Eurodam vs. Nieuw Amsterdam

elycelynne

So I'm thinking that I'd like to try a Signature-class ship for my next cruise, probably Caribbean in January or February of next year. Other than no longer having that "new ship smell", are there any disadvantages to sailing on the slightly older ship (Eurodam), or should I just go by itinerary (which all seem to include Grand Turk)?

Eurodam - Nov 2008

Westerdam - Nov 2009

Niew A. - Dec 2010

Eurodam had its maiden voyage July 2008 so it was 4 months old when we boarded. We like the new ships and if you go next year it is still only a few years old. We look forward to Niew A. and seeing another new ship. We did notice a difference between the E. and the W. since the W. was about 5 years old and going to dry dock. I hope HAL brings out a new ship every few years so we can continue to try them out. You should take into consideration destinations, departure port, where you have to fly to and the cost.

... are there any disadvantages to sailing on the slightly older ship (Eurodam), or should I just go by itinerary (which all seem to include Grand Turk)?
Judging by what we do know, there will be some minor differences with the N.A. For example, there will be just 5 Lido cabanas on the starboard side of the Lido pool instead of 8 on the port side. There will be some decor differences. By the time the N.A. gets to the Caribbean in Jan, the problems of a new crew working together should be all ironed out (we hope most are worked out by Sep!!) so I think you should just go by the itinerary you prefer.

Ditto........ Pick by itinerary.

We sailed Eurodam two cruises last year and two more this year and really enjoyed her alot. LOve Tamarind and Silk Den. Eurodam is really a beautiful ship.

So I'm thinking that I'd like to try a Signature-class ship for my next cruise, probably Caribbean in January or February of next year. Other than no longer having that "new ship smell", are there any disadvantages to sailing on the slightly older ship (Eurodam), or should I just go by itinerary (which all seem to include Grand Turk)?

I really enjoyed the Vista Class (Eurodam) last fall for our 2wk cruise. It still had quite a new feel and was very nice! The restaurant choices were great and there were no complaints from me.

If there are 'kinks', m steve,

it can take more than a single cruise to get them worked out.

If you book a second cruise on a new ship, it is only reasonable IMO that you expect the crew is not working at their smoothest yet, that there will be areas that need attention. It takes time for a crew to develop their rhythmn.

On the other hand, it is probable Nieuw Amsterdam should have fewer kinks as she is the second in the series of Vista ships whereas Eurodam was first.

We go by the intinerary. We love the HAL ships because although the decor is different, they all have what makes us comfortable on HAL ships--we know what to expect ahead of time. It is easier for me to get around on the smaller ships.

a lot of the staff we spoke to were being transferred to the NA. From shop managers to waiters and bartenders. Look forward to seeing some familiar faces. I think ever the Capt. was transferring.
There will be a mix of new and old people, of course, and it still takes a while to get things running smoothly. I'm hoping things will be smooth by Sep! :)

By the time the N.A. gets to the Caribbean in Jan, the problems of a new crew working together should be all ironed out (we hope most are worked out by Sep!!).

Me too !

Looking forward to meet you !

Holacanada in 154 days, 11 hours, 9 minutes and 40 seconds

Archived