what to do now.

To all west coasters.

Where are you going now? Are you going to

another cruise line or will you be flying somewhere to

continue cruising with RCCL.

I am unable to fly, so I am very disappointed. I

am on Mariner one week a month. Dont know

what to do now.

We have 1 more on Mariner, and then Radiance Alaska from San Diego.

We will continue with RCL and will look at Celebrity.

We like repos and transatlantics, good prices and less flying, not totally round trip flights.

Have you considered taking the train to/from ports?

We take Amtrak to SD from north of LA, very nice.

Maybe we'll get a ship back in 2012.

We are sailing Allure and flying to do it. It is going to add another $1500-2000 to our fare. Because of that, we are going to get 2 Central Park View cabins instead of getting 2 of something nicer. Oh well. The allure of sailing Allure is too strong; I just have to do it! ;)

That being said, since our easy little "Mariner getaway" that we were going to make a tradition is going away, we are looking into Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco). We absolutely loved west coast Mexico more than we ever dreamed so we think that Rocky Point may be a good option for us. It is only 3.5 hours from home (shorter than the drive to LA!) and has great values at beautiful resorts. We just planned our first trip for June so we will know more then.

I hate to fly..scares the **** out of me. I see my dr. and get a perscription of Zanax....a couple of cocktails later..I am good to go.....Flying won't stop me from cruising. We did the Mariner down to Mexico in April 2009..once was enough...We will miss the Mariner but not teh ports of call.....our next cruise will be out of Florida...the following I am doing research for the Med 2012

Looks like the Mariner 2 more times...both with you....one in 2 weeks and then will book the last 7 nighter when we are on the mariner for Jan 9th.....

THEN WE WILL GO TO HELL....:mad:.......I MEAN CARNIVAL....MAYBE...Like you, she is 20-30 minutes from the house. Like you I hate to Fly....Can but just hate too.

I guess it is OK to say we Hate you RCCL for doing this to your loyal West Coast Cruisers.

Mike ...Yes Mike

Looks like we will have to switch to Princess. We have 17 cruises with RCCL and 3 with Princess. It's quicker and easier to get to Princess Elite status then RCCL. Let's see, 7 more on RCCL verus 7 on Princess. Won't have to fly to get on a Princess ship. Princess is a win win.

We will be on Mariner for New Year's. We aren't really loyal to any one cruise line though, so it isn't a problem for us. We switch around on lines depending in itinerary and price anyway.

Hate to say this but we will have no choice right now but to switch over to Princess or CCL if we want to take those 2 MR cruises we had planned on booking for 2011 & 2012. Was so looking foreward to Mariner being our mode of transportation:(

We do feel as if we have been abandoned by RCCL out here in the West. Not good PR on RC's part. Will hope they change their minds & send us a nice ship for the MR itineraries once Mariner leaves. Maybe another Radiance class??:confused:

Barbara,

We have been on 7 Princess Cruises to Mexico & I know that you would like them. Neil & I really enjoyed our last one with them last October but came back to RCCl because after our September cruise we will be Diamonds Plus.

I'm really upset that Royal are taking all of their ships from the west coast. First we lost the Hawaii route (which was fabulous) then the 3/4 day & now the Mariner. I am also a little suspicious that RCCI hired ex Carnival employees to their Executive Team about 2 years ago & then all the changes started, & now Carnival have complete monopoly of the West Coast.....just a thought!!!!

Also as you know Barbara I'm a Travel Agent & have heard some great reports on Holland American. So if you can get to San Diego that would be another thought.

Looking forward to meeting up with you again in September.

DW and I just got off the Mariner Sunday :( We're now in the process of deciding between Voyager of the Seas or a CCL ship in March. Sadly, looks like Galveston or Florida, here we come. As a side note, Carnival is revamping its cruises to the MR for next year. Beginning in December, it will be doing 5 day and 9 day cruises to the MR, with longer stops in Cabo.

http://www.travelweekly.com/article3_ektid213632.aspx

We will continue with Royal but won't waste the $$ to fly for a 7 day cruise, so will look for some S Caribben cruises later. Oct 29, 2011 we have a TA on the LOS, so it will be at least a couple years after that before we probably cruise again. We also will sail with Princess

...As a side note, Carnival is revamping its cruises to the MR for next year. Beginning in December, it will be doing 5 day and 9 day cruises to the MR, with longer stops in Cabo.

