Steam Bath on Spirit

Observer

I understand that there is a unisex (and small?) steam bath on the Spirit available without charge.

Is there a better steam bath in the spa itself? I understand that Seabourn on its Odyssey charges a daily and weekly fee to use spa facilities without a treatment. Is there a similar arrangement on Spirit, and if so can anyone tell me what the charge is.

A daily steam bath is a wonderful part of cruising for me.

Thanks.

funny. my wife and i were talking about this exact topic last night. we sail on the spirit june 5. I too would be very interested to hear from anyone regarding this.

thanks

neilio

thanks for the lead-in Doug.

The Spirit's unisex (no charge) spa facilities were a disappointment for us on our 16 night maiden crossing. Like Observer and Neilo, we use the common spa facilities daily and using the sauna & steam room have become a wonderful part of our daily luxury cruise routine. Unlike the Whisper or Shadow, there is one unisex sauna and one unisex steamroon in the common (no charge) Spirit spa area. Therefore, you are asked to wear a bathing suit when using the unisex spa/steamroom. Both these facilities are located in the same area, serviced with only one shower. There are no locker facilities in this area, instead, you must trudge 15 feet down the hallway (in front of the microscopic-size aerobics/fitness studio, to get to the--again a Unisex locker room--serviced with another shower. Estimate the Suana will seat 3-4 comfortably and the steam room 2-3 people comfortably. In January, there were no hooks in the unisex sauna/spa area or unisex locker shower for your robes (a robe is necessary before using the shower) since it is a unisex locker room. Also, there was no soap, shower, conditioner available (had to repetitively ask for some). Also, the shower had only luke warm or cold water available for 16 nights. Hopefully, these service (soap, water temp, hooks) areas have improved since the maiden crossing. On the plus side, the Spirit's spa/sauna both have windows--great vista from the sauna, tho the window in the steamroom fogs up.

Observer, the 8700 sq ft (pay as u go) spa offers many additional services for

a price. Can't really give u a recommendation--as we did not use this facility during our

voyage. Pls see this video of the Spirit Spa here:

http://www.silverspiritblog.com/post/2010/04/29/THE-SPA-LIFESTYLE-TIME-TO-UNWIND-(NEW-VIDEO!).aspx

Pls scrool down on the link below to see pix of the unisex spa and unisex steamroom (note the ocean-view windows)

http://www.silverspiritblog.com/2009/09/default.aspx

Observer, the 8700 sq ft (pay as u go) spa offers many additional services for

a price. Can't really give u a recommendation--as we did not use this facility during our

voyage.

Many thanks for the helpful (and disappointing!) response. A three person unisex steam room for ~500 passengers does not sound promising.

As for "pay as u go": I would be curious to hear from others how much one has to pay if one wants to go -- simply to use the steam facilities in the spa proper.

Many thanks for the helpful (and disappointing!) response. A three person unisex steam room for ~500 passengers does not sound promising.

As for "pay as u go": I would be curious to hear from others how much one has to pay if one wants to go -- simply to use the steam facilities in the spa proper.

I wrote to SS and recevied the following response:

Dear Sir,

There is no charge for use of sauna, jacuzzi, steam room or relaxation area in our Spa.

Best Regards

Information Desk at Silversea

I wrote to SS and recevied the following response:

Dear Sir,

There is no charge for use of sauna, jacuzzi, steam room or relaxation area in our Spa.

Best Regards

Information Desk at Silversea

Thanks for checking. However, something does not compute.

On SS's own blog site <silverspiritblog.com> they say:

"At 8,300 square feet (770 square metres), The Spa aboard Silver Spirit is the largest in our fleet, featuring a beauty salon, fitness centre, nine spa treatment rooms, two sauna rooms and two steam rooms -- plus a ceramic-tiled Thermal Suite."

Note: Two steam rooms (not a unisex room) and a Thermal Suite.

I am fairly certain that there is a charge for use of these facilities. I am disappointed that the SS Information Desk was less-than-forthcoming. I expect better from them.

