Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Is it really essential to reserve in advance? We will be there the week of 7/25. Are there likely to be drivers available on the spot?

We just walked down the pier to where the taxis were and grabbed one. For a tour you need to hire them for a minimum of 3 hours. It is 40 an hour. There were four of us so our tour cost $30 per person. Our driver was great and took us to the places we wanted to go and told us about the island and what we were seeing. I suppose you could get a "dud" but we liked being able to decide at the last minute and based on weather,etc what day and time we wanted to tour.

I have heard about times when none of the approved tour guides were available when you got off the ship. I think if a lot of ships were in port at the height of the season that might be more of a problem.

Another question - how do you pay - cash, credit card or check? I would assume cash

We just returned yesterday from a great trip on the Summit and toured with Duke for about 5 hours on Wednesday. He is a wonderful tour guide, with an amazing fund of knowledge, not only about Bermuda but US and other history as well. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with him and recommend him highly.

We just returned yesterday from a great trip on the Summit and toured with Duke for about 5 hours on Wednesday. He is a wonderful tour guide, with an amazing fund of knowledge, not only about Bermuda but US and other history as well. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with him and recommend him highly.

We are cruising on the Summit at the end of August and have Duke "booked" for day 2 in Bermuda. Would you mind sharing which places you hit on your tour?

We are cruising on the Summit at the end of August and have Duke "booked" for day 2 in Bermuda. Would you mind sharing which places you hit on your tour?

Hi Chrystine, Duke was waiting for us as we exited the ship. He asked what we wanted to see and we left it in his hands. We spent about 5 hours with him and toured all over. We saw several forts ( Fort Scaur and Fort St Catherine), old churches, multiple beaches including Church and Horseshoe beaches, as well as Warwick and Tobacco bay. We went to St Georges and saw the dunking of the wench and St Peter's church. We visited the St David lighthouse. We went by the aquarium( altho didnt go in) and saw rays at the flats. We ended up in Hamilton and then took the ferry back to Dockyard.

He spent as much or as little time as we wanted at each site. It was a wonderful day.

Hi Chrystine, Duke was waiting for us as we exited the ship. He asked what we wanted to see and we left it in his hands. We spent about 5 hours with him and toured all over. We saw several forts ( Fort Scaur and Fort St Catherine), old churches, multiple beaches including Church and Horseshoe beaches, as well as Warwick and Tobacco bay. We went to St Georges and saw the dunking of the wench and St Peter's church. We visited the St David lighthouse. We went by the aquarium( altho didnt go in) and saw rays at the flats. We ended up in Hamilton and then took the ferry back to Dockyard.

He spent as much or as little time as we wanted at each site. It was a wonderful day.

Sounds like a wonderful time! I am so looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing your tour info :)

I am sure he could do it on his own and much cheaper. but we want to know we have a person who KNOWS Bermuda. We don't want to wait on transportation to get back to the ship. This is was is best for us. We are a group of six and are sharing the cost between 3 couples.

Get a private guide like Duke, Colin or Louis to meet you in St George's (i.e take ferry from Dockyard), give you a tour and then take you back by sites on the way to Hamilton and get a ferry back to ship there.. You can do St George on your own or take the informative "train excursion" that you can purchase once you get there.

We had Colin for the day and saw other sites on way to St George (he picked up at Dockyard), went to Caves after St George and then took ferry back from Hamilton (less hassle, less traffic, cheaper)

we had the good fortune to take a tour with lloyd smart vip tours. lloyd is a gentleman with extensive knowledge of bermuda. he decided the tour and took us to our requested sites. his sense of humor added alot to our tour. he had us laughing with his anecdotes.this tour was one of the highlights of our cruise. we would recommend this tour with lloyd

I will say that Duke does respond rather quickly. I sent Colin an email a couple weeks ago and have not yet heard back. I sent Duke an email and heard back within 24 hours. And I have sent multiple emails to him with questions and he answers very promptly.

Host Caroline.....how many hours did you have Colin? I gave Duke a list of places I wanted to see and then the places he would recommend seeing and he recommended the tour be about 6 hours. Even though we are going to be there for 3 days, I am still thinking of adding on the Caves and having him take us there. That is still undecided.

Any advice or recommendations??

I will say that Duke does respond rather quickly. I sent Colin an email a couple weeks ago and have not yet heard back. I sent Duke an email and heard back within 24 hours. And I have sent multiple emails to him with questions and he answers very promptly.

Host Caroline.....how many hours did you have Colin? I gave Duke a list of places I wanted to see and then the places he would recommend seeing and he recommended the tour be about 6 hours. Even though we are going to be there for 3 days, I am still thinking of adding on the Caves and having him take us there. That is still undecided.

Any advice or recommendations??

We were with Colin for about 5.5 hours, picked up at Dockyard, stopped in Somerset (15-20 mins), Gibbes Hill Lighthoues (45 mins or so bec. we climbed to top); Horseshoe Beach (maybe 15 mins, we aren't "beach people"), Warwick Beach, lovely area near aquarium (but didn't go to to aquarium), St Georges (maybe 45 mins bec. we were going back next day), Fantasy Caves (we did tour. so there 40 mins?) and then quick stop at Paget Marsh.. left us off in Hamilton and we took ferry back (there is no 4 pm ferry to dockyard tho we found out).. He was a great guide, lots of neat info, very personable, we got great value for the money IMHO

It was almost 2 weeks before I heard back from Colin, and unfortunately he was already booked the day that we wanted to take his tour.

terry55 -- who did you ultimately use for your taxi tour. How did you enjoy the tour?

