Hot Sun: Sun Block/Suntan Lotion

For those of you flying to FL (or somewhere sunny to board), you will not be able to take your big container of sunscreen in your "hand-carry" luggage. If you're going from the airport directly to the ship, you may not have the time or ability to rummage through your luggage to find the sunscreen before handing it off to the porters for delivery (many hours later) to your cabin. So bring a small (3 OZ or less) container with you on the flight (in your ziplock baggie!) to apply before sitting out on deck with that fancy drink as you wait for sailaway.

Another vote for Rash Guards or other type of SPF shirt. My kids and husband wear them at all times on sunny vacations. There is nothing worse than a sunburned child (or adult really). It can really ruin your vacation. There are so many different kinds- sleeves, high neck, low neck etc. I even put sun block on them under the shirts before we head out in the am. Never have they had a sun burn on the parts covered by these shirts.

Australian Gold is the best!! Buy it online though, it can be costly on the ship. Not sticky and it works great!

Also, use it at all times on a cruise, even if it's overcast!! Some fail to do this, thinking that it's to cloudy, WRONG!! You will burn, I've seen this on EVERY cruise, burnt people and miserable the rest of their cruise!! PROTECT yourself! I'd start with at LEAST a 30 and work your way down during the cruise as you tan. I have a pool, so I consider myself a pro, lol. But definately start high and work your way down.

Another critical item to have is a hat with SPF material. A friend working in Arizona short term wore his typical baseball cap thinking he'd be protected. He said a day in the hot Arizona desert burned his scalp painfully THROUGH the ball cap.

Look for a product that specifically states it 30 SPF or more.

Also, most people don't read the direction on the bottle of sunblock which directs you to apply it 30 minutes before exposure. Apply the spray stuff in your shower before you get dressed

Whatever sunscreen you decide to buy, try it before you leave home. Getting a sunburn on vacation is bad but having an allergic reaction to your sunscreen will be worse. I am allergic to most sunscreens out there and end up with a very itchy, raised rash that only goes away with steroids. Coppertone Water Babies or Neutragena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch are great for people who have skin sensitivities and highly recommended by my dermatologist. We have had allergic reactions to Bull Frog, No Ad and Banana Boat.

No, you really should have a hat too. You can get a nasty sunburn on your scalp if you part your hair and the brim helps to protect the top of your ears and neck where many melanomas start.

Try hats with different brim widths and different shaped crowns till you find one that is flattering. Some brims have a small upturn at the outer edge which also affects how it will look on someone. Avoid baseball caps if you can as they don't provide protection of the ears and neck. If possible, try on hats in front of a full length mirror as sometimes a hat that looks 'big and dumb looking on your head' is actually in proportion to your body, shoulder width and height. (And sometimes it just becomes more obvious that it really is 'big and dumb looking' and that you have to keep looking. ;))

Thanks for the expert advice, Cantw8togo! I wasn't looking at hats in a full mirror...will need to try again....

Just another cost cutting suggestion. One of the best sunscreens I've found is No-Ad. And trust me, I go through about 1 bottle a month. I wear No-Ad spf 30 when I go boating and I have yet to burn, even after spending hours in the water (re-apply after drying off, of course).

Sunscreen needs to be applied 30 mins. BEFORE you go into the sun, and you need at least 1 full ounce for each person, and it needs to be re-applied every 2 hours....if you sweat and towel off, you've destroyed the "blocking" ability of the sunscreen.

Most folks don't use enough, or apply frequently enough....

Neutrogena, Ultra Sheer, Dry-Touch sunblock! I'm a red head with fair skin. I hate (really, really hate) to smell like suntan lotion and to feel greasy. I've lived in Florida my entire life and have to take precautions... always. This is the best stuff I've found! I don't leave home without it. Everyone I've recommended this product to, loves it...it's the fact that it really is dry to the touch, once applied and it works perfectly.

I am as white as it gets (my grandfather is from Norway :)). I go from white to red to white. No in between. I was in a beach town Costa Rica for a month, and I did very well with Coppertone Sport SPF 50. Waterproof is key.

I will add a side note... put it on naked. I say this so that you can be sure to get the lines covered near your bathing suit/shirt. I went on a three hour boat ride, and I ended up with second degree burns on the area of my back around my bathing suit line. I missed it because I put my block on after I was dressed, and my suit shifted. I have scars now on my lower back :(.

I like the clear spray kind....most brands have a "cooling mist" version (I know Neutrogena does). I also like Banana Boat spray. Hawaiian Tropic has a great spray with vitamins A, C and E, but it's harder to find.

Remember not to spray in your face...spray on your hands and rub on your face.

Also, don't forget the sunblock lip-balm for your lips.

All the brand come in a variety of SPFs. If you don't have a base tan, start with the highest SPF (70+) and work your way down. Remember to reapply every 2 hours or so.

