Contract Finalized for two New Princess Ships (Merged Threads)

saratoga

MIAMI, May 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Princess Cruises, a unit of Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK), today announced that contracts to build two 3,600-passenger ships have been finalized with Italy's Fincantieri shipyard.

The new ships – which each will have an all-in cost of approximately euro 155,000 per lower berth – are scheduled to enter service in spring 2013 and spring 2014. At an estimated 141,000 tons, the as-yet-unnamed ships will be the largest in the Princess Cruises fleet.

The ships' design will be evolutionary, in keeping with the themes of the line's newest vessels, but with some new features and innovations. For example, all outside cabins will feature balconies, bringing the percentage of balconies on the ships to 80 percent of all staterooms.

The company's signature Piazza – the ship's central atrium featuring dining, entertainment and retail – will be expanded, as will the popular Sanctuary, spa, and restaurants.

"We're pleased that in this challenging economic environment, the order for these new ships is a testament to the confidence in the growth potential of the Princess brand," said Alan Buckelew, president and CEO of Princess Cruises. "These new ships will include the features from our newest ships that have been so well received, and take them to the next level," he added.

Giuseppe Bono, chief executive officer of Fincantieri, said, "We are grateful to the Carnival Group for this further vote of confidence in Fincantieri. We are proud to have met the requirements of Princess Cruises, one of Carnival's most prestigious brands, with an innovative design both from a technical and architectural point of view."

Bono continued, "This is a highly important order for us, especially as it comes in a period of economic crisis. We succeeded in securing these orders with assistance and support of the Italian export credit companies, in particular SACE S.p.A."

Specific amenities and design elements for the new ships will be revealed over the coming months.

Not sure how I feel about all the outside cabins having balconies. I wonder if it will make the balconies more affordable, or if you'll be forced into an inside cabin if you prefer (or need) to cruise on more of a budget. DH and I like the OV cabins because they're more economical, but still provide a little natural light. It's the lack of natural light that prevents us from ever booking Inside cabins. But, if the price of the all-balcony outside cabins on these ships is in line with the higher priced balconies on the other ships, chances are we'll be avoiding any sailings on these new ships for a long time!

Don't get me wrong... I know this is only two ships. But if this signifies a trend for Princess ships in the future, and it isn't coupled with balconies that are more affordable, then I'm not sure if we'll keep picking Princess as our preffered line well into the future.

Not sure how I feel about all the outside cabins having balconies.

Family with young children may agree with you as they may not want the children to have access to a balcony until they are older and more responsible.

I'm sure they certainly hope that having more balconies will command a higher price. They are a business after all. But the market ultimately decides, as it always does, so we'll see what fares do for lower grade balconies. It will be interesting to see what the new ships look like and where they add over 500 more balconies compared to the CB design. Maybe they are looking at Cove balconies like the Dream and QM2 as well.

I think it's telling that there will be no OV cabins, which obviously means no obstructed OV cabins (behind lifeboats on Emerald deck currently). Might this mean the fears that people had about no outside promenade deck is coming true? Or might that Emerald deck turn into a public deck, with stores and office space in the areas where the obstructed windows were? I guess it also means the Window Suite concept they added to a few ships didn't really take-off.

Also noted in the Press Release is the tonnage has been bumped up a touch as well.

Not sure how I feel about all the outside cabins having balconies. I wonder if it will make the balconies more affordable, or if you'll be forced into an inside cabin if you prefer (or need) to cruise on more of a budget. DH and I like the OV cabins because they're more economical, but still provide a little natural light. It's the lack of natural light that prevents us from ever booking Inside cabins. But, if the price of the all-balcony outside cabins on these ships is in line with the higher priced balconies on the other ships, chances are we'll be avoiding any sailings on these new ships for a long time!

Don't get me wrong... I know this is only two ships. But if this signifies a trend for Princess ships in the future, and it isn't coupled with balconies that are more affordable, then I'm not sure if we'll keep picking Princess as our preffered line well into the future.

Personally, I think that this will allow them more control over the pricing (getting rid of the oceanview and obstructed oceanview categories). But, given that many cruises were selling with balconies being the same price as oceanviews for a promotion this year, I think that they will still be able to vary the prices enough (by floors, locations on ship) to accomodate different cruisers. 3 years to go :)

Hmm. So much for "prototypes" of some completely new design then. That's not what "evolutionary" says to me. :(
The original Royal Princess was the first cruise ship to be built with no inside cabins; only OV or balcony. Obviously, that design survived very well over the course of her long service with Princess. It'll be interesting to see the new design and how they manage only balcony cabins.

The original Royal Princess was the first cruise ship to be built with no inside cabins; only OV or balcony. Obviously, that design survived very well over the course of her long service with Princess. It'll be interesting to see the new design and how they manage only balcony cabins.
But (as I read it) 20% of cabins on these ships will still be insides. It is just that all outside cabins will have balconies.

But (as I read it) 20% of cabins on these ships will still be insides. It is just that all outside cabins will have balconies.
Right. I meant to add that. :) My reference to the Royal was that at the time, no inside cabins were a revolutionary concept. The point is that people will book the ship and likely be happy no matter what.

It's official: Princess Cruises' parent company Carnival Corp. finalized a contract to build two 3,600-passenger, 141,000-ton ships for the line, scheduled to debut in 2013 and 2014.

Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri will build the Princess' 18th and 19th ships, slated to be the largest in the line's fleet. The ships will cost about $558 million euros each, or $730 million at current exchange rates.

Princess will reveal details about the vessels in the coming months, but for now said that all oceanview cabins would have balconies (or 80% of their total cabins), and that the ships would have expanded versions of signature Princess features like the Piazza central atrium area and the adults-only quiet area, Sanctuary.

The delivery of the first vessel will end a five-year new ship drought for Princess, which for several years was among the fastest-growing cruise lines. In 2004 alone, Princess took delivery of three vessels in a 90-day period; the Caribbean Princess, Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess.

The line's last new vessel was the 3,080-passenger Ruby Princess, delivered in late 2008.

The new ships will be about 20% bigger than the line's largest vessels, which range from 109,000 to 116,000 tons.

My reference to the Royal was that at the time, no inside cabins were a revolutionary concept. The point is that people will book the ship and likely be happy no matter what.
I'm sure they will - the current design obviously makes a lot of people happy, hence its frequent repetition.

But the hints that were being dropped about something completely new have all been swept away by the one word "evolutionary" - the very antithesis of "revolutionary".

Presumably there will be no outside cabins on Plaza, or if there are passengers could end up getting very wet on the balconies!

So what speculation do we have for this deck?

I am assuming that Emerald deck will look very similar to Entertainment deck on X's Solstice class, with low slung lifeboats and a very claustrophobic promenade area.

Or, does it mean that with the "expanded Atrium" that there will be inside cabins with balconies a la Oasis?
That's an interesting thought, but at 141,000 GT (just a little bit bigger than Voyager of the Seas) it's hard to imagine them being wide enough to do that.

Fromk what we were told by Capt Tony Yeomans in March the ship will be wider and longer than the current Super Grand ships. There will be NO promenade walk as there currently exist. The lifeboats will hang outside the ship which bwill make for a less complex and less costly lowering mechanism. It will hold approx 3600 passengers.

I reported this about a month ago and it was disputed and challenged by many.The Capt did say that at the time he saw the plans that they had not been finalized.

Or, does it mean that with the "expanded Atrium" that there will be inside cabins with balconies a la Oasis?

That would be awesome. I'd rather cruise with Princess. :cool:

Archived