Internet Service In Cabins?

loving2cruise

Hello,

Is there internet service in the cabins on the Caribbean Princess or is it only in designated areas around the ship? Thanks

A friend told me she was doing her blog while sitting on her bed in her cabin...she loved the convenience...but I don't believe it was the Caribbean Princess, I think it was the Ruby or the Emerald.

I think they have all been retrofitted with wireless through out the ship. There may be some areas where the signal is not as strong but I have had no problems the last couple of times I have sailed with Princess with internet in the cabin.

Yup, the CB has it.

We were on her in Feb of '09 and used the service from our cabin on the Aloha deck.

Worked reasonably well for email. Didn't try to do any web surfing though because I think it's still priced a bit too pricey.

Unless something has changed recently the answer is no to wireless in your cabin. We were on the Pacific Princess in May 2009 and went to the Card Room next to the Internet cafe. Also, I think there were "hot spots" around the public areas of the ship.

Do all Princess ships now have wireless internet throughout? We're on the Pacific Princess in July and I just assumed (maybe wrongly) that we'd have it!

Do all Princess ships now have wireless internet throughout? We're on the Pacific Princess in July and I just assumed (maybe wrongly) that we'd have it!

They are supposed to.

We had cabin reception on the Crown, Emerald and Ocean in the past year.

Remember even if it's available, it's not free. You must sign up and pay for internet access on the ship. Most CLs have minute packages you can buy. Since usage is based upon minutes, it's always better to do most offline, like emails, etc. then cut and paste to save time. Happy Sailing!

Yes, they all have it. And as has been mentioned, it's not free, i.e., you need to purchase an Internet package to use the WiFi. Also, it's very slow, even at it's fastest, because there is limited bandwidth and the signal is going through a satellite in space. If a lot of people are using it at the same time, or they are uploading/downloading graphics or going to a graphics-intensive website, it'll take much longer than you're used to and be quite frustrating. A really good time is early in the morning; few people are using it then. I've found that dinnertime is also a good time because most people are eating or going to entertainment and the crew/staff are still working.

We were on the Pacific Princess this past fall, all the way aft on deck 6, and had a perfect internet connection. Even when out at sea between Hawaii and Tahiti, no problem in the cabin, or on the balcony! Enjoy!

Wow, that is interesting since we chatted alot with the Internet Manager in May 2009. The Pacific was not "slated" for any "hot spot" upgrades in the near future back then. He stated that some cabins would receive internet usage but it was very hit or miss. I didn't think the Pacific had been in dry dock since last year.

Wow, that is interesting since we chatted alot with the Internet Manager in May 2009. The Pacific was not "slated" for any "hot spot" upgrades in the near future back then. He stated that some cabins would receive internet usage but it was very hit or miss. I didn't think the Pacific had been in dry dock since last year.

No idea if they extended the WiFi coverage or what, I never thought of checking. But in 6088 on the Pacific, we had a perfect connection the entire trip.

It also works in the cabins sporadically at best. On our last three Princess cruises it worked maybe 2/3 of the time. That may also have been true of the ship in general, including the Internet Cafe terminals, but I've only been using a laptop in the cabin lately.

Les

Thanks!! I'm aware that you need to pay for internet usage. I've been doing that for years. I just enjoy sitting on my balcony writing email a whole lot more than in one of the public spaces. So, I'm happy to hear we'll have it on the Pacific Princess in July.

And, just for the record, I haven't found the the ship-wide signal to be "spotty." At least not on any of the ships that we've sailed on. My experience has been that the signal is consistently strong throughout the cruise. It is true that it's faster in non-peak periods of the day!!

It also works in the cabins sporadically at best. On our last three Princess cruises it worked maybe 2/3 of the time. That may also have been true of the ship in general, including the Internet Cafe terminals, but I've only been using a laptop in the cabin lately.
A number of things can affect Internet access. Weather and location are two of them. If you are at the edge of satellite coverage, it'll be spotty or non-existant. On our Baltic cruise a couple of years ago, for instance, there were several days when there was no Internet service. There are never any guarantees that there will be.

For full suites, internet access is included, but I'm not sure if that's just for the Internet Cafe, or if wireless access in room is also included. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Either/Or. Full suites have unlimited complimentary access whether at the internet cafe or with their own computer with WiFi.

A friend told me she was doing her blog while sitting on her bed in her cabin...she loved the convenience...but I don't believe it was the Caribbean Princess, I think it was the Ruby or the Emerald.

Well we came all the way across the Pacific Pond last Nov from SYD and there was superb reception.

There will always be complainers who will find something wrong with the speed, however if you figure out the best times to go to the Internet Cafe (early am and after 2130hrs) there is no problem whatsoever. We even borrowed our friends laptop and encountered no problems.

Only thing is remember that you sign off the ship's Internet or it can get expensive.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived