Share memories of your worst cabin?

Galer99

I enjoyed looking at all the postings about opinions of best cabins, but couldn't help remembering our 'worst' cabin. Atlantic142 on the SS Norway. It was booked for our first transatlantic in Aug, '99 for myself, my husband and our 14-year-old daughter. We knew it was an inside cabin low in the ship but we were fairly new to traveling by ship and happy just to be on the ship.

When we arrived at the cabin, it was small. No, I mean small. A small double bed with the pullman bed in the wall directly over the bed. The person sleeping in the bed below the pullman couldn't even sit upright in bed, the pullman was so low. There was only a small bedside table with drawers and three what happeared to be gym-like lockers for hanging clothes. And when we started to unpack, we had to move our suitcases into the hall to open them. There was no seating in the room. One person had to go into the bathroom for the other two to walk around. We got the giggles, bigtime. The people around us thought we were crazy, but my gosh did we have a great time trying just to move around without walking over each other.

Atlantic142 has become the standard by which all other cabins are measured -- i.e., "this cabin is about three Atlantic142s". Although it's certainly the 'worst' we've ever had, it contributed so much to our family lore.

Later in the day I waited in line and talked to a hotel staff member and we upgraded to a much bigger (about 2-1/2 Atlantic142s) cabin on the International deck and trecked through the ship with our baggage in tow. But that silly little cabin remains our families 'worst' and 'favorite' all in one.

Gale and George

Oregon

We had an outside cabin on the previous incarnation of the HAL Westerdam. The cabin was on a low deck right near the bow of the ship. When the ship was at sea you would hear the ocean continually smashing in to the hull. Very annoying and a little scary at times.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

On a three day Nassau escape aboard the hard used Carnival Fantasy, my then 5 year old son was laying on the floor playing, when he bolted upright and exclaimed, "OOOH!! This carpeting smells like PEE!" icon_eek.gif I couldn't help but wince and chuckle at the same time. That statement pretty much summed up the ship!

My 9 year old daughter, having surveyed the ship and pax, when passing the ship's "library" commented, "I don't think many passengers on this ship use it."

From the mouths of babes... icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, how about the Dolphin Line (1990) the Dolphin IV, inside. The bathroom (if you call it that) had a toilet, round "tube" shower and sink. You could sit, shower and brush your teeth at the same time. No kidding. 2 cots for beds and NO PLACE FOR LUGGAGE. It was our 1st cruise and we thought it was great. The food was outstanding and the crew terrific. Just the ship - we graduated to the Zenith in 1992 and have never looked back.

Dolphin - 1990

Horizon - 1994, 1995, 1995

Century - 1997, 2000, 2001

Galaxy - 1998

Zenith - 1992, 1999, 2002

Millennium - 2003

Summit 2004

Summit 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2005;3;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Countdown to Summit 2005

This one is easy! Our first cruise was in 1982 on the Sun Viking of Royal Caribbean. We were on "B" deck (the lowest) and last cabin aft. The sound from the engines was deafining and the vibrations extreme. As I said, this was our first cruise and we thought we were in heaven We have been on 24 more cruises since then but we will never forget Sun Viking.

Our worse room was on the then new NCL Star in Hawaii. Had a nice room up high with balcony, but under the buffet area. Instead of carpeting they had tile floors and out room was right under the main traffic area. All day and night you heard shoes clomping, high heels clicking, food carts bumping, dishes dropping etc. At times we thought it was a thunder storm, and all of the people around us said the same thing. We paid extra for that!! thank God for ear plugs.

Danno recommended this cabin to me, I'll never forgive him!

lhbedsm

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Our worst cabin(in fact whole cruise) was on the now defunct "Regal Empress",,talk about a nightmare,,,worse cruise we ever took, ship was filthy and smelly...DH and I were never so happy to get off a ship....We now only sail on X, know what the product is and very happy with it....

