Fitness Center Questions

mike10546

I like to work out for 45 - 50 minutes on the aerobic exercise machines such as elipticals, stationary bikes, and treadmills. Is there a time limit on these machines?

Is there generally a waiting list to get onto the machines in the mornings?

Also, is there an extra charge for using the machines?

On the treadmills there is a sign that says to only stay on 30min (when people are waiting). I think that is usually the way it goes.

It really depends on the particular sailing you are on whether or not there are going to be a lot of lines. One time on the Star, I could never get in without a wait so often went out on deck. Another time I had no trouble at all. Mornings seem to be busiest. Some of the staff told me to come around noon - that was a quieter time usually.

No extra charge except for classes like yoga, etc.

They had the bikes roped off and only used them for spin classes on our last Princess cruise. I'm not sure why. Our tablemates reported that they did not have to wait most days for the ellipticals and treadmills.

No charge to use the cardio machines and it depends on the time of day and the passenger load as to how busy they are.... The Christmas cruise was horrendusly busy. An older crowd should lead to less demand for cardio machines, but you never can tell. Mornings are usually the worst...

Spin bikes are off limits, unfortunately, unless you're taking a class... As an avid spinner, this drives me nuts... I'd be happy to use a spin bike and free up and elliptical for someone else but Princess, and most other lines, won't let you do it.... I was told it was for insurance reasons in case someone got hurt, but I doubt that's the real reason, or else the entire gym would be closed all the time....

Spin bikes are off limits, unfortunately, unless you're taking a class... As an avid spinner, this drives me nuts... I'd be happy to use a spin bike and free up and elliptical for someone else but Princess, and most other lines, won't let you do it.... I was told it was for insurance reasons in case someone got hurt, but I doubt that's the real reason, or else the entire gym would be closed all the time....

On the Crown last month, I tried one of the Reebok spinning bikes they had one morning, and it was awful. It felt like it was about to fall apart, and very uncomfortable. I tried another one, and the same result. I take spinning classes at my local fitness center which has Star Trac machines, much better.

Mike

I don't even bother with cruise spin classes. Most of the bikes don't have clips and I hate spinning in sneakers, plus the music is usually pretty poor and the classes are pitched at beginner level (as they need to be...). After 10 years of spinning I know what I like and I just wait till I get home. I do wish I could get on a spin bike with my iPod and do my own thing, but they never allow that...

I don't even bother with cruise spin classes. Most of the bikes don't have clips and I hate spinning in sneakers, plus the music is usually pretty poor and the classes are pitched at beginner level (as they need to be...). After 10 years of spinning I know what I like and I just wait till I get home. I do wish I could get on a spin bike with my iPod and do my own thing, but they never allow that...

I had no problem getting on one on the Crown on my last two cruises, but like I said in my previous post, I really hated the Reebok bikes..... They are all sitting in a row, but I just pulled one out and got on it.

Mike

I had no problem getting on one on the Crown on my last two cruises, but like I said in my previous post, I really hated the Reebok bikes..... They are all sitting in a row, but I just pulled one out and got on it.

Mike

I'm amazed they let you. I've never seen anyone get away with it before being told the bikes were off limits... I saw a woman on my last cruise on a bike, and went to ask her if she'd been given the okay because I'd like to do the same thing. She told me the only way they let her do it was because she had paid for a personal training session ($80) for an hour and that paved the way for her to use the spin bike by herself. She was training for a marathon and said she needed 2 hours a day training at least so wouldn't cruise unless she could keep her training up. I didn't care for that. I use the ellipticals on the ship and save my spinning for when I get home. I like to have my gel seat, a decent bike spin shoes and some loud rock music to spin to, and you just can't get it on a ship.

i'm amused about the spin bike conversation because i'm an avid spinner too!

i was SO disappointed with the equipment on the Carib Princess. I didn't expect top of the line bikes or anything, but the ones they had were so poor I thought I was risking injury using them.

They weren't a recognizable name brand, not startrac, or reebok or anything - they were a taiwanese brand (which didn't matter to me, until i started using them and realized they were inferior)

First, they have no water bottle holders anywhere on the bike

second, they were rusted out in various places

third, the resistance knob really only had two settings - "zero" resistance and "Can't push the pedals" - there was no inbetween and the bikes sorely needed some kind of adjustments.

The instructor seemed more interested in singing along to the techno music than actually instructing us - this would have been ok if i hadn't paid extra to participate in the class. I was counting down the minutes until it was over. The terrible bikes were hurting my knees (and as a marathon runner, really, I have a pretty high tolerance for pain I think ;))

anyway, i'd skip it if i had the opportunity again.

I'm a gym user and have seen the spin bikes stored in one section of the gym. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "spinning"? It's obviously more involved than using an exercise bike.

Thanks.

It's basically indoor cycling, on specialized bikes, led by an instructor through a series of exercises designed to give you a great cardio workout. You simulate being out on the open road, in an indoor setting. The bikes are completely different than the average exercise bike and are not electronic. You control the resistance with a tension knob and you can customize the seat height and position, plus the handlebars too. Classes typically involve multiple positions, including standing (Go to Second!), leaning over the handles bars with your hips back over the saddle (Take it to Third!) and sitting (have a seat!) You control the tension on the bike to simulate hill climbs, sprints etc. Most people who become hooked on it buy bike shoes with clips to attach to the pedals because they have a rigid base to them and really help with your strokes and ability to put all your power into the moves.

It's really fun but it depends on the instructor and the music. Mine sets her routines to the music she uses and she's partial to a lot of rock and alternative music, so it's an absolutely brilliant class and packed out every time.

Probably far more information than you were looking for...

A spin bike is completely different than using a regular old exercise bike. It does not use the resistance the same. It has a fly wheel to make it a similar workout to riding a real bike. You are able to turn the resistance knob to increase the difficulty instead of the traditional "levels" on a regualr bike. I feel spinning is a much better workout. But it's all up to the person.

• 1 month later...

Anyone been on the Coral Princess recently and know about their spinning bikes?

I'm cruising with my family in late July/early August and this is at the height of my training for race season. I'm hoping they've got decent bikes so I can at least get in some hard workouts on the bike, even if I can't get in a lot of volume.

Are the bikes set up for clipless pedals so I can bring my spinning shoes?

What type of spinning bikes do they have?

On most of my Princess cruises there has been an initial rush when the gym opens around 7am, with people often waiting for a machine to become free, but by 8am there are usually free machines

Archived