Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

My only experience is with a taxi tour driver who confirmed that it was $40 an hour for two of us. But of course, you tip on top of that amount.

If it is helpful, per the following thread and shared by 32N64W who lists the he/she lives in Bermuda: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1415212

"... I just spoke to my tame Taxi Driver "The Stig", AND the Government Transport Control Department, and here's the deal:

Taxi Tour rates are mandated and controlled by Government. The rates are $40 per hour for a four person cab and $55.50 per hour for a six person cab.

A driver can negotiate LESS than the standard rate, but not MORE.

Most drivers will ask for a minimum time, usually three hours.

Unlike regular taxi rates, these prices do not change at night, on Sundays or holidays.

It is quite likely (and reasonable) that if you book a tour through your ship, they will add a charge, but if you are dealing directly with a driver, they CANNOT ask more than the Government rate without risking getting in big trouble and losing their license.

Government is VERY strict about this. We will not tolerate a situation here similar to that which exists in many other destinations where visitors are "ripped off" by rogue drivers.

Tours are available from both regular drivers or "Blue Flag" drivers.

The difference is that Blue Flag drivers have completed a Government course and are therefore qualified as Tour Guides.

There is no difference in rates - but Blue Flag drivers may be harder to book, simply because they are very busy.

That said, many cruisers have reported excellent trips with non-Blue Flag drivers.

There will usually be taxis available right there at the dock to go on tours, but if you want a specific time or service, it would be in your interest to book ahead of time - there is no extra charge for this ..."

Edited by FoodieNJ

We'll be a party of 5 adults, including a 90 year old who can not walk long distances or stand for extended periods but declines the use of a wheelchair. We'll be in Bermuda on October 25, 2011-first time there-- and want to hire a guide. I'm hoping some of you might be able to:

) tell me how close to the ship can we be picked up and dropped off?

) how much standing is there waiting for a ferry or are there places to sit? I've read on here that many people take a ferry to and/or from their driver.

) offer some suggestions on sites that might be appropriate for us, or to avoid if they are difficult to get around, for example.

) mention what kind of vehicle your driver used for your tour.

THANKS!!

When we went with Colin (July 7,2011---party of 4) we had a list of "must sees" that I had already sent him in an email and then when we met up with him we talked about how we wanted to spend the day. It was OUR tour not his Pre-planned tour although he had plenty of fill-ins and added so much knowledge and commentary!! We had originally planned to eat at the Dockyard but decided to just grab a quick bite and spend more time touring.

not a real long walk where the taxis are waiting when ship is docked in Bermuda. have you thought of taking a compact folding chair that you can carry to use when needed? have a friend who has leg problems and he does that on trips. also ship has wheelchair in terminals that can be used to get on ship when you depart and when you arrive back. believe you have to let them know ahead if you need one. have a wonderful cruise

I just wanted to add my recommendation for Colin as a private guide. He took us on a great 7 hour tour. Was all over the island. He is very well spoken, informative and showed us all we wanted to see in more. His van was very comfortable and he gave us as much or as little time as we wanted to spend at each stop.

Hello...

When we booked our tour I told the driver places I wanted to go. They added in other places and we were just as happy with that. Part of our group were dropped off at the ferry and part of the group was taken back to the dock.

We're going with Colin in a few weeks. Could you list where he took you? We'll be going to St George because we haven't been there before. Just trying to decide what other places we don't want to miss :) I think we are going to have him end in Hamilton & we'll take the ferry back to the dockyard.

Susan, It's Debbie, we sailed with you on the Destiny years ago.

When are u going to Bermuda and what ship we're going also in September.

You'll love it and enjoy.

I emailed Collin Jennings last night and got a response from him this morning.

I can't tell you how excited I am! I was feeling overwhelmed with choosing between a taxi or a bus or the ferry.

Now we don't have to think about it!

Loved our day w/ Colin in June; I hope you have a wonderful time:) so much easier than dealing with when the bus came, what one to get etc.. We did St George via ferry on our own the next day

Susan, It's Debbie, we sailed with you on the Destiny years ago.

When are u going to Bermuda and what ship we're going also in September.

You'll love it and enjoy.