Carnival's Carnavale many, many years ago. Inside cabin, shower you could barely fit in and a bed you couldn't lay straight in (too short). I have never tried Carnival again. Ofcourse I forgot to mention it only cost $160. I'm now a balcony lover and go mainly on Celebrity and Holland.

On my first cruise on the,"Carnivale." It was a cabin for a single, and it was inside and about the size of a walk in closet. Very claustrophobic! Still had a great time, though!

Sandy Beach... maybe we were on the same cruise! icon_biggrin.gif

Shari

Carnivale--4/79

Cunard Princess--4/84

Norway--1/86

Holiday--4/87

Zenith--Inaugural-4/92

Constitution--2/93

Infinity--1/19/03

[This message was edited by Shari2 on 04-17-04 at 01:30 PM.]

We had a cabin on the Century that was obviously under repair. Something was seriously wrong with the ceiling. It was bent and warped and banged-up. Whenever the ship moved, the ceiling loudly scraped and squealed. Now, when does the ship move? Usually when you are trying to sleep. We had 2 sleepless nights before Celebrity moved us to a new cabin. They handled it so well, it has not hindered our enthusiasm for cruising or for Celebrity.

I can't say we have had a "worst" cabin. We had booked an inside cabin and didn't care for an inside. Hubbie & I felt closed in. After that we will only book outside cabins with balconies.

Pammie

Sandy...I sailed on the Carnivale in 1992. My parents took our family on a 3 night cruise for their 50th anniversary. I was the only person without a mate...(some things don't change icon_wink.gif). My sister and bro-in-law asked me to swap cabins....I got the smallest icon_eek.gif

The cruise was more memorable for the occasion than the ship..and she is no longer in service.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

We sailed on the Carnivale years ago and really enjoyed it. We had a large outside cabin and the bathroom actually had a bathtub. I thought that was the most wonderful thing! My worst cabin and cruise, and it wasn't all that bad, was my first cruise on NCL. We had a tiny cabin with a porthole and bunk beds, gosh that thing was small. We couldn't pass each other going to the even smaller bathroom, one of us had to wait until the other came out and sat on the bed before the other could go, maybe that's why I was so happy with the Carnivale, that was my 2nd cruise.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Inspiration - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess 3/05

Had a tiny inside cabin on the Golden Princess. It had the smallest shower I've ever seen in my whole life, and the bathroom smelled strongly of stale urine (someone else's) the whole week. icon_redface.gifIcky. icon_redface.gif Doesn't say much for our cabin attendant!

Galer99 We also had a cabin on Atlantic deck on the Norway. My daughter had the bunk above our bed. I tend to agree with your assessment. There were pennies wedged in between the vent in the ceiling to stop vibration. The waves were hitting us pretty bad one night. When my daughter awoke the next day she asked if there had been an earthquake the night before. We still laugh about that cabin.

Many years ago we sailed out of Miami on the Majesty Of The Seas, Very windy and seas running high. We were in a forward cabin somewhere near the anchor chain locker. Never slept a wink that night. With every big wave there was a thunderous Bang of the chain moving in the locker. Only lasted one night and the cabin was peaceful after that.

On the S/S Norway back in the mid-1980's I shared an inside upper/lower with a friend. I wanted an outside cabin but she was extremely cheap, so I gave in. Big mistake. Talk about a broom closet! Needless to say, I made her take the top bunk.

usha,

You were on the ship that I think was one of the former Royal Viking ships! Not sure if it was the same one, but certainly could have been one of the sisters of NCL's Sunward II. I had booked a quad (there were 3 of us.) yet they screwed up royally and tried to give us a double! A DOWNGRADE!!!! The room was inside (I paid for an outside!)and there would have no way the three of us could have slept there. As Royal Viking was a 5 star+ cruiseline, made you wonder about how much those passengers paid for that closet! BTW,they did upgrade us to an outside cabin after my husband squawked before the ship left the pier!

