Contract Finalized for two New Princess Ships (Merged Threads)

saratoga

I would like to them to abandon the Grand class interior design, add more restaurants (please not sabitinis on another ship), and while unlikely - modify the cabin design a tad.

Does someone know for sure that the rendering on the easel in their lobby is actually the new ship?

No, one we have not been told absolutely that this will be what the new ship looks like. But normally companies that are about to announce a new project and have an artist conception sitting in the lobby of their corporate office are trying to show off the new project.

Yes, I do. Thank you very much. I was not questioning your posts. Another poster was challenging the info I received from Capt Yeomans in March. BTW - he also told is on March that they would be being built by Fincantieri.

Who would have thought that Fincantieri would build the new ships? What a great price of insider info that was. It's not like that have built anything for Princess or Carnival Corp before, right? LOL

Well, you might not find too much difference between the Grand and the Sapphire. True, the Sapphire is slightly larger and her layout is a bit different, especially in the aft decks, but they are pretty comparable. But she is nowhere near the Mariner OTS' size.

The new class of ships will be slightly larger than the Voyager-class ships but will apparently carry 200 less passengers (hopefully the 3,600 passenger capacity quoted in the Princess press releases are max capacity!).

If they say 1800 cabins, that leads me to think 3600 double occupancy. Max is probably closer to 4200 or so. Aren't the Voyager in the 3200 d/o range?

Yes, I do. Thank you very much. I was not questioning your posts. Another poster was challenging the info I received from Capt Yeomans in March. BTW - he also told is on March that they would be being built by Fincantieri.

Actually this same info was out in June of last year and not really new.

There are going to be more pax on this ship with double occupancy that the RCI Voyager Class. 3600 vs 3114 pax respectively.

Whether or not they feel crowded will really be dependent the number of extra passengers above double occupancy, the weather good or bad and how well laid out the public spaces are. Hopefully Princess is learning from other cruiselines and from their current fleet.

Does someone know for sure that the rendering on the easel in their lobby is actually the new ship?

No, one we have not been told absolutely that this will be what the new ship looks like. But normally companies that are about to announce a new project and have an artist conception sitting in the lobby of their corporate office are trying to show off the new project.

If they say 1800 cabins, that leads me to think 3600 double occupancy. Max is probably closer to 4200 or so. Aren't the Voyager in the 3200 d/o range?

I'd agree with Dan. Since the picture was taken in Princess' HQ lobby, I'd certainly hope it was fairly accurate. It was for the benefit of their employees and anyone else who might be traversing their lobbies. Artist's conceptions are just that... conceptions. The ship won't look exactly like the drawing, but it will be fairly close.

There are going to be more pax on this ship with double occupancy that the RCI Voyager Class. 3600 vs 3114 pax respectively.

Whether or not they feel crowded will really be dependent the number of extra passengers above double occupancy, the weather good or bad and how well laid out the public spaces are. Hopefully Princess is learning from other cruiselines and from their current fleet.

Well, Fincantieri's press release says that there will be 3,600 passengers max!

http://www.fincantieri.it/cms/data/browse/news/000366.aspx

Voyager class is 3,800 passengers max.

http://www.voyager-class.com/design/facts/facts.html

I have always thought Princess has done a fabulous job keeping their ships' Pax Ratio quite high and designing the interior so it doesn't feel crowded, even if it is... I wouldn't expect much else from them.

I don't - the newer class of ships doesn't do a great job in cooler climate cruises as far as crowding problems.

You're right. I went back and looked, and they don't say anything in either May or Feb press releases about 1800 cabins, just 3600 passengers. The 4 Riviera deck ships carry 3100-ish in double occupancy, and upwards of 3600 max, so these ships might just be similar loads in d/o.

You're right. I went back and looked, and they don't say anything in either May or Feb press releases about 1800 cabins, just 3600 passengers. The 4 Riviera deck ships carry 3100-ish in double occupancy, and upwards of 3600 max, so these ships might just be similar loads in d/o.

Let's hope! :)

The award winning suites from 700-5000 sq ft. They have their own pool, gym, restaurants, bars, and all suites of the ship will share them, which I think is a mistake. The smaller suites grouped with the balconies should not be part of their heaven that they paid $36K for not $4K.

