Money matters....Euros? Turkish Liras?

lrcruising

we are on the Grand Mediterranean cruise on Ruby princess visiting Athens, Kusadasi, Istanbul, Mykonos, Naples, Rome, Florence, Monte Carlo and Barcelona. Do all ports accept Euros? what about USD? are Turkish Liras essential in Turkey?

Where is the best place to get Euros? airport? ATM? can you get them on the cruise ship?

Thanks.

I always go to a bank before I leave home and exchange some money. That way I don't have to worry about the fees they charge on ship or in the airport. When I run out I always use an ATM, a much better exchange rate. We will be traveling in October but I have been checking the dollar/euro ratio every so often on the internet and it seems to be getting a little better. When it hits a good rate I'll exchange dollars for euros & Turkish Lyre and have a small amount for the first part of the trip.

Before you leave home - Wells Fargo foreign currency is the best way to get Euros but watch the rates. The rate you pay will NOT be the lowest rate around because that is the interline rate (http://www.xe.com). Consumers pay a higher rate, which is (I think) about 2% more. If you go to this website, you can monitor the rates: https://www.wellsfargo.com/foreignexchange/

For the amount we plan to get, I have seen a difference of about $42.00 just in the past week, so it really pays to watch the rates. BTW, AAA uses Wells Fargo for their foreign currency now, so any rate you see on the link above will be the same exact amount that AAA charges - there are no breaks on the fee from what I was told. You can get the $15 fee waived if you order over $1000.00 worth of currency through Wells Fargo.

While in Europe - Use ATM machines if you have a 4-digit code. Many ATMs do not have letters on their keypads and they do not accept 6-digit codes. Also, be aware that if your daily allowance is $300.00, you'll only get about 214 Euros per day (given today's rates). If you have a costly tour, it can be a pain to get 214 Euros out every day until you have the amount you need.

Avoid using the ATMs on the ship and at the airport, as they have the worst rates.

I know we used Euros in each port. But we did not stop in Barcelona or Monte Carlo.

With all due respect to Toto (we are not worthy, we are not worthy :p) we were not able to use Euros in Istanbul.

Will they accept Euros in Istanbul and Kusadasi? I thought Turkey used something else.

For purchases you can use euros (just be prepared for a not-so-great rate of exchange).

However, if you want to do anything on your own, such as ride the tram or visit Haghia Sophia or Topkapi Palace, etc, you must pay in Turkish lira.

There are plenty of ATMs in Turkey and again, it's better to use an ATM to get cash than just about any other alternative. I travel overseas pretty often and I have compared them all.

Yes--for Kusudasi, merchants and restaurants will take CC or Euro or USD cash, but you'll need YTL (Turkish Lira) for entrance fees to Ephesus and the Terrace Houses (unless you're on a tour which covers such expenses). There's a little free-standing HSBC ATM kiosk just ahead as you exit the port gates--it dispenses, if I recall correctly, $USD, Euro, GBP, and YTL.

Good advice on previous posts--airports, cruise ships, back alleys are, generally, bad places to exchange currency. ATMs (bank-operated ones, not the ones labelled "Uncle Vinny's cash machine" in the back of the falafel shop) are generally ok.

Kevin

Don't get more Turkish Lira than you need for Kusadasi. You can't change them back to US currency according to our bank.

Funny story: DH never wanted to buy anything while traveling. I gave him Turkish Lira for his birthday and told him it would be wasted if he didn't spend it. He bargained for a leather jacket in Kusadasi just so he could spend the Lira. The shop owners had to bring out a calculator and make phone calls to see how much the jacket would be in Lira. Everyone usually pays with Euro, Dollars or credit card. We still chuckle over that one.

...Good advice on previous posts--airports, cruise ships, back alleys are, generally, bad places to exchange currency. ATMs (bank-operated ones, not the ones labelled "Uncle Vinny's cash machine" in the back of the falafel shop) are generally ok.

Kevin

Darn! That's the one I was planning on using! :D

Relying on Euros isn't optimal. It is not the preferred currency and many retailers do not accept them. You're more likely to find them accepted at the (super touristed) Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. But the Grand Bazaar isn't really the best shopping venue although it deserves a visit for historic reasons.

