Friend on a cruise paid 100.00 for a future cruise.....??

She told me they paid 100.00 for a future cruise and that gave her upgrades. That is all she knew about 100.00. What is this? She said her travel agent gets commission.

I have no idea what she is talking about I have a feeling she has no idea?

Can you help me explain this to her. ( she is a 75 yr old lady and not very good on the computer so i am helping her)

She purchased a "NextCruise" certificate. By putting down the deposit to purchase a future cruise, she gets $100 OBC (for a 7-night cruise) when she books it. She can choose the cruise later. She was probably also given free Friends and Family certificates, to encourage her to invite others to come on the same cruise she's going on. They would get the same OBC, if they book the exact same sailing with 30 days of when your friend books.

Not necesarily a NC. When you book a specific cruise onboard they are now giving category upgrades (as mentioned) on many cruises and the deposit is $100 each.

My guess is she booked a specific cruise was given an upgrade and the deposit was $100 per person.

If she purchased a next cruise certificate with only one person deposit ($100)onboard but listed her TA on the booking...This would give her $50 OBC with upgrades (if available) but if she has a spouse or friend traveling with her will have to add another deposit of $100. The OBC is $50 pp OBC. We did the exact same thing thinking to save $100 at initial booking, didn't achieve anything doing that. Added my spouse and got the $100 OBC but at the time they were not giving any upgrades with it. That's how it happened on Mariner.

If she purchased a next cruise certificate with only one person deposit ($100)onboard but listed her TA on the booking...This would give her $50 OBC with upgrades (if available) but if she has a spouse or friend traveling with her will have to add another deposit of $100. The OBC is $50 pp OBC. We did the exact same thing thinking to save $100 at initial booking, didn't achieve anything doing that. Added my spouse and got the $100 OBC but at the time they were not giving any upgrades with it. That's how it happened on Mariner.

thanks all... i am trying to explain this to my friend. So the point of the 100.00 is what? She has a spouse and listed him on the paper she filled out. She has no certificate in hand. Is she suppose to have one? Should i call her travel agent for help? What is a deposit for?

I am confused and trying to help her....

The deposit means she can pick a cruise now that she is home. Or she can wait to choose a cruise. Whatever the price of the cruise, the $100 will go toward the payment of that cruise. She will get on board credit of $100 per cabin for a 6-10 night cruise. More for a longer and less for a shorter cruise. She should definitely have a future cruise booking confirmation which would have been given to her while she was on board. If she has no papers confirming this, then hope her TA was notified. Otherwise, she has nothing to prove that she booked anything and she will not be able to book a cruise and use the $100 deposit, nor will she get any on board credit.

The deposit means she can pick a cruise now that she is home. Or she can wait to choose a cruise. Whatever the price of the cruise, the $100 will go toward the payment of that cruise. She will get on board credit of $100 per cabin for a 6-10 night cruise. More for a longer and less for a shorter cruise. She should definitely have a future cruise booking confirmation which would have been given to her while she was on board. If she has no papers confirming this, then hope her TA was notified. Otherwise, she has nothing to prove that she booked anything and she will not be able to book a cruise and use the $100 deposit, nor will she get any on board credit.

If she lost the certificate, no problem. RCCL will have it in their system. This will give her OBC for the future cruise, but DOES NOT give an upgrade.

I did $100 down and managed to book the next cruise for self and spouse with only the $100. Possible that they made a mistake, but I didn't complain. Also, they say that you can use this forever, it never expires.

So the advantage is a lower down pay, OBC and the certificates for friends and family.

Also, the certificate number they gave will be her reservation number whenever she books, no matter when that is. If she named her TA she will have to book through them. Still, she can barter with her TA and use that loyalty to gain some extra perks, like maybe some paid tips. :cool:.

Still, it's not a bad deal. I used this and did an Oasis cruise for $200 down almost 2 years out. Not bad, really. Put the money to pay the cruise aside then used my RCCL Visa, got the double points, then paid the card in full. No interest. More OBC! Sweet. :D

It almost sounds like she's mixing the two on board booking programs. At least in March, if you booked on board, you had a $100/person deposit, a $100/cabin OBC for a 7 day cruise, and a one category upgrade, at least up to D2 to D1. That was for a specific itinerary.

The Next Cruise program was a $100 nonrefundable deposit per person, but you and up to two other cabins could book with a $100/cabin OBC anytime in the future. For the one category upgrade, you booked a specific cruise; for the Next Cruise, you just gave a deposit.

What is a deposit for?

I am confused and trying to help her....

The deposit is basically a down payment on the cruise. When you book another cruise while onboard, it is generally a reduced amount than you would otherwise pay. For example, if you are sitting at home and call the cruiseline or your TA and book, you usually have to put down $500/cabin. If you book while onboard, that deposit is generally reduced to $100, although I think that may be per person, not per cabin. The reduced deposit may be offered with additional benefits, such as OBC, but on the other hand it is generally non-refundable.

Archived