Honningsvag Norway/ North Cape

Homelover - I spent last night attempting to add a picture to my reply - so tonight I will reply and then figure out the picture part. The tour was advertised as 3 hours, but we were out for a bit longer. We still had plenty of time to walk around Honningsvag and shop a little. We did not go into the ice bar - but browsed their gift shop. In another very rustic shop - I met 2 wonderful Sami ladies who sell handmade crafts. They spoke Sami and I didn't but we were able to communicate just fine. I will attempt to upload the photos as a new post and not a quick reply.

I think there is a tunnel you go under as you leave town. Perhaps there is a toll for that? Do hope someone knows and will post the toll amount.

DH said the country is paying for the road to North Cape by charging high entrance fees rather than taxing the residents. It is possible they also have a toll road here - seems to be the thing to do these days - in Florida as well!

As I recall correctly, the toll was about $75.00. The admission to the visitor center was about $50 each. Weather is not a given and the usual is fog with limited visibility and strong, cold winds.

Norway is a very wealthy country from their oil. Their residents are actually paid a hefty rebate each year from oil profits. This is a site specifically for tourists and they are taking full advantage. The view from the cruise ship is much better.

Yes, Florida does have toll roads....The Florida Turnpike and Interstate 275 connecting St. Pete and Tampa are two of them. The tolls on each are relatively reasonable.

We cruised the HAL North Cape Explorer last year in July on the Prinsendam. The King Crab Safari was one of the highlights of the entire cruise - an we went on some fabulous excursions. Just the ride across the bay in the Kodiak was worth the trip - but it was cold - we had to wear survival suits (and I don't look that good in orange). They outfitted us with boots, survival suits (over our own coats), gloves and goggles. Most of the passengers sat on the inflated rubber side of the Kodiak boat and held on with a rope. We stopped in middle of the bay and, yes, the crab pots were staged - but I did not care. They hauled in a full crab pot and we continued on to the other side of the bay where we had the Sami tent complete with bar, center cooking fire and benched covered in reindeer fur. My facebook photo is me in that orange suit holding a crab. There was a herd of reindeer near the tent. After dining on the crab - we went back on the Kodiak. It was wild and so much better than a bus tour. Another passenger on our cruise tried to get on the tour though the tour operator directly - but it was sold out. Those that went to the North Cape reported fog so thick they could not see much. We think we definately made the right choice for us. Loved it!!!

Just a small correction. Kodiak is an island located off the coast of Alaska. The large inflatable watercrafts used for exploration are called "Zodiacs."

We cruised the HAL North Cape Explorer last year in July on the Prinsendam. The King Crab Safari was one of the highlights of the entire cruise - an we went on some fabulous excursions. Just the ride across the bay in the Kodiak was worth the trip - but it was cold - we had to wear survival suits (and I don't look that good in orange). They outfitted us with boots, survival suits (over our own coats), gloves and goggles. Most of the passengers sat on the inflated rubber side of the Kodiak boat and held on with a rope. We stopped in middle of the bay and, yes, the crab pots were staged - but I did not care. They hauled in a full crab pot and we continued on to the other side of the bay where we had the Sami tent complete with bar, center cooking fire and benched covered in reindeer fur. My facebook photo is me in that orange suit holding a crab. There was a herd of reindeer near the tent. After dining on the crab - we went back on the Kodiak. It was wild and so much better than a bus tour. Another passenger on our cruise tried to get on the tour though the tour operator directly - but it was sold out. Those that went to the North Cape reported fog so thick they could not see much. We think we definately made the right choice for us. Loved it!!!

Loved your post. We were on the same cruise as you and were up in the Crows Nest (having a drink of course) when we saw these folks coming across the bay in their funny orange suits! Small world.

Hank

As I recall correctly, the toll was about $75.00. The admission to the visitor center was about $50 each. Weather is not a given and the usual is fog with limited visibility and strong, cold winds.

