Celebrity Summit Bed Bugs

Rea

Just sailed on the Summit in April 2014 - embarked on Saturday and had a fitful sleep thinking I was sweating. Woke up to bedbug infestation! Celebrity has been pitiful in its response.

What cabin? ...and did you by chance stay in NY the night before the cruise?

Was on Summit in May and did not meet any bedbugs:eek:

Hubby travels a lot so we always check for bedbugs where we stay.

It's not just hotels and cruise ships but airlines have had issues also. And head lice:eek::eek: don't use the blankets or pillows!!!

Sleep well all:D

A public library in Warren Mi was infested with bed bugs. They brought in bed bug sniffing dogs after the place was fumigated. The part that I found to be interesting was that they said that they will no longer accept donated books.

That doesn't make any sense at all. What would make that any different that the books that people take home and then bring back? Plus I never knew that books would be a source for bedbugs. I have heard about book worms but not books with bed bugs.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

They also ride the trains in NYC. And, yes, they read, here too.......I've stopped borrowing from the library even though it was years ago because I like to read in bed and the little blighters would only have to jump from the book to the bed. Presto, they have a place to live, food too!:D

That makes no sense about not accepting donated books. Surely they realize borrowed books are treated the same way.

Bed Bugs tend to jump from beds to people to another bed. Did these people sleep in more than one bed during the cruise? The infestations mentioned on another website (note that the Summit was not mentioned) usually involved two or three people. In all liklihood the passengers (or a prior passenger) brought the bugs onboard. There would be no way for a cabin steward to know this, unless he was told about it.

Many cruisers sleep in hotels the night before a cruise. Why blame Celebrity for a single event?

That is not how bed bugs spread. Bed bugs don't jump. The problem is the eggs are sticky, and they stick to people. The people move around the ship, and they spread. More than likely, they arrive in luggage, and that is all she wrote. the cabin steward cleans a room, they stick to him/her, and they are now in the next room. You can kill live bed bugs with rubbing Alcohol, but it won't have any affect on the eggs. To kill the eggs, you either have to super heat the infested items... (if it can go in a dryer, then put it in on HIGH heat), or you can freeze items. (ziplock bag in a freezer for a week or so)

To eradicate them from rooms, pest control companies who specialize in bed bugs, will come in with room heaters, and super heat the room, and everything in it. Then as a rule, they should do every room that touches the infested room. above, below, and all sides.

We always take rubbing alcohol with us. My husband is allergic to bed bugs. (Most people aren't) So at least we will know immediately if there is a problem. :eek: And yes, we own a pest control company. :D

The Summit was refurbished in the spring of 2012, just before we sailed her in June of that year. Never had a problem with bedbugs.

Took the same trip, the same week, the same RS again in 2013....no bedbug problem then either.

Infested is a very strong word. I would think that if there was a problem with this there would be dozens of threads and posts on CC talking about it. I'll tend to believe that your information is more rumor then truth.

I agree, this thread is from 2010.

The Summit was refurbished in the spring of 2012, just before we sailed her in June of that year. Never had a problem with bedbugs.

Took the same trip, the same week, the same RS again in 2013....no bedbug problem then either.

Infested is a very strong word. I would think that if there was a problem with this there would be dozens of threads and posts on CC talking about it. I'll tend to believe that your information is more rumor then truth.

Just sailed on the Summit in April 2014 - embarked on Saturday and had a fitful sleep thinking I was sweating. Woke up to bedbug infestation! Celebrity has been pitiful in its response.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Interesting first post.

May I ask which cabin you were in on the Summit?

Do you read Cruise Bruise? After reading about the bed bugs I googled them. Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the sea had a big infestation. Many NCl ships also had them.

rea

Been on JOTS and many NCL ships with no problems. We own a beach condo that rents out and it is a constant worry that someone with carry them in during rental. The mattresses are encased in plastic to avoid infestation. Management has a protocol to treat them and I'm sure the ships do, too. As a poster above says, even a luxury hotel can get them.

I am always checking around the mattress everywhere I go. The chemicals that used to control them have been banned.

A public library in Warren Mi was infested with bed bugs. They brought in bed bug sniffing dogs after the place was fumigated. The part that I found to be interesting was that they said that they will no longer accept donated books.