Hopefully a recent Spirit cruiser will chime in, but maybe on the Spirit they changed availability/use of the third jacuzzi (on deck six, aft) and associated relaxation area, so that all Spirit cruisers can now use vs (on our maiden voyage in Jan) only paying spa customers could use. In January, the door to the jacuzzi/relaxation area had a paper sign, that firmly stated, "For Spa paying guests only." Hope this is a (needed change) but with the Spirit's tiny fitness/aerobics room (on our voyage), the fitness instructor--most often--conducted pilates classes (when there are more than 5 students) in the relaxation area.

Judy, yes, 4pm daily for pilates..but since I jogged/swam in the early a.m did not make it to the fitness facility, so can't say about a.m. class time in the fitness facility. However, did see the morning walkers led by the fitness instructor on the jogging track about 8 a.m.

I understand that Seabourn on its Odyssey charges a daily and weekly fee to use spa facilities without a treatment. .

There is a charge on the Odyssey for the spa area with a private deck and a heated thallasotherapy pool and heated beds and extra steam/sauna,but there is a steam room and a sauna in the changing rooms,one for Men and one for Women.

John, thanks, sure wish the Spirit's common spa areas were designed this way (Odyssey), as you know--same way the Whisper and Shadow are built. Believe

SS made a conscious decision ($$) to put priority on Spirit pay spa space vs. Spirit common use spa space. :(

Judy, you're very welcome..hoping for the fairest of seas and wonderfully romantic

following seas for ya'lls Silver anniversary on Silversea...just five days away bet

you're very excited...if you get a chance, pls send seamail...best, wes

Thanks for checking. However, something does not compute.

On SS's own blog site <silverspiritblog.com> they say:

"At 8,300 square feet (770 square metres), The Spa aboard Silver Spirit is the largest in our fleet, featuring a beauty salon, fitness centre, nine spa treatment rooms, two sauna rooms and two steam rooms -- plus a ceramic-tiled Thermal Suite."

Note: Two steam rooms (not a unisex room) and a Thermal Suite.

I am fairly certain that there is a charge for use of these facilities. I am disappointed that the SS Information Desk was less-than-forthcoming. I expect better from them.

There are, indeed, two unisex steam rooms - one in the spa proper accessible and free only to those having (paying for) spa services or buying a package to use those facilities (don't recall the price) and one in the "free" area accessible to anyone near the gym and aerobic studio. We used both on our recent 14 day crossing and never had any problems with crowding. We were the only ones there. (The ship was not full due to volcano - we had 360 people)

Hopefully a recent Spirit cruiser will chime in, but maybe on the Spirit they changed availability/use of the third jacuzzi (on deck six, aft) and associated relaxation area, so that all Spirit cruisers can now use vs (on our maiden voyage in Jan) only paying spa customers could use. In January, the door to the jacuzzi/relaxation area had a paper sign, that firmly stated, "For Spa paying guests only." Hope this is a (needed change) but with the Spirit's tiny fitness/aerobics room (on our voyage), the fitness instructor--most often--conducted pilates classes (when there are more than 5 students) in the relaxation area.

The deck 6 jacuzzi/relaxation area was accessible from the gym - no sign to the contrary. I often went out there after using the treadmill to cool off. I never saw pilates held out there and I was often in the gym at 4 pm.

I never saw pilates held out there and I was often in the gym at 4 pm.

Hi Patty

Glad u had a great time. Do u recall if there were any yoga classes scheduled?

Thankx

Jennifer

On the most recent Southampton-Barcelona cruise, the small Steam room was "under construction" and not useable. The big one badly smelled of sewage and appeared to be far too hot. There seemed to be no one in charge for either the steamrooms or the saunas (the small sauna was not hot, the "bigger" one often was no longer on later in the afternoon). One helpful Spa attendant went to check the temperature of the steam room (48 Centigrade) and confirmed that "there is a problem with the smell, we are spraying some oils in the morning, but it does not help..."

The "huge" spa area is entirely due to a multiplex of massage rooms, but don't expect to stretch out in the sauna ( you can not!), nor any hooks to hang your towels/bathrobe in the "Thermal Suite". What were the people thinking who "designed" :rolleyes: this area...???

Yes, when I took a tour while on the maiden voyage (Barcelona-Lisbon) in December, it took me about 14 seconds to assess the terrible design of what could have been a fabulous spa facility. You really have to wonder why they didn't get normal passengers - who have actually used a spa - to take a look at the plans before they proceeded to build it out. Really unbelievable!

Archived