Norway is a very wealthy country from their oil. Their residents are actually paid a hefty rebate each year from oil profits. This is a site specifically for tourists and they are taking full advantage. The view from the cruise ship is much better.

Yes, Florida does have toll roads....The Florida Turnpike and Interstate 275 connecting St. Pete and Tampa are two of them. The tolls on each are relatively reasonable.

Wow - $75 - that is pretty hefty. I was thinking it might be $20 or $30. Obviously this is the way for Norwegian government to pay for the North Cape visitor's center. It helps explain why the excursion price is so high. Hmmm, wonder what the toll for the bus is?

Wow - $75 - that is pretty hefty. I was thinking it might be $20 or $30. Obviously this is the way for Norwegian government to pay for the North Cape visitor's center. It helps explain why the excursion price is so high. Hmmm, wonder what the toll for the bus is?

(Hank smiles to himself). You have no idea (maybe you do) about the cost of things in Norway. Suffice it to say that we tried hard to not buy lunch while off the ship. When a simple single portion of pizza (like a pan pizza) costs $30, and a beer costs another $8 you start thinking....my goodness...a simple lunch can run nearly $100. And then you see the Norwegians happily gobbling down their lunches at these nice outdoor cafes. To put it bluntly, the price of most things in Norway is absolutely staggering! And we say this even though we are used to European prices. A Norwegian explained to us that the minimum wage in Norway (more tradition then law) is about $28 an hour. This is a wonderful country with a very high standard of living (and one of the highest suicide rates) but it's pricing and currency is out of synch with most of the world. For a Norwegian to vacation in the US must be an amazing bargain.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
(Hank smiles to himself). You have no idea (maybe you do) about the cost of things in Norway. Suffice it to say that we tried hard to not buy lunch while off the ship. When a simple single portion of pizza (like a pan pizza) costs $30, and a beer costs another $8 you start thinking....my goodness...a simple lunch can run nearly $100. And then you see the Norwegians happily gobbling down their lunches at these nice outdoor cafes. To put it bluntly, the price of most things in Norway is absolutely staggering! And we say this even though we are used to European prices. A Norwegian explained to us that the minimum wage in Norway (more tradition then law) is about $28 an hour. This is a wonderful country with a very high standard of living (and one of the highest suicide rates) but it's pricing and currency is out of synch with most of the world. For a Norwegian to vacation in the US must be an amazing bargain. Hank

YES! Hank is right on the high costs in Norway. Below are some added details that I had posts on my longer live/blog for this question last July on: “What did we learn about Norway and its economy during this visit?”

Since Norway is very costly that's one of the key advantages for doing a cruise there to lessen some of those higher lodging, food and local transportation costs when attempting a land tour. From my research, there are three main factors. First, that 25% VAT tax hidden in the cost of all products and services does really add up. Second, their taxes are very high and those costs all get added into things and drive up labor, etc., costs. Third, since so many of their goods need to be imported (with decent tariffs added on), it all makes these costs higher and higher. Without all of the oil wealth since 1969, Norway would have a fiscal mess. Thanks to that oil money, it has driven up labor costs in many parts of their country. That wealth, however, means they have no national debt, have enjoyed lots of infrastructure improvements and have a "sovereign fund" equaling about $100K per person. It's an interesting country and financial situation. And then there is the beauty of these coasts with their expected fjords, plus the mountains, green fields, etc.

What might things cost in Norway? Here are a range of examples. At a 7-11 (yes they have those there) in Alesund, a Snickers candy bar would be $4. A beer in front of the historic warehouses in Bergen was $13.25 (I did say it was $12 earlier, but my math was bad in converting its 85 NOK cost to dollars). Lunch for two with a small pizza, hamburger and two drinks was $65 in Tromso. You get the idea? Not cheap. Sorry! Far from it. A Toyota RAV4 that costs around $23,000 here would have been $62K at the showroom in Leknes on the Lofoten Island. My numbers might be a little low now. At a current rate of 5.35 Norway Krone to the dollar that 85 NOK beer would cost around $16. The sinking value of the dollar hurts U.S. travelers in Europe.