Debbie--so glad to see your post. I lost your e-mail addy because it was on my work computer & I don't work anymore. We're on Carnival Pride 09/18/11 to Bermuda---too bad we're not on the same cruise. We've been on Pride before (we don't have to fly to the port---in Baltimore, MD) but we haven't been to Bermuda. Any good Bermuda advice for us? BTW--we sailed together on AOS---want to go again?? :)

Debbie--so glad to see your post. I lost your e-mail addy because it was on my work computer & I don't work anymore. We're on Carnival Pride 09/18/11 to Bermuda---too bad we're not on the same cruise. We've been on Pride before (we don't have to fly to the port---in Baltimore, MD) but we haven't been to Bermuda. Any good Bermuda advice for us? BTW--we sailed together on AOS---want to go again?? :)

I retired too. Email me at Jeepers385 @ verizon . net without the spaces.

We just came back from the Hurricane Irene cruise to Bermuda...We had a tour the first day with Duke Soares.....It was fantastic He took us all over the island and I really feel like I saw most of Bermuda...He asked us if we wanted to go aware special and we told him the Sea Glass beach he took us to a different one near horseshoe beach I think...he kept telling us he was sorry that the weather was not great ..rained for awhile...He wanted to know if we wanted to stop for lunch but were didn't want to wast the time or the money so he took the group (6) to a supermarket and we bought drinks and snacks...if anyone wants a guide who is extremely knowledgeable and really fun Dike is your guy...we were so lucky to be able to tour with him...the cruise was hard (because of Irene)...he was a sunny part of it!:D

I can second all that Sabeaux said. We had Duke for an island tour last Thursday (did it on our 2nd day in Bermuda) and he was outstanding. We had him for 7 hours and felt like we saw every inch of Bermuda. He is a wealthof information and very entertaining. I highly recommend him.

We had a five hour tour with Duke on Monday 9/5/11. At the start of the tour he asked what we'd like to see. I told him we had three highlights we'd like to hit:

-Gibbs Lighthouse

-Horseshoe Bay

-Tobacco Bay

We requested time to swim at the two beaches. We told him we were open to seeing other things he thought might interest us along the way. We ended up seeing a ton and we even added some extra driving for a bit between Horsehoe Bay and Tobacco Bay as our son had decided to take a nap in the car.

Well worth the money. Hoping to get back to Bermuda soon and we would definately hire him again.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone have any new reviews of their trips with Colin, or Duke or...?

- Miriam

We just got home today from our cruise to Bermuda. Our group of 6 took a tour with Colin---it was great!! He was waiting for us at the dock when we got off of the ship. We spent an action packed 6 hours with him. Colin gave us lots of information as was traveled from the Dockyard to St George & then back to Hamilton where he let us off so we could shop & take the ferry back to the Dockyard. He took us where we wanted to go. Hopefully I can post a review later with more details but, for now, I'll just say that Colin did not disappoint us!!

We had Duke for 6 hours on Sept 13 and he was wonderful. We toured the entire island. We grabbed a quick bite during the dunking watching it while we ate and he had brought a lunch. I have some disabilites an he brought a stool for me. He stopped everywhere we wanted to and gave us some suggestions. My loves to take photos and he stopped any time my husband wanted to sometimes with great difficulty. He is a kind and friendly man.

Sue :)

Since I was the one that first mentioned Colin, back on Post # 18, I follow all the posts on this thread. I was just looking to see and hear if anyone RECENTLY had traveled with him, or Duke.

I TALK to him regularly and I was just looking for feedback on others trips with him.

Glad you enjoyed your day with him! - Miriam

My husband and I toured with Duke on Sept 28th. His wife, who is the one who keeps an eye on e-mails for Duke, is currently out of the country on holiday (or was as of last week) so his son, Mark, who is currently in Boston, is keeping an eye on the e-mails for Duke. I did book late and there was a little bit of delay between responses because of the above but it all worked out wonderfully in the end. We had a great day with Duke and saw way more than I ever thought possible, including the Botanical Gardens, Palm Grove Gardens, Heydon Trust Chapel, St. George's including St Peter's Church and the Perfumery, St David's Island, BAMZ, Gibb's Lighthouse, etc. I am very glad that we booked the day with Duke.

Just booked with Duke for Nov. 14 tour. Looking forward to it. I think we made a good decision- considering the bus problems, the congestion, waits for the bus or ferry, crowding when the ship arrives. It sounds like we will see what we want to see and can also take Duke's suggestions to make our quick trip complete. We are only in port from 11AM Mon. to 1PM Tues! Tues we plan to stay in the Dockyards, where we are docked.

IMHO what you are doing is a great plan.. we had 3 days in Bermuda but for folks with just a day/day and half who haven't been before a guide is just well worth it. You can't see it all but even in best circumstances with all public transport running, it's just a lot of buses, ferries and you simply can't see it all.. you can't see it "all" in a day but it's a great start and Bermuda has a lot of really good guides!