Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

• Administrators
He emailed me today. He is free aug 30 so i might book him. How much did it run you? $55 an hour for 2 adults and 3 kids is kinda much considering the kids are only being wAtched as opposed to sight seeing since all they want is pool beach abd junk food lol.

We had four people and it was $40 per hour (I think it's $55 for 5-6 people, or maybe 5-8 (I didn't research it as we only had 4)). The rates are set by the government and the licensed cab driver/tour guides don't have any control over them, as far as I know. We thought that $10 per person per hour was reasonable, especially compared to what the ship charges each person for a bus type tour, but we really wanted to see a lot of the island. For just going to the beach, the local bus or the shared cab options might be more economical. Have a great trip!

I finally got in touch with someone to take us around the island.

Nadanja, is willing to help me out with 12 ppl. He said 2 vans at $55 per hr, which I think is right.

Now...what do I want to see? Can you help me out. We don't have little children and would like to see as much of the island as we can. should we have lunch at the Swizzle Inn, or somewhere else?

thanks to all that helped me out. I was getting nervous about being able to book someone.

I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to threads like this. We had a wonderful day with Duke last week in Bermuda -- we spent 8 hours touring with him and it was just a great, easy way to get an overall "feel" for the island and to stop and spend time wherever we wanted. These folks mostly are one-person businesses, so you might have to be a bit persistent with emails, etc. (That said, Duke was very prompt in his communications with us).

I hope everyone enjoys Bermuda as much as we did!

Host Michell, we have Duke booked for 8/3. May I ask what your itinerary was for the day and did you stop somewhere for lunch? Thank you!

Caves are stunning, allow 45 mins for one or 1.5 hrs for both (cheaper) but be forewarned it is very hot and muggy in the caves, not cool like at home (or at least here); if you can make it up view from Gibbes Hill is amazing 360 degree; Horseshoe Bay-Warwick; St George's. We just had snack lunch at Temptations in St George's - small place, not sure you'd get seating for 12 at one time though.

• Administrators
Host Michell, we have Duke booked for 8/3. May I ask what your itinerary was for the day and did you stop somewhere for lunch? Thank you!

We left it mostly to him, though we went to the common stops (some of these were for beautiful photos, as we requested that). He met us at the bottom of the gangplank right outside the ship at 9:00 AM, and we returned to the ship promptly at 5:00 PM. Some of our stops were:

• Fort Scaur
  • "World's Smallest Drawbridge" (photo op)
  • Gibbs Hill Lighthouse (we didn't climb it but could have)
  • Church Bay, Horseshoe Bay, Warwick (just to get an overview of the beaches there -- we visited the beach the next day)
  • St. George's (since it was Wednesday the old State House was open, plus we also toured St. Peter's church, the churchyard, and some of the historic downtown area)
  • Fort St. Catherine (we ate lunch at Blackbeard's Hideout right next door -- fabulous views from there and good fish sandwiches and "dark n' stormys" too!)
  • Tucker Town (more vistas/photos)
  • the part of the island where the military base used to be located
  • Flatts -- where the aquarium and zoo are, to see the turtle exhibit and also watch for rays coming in on the tide from the bridge there

Part of our day was previewing the sites for our friends' (2 couples) weddings the next day, so we visited the church involved, along with John Smith Bay (a beach), and that took about an hour of our day.

It was a very full day -- but also a wonderful one! :)

Duke will take you wherever you want to go; you just have to let him know your interests. He'll also do a good job keeping an eye on the time and advising you when there may be an issue (like us wanting to get to St. George's in time to see the "ducking" re-enactment).

We have Colin next Wednesday. I guess will be stopping for lunch someplace. Anyone know if were expected to pay for his lunch? I don't mind, just asking because I don't know

Thanks

Caves are stunning, allow 45 mins for one or 1.5 hrs for both (cheaper) but be forewarned it is very hot and muggy in the caves, not cool like at home (or at least here); if you can make it up view from Gibbes Hill is amazing 360 degree; Horseshoe Bay-Warwick; St George's. We just had snack lunch at Temptations in St George's - small place, not sure you'd get seating for 12 at one time though.

Just wondering what time you got to the caves and if there was much of a wait to get in? I've heard they can get very crowded in the afternoon.

We have Colin next Wednesday. I guess will be stopping for lunch someplace. Anyone know if were expected to pay for his lunch? I don't mind, just asking because I don't know

Thanks

Colin will ask you IF you want to stop for lunch and where. He will not assume that you want to. I told him, when I first met him, what kind of restaurant that I was looking for. I had specific criteria and he told me what ones fit my request. I asked him to join us but he declined. The next couple of times, I insisted and he finally agreed.

An average lunch, at a moderate restaurant, (without alcohol), will be about $ 25 each/per person.

The climb to the top of the Lighthouse should not be missed!!!

Hope this helps! - Miriam

We are doing ours the last day also. Post back and tell us about it! :D

It was great. Colin is everything Miriam said he is. We did a full 5 hours with him and just put ourselves in his hands. We did skip the Aquarium since we did that on our own the first day. He brings bread to feed the fish at the Somerset drawbridge and it's some sight. We did the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse (I sent my nephew and his 19 year old legs up to the top to take pictures) and the Crystal Cave (again sending the young legs down to be my eyes).

If you can get Colin, then book him. I came off the ship at 9 AM and he was standing right there and he dropped us back in plenty of time to get back aboard after some last minute shopping in Dockyard. We liked him so much that I play to scan and e-mail his card to the travel agency we use for our company as well as the one I use for my personal cruise bookings.