If you are planning on excursioning on your own, the government operated historic sites don't take Euro for tickets (nor credit cards - that's weird) neither does public transit or restaurants. Istanbul is an exciting and easy place to do on ones own.

Currency problem? Not really. Turkey has ATMs all over the place and you needn't exchange a huge amount. Credit cards are accepted otherwise by retailers nearly as widely as stateside. Plus the shopping IS terrific so you'll almost certainly use up a modest amount of cash... Buy a few painted tiles for me, at $3 a pop they're a terrific authentic souvenir.

If you are going on a cruise line excursion you'll be OK with dollars, but retailers that can't price their goods in TL are operating a tourist only super mark up shop IMHO. Last month in Izmir, retailers 'might' accept or price in Euro on request, but most preferred not to. Kusadaisi is economically 'owned' by the cruise lines, but for that reason you need to be careful buying there. Several years ago I suffered a 'switch' there at a carpet shop that a Princess excursion took us (secondary purchase); don't let them take anything from view to wrap it or package it for you...

Turkey is a great place though generally; one of my favorite places. But, Euro/dollar oriented retailers are usually marking tourists in price. For instance, in Istanbul the Egyptian (Spice) Bazaar is more atmospheric and local oriented than the Grand Bazaar; mind you the Spice Bazaar attracts plenty of tourists. But retail prices in the Spice Bazaar for a slew of identical mechandise start 30-50% lower than the GB... The retailers in the Spice Bazaar aren't Euro oriented nor as flexible in bargaining but if the item starts at half the price of the GB then who's to complain...

Before you leave home - Wells Fargo foreign currency is the best way to get Euros but watch the rates. .

While in Europe -

Avoid using the ATMs on the ship and at the airport, as they have the worst rates.

I never get Euros before leaving home.

I always use an airport ATM when I arrive in Europe and always have a good exchange rate with them.

If I fly into a non-Euro country, then I use an ATM in the first Euro country port the ship goes to.

I agree -- never use the exchange ATMs on the ship. Besides a very poor rate of exchange, there is a service charge added.

I never get Euros before leaving home.

I always use an airport ATM when I arrive in Europe and always have a good exchange rate with them.

If I fly into a non-Euro country, then I use an ATM in the first Euro country port the ship goes to.

I agree -- never use the exchange ATMs on the ship. Besides a very poor rate of exchange, there is a service charge added.

There is no way I can get out enough Euros out of the ATM machine to pay for what I need to pay for in cash. All our private tours and private transfers accept cash only and they're pricey. I hate to have to do it ahead of time, but it'll save the hassle of daily ATM visits and still coming up short. :cool:

guard your ATM pin number as some of the ATMS have hidden cameras. We had our pin code stolen in Provance and they used our number, at the same location, over and over again while we were travelling...even after we had returned home, to withdraw cash. And I had called the credit card/debit card company to tell them when and where we would be travelling...with specific dates for each country. When we were able to look at our statement on line, we called the company (Capital One) and explained what had happened...we were not charged but it was obviously a loss for the company and one that could have been avoided...if the fraud protection aspect had been working correctly. A little disturbing...considering we let them know the details and the theft was allowed to occur over and over again!! While the company absorbed the loss...I'm sure we all pay for it in the long run. And watch out for people standing around the machine...just waiting to "help you"...I think they were a part of this theft as well. LuAnn

The US dollar is very welcome in Kusadasi and Istanbul. They love it. They will take pounds, dollars and anything else as long as it is money.

Maybe in a smaller restaurant you would need euros or Turkish Lira but the tourist shops love the dollar. Don`t forget to haggle, especially in Kusadasi.

Why don`t you exchange you money into euros before you go? You are bound to get a better rate in the US.

Why don`t you exchange you money into euros before you go? You are bound to get a better rate in the US.

Actually, this is not true. Most banks charge a markup on the rate of exchange, a service fee, or both.

ATMs are the most cost-effective means to get euros if you are from the US.

However, if you are only getting enough euros to have a "comfort level" the amount saved (or lost) isn't worth losing sleep over.

Archived