Contract Finalized for two New Princess Ships (Merged Threads)

saratoga

Sounds like the Carnival Dream with a few modifications. Hope not, the Dream is nothing special, very crowded and not that much different from ships built 15 years ago.

Although I prefer Carnival and Princess to RCCL, you have to admit, RCCL's ships are full of the latest innovations.

Finally, it's official! Excited to see some plans.

Seems like they will be having the cove balconies on board, unless they are throwing in an additional deck or two, which is indeed possible with increased length and beam (But doubtful, IMO).

Like I predicted earlier, and cruisin36 stated, the promenade deck will be similar to that of the Dream.

While I would have predicted a promenade similar to that of the Solstice class, I imagine Carnival Corp will just mimic what they have done on the Dream, rather than what RCL/X have done.

The prediction about inside balconies in an expanded Piazza is great! Actually, I really like that idea. While I don't see full balconies, definitely some small verandas or French balconies. I think that would really add to the Piazza concept.

Well, hopefully they'll give us some info, plans, or at least a rendering soon! I wouldn't even mind a leaked rendering, like what occurred long ago with the black-and-white rendering of the Epic, which was doubted to be legitimate, but turned out to be, basically, the exact rendering that was officially released in color later on.

Finally, it's official! Excited to see some plans.

Seems like they will be having the cove balconies on board, unless they are throwing in an additional deck or two, which is indeed possible with increased length and beam (But doubtful, IMO).

Like I predicted earlier, and cruisin36 stated, the promenade deck will be similar to that of the Dream.

While I would have predicted a promenade similar to that of the Solstice class, I imagine Carnival Corp will just mimic what they have done on the Dream, rather than what RCL/X have done.

The prediction about inside balconies in an expanded Piazza is great! Actually, I really like that idea. While I don't see full balconies, definitely some small verandas or French balconies. I think that would really add to the Piazza concept.

Well, hopefully they'll give us some info, plans, or at least a rendering soon! I wouldn't even mind a leaked rendering, like what occurred long ago with the black-and-white rendering of the Epic, which was doubted to be legitimate, but turned out to be, basically, the exact rendering that was officially released in color later on.

Here ya go... I posted this on another thread, but, as was pointed out, the thread title made little sense, so here it is... :rolleyes: I took this picture in the lobby of one of Princess' HQ buildings. It is obviously an artist's rendition and I'm sure the actual ships will be slightly different. Let the frenzy begin! :D

4579588136_b51269465b_b.jpg

A couple of observations... no terraced balconies (yea!), minimal Promenade, where's the MUTS? (in the front?), where's Skywalkers?

I think MUTS is mid ship, its kind of hard to see. Why is everyone getting rid of the promenade deck. I liked them.I guess there will be no more Skywalkers.

RickEK, thanks for that picture!

Honestly, if that's the new builds, they're quite unimpressive. I think they look very similar to something Royal Caribbean would design for Princess (the hump), or a jumbo version of the Oceania Marina. All of what has become Princess trademarks, on the exterior, appear to be gone (Skywalkers, the bow shape, the funnel design, etc.) In fact, the funnel looks kind of similar to the funnels on MSC ships. It appears that there may be a pool aft of the funnel that has a magradome? My final conclusion would be that, from the artist's rendering, she appears similar to many other ships, but none of them Princess. Also, the artist put the seawitch logo backwards.

Overall, not bad. She looks like an evolution of the Coral rather than the Ruby. Love the new stern. I am surprised that the lifeboat configuration is not like the Dream's, but like the Solstice class and the new Disney ships. However, it looks like there may be a slight possibility that the promenade deck is still a wraparound. From the position of windows on the hull, it appears the dining rooms may still be separated by a galley. I don't think there will be too much of a redistribution of venues, but the same ones with new ones added in. Although I'm wondering if the hull windows are even accurate, considering there seem to be smaller portholes, which usually signify cabins. So, if this ship has no OV staterooms, I'm not entirely sure why the smaller portholes are even there.

Again, thanks for that picture!

RickEK, thanks for that picture!

Honestly, if that's the new builds, they're quite unimpressive. I think they look very similar to something Royal Caribbean would design for Princess (the hump), or a jumbo version of the Oceania Marina. All of what has become Princess trademarks, on the exterior, appear to be gone (Skywalkers, the bow shape, the funnel design, etc.) In fact, the funnel looks kind of similar to the funnels on MSC ships. It appears that there may be a pool aft of the funnel that has a magradome? My final conclusion would be that, from the artist's rendering, she appears similar to many other ships, but none of them Princess. Also, the artist put the seawitch logo backwards.

Overall, not bad. She looks like an evolution of the Coral rather than the Ruby. Love the new stern. I am surprised that the lifeboat configuration is not like the Dream's, but like the Solstice class and the new Disney ships. However, it looks like there may be a slight possibility that the promenade deck is still a wraparound. From the position of windows on the hull, it appears the dining rooms may still be separated by a galley. I don't think there will be too much of a redistribution of venues, but the same ones with new ones added in. Although I'm wondering if the hull windows are even accurate, considering there seem to be smaller portholes, which usually signify cabins. So, if this ship has no OV staterooms, I'm not entirely sure why the smaller portholes are even there.

Again, thanks for that picture!

No problem!...

I think that the smaller portholes probably denote crew areas... offices, etc. As you say, there also appears to be some sort of walkway aft and forward of the lifeboats. I am sad that they haven't included the bow Promenade area. That's one of my favorite places to be on the Grand-class vessels. All in all, I think it's an uncluttered design.

btw, the Sea Witch logo is correct... :)

It has been a long time that we have been excited about a (new) layout/deck plans. It just goes to show how many Grand class carbon copy ships there are and that we haven't had a new layout in what seems like many years.

Well i have a question why don't they build ship in the u.s.a.?

Simple, the cost. The workforce, materials, etc. would all be significantly higher. Depending on the level of expertise of the shipyard, the process may also take longer. While US shipyards do have some familiarity with modern cruise ships (refurbs), they have not fully constructed one. The closest thing is the partial US construction of NCL's Pride of America. The last major passenger ship built in the USA was the SS United States (1952).

Well i have a question why don't they build ship in the u.s.a.?

Simple, the cost. The workforce, materials, etc. would all be significantly higher. Depending on the level of expertise of the shipyard, the process may also take longer. While US shipyards do have some familiarity with modern cruise ships (refurbs), they have not fully constructed one. The closest thing is the partial US construction of NCL's Pride of America. The last major passenger ship built in the USA was the SS United States (1952).

True... the only US shipyards that could actually build cruise ships are busy building warships... the decline of US shipyards is a long, sad story. Here's an interesting link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipyard#Prominent_dockyards_and_shipyards

Archived