Our guide in Bergen also explained that there are serious labor and people “imbalances” in Norway. Women are in larger numbers (compared to men) in the cities, while in the more rural/country and more northern areas, it is the men in much larger proportion. The country also needs more people as its population is aging, quickly. About 8% of the population is immigrants. Our guide said there is a phrase of “we need more hands” to reflect the future question/challenge of who will do the work and services in the future for Norway.

BEST SHOPPING: We liked Bergen best with it various woolen items. The prices were fairly reasonable and provided nice and enjoyable item to give and share as memories of our trip to Norway.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now at 42,841 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 1 year later...
Ask on your Roll Call you will be surprised at how quickly you can get 5 others to share ;)

It was around 1850 NOK for the taxi & I think 235 NOK PP to get into the North Cape centre

a lot cheaper than the cruise line prices

Lyn

Lyn,

How have your been?

I found this thread when I was looking for information for our cruise next year. I am very interested in organizing a taxi to take us to North Cape as you did.

Did it work out well, and how long were you at North Cape? Also, did you visit anywhere else whilst you there. I know it must have been awhile ago when you did the Norway cruise but any information would be a great help.

We are going in June next year.

Jennie.

Jennie,

Hi. This is another Lynn!!!

Did this last year, and we rented a car instead of a taxi. It was a stick shift, but it worked well. I will have to look up the price, but we had 5 people and went to the Bird watching safari and the North Cape.. No fee for the north Cape. don't know if we just had a bad day, but the Bird safari was a complete waste of time and money ....we never got close enough to any birds to see anything, except for the guide saying that was a Puffin, or and Eagle, or whatever it was we saw flying in the air....... I would have to find my file to find out the cost, but driving there is easy (only one road between pier and North Cape). Weather was beautiful in N>C when we arrived, and an hour later, you could not see your hand in front of your face!!!

Lynn

Jennie, Hi. This is another Lynn!!! Did this last year, and we rented a car instead of a taxi. It was a stick shift, but it worked well. I will have to look up the price, but we had 5 people and went to the Bird watching safari and the North Cape.. No fee for the north Cape. don't know if we just had a bad day, but the Bird safari was a complete waste of time and money ....we never got close enough to any birds to see anything, except for the guide saying that was a Puffin, or and Eagle, or whatever it was we saw flying in the air....... I would have to find my file to find out the cost, but driving there is easy (only one road between pier and North Cape). Weather was beautiful in N>C when we arrived, and an hour later, you could not see your hand in front of your face!!! Lynn

Sorry for "neighbor" Lynn from here in Ohio that your Bird Rock adventure did not work out. Ours in July 2010 was super special. Below are a few of my visuals from going there in and around the Bird Island. More details and added visuals are on the full live/blog connected below for the whole trip up and down the great Norway coast. In and around this part at the top of Norway is always a bit of the "roll of the dice" as weather can change from spectacularly sunny to foggy in just a few hours. We had BOTH!! That's part of what makes it all so unique.

We visited the small fishing village of Gjesvaer, about 22 miles NW of Honningsvaag. We had a rental car for the four of us and we traveled a route that was sunny, very dramatic and rising through this stark, but beautiful landscape. There are no trees to be seen this far north. We had packed a picnic lunch with us. We got there early, but our bird rock charter was doing a photo tour with a Polish photographer with 26” lens. He took about 1000 different pictures while on his trip out there.

Before boarding, I asked our Captain if we would see any puffins. His reaction? “You’ll see 2.6 million there. There will be so many, it will seem like they are mosquitoes.” That sounded like hype, but it was true . . . and more! These pictures give you only a small sampling of what all we saw. It was birds, birds, birds!!!

To do our boat charter, you can check this website: http://www.birdsafari-aurora.no/ or e-mail at ro71no@online.no.