That doesn't make any sense at all. What would make that any different that the books that people take home and then bring back? Plus I never knew that books would be a source for bedbugs. I have heard about book worms but not books with bed bugs.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Now that is interesting. Never heard of that type of transmission. My Friends of the Library group sometimes receives boxes of books that have been in moldy, dirty places. These have to be discarded rather than put in the book sale. I agree there is no difference in circulated books and individual donated books. The bugs would not live where no blood is available so I think our dirty attic/garage books would not have them.

I'm thinking the bugs came in with the people, books not so much.

And it took you two months to come back to report it? And you didn't create a new past, rather you revived a 4 year old thread.

I think the mods should pull this post right now!!!!!

I sailed in April on the repo with over 200 friends, and a huge roll call and not one person even spoke of an issue.

I find this post incredible.

And it took you two months to come back to report it? And you didn't create a new past, rather you revived a 4 year old thread.

I think the mods should pull this post right now!!!!!

I sailed in April on the repo with over 200 friends, and a huge roll call and not one person even spoke of an issue.

I find this post incredible.

I just joined Cruise Critic this past week at the suggestion of my travel agent. I posted a critique of Celebrity for its handling of the matter over the past 6 weeks. Bedbugs are not the issue, but the response of Celebrity. That post - my first - has not been published.

I received an email with no less than nine links that directed me to this old message and I simply responded being a well-mannered and polite person.

It was my very first encounter with bedbugs and I was embarrassed at first while on board and thought the matter would be handled by others who knew more about it.

Apparently there are some 'critics' who enjoy doing just that.

I just joined Cruise Critic this past week at the suggestion of my travel agent. I posted a critique of Celebrity for its handling of the matter over the past 6 weeks. Bedbugs are not the issue, but the response of Celebrity. That post - my first - has not been published.

I received an email with no less than nine links that directed me to this old message and I simply responded being a well-mannered and polite person.

It was my very first encounter with bedbugs and I was embarrassed at first while on board and thought the matter would be handled by others who knew more about it.

Fair enough. Now that you've explained why you revived this 2010 thread, I'd agree with you that some members here have been unnecessarily unpleasant.

But (assuming your bed bug claim is factual) I'd like to ask: Exactly what did you expect Celebrity to do? They changed your cabin, they evidently cleaned it and the surrounding cabins. I'm sure they apologized. WHAT else are you asking for?

I am sorry, I did not realize you were new to cruisecritic.

I know I was on the April repo and one of my friends had a terrible bed bug issue at a very well known and well respected San Juan Hotel.

I guess they can be brought on the ship by customers from the hotels:(

I am sorry you went through this.

Have you tried contacting Michael Bayley's office directly.

The e-mail to his office and staff is on cruise critic and the one time I had to contact his office about something serious, the matter was handled very quickly and very professionally.

I am sorry you had to go through this experience.

This thread was started in 2010 & restarted by a one hit wonder.:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:

how nice to be referred to as a one hit wonder .. I was not reviving anything - I responded to an email with over nine links asking me about it. As a one-hit wonder I was not looking at the date ... wow Cruise Critics are really that ...

Fair enough. Now that you've explained why you revived this 2010 thread, I'd agree with you that some members here have been unnecessarily unpleasant.

But (assuming your bed bug claim is factual) I'd like to ask: Exactly what did you expect Celebrity to do? They changed your cabin, they evidently cleaned it and the surrounding cabins. I'm sure they apologized. WHAT else are you asking for?

We were both bitten by the bugs. There was a $51 bill for the doctor and $111 for the antibiotics. We were told to claim from our travel insurance. Our clothes were packed in garbage bags and steamed rather than dry-cleaned. We did not fill-out the laundry list in the cabin as we were not permitted to stay and rushed out. We sat in the new cabin for the whole day in housecoats. My partners new dresses were returned in plastic bags - shapeless and limp. We were denied any compensation as the form hadn't been filled. We were told to claim from our travel insurance again.

We were both bitten by the bugs. There was a $51 bill for the doctor and $111 for the antibiotics. We were told to claim from our travel insurance. Our clothes were packed in garbage bags and steamed rather than dry-cleaned. We did not fill-out the laundry list in the cabin as we were not permitted to stay and rushed out. We sat in the new cabin for the whole day in housecoats. My partners new dresses were returned in plastic bags - shapeless and limp. We were denied any compensation as the form hadn't been filled. We were told to claim from our travel insurance again.

It is easier to handle it like I did. I made one cruise on Celebrity and silently slipped away.

Over 40 cruises on NCL and 18 on Princess with no bedbug problems. I probably won't be back to Celebrity.