Hope you see this Miriam! Followed your recommendation and emailed Colin on Tues evening. He confirmed later that night and we are all set for "his" tour on August 24th!! Can't wait, so thrilled we are going to have him!!

And finally a huge thanks to you!!! I think mentioning your name made a big difference on how quickly he responnded back to us! Will report when I return!! Thank you!!:)

We were in Bermuda last summer for 3 days on the NCL Dawn. We had booked a tour in advance for our 2nd day in port with:

Lloyd Smart

VIP Taxi Services

His phone no. is 441-236-2957 (home) and 441-534-8688 (in-car, which is probably his cell).

His e-mail address is lsmart@northrock.bm

He was a wonderful guide, well-spoken, patient and very knowledgeable. We left our tour open-ended and flexible, having e-mailed him in advance a list of things we wanted to see. He showed us all that and more...We wound up touring with him from one end of the island to the other for about 9 hours (our choice - he told us most tours were nowhere near as long), which seemed to go by in a flash! He was such a lovely man that we invited him to join us for lunch and he even did a quick drive by his own house on our way back so we could see where he lived and explain about Bermudian houses!

By the end of the tour we felt like we had made a friend!

I found a recommendation for him on these boards and we were very happy that we used him. Good luck in your search!

we had the good fortune to take a tour with lloyd smart vip tours. lloyd is a gentleman with extensive knowledge of bermuda. he decided the tour and took us to our requested sites. his sense of humor added alot to our tour. he had us laughing with his anecdotes.this tour was one of the highlights of our cruise. we would recommend this tour with lloyd

What were the rates for your tour?

Ok folks... we had Colin booked for Oct. 19th and we ended up changing cruises this morning. I just sent him an email to cancel and hopefully we will be able to get him for the other cruise we changed to!! So those on the Glory Oct.16-22nd. Better book him quick!!

Hi All,

As our cruise date approaches I am trying to "plan" our 3 days in Bermuda but yet "not plan it" as well. My husband is not a fan of buses(he tends to get sick...weird yes I know), so I wanted to make sure our transportation is organized.

We figure we'll investigate the Dockyard and Snorkle Beach on Sunday when we arrive around noon time. We have booked Duke Soares for our full day in Bermuda(monday). When I emailed Duke to confirm, he said he was available the following day as well(I had inquired). So I booked him for 4+ hours on our day of departuretuesday), so that we could head to Horseshoe Bay in the morning, spend a couple hours(DH not a fan of beaches as he burns too easily) do whatever else we wanted and not worry about buses, traffic and be back to the ship by the correct time.

I realize it is way more money than the buses( i know all about #7 and the special buses etc). But to accomodate my DH so that he is happy, this is what I thought would work best for us, so that "I" am happy too. I would still like to slip a ride on the ferry somewhere in there but its not necessary.

I realize there is cheaper transportation, does anyone have a comment on how we could split everything up into 1 1/2 days to see everything with our tour guide: visit beaches, have nice lunches and RELAX. This is what I deperately need. Peace and quiet, no worries, no drama!

Help appreciated.

Mrs. Nora4sure

Have you considered the ferry instead of the bus? Why not take the ferry over to Hamilton when you arrive on Sunday and walk around town - maybe walk up to the Cathedral and investigate the gardens (there are several in town). You might have tea at the Hamilton Princess.

Maybe on Monday you could take the ferry to St. George and meet your guide there, and then work your way back, stopping at beaches or shops

Then on Tuesday you can maybe visit the Botanical Garden (they have a free tour at 10) and finish up with the things closer to the ship.

Hi All,

As our cruise date approaches I am trying to "plan" our 3 days in Bermuda but yet "not plan it" as well. My husband is not a fan of buses(he tends to get sick...weird yes I know), so I wanted to make sure our transportation is organized.

We figure we'll investigate the Dockyard and Snorkle Beach on Sunday when we arrive around noon time. We have booked Duke Soares for our full day in Bermuda(monday). When I emailed Duke to confirm, he said he was available the following day as well(I had inquired). So I booked him for 4+ hours on our day of departuretuesday), so that we could head to Horseshoe Bay in the morning, spend a couple hours(DH not a fan of beaches as he burns too easily) do whatever else we wanted and not worry about buses, traffic and be back to the ship by the correct time.

I realize it is way more money than the buses( i know all about #7 and the special buses etc). But to accomodate my DH so that he is happy, this is what I thought would work best for us, so that "I" am happy too. I would still like to slip a ride on the ferry somewhere in there but its not necessary.

I realize there is cheaper transportation, does anyone have a comment on how we could split everything up into 1 1/2 days to see everything with our tour guide: visit beaches, have nice lunches and RELAX. This is what I deperately need. Peace and quiet, no worries, no drama!

Help appreciated.

Mrs. Nora4sure

Rather than spending all the money for a 4 hour private guide booking on a day when you're basically just going to the beach, why not just take a taxi from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay and then another taxi back to Dockyard when you're ready to return? It would be a fraction of the cost of a private guide that will cost you $160 plus tip for four hours...most of which he will spend doing nothing but relaxing in his car waiting for you while you're at the beach.