Can a family of four fit in a balcony room with a crib?

Mass2Cruise

We are looking to book our first cruise with our two kids. Our previous cruises were just the wife and I so we had no problem fitting in a balcony room. We are looking to book a balcony room for our next cruise on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas. This time around we will be bringing a 13 year old and a 15 month old. Obviously the 15 month old will need to sleep in a crib or pack and play. With that being said, is there anyway to fit this in a four person balcony room or do we have to pay for the Junior Suite instead? If it fits in a balcony, how can the room be arranged to fit the pack and play with the queen bed and the pull out couch? Thanks.

I can be done, but it will sure be a tight fit....They do have rooms with pullman beds, that drop down over the main bed, so it won't take up any floor space...the P&P, tho, will make moving about very tight! I would do a pullman over a sleepsofa...just for the floor space!

We did this on Eurodam. You have to book a quad, so most likely there will be a pullman. Ours had a single sofa bed and a pullman. My daughter was only 4, so she slept on the mini couch and we put the crib in front of the couch by the balcony door. There was no space to hang out except for our bed, hard to get in and out of the door, but we were ok. It was tight. With a 13 year old I would try to get the jr suite if its in your budget.

We had a balcony room on the Explorer of the Seas in 2006 when our daughter was almost 9 and our oldest son was about 15 months. I honestly can't remember how we had everything arranged, but I remember we fit just fine. At the time, I was still nursing, so we may have just had him sleep in bed with us, but I know we had a pack&play set up in there and it was fine.

We had an oceanview on the Carnival Liberty when our daughter was 11, our oldest son was 3, and our youngest son was 14 months, and we had plenty of room them, too. Daughter slept on the pull-down bed, middle child slept on sleeper sofa, and youngest slept in the portable crib.

It's tight, but definitely doable.

Won't they have to book a quad cabin anyway, even if they plan to use the P&P instead of one of the beds? EM

Yes, but some quad cabins have a sleeper sofa that fits two. They really need a quad with a pullman.

Agree that a quad w/ pullman would work better. We have had 2 cribs in a single cabin and space was fine. However we do prefer to have a pack n play vs a metal crib when space is tight. This way we can collapse the pack n play to gain space during the day. THe metal cribs were more of a challenge w/ space for us. Had metal cribs on carnival. PNP or HAL and Princess -- can't recall and also not sure if it varies ship to ship

thanks for all the replies. i'll have to check into the pullman balcony rooms. i don't remember seeing any on the map. for the week we are looking at, its only 400 more total for the js. may just spring for it as this will probably be the only time we will cruise with the pack and play.

First of all, any cruise line you go on will be a tight squeeze in a 4 person room. However, it is doable and if you can get the junior suite it's much bigger. I had a 12 month old a four year old, my husband and I and the crib fit, and my four year old slept on the couch. It was tight but doable. I don't think you have to get a bigger room but it's about your comfort style. If you are not a claustrophobic then you'll be fine.

Archived