It's absolutely nothing like the Epic and it's big head. Definitely looks like the S class of Celebrity which is just fine by us.

I'd agree with Dan. Since the picture was taken in Princess' HQ lobby, I'd certainly hope it was fairly accurate. It was for the benefit of their employees and anyone else who might be traversing their lobbies. Artist's conceptions are just that... conceptions. The ship won't look exactly like the drawing, but it will be fairly close.

That would be great if that was correct. But would make these ships carry about the same number of passengers as the Ruby/Crown and Emerald. I would be surprised (very pleasantly) if that were correct. That would give these new ships a great pax ratio. I wonder if that means 3100 pax on these ships? If that is the case then the ratio would be 45.5, which would be absolutely a move in the right direction for Princess. These ships could then command a bit of a premium over their other ships in their fleet.

I'm no longer very sure of what Fincantieri means when they say maximum passenger capacity. In the new release for the P&O Azura, they mention a max passenger capacity of 4300 (3100 passengers and 1200 crew). That ship is essentially the same as the Ruby which has a double capacity of 3100. I'm thinking that they do mean double occupancy of 3600 for the new ships and not actually true max capacity.

http://www.fincantieri.it/cms/data/browse/news/000354.aspx

Uh-- excuse me but Capt Yeomans in March stated it would be 3600 pax as compared to the Ruby of 3100 +/-. Now the question is - what is the max capacity of the Ruby?? Once we know that we can interpolate to find the max capacity of the new ships.

Anyone know??

I'm no longer very sure of what Fincantieri means when they say maximum passenger capacity. In the new release for the P&O Azura, they mention a max passenger capacity of 4300 (3100 passengers and 1200 crew). That ship is essentially the same as the Ruby which has a double capacity of 3100. I'm thinking that they do mean double occupancy of 3600 for the new ships and not actually true max capacity.

http://www.fincantieri.it/cms/data/browse/news/000354.aspx

I'm sorta confused.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

When I was on the Crown last April, they said that there were 3,600 passengers on board. I am pretty sure that capacity is around 3,100. So, if the new ships are bigger and their stated capacities are 3,600 people, they will probably hold well over 4,000 people.

When I was on the Crown last April, they said that there were 3,600 passengers on board. I am pretty sure that capacity is around 3,100. So, if the new ships are bigger and their stated capacities are 3,600 people, they will probably hold well over 4,000 people.

This is correct.

The new Princess ships will have a lower berth passenger capacity of 3600. When you add in the 3rd/4th berths you a probably looking at a total passenger capacity of over 4000. My guess is the crew will total around 1400, so you are looking at the total capacity of approx. 5400, including all passenger and crew berths filled.

Ernie

This is correct.

The new Princess ships will have a lower berth passenger capacity of 3600. When you add in the 3rd/4th berths you a probably looking at a total passenger capacity of over 4000. My guess is the crew will total around 1400, so you are looking at the total capacity of approx. 5400, including all passenger and crew berths filled.

Ernie

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I did some checking and my source says that the maximum passenger capacity of the new ships IS 3,600. Sounds like they'll be uncrowded. :)

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I did some checking and my source says that the maximum passenger capacity of the new ships IS 3,600. Sounds like they'll be uncrowded. :)

Which is similar to what we were told last June on the Golden. ;)

I REALLY hope you're correct, it would mean that Princess is moving in the opposite direction from how it has been lately. I would hazard a guess that would mean that the lower berth capacity would be around the same as the Ruby Princess then, 3100 give or take. That would give a ratio of 45.5 which would be more in line with the Coral and Diamond Princess ships.:D

I do not have any special source, but I think the announced capacity is based on 2 passengers/cabin.

I REALLY hope you're correct, it would mean that Princess is moving in the opposite direction from how it has been lately. I would hazard a guess that would mean that the lower berth capacity would be around the same as the Ruby Princess then, 3100 give or take. That would give a ratio of 45.5 which would be more in line with the Coral and Diamond Princess ships.:D

So do I... :)

I do not have any special source, but I think the announced capacity is based on 2 passengers/cabin.

Well, I specifically asked my source about the maximum passenger capacity of the new ships vs. the lower berth capacity. They confirmed (after talking to someone much closer to the new build team) that the max passenger capacity is 3,600 as reported by Fincantieri. I guess it could be disinformation, but to what end?

Archived