Just wondering what time you got to the caves and if there was much of a wait to get in? I've heard they can get very crowded in the afternoon.

We got there around 2 p.m and waited maybe10 mins at the most... there were about 20 people in the group we went down into Fantasy with but didn't feel crowded.. this was first day in port (Wednesday) for Gem and Summit so it may be busier on Thursday when both ships in port all day and people venture out further onto the island? And Veendam is also in port Thursday.. maybe go Wednesday or Fri. a.m.?

I was just in Bermuda on the Dawn.....I took the ferry over to Hamilton with nothing really planned on what I was going to do. while there, I met a taxi driver who offered to take me and my mother and niece around the island for a tour. He asked me what we wanted to see and also would take us to places that tour groups don't go. I was really impressed with what I saw and whenever I wanted to stop and take pictures, he would.. I wasn't interested in going to St. George. soon after, our driver told me that if I did want to go to St. George, that he would take us and wouldn't charge us for the additional hour. I declined his generous offer ....He also drove us back to kings wharf...all in all, I really enjoyed this tour. my driver was very knowledgable and I saw sites that most people wouldn't. If interested, his name is:

Prinsen Bailey- Taxi tours

441-293-1105

email is: pbailey@northrock(dot)bm

I was just in Bermuda on the Dawn............. and I saw sites that most people wouldn't.

And what would those sites be? Just curious, as what you have described, is what ALL the pleasant, knowledgeable taxi drivers do. What sites did you get to see, that all the rest of us missed?

- Miriam

We had Colin this past Monday (6/20) and had a great experience. We got to see so much of the island it was unbelieveable.

I don't think we would have been able to see as much as we did had we not booked a private tour. He was very punctual and yes, he fed the fish at the smallest drawbridge. He even offered to take pictures of my husband and myself several times while on the tour. The weather was not great that day, so we didn't go on the beach. He did take us to see them and we did get to walk on them and take some pictures. Again, he found a couple of scenic places to take our pictures. On our way back to the cab, Colin handed me a plastic bag of "Bermuda pink sand" from Horsehoe Bay. Since we couldn't be on the beach because of the strong winds, he wanted me to have some to take home.

It's the little things that Colin did i.e. taking the pictures, the sand, etc. that made this an extra special tour for us. I highly recommend him.

To everyone on this thread that did post their experiences with him, I thank you.

We had Colin this past Monday (6/20) and had a great experience. We got to see so much of the island it was unbelieveable.

I don't think we would have been able to see as much as we did had we not booked a private tour. He was very punctual and yes, he fed the fish at the smallest drawbridge. He even offered to take pictures of my husband and myself several times while on the tour. The weather was not great that day, so we didn't go on the beach. He did take us to see them and we did get to walk on them and take some pictures. Again, he found a couple of scenic places to take our pictures. On our way back to the cab, Colin handed me a plastic bag of "Bermuda pink sand" from Horsehoe Bay. Since we couldn't be on the beach because of the strong winds, he wanted me to have some to take home.

It's the little things that Colin did i.e. taking the pictures, the sand, etc. that made this an extra special tour for us. I highly recommend him.

To everyone on this thread that did post their experiences with him, I thank you.

we also toured with Colin the prior week. he was very nice. took us to practically every place on the island worth seeing, and a few places we asked him about since we'd been there 30 yrs before. it's worth booking a trip with him.

We booked Colin on a Sunday (6/19), but it was starting at 9:15 am. We toured for about 5 1/2 hrs. it was really great. We let him plan it and saw the entire island. We didn't stop downtown Hamilton or St George, but he drove us around the towns. We made one mistake, not Colin's error, it was ours. There was a Bermuda 'host' talking to us as we were waiting. We just let her talk telling us about sites to see in Bermuda, She mentioned the Crystal caves telling us about them and we just nodded, waiting for Colin. Well, when Colin showed up, she went and told him we wanted to go to the Crystal Caves. It was ok, we enjoyed them, but poor Colin had to wait around alittle over an hour. After we got back in the van, then did we realize what the lady did. Colin thought we really wanted to go there and we thought that he really wanted us to see them. LOL. Another thing, Colin just got a bought a new van in December and it was really nice and comfortable. He answered all of our questions and was so knowledgeable. Have a wonderful time with him, we sure did.

Another two thumbs up for Colin. My wife and I toured with him 6/22/11. We toured for about 5 hours seeing about 95% of the island. He picked us up at 9 am and dropped us off in Hamilton around 2:30pm

Another two thumbs up for Colin. My wife and I toured with him 6/22/11. We toured for about 5 hours seeing about 95% of the island. He picked us up at 9 am and dropped us off in Hamilton around 2:30pm

There are 4 of us going with Colin the day we depart Bermuda. Did you have a plan or did you just let Colin take you? We do want to get to Swizzle Inn for lunch and our last stop will be the beach with the seaglass. Thats all we have planned so far. :)

Can you tell me how much it was for Colin for the half day tour? I received one email from him but don't know if I'll hear from him again before we leave Sunday! July 3!!

40.00 per hour 1-4 people. :)

We are going to be in Bermuda for a day, in less than a week. Besides Colleen, who is unavailable, and Duke/his son, whom I can't get a response from, is there another guide that anyone has used that they would recommend? Would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks, Amy