sea breeze into the isles of Kornati." Thus wrote George Bernard Shaw referring to the largest archipelago in the Mediterranean, the islands, islets, and reefs of the Dalmatian coast.

Korcula, the town and port on an island of the same name, could be called a Dubrovnik in miniature. Situated at the most strategic point of the island, along ancient sea trade routes, it has always attracted travellers and settlers. It is a window onto thousands of years of European culture; down through the centuries Hellenic, Roman, Illyrian, Croatian and Venetian civilizations have all left their mark. The Trojan hero Antenor was the legendary founder of the island, and it is well known as the birthplace of that great traveler, seaman, and explorer - Marco Polo.

Inside the town walls is a diversity of architecture which has remained untouched through the centuries. Wander through its narrow lanes, visit the gothic cathedral of St. Marco, take a peek at Marco Polo's birthplace, or climb one of the impressive towers built into the city walls.

8:00 AM5:00 PMOct 1 F Rovinj, Croatia X

Rovinj, Croatia

Nestled among the myriad islets of the Istrian coast in the Gulf of Venice, the charming harbor of Rovinj is comprised of candy-colored buildings, fringed with marinas and dominated by the fairytale spire of the Cathedral of Saint Euphemia, modeled on St. Mark's in Venice. The old town is a treasury of historic monuments - a 13th-century Romanesque baptistery, a Baroque City Hall, and an 18th-century monastery - all tucked among cobbled streets that invite exploration. Known as the "Montmartre of Istria," Rovinj is an artists' colony with many galleries.

10:00 AM9:30 PM2 S Venice, Italy Sep 25 S Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy X

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Originally built by Emperor Trajan who had a villa here, Civitavecchia has flourished as a major port for Rome since the 13th century. Today it is an important ferry terminal and for many travelers the gateway to Rome. The Renaissance fortifications that surround the harbor area were begun by Bramante and completed by Michelangelo in 1535. The port city is pleasant enough in itself with a variety of shops along the main street, a colorful market and a number of restaurants. However, true lovers of "la dolce vita" head straight for Rome, the Eternal City that forever beckons.

Its beginnings are shrouded in romantic legend that attributes the city's birth to Romulus in 753 BC, although earlier traces of habitation have been found on Palantine Hill. The Etruscans made it their center first in the 6th century BC and for centuries to follow. The city built on seven hills reigned as the ancient capital of the Western World and a center of Christianity for nearly 2000 years. Rome was not built in a day - and 2,500 years of history crammed into a maze of alleys, squares and monuments cannot be seen in one day either. For a short visit there are "must sees" that combine ancient, papal and modern Rome. However you choose to approach your visit, Rome has much to offer both the first time and the seasoned visitor.

5:00 PM26 SU Lipari Island, Italy X

Lipari Island, Italy

Lipari is the largest of the seven major islands making up the Aeolian Islands. They were originally named after Aeolus, the mythical god of wind who the ancients believed made his home in a cave here. Recently renamed the Lipari Islands, they were created by volcanic eruptions thousands of years ago and have a primitive rocky beauty accented by Mediterranean greenery. Their natural beauty and easy lifestyle have made the islands increasingly popular for those who wish to escape the modern world and its stresses. The crystal clear aqua-blue waters and the volcanic beaches are some of the most inviting in Italy. Many are inaccessible except by fishermen's boats. An abundance of fish and shell fish makes for some very good restaurants specializing in seafood.

2:00 PM7:00 PM27 M Cruising The Gulf Of Squillace 28 T Corfu, Greece X

Corfu, Greece

A scant few miles off the Albanian coast lies the island of Corfu, one of the most richly endowed of all the Greek Isles. Praised by Homer in "The Odyssey" and selected by Shakespeare as the setting for "The Tempest," the island retains evidence of cultural heritage from each of its past rulers - Byzantium, Venice, France, Russia and Great Britain. Rolling acres of olive groves, small orchards of lemon and orange trees, tall cypress, oleander, and myrtle bushes lend a lush, verdant look to the island. While the oldest part of Corfu Town has cobblestone lanes so narrow only pedestrian travel is possible, the modern sector has wide avenues. Residents boast that its "Spianada" is the largest and most beautiful square in all Greece.

8:00 AM5:00 PM29 W Brindisi, Italy X

Brindisi, Italy

Set on a peninsula between two arms of the Adriatic Sea, Brindisi was an important port of the Roman Empire, and later for the East India Company. In the 2nd century BC the Appian Way was built, linking the port to Rome, and a column near the harbor marks the end of that famous route. It is here that in 71 BC, the gladiator Spartacus led thousands of rebel slaves in an unsuccessful escape. Today visitors find Romanesque churches, a 13th-century castle and, in the surrounding Apulia region, remains of ancient Messapian culture.

8:00 AM6:00 PM30 TH Korcula, Croatia X

Korcula, Croatia

"The gods wanted to crown their creation so on the last day they turned tears, stars and the sea breeze into the isles of Kornati." Thus wrote George Bernard Shaw referring to the largest archipelago in the Mediterranean, the islands, islets, and reefs of the Dalmatian coast.

Korcula, the town and port on an island of the same name, could be called a Dubrovnik in miniature. Situated at the most strategic point of the island, along ancient sea trade routes, it has always attracted travellers and settlers. It is a window onto thousands of years of European culture; down through the centuries Hellenic, Roman, Illyrian, Croatian and Venetian civilizations have all left their mark. The Trojan hero Antenor was the legendary founder of the island, and it is well known as the birthplace of that great traveler, seaman, and explorer - Marco Polo.

Inside the town walls is a diversity of architecture which has remained untouched through the centuries. Wander through its narrow lanes, visit the gothic cathedral of St. Marco, take a peek at Marco Polo's birthplace, or climb one of the impressive towers built into the city walls.

8:00 AM5:00 PMOct 1 F Rovinj, Croatia X

Rovinj, Croatia

Nestled among the myriad islets of the Istrian coast in the Gulf of Venice, the charming harbor of Rovinj is comprised of candy-colored buildings, fringed with marinas and dominated by the fairytale spire of the Cathedral of Saint Euphemia, modeled on St. Mark's in Venice. The old town is a treasury of historic monuments - a 13th-century Romanesque baptistery, a Baroque City Hall, and an 18th-century monastery - all tucked among cobbled streets that invite exploration. Known as the "Montmartre of Istria," Rovinj is an artists' colony with many galleries.

10:00 AM9:30 PM2 S Venice, Italy

where2next sorry I posted the wrong date for the Aug cruise it is Aug 21 out of Barcelona. The ports visited are Barcelona, Spain, Palamos, Spain, Port Vendres (collioure), Fr.,Bandol, France, Marseille, France, Le Lavandou, France, St. Tropez, France, Monte Carlo, Monaco.

I have no direct knowledge of Seaborn or their cabins just responding to your request for dates of Seaborn cruises that can be purchased cheaply.

Hope I did not offend.

Archived