Book another cabin or move to a mini-suite?

searlie

Hi!

Looking for opinions and/or advice... We are cruising 5/29 out of NYC on NCL -- we have just one ocean view room right now for myself, hubby, and two children. The "children" aren't that little anymore...the cruise is a graduation gift for my daughter -- she is 18 and my son will be 12 in a week.

Sooo, we are getting a bit concerned about being too squished, sharing the bathroom, etc. I was trying to get an upgrade to a balcony but I'm on a wait-list for that. (not sure how much roomier that is anyway?)

Right now, the options my TA gave me are: book another cabin a few rooms away from the one we have now (they didn't have adjoining). That would be under $1,000 to do. Or, move to a mini-suite which would be a little over $1,000. That would put us in a higher category (nicer floor perhaps, not sure) -- but we would still have the one bathroom issue.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!! :)

Hi!

Looking for opinions and/or advice... We are cruising 5/29 out of NYC on NCL -- we have just one ocean view room right now for myself, hubby, and two children. The "children" aren't that little anymore...the cruise is a graduation gift for my daughter -- she is 18 and my son will be 12 in a week.

Sooo, we are getting a bit concerned about being too squished, sharing the bathroom, etc. I was trying to get an upgrade to a balcony but I'm on a wait-list for that. (not sure how much roomier that is anyway?)

Right now, the options my TA gave me are: book another cabin a few rooms away from the one we have now (they didn't have adjoining). That would be under $1,000 to do. Or, move to a mini-suite which would be a little over $1,000. That would put us in a higher category (nicer floor perhaps, not sure) -- but we would still have the one bathroom issue.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!! :)

JMHO....Get the 2nd stateroom for the children... you will be happy you did and so will they.... a little independance away but close to the partents stateroom is very rewarding for everyone concerned !

Four of you in one cabin will be tight. However I would not leave a 12 yr old and an 18 yr old in a cabin by themselves not next to mine. I know people do it but it would not be for me.

How much more square footage would you get in the suite? That is more important than which level you are on.

Thanks so much everybody!!! The TA thought the 2nd room was the way to go as well...plus a little cheaper! Thanks again! :) I will definitely post a review when we return...!

Hi Marie51,

I just read your comment...and yes, I am a bit nervous about that. Both of my children are very responsible though and we would just be a phone call away...we would still spend the majority of our time together. However, I am going to look at the square footage of the mini-suite -- we haven't made our decision yet. Thanks for your feedback!

Don't forget, showers at the spa can be used and are much bigger. I would opt to haul my crap down there and leave the cabin bathroom for the others.

Well I certainly wouldnt be willing to haul all that... I am not staying at a YMCA !!! To each his or her own :)

Hi Marie51,

I just read your comment...and yes, I am a bit nervous about that. Both of my children are very responsible though and we would just be a phone call away...we would still spend the majority of our time together. However, I am going to look at the square footage of the mini-suite -- we haven't made our decision yet. Thanks for your feedback!

No matter how responsible your children are, the ship is full of strangers that you cannot trust. I never can understand how parents leave their kids in a cabin by themselves. Just my opinion.

Thanks Marie... My one kid is actually a legal adult (18)...could get married, go off to war, etc., so I think I can trust her to lock the door on a cruise ship... Believe me, though, I keep a tight rein and would know what was going on and would have them with us the majority of the time anyway. We are just looking to not be so squished in the room and have one more bathroom! Thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it!

p.s. I couldn't haul my stuff to the shower in the spa either, but like we said, to each their own...whatever works! :o

Thanks Marie... My one kid is actually a legal adult (18)...could get married, go off to war, etc., so I think I can trust her to lock the door on a cruise ship... Believe me, though, I keep a tight rein and would know what was going on and would have them with us the majority of the time anyway. We are just looking to not be so squished in the room and have one more bathroom! Thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it!

p.s. I couldn't haul my stuff to the shower in the spa either, but like we said, to each their own...whatever works! :o

It looks like the oceanview cabins are 160 sq ft.....pretty small. If you decide to get a suite or just switch to 2 rooms, anything will be better than being squished in a small room. Too bad connecting cabins are not avaliable as that would be ideal. Maybe there'll be a cancellation and you can get cabins at least next to each other. How about cabins across the hall from each other?

Hi Marie,

Thanks for the suggestions...there is no inside cabin across from us right now (I checked) or adjoining, unfortunately... So, right now, I think we are going to go with the one just a few rooms down, same hallway. I am sure all will be fine...! I'll let you all know afterwards...looking forward to a good time, great food, fun entertainment, and hoping for sunny skies and smooth seas! :)

No matter how responsible your children are, the ship is full of strangers that you cannot trust. I never can understand how parents leave their kids in a cabin by themselves. Just my opinion.

Marie -

I am curious; have you traveled with children before? What ages? Was there ever a time when they wanted to rest in the cabin, and you (the adults) wanted to go out (for whatever?) What did you do in that case?

My daughters are 11 and 13. We trusted them to stay in the cabin by themselves, and not let in strangers; just as we do at home when my wife and I go out in the evening.

Aloha,

John

On our last cruise our kids had a cabin next to us. They are 13 and 10. When we originally booked we planned on having one adult and one child in each room, however once we got on the ship we let the kids have one room and we had the next. We got keys for their room and they had keys for our room. This made getting dressed and ready for dinner a breeze.

The only night we had an issue was when my son went back to the room early and locked the top lock. No one could get into the room and we had to get security to open the door.

Thanks so much for all the advice everybody! We are going for the two rooms and the kids are happy about that also! I don't think they wanted to be squished with us either...and the one bathroom was an issue as we are used to having three bathrooms at home! Thanks again! :)

Marie -

I am curious; have you traveled with children before? What ages? Was there ever a time when they wanted to rest in the cabin, and you (the adults) wanted to go out (for whatever?) What did you do in that case?

My daughters are 11 and 13. We trusted them to stay in the cabin by themselves, and not let in strangers; just as we do at home when my wife and I go out in the evening.

Aloha,

John

Hi John.....yes, I have traveled with my own children quite extensively when they were young and now cruise regularly with my grandchildren. I have always gotten connecting cabins when I am with the children. However I realize ships have limited cabins that connect and they usually go fast.

Maybe I just worry too much.

We've never had a problem with our children in their own non-balcony cabin, ever since they were 12 and 10. We tuck and lock them in at night, and check up on them via the cabin phone (although I like the idea of using a baby monitor too). They are instructed to keep the door locked and not to leave the cabin, and they have always been responsible for following this rule. There's nothing unsafe about it.

Thanks Donna... We actually did book the 2nd room today -- yay! We also now have $100.00 onboard credit for each room, so that was nice. The kids will have rules, of course...doors locked, curfew, etc., just like at home. I will post my review when we return! Thanks again! :)

Archived