Thanks for the info! I was saddened when Monarch left and now Mariner...I won't likely fly to a midwest or east coast port to depart, so I guess my next cruise will likely be the 5 day on Carnival.

DW and I just got off the Mariner Sunday :( We're now in the process of deciding between Voyager of the Seas or a CCL ship in March. Sadly, looks like Galveston or Florida, here we come. As a side note, Carnival is revamping its cruises to the MR for next year. Beginning in December, it will be doing 5 day and 9 day cruises to the MR, with longer stops in Cabo.

The above article can be a little misleading. Actually, the ship can't spend 2 consecutive days in Cabo as it has to anchor in the bay and not tie up at a pier. Apparently that causes some type of problem so a Carnival rep at a travel show last weekend stated the ship will make 2 stops in Cabo, one going down to Mexico and one on the leg returning to LA. Not sure if that is the same as 2 full days.

The above article can be a little misleading. Actually, the ship can't spend 2 consecutive days in Cabo as it has to anchor in the bay and not tie up at a pier. Apparently that causes some type of problem so a Carnival rep at a travel show last weekend stated the ship will make 2 stops in Cabo, one going down to Mexico and one on the leg returning to LA. Not sure if that is the same as 2 full days.

The ship will spend 2 days in Cabo right in a row. It will leave at 5, 6, or 7pm on the first day and come back about 7am on the second day. BTW these cruises will be leaving out of San Diego.

Very sad that RCI is abandoning the west coast..hope they will see that it was a mistake.....We have done the 8 nighter out of FLL on the INDY twice and will be doing the Liberty Mar 2011 out of MIA on the last one RCI is going to be doing...No west coast and now no 8 nighters out of Florida..what are they thinking ?????

The problem is just like any other port that requires tendering. If any cruise ship offered overnights at tendering ports they would be taking a huge risk. If the sea state were to change and the ship began to drag anchor, the captain would have no choice but to get underway. Even if the ship were to use it's azipods and thrusters to maintain position it would still not resolve the issue of tendering passengers under heavy sea conditions. If the ship could not tender the second day, you could end up with a lot of stranded passengers.

Even in a port with docking facilities, it is still risky to do overnights. Look at what happened in Barcelona when the ship had to get underway because of high winds. There are just very few places where overnights would be safe 99.9% of the time. Venice, Italy and Pearl Harbor, Hawaii are the only 2 that I know of. Of course there are many places that could offer safe anchorages or docking facilities but they are generally not places that cruise ships offer overnights to. Places like Norfolk, VA - Baltimore, MD - New Orleans - etc. The issue will always be one of repatriating the passengers with the ship if the ship has to get underway.

I've been on an aircraft carrier that had to depart the pier in Subic Bay, Philippines because of high winds. On another aircraft carrier that twice had to get underway due to dragging anchor during high seas. This was in Mombasa, Kenya and Karachi, Pakistan. All 3 times, we had to use our helicopters to get the crew back onboard.

The ship will spend 2 days in Cabo right in a row. It will leave at 5, 6, or 7pm on the first day and come back about 7am on the second day.

Just relaying what I was told. I guess the ship will sail in circles overnight. Seems pretty silly.

BTW these cruises will be leaving out of San Diego.
Carnival and Holland appear to be the only lines left that will homeport in SD. Question. Who's going to use the new Broadway cruise ship facilities?

I was on the Mariner in February and LOVED it, so I'm sad she's leaving, too. We are on the Sapphire Princess this weekend to see how she does the Mexican Riviera. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Looks like the Mariner 2 more times...both with you....one in 2 weeks and then will book the last 7 nighter when we are on the mariner for Jan 9th.....

THEN WE WILL GO TO HELL....:mad:.......I MEAN CARNIVAL....MAYBE...Like you, she is 20-30 minutes from the house. Like you I hate to Fly....Can but just hate too.

I guess it is OK to say we Hate you RCCL for doing this to your loyal West Coast Cruisers.

Mike ...Yes Mike

Hey, Mike how are you? I was so bummed to hear this. We were trying to plan a Mariner for 2 years from now. Guess that won't happen now. Really enjoyed out Radiance cruise. have fun on your future cruises.

Candi

Archived