Anita

And now Infinity 2005!

Millennium 2003

Century 2002

Summit 2001

Century 2000

Zenith 1996

Horizon 1994

Horizon 1993

Sunward 1992

Star Princess 1990

Maxim Gorky 1974 & 1975

• 6 months later...

Well in a way this was the worst cabin---but it had some good features. In 1992, a group of us booked a Bahamas trip on the now-defunct Premier line [at the time RCCI's budget line]. We were on a older ship the Emerald Seas. When we got to our cabin in what seemed like the second sub-basement, it was huge. There were 2 twin beds, a closet and maybe a nightstand, and all of this empty floor space! The bathroom was large too. But in the middle of the cabin floor there were pipes coming out of the floor! We had to constantly be careful not to break toes walking in there! Our thought was that this muct have been a quad or perhaps staff quarters in the ship's former and grander life!

We've sailed on the Norway twice in those tiny A deck cabins (same as 142). While they might be the smallest we have ever experienced, I wouldn't call them any worse than the aft baclony suite we had on our last cruise on the Brilliance. Sure the furnishings were not as luxurious, but the beds were more comfortable than we've had on many other cruises, and our stateroom attendants did their jobs very well. We've sailed in inside, outside, balcony and suites, not a worst one in the bunch. :)

Okay, how about the Dolphin Line (1990) the Dolphin IV, inside. The bathroom (if you call it that) had a toilet, round "tube" shower and sink. You could sit, shower and brush your teeth at the same time. No kidding. 2 cots for beds and NO PLACE FOR LUGGAGE. It was our 1st cruise and we thought it was great. The food was outstanding and the crew terrific. Just the ship - we graduated to the Zenith in 1992 and have never looked back.

We went on the Dolphin around 1980 for our senior trip in high school. When we went, you had to limit the amount of people in your room do to the poor a/c. If it were just you and your room mate you were ok...for three or four hrs. Add a few more, and you were hot in 20. Then you would have to leave the room so it could cool down. We still had a ball!

Lynn,

I am with you on Premier. I think I danced when they went under (no pun intended).

I took my two young sons (5 & 7) on the four day "Disney" cruise. We had an inside cabin on the entertainment deck. We did not hear any of the expected noise with the door closed however, the first two nights we did not have any airconditioning. I called the pursers desk and was told someone would come fix it. No one came. I finaly caught my cabin steward and he said the thing had been broken for a while and he had been reporting it too. So, being the boyscout Mom I was, I just used a peice of luggage to wedge the door open thus allowing the air from the hall to cool us. They did come and fix it after the second day but... then it would not shut off. We were freezing so... out comes my suit case one more time.

We had an Italian waiter and a French second waiter who argued in french and itialian all the time, to the extent they would slam things down on the table and then speak to us in english with a calm voice. It scared us. At times we thought they would come to blows. I thought I was in an I Love Lucy episode. To top off this nightmare one night we sat down for dinner and the adults food came out and the childrens did not. (they had an adult menu and kitchen and a childrens menu and kitchen.) So we waited. Finally the childrens food came out about an hour after the adults had been served leaving the adults meals stone cold and the children full of bread. I then noticed smoke coming from the childrens kitchen! Yes the kitchen had caught on fire! I believe they thought we wouldn't notice the wait or the smoke. I am sure our waiter thought his assistant did it (hee hee just kidding.)

This was right after my divorce, it was our first cruise, and my children were so happy to see Mickey, Goofy and Gilligan's Island and as long as we were together we could take on anything even Premier. This was one time that proved mind over matter, we had been through so much and I was determined to show my boys a great time and I did! They are both in college now and when the subject come up they still smile.

To answer all of the "why didn't you's", I did, I told my cabin steward, the matri'd, the front desk, filled out the exiting form with them and even wrote a letter after we got home, all went unanswered.

Now I am a spoiled X cruiser and loyal to Celebrity.

Archived