Our Captain was super, excellent for doing a 90-minute tour. It was scheduled for only sixty minutes, but we got more. His boat had a capacity of eight persons, was a 27-feet size and was propelled by 222-horse power*engine with thrusters to get closer to the rocks of this protected island where humans are not allowed. For the four of us, it cost us a total of 2000 NOK for the boat charter. We had special “polar suits” to protect against the cold and wind. It was not too cold, but we needed these warmer suits they provided. To be honest, weather is a “crap shoot” here. We were lucky, very fortunate! And happy. We got our car rental through: lene@nordkappbilservice.no

What an experience!!!! Loved it! On larger boats, you cannot get as close to the birds as we did, being closer to water level, seeing the gull colony up front and personal, etc. It was great with super weather, until the fog set in hard as we were going back to port. Fortunately, he had a sophisticated GPS, depth screen to guide him back in this “soupy” setting.

Added questions, comments, reactions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 87,699 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was the harbor scene as we had our picnic at an open table before going on our charter boat to the bird rock areas. That tree trunk/limbs shown didn't actually grow there. It was brought in and placed there. This far north, nothing major grows and the land areas are very much a type of tundra. Extremely interesting and beautiful area!:

NorCapeHarborTree.jpg

Sailing from the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, this is the first of many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

We found five seals on this rock. They slid off of the rock, into the water and then peaked their heads up to say "HI" to us.:

BirdRockSealRock.jpg

These are some of these Cormorant black birds at their perching area on this island.:

BirdRockBlackBirds.jpg

This shows a huge colony of sea gulls along the rocks and deep into the large opening in the side of the mountain.:

BirdRockGullColony.jpg

After getting our rental car in Honningvag, the store clerk mentioned in passing a warning of “Watch out of the reindeer.” Just casually saying it. Sure. Maybe, we’ll see some in the distance. Two or three, maybe!? On the way to Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was a small part of the large herd of reindeer we discovered on the way to our boat charter. They believed that all of this territory, including the road, belong to them. The young baby reindeer were especially cute!:

BirdRockReindeerOnRoad.jpg

Lyn,

Thank you for replying so promptly. I am not so keen to drive as we drive on the opposite side of the road to Norway and therefore wouldn't feel so confident. Also, I heard that the tolls were "over the top".

I am also worried though that the weather will close in. Taking a ship's tour and not being able to see anything, seems to be a huge waste of money, especially as they are charging heaps whereas if we hire a taxi, then we can choose where we want to go.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

Hi Terry,,,,,I remember how wonderful your bird safari experience was. I also remember your great pictures.

Jennie, it is funny what you said about driving....believe it or not, my friend from Tasmania drove the car!!! Basically, there is very little tHowever, if you feel more comfortable with a taxi, that sounds fine. As I said about thee weather in the norh Cape, the advantage of being on your own, is the fact that if it is fogged in, you can wait around as long as you want, because it can change quickly!!! You will love the whole cruise!!! I did!

Lyn,

When did you do the cruise and with what cruise line? Also, which ports did you visit?

We are visiting Flam - we are booked on the train, Tromso, Ny Alesund, Kirkenes, Gradval, Hellyesylt/Geiranger - we are going to do the ship's excursion here and Bergen where we have visited once before. Any information would be appreciated.

Jennie

Lyn,

When did you do the cruise and with what cruise line? Also, which ports did you visit?

We are visiting Flam - we are booked on the train, Tromso, Ny Alesund, Kirkenes, Gradval, Hellyesylt/Geiranger - we are going to do the ship's excursion here and Bergen where we have visited once before. Any information would be appreciated.

Jennie

Hi Jennie did not see your post until now

Hope you are well

we did Oceania in 2010

The taxi in in Honningvaag was very good... there were 7 of us from the ship ...we did the morning tour 1 hr there 1 hr at the Cape & 1 hr back

The driver was very good and stopped a few places for photos & the Christmas store

You have to pay to get into the site but it was still cheaper than the cruise line

https://www.rica-hotels.com/PageFiles/12254/openinghours_and_pricelist_individuals-2012.pdf

We did Bergen on our own as we had been before

We only did Geiranger on your list & we just stayed in the port there

Have a great trip

Lyn

Lyn,

Thanks so much for getting back so quickly. I was hoping you would read my post.

I have sent an email to the taxi driver that you so kindly gave the link in your post. I am hoping that he will reply as a taxi sounds to me the best way to get around in that port.

Jennie

Homelover Lynn,

I posted these questions to you as well as Lyn and I am not sure if you saw them or not.

Here they are again:

Jennie

Lyn,

Thanks so much for getting back so quickly. I was hoping you would read my post.

I have sent an email to the taxi driver that you so kindly gave the link in your post. I am hoping that he will reply as a taxi sounds to me the best way to get around in that port.

Jennie

worked well with a group

There was a bus also but seemed to complicated if the times were not right

Enjoy the cruise ..take something warm for the north Cape it is COLD & Windy ;)

Lyn

Lyn,

Unfortunately, we are there on a Sunday and from what I have found on the timetable for 2012, the bus does not run on a Saturday or Sunday. Also, we seem to have the longest time in Honningsvag, from 9.00am to 8.00pm which seems a trifle long as there doesn't seem to be much to see!

Jennie

HAHA...now we have both Lyn and Lynn replying to you Jennie!!

I was on the Prinsendam in June, 2011... It is my favorite ship. I like the small, more intimate cruise ships.

As to the itinerary, I am afraid I cannot be more help than Lyn. The only other port in common with my itinerary is Bergen and Alesund. Bergen you know, and in Alesund, I have a very good friend who lives there, and he took me all over the place! We did stop to Gerainger and we had lunch at the hotel there. I cannot remember the name, but it overlooks the fjord, and is very nice, but expensive, as is all of Norway. We went past Gerainger and all the way to to the top of the fjord (5000ft)!!!! We stopped at many places along the way, but it took 11 hours all together and I am sure it is not a place for a stranger to drive!!!

I wish I could be of more help.

Lynn

Lyn,

Unfortunately, we are there on a Sunday and from what I have found on the timetable for 2012, the bus does not run on a Saturday or Sunday. Also, we seem to have the longest time in Honningsvag, from 9.00am to 8.00pm which seems a trifle long as there doesn't seem to be much to see!

Jennie

The town is there with a few shops but they open later on a Sunday ..if you can get the taxi to North Cape that would be good

We overnighted there so had time to hang out in town

A big gift shop right at the dock with Internet if you need that

It was nice just to walk about town

As the other Lynn said Norway is pricey

Enjoy

Lyn

Thanks to both Lyn and Lynn. I have found a website for North Cape and apparently they abolished the Toll for the North Cape tunnel in July, 2012.

This will be our 3rd visit to Norway so we know how expensive it is. Our first visit was in 1999 and we did get a huge shock at the price of food. Since then we have been back a couple of times but never to the top of Norway.

We too love the smaller ships. The Prinsendam is a favourite of ours having cruised on her a few times. This time we will be on the Ocean Princess which is another small ship, a sister to Oceania's Regatta and Nautica. The smaller ships have the best itineraries as they can go to places that the larger ships cannot get to.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

• 3 months later...

Ejoying this Post, plenty of Good information.Just wondering is it easy to use the local bus on the day ?

22 miles away seems so easy,but the price to get there varies alot depending on who you go with.

Also if your Ship is travelling up to The Cape,is there any need to do the road trip ?

Ejoying this Post, plenty of Good information.Just wondering is it easy to use the local bus on the day ?

22 miles away seems so easy,but the price to get there varies alot depending on who you go with.

Also if your Ship is travelling up to The Cape,is there any need to do the road trip ?

If you have lots of time & the bus schedule works for you

Remember a lot of people may opt for the bus as well

Does your ship dock at THE CAPE?

Not to bothered about the amout of people, just wondered if there's enough room on the local buses ?

I think the ship just passes through the area then returns Southwards.

Seems like the further north you get the easiest options are the Cruise Ship Excursions