Use a skin lotion with vitamins A, C and E the night before, as well as after sun exposure to reduce damage from oxidation.

I'm not a doctor, but I did lifeguard for a decade, so I think I can offer some personal advice to help.

Coppertone, Banana Boat and Hawaiian Tropic are all very popular, reliable brands of sunscreen. I like the smell of the latter two, but Coppertone Spectra has kept the sun at bay for me for years. I also recommend the continuous spray bottles because you don't have to rub it in and don't miss spots. When we are going out and about (we live in Cali), my wife and I dry off from the shower, then spray the sunscreen before getting dressed. This ensures good coverage and no burn spots.

One sunscreen I will add information about is Aloe Gator. It's rough on your skin (if you are at all prone to acne or skin rashes, it's not for you) but it lasts for more than 6 hours without washing off in the water (at least in my experience). In fact, it doesn't wash off until you use soap and warm water.

Since you aren't used to the sun, I will simply echo what others have said here-don't buy more than SPF 45 unless it's the same price, and reapply every hour or so.

2 cans of Sport (sweatproof) pressurized spray from Coppertone, Bananaboat, or Hawaiian Tropic in an SPF 50+ (they are easy and not greasy) and a bottle of 100% Aloe lotion, in case you over do it . Make sure they filter both UVA and UVB rays. Don't roast in the middle of the day. The sun in the tropics is intense. Drink plenty of liquids. Go inside and cool off often. And have fun! My DW got a really bad case of alcohol induced sunburn...so be careful! :)

I just back yesterday from a cruise. We bought the Wal-Mart equate waterproof 50 spf sunscreen and I was sooooo surprised by how well it worked. It worked too well - I don't even look like I got back from a cruise to the Caribbean! I usually use Coppertone sport sunscreen but I was cheap and bought the $5 Wal-Mart sunscreen. We were in the water every day of our trip and often only applied it once a day and it still did an amazing job. I am very pleasantly surprised.

take it from another Illinoisian do not listen to these people teling you to reapply every 2 hours. that sun down there is 10x worse than the taste of Chicago in July. I have to reapply every 45 min-1 hr. trust me on this. Also dont mis the tops of your ears and wear a non petroleum lip product with spf!

take it from another Illinoisian do not listen to these people teling you to reapply every 2 hours. that sun down there is 10x worse than the taste of Chicago in July. I have to reapply every 45 min-1 hr. trust me on this. Also dont mis the tops of your ears and wear a non petroleum lip product with spf!

I agree!! I reapply every 15 minutes or so when laying out... Or walking about.. perspiration (sweat!) dilutes it! You might end up with a tan/burn and look like a zebra (cuz of streaks!)!

Thanks...but what do you mean by non-petroleum? The most we will be in the sun with be on island excursions and ours don't include any beaches...we are not beach/pool people.

Thanks...but what do you mean by non-petroleum? The most we will be in the sun with be on island excursions and ours don't include any beaches...we are not beach/pool people.

I also prefer products that do not contain petrolatum. For me it is just a personal preference.

You can find lip balms with SPF and without petroleum by products. Sunburned lips can be very uncomfortable.

Just another cost cutting suggestion. One of the best sunscreens I've found is No-Ad. And trust me, I go through about 1 bottle a month. I wear No-Ad spf 30 when I go boating and I have yet to burn, even after spending hours in the water (re-apply after drying off, of course).

Do you know what stores sell No-ad? I've seen it and bought it but can't remember where.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Mary Kay sunscreen. We are long-time wakeboarders, spending literally hours a week in the sun over the years. We have tried every sunscreen out there. We found that Mary Kay (SPF30) is the best there is. It is a good moisturizer, lasts a long time, and, most importantly, it works.

You were also concerned about getting a little tan. If you use the Mary Kay and don't reapply every 30 minutes or so (say, maybe an hour), you can get a little color. But I'm not sure that's necessarily safe. Probably better to go with a self-tanner or Mystic before leaving on your vacation.

Keep in mind that any sunscreen has an expiration date. It is not going to work after that date. And, regardless of date, don't use anything that is over a year old. It probably won't work.

Someone mentioned lip balm - also a must.

Finally, you need a good after-sun treatment. We are pleased with the Mary Kay after-sun gel, but I'm sure there are others just as good out there - even aloe. We just buy the MK stuff because it's convenient to buy it all at once. It's also very refreshing.

By the way, I don't think either of these (sunscreen or after-sun gel) has a noticeable scent.

I also agree on the rash guard issue. We wear them all the time. Especially if we are in the sun after getting a little pink.

Enjoy and take care of your skin!

...I think this is as important as using 45 SPF!! Hitting the Caribbean Summer Sun with totally pale inside skin is asking for trouble. Two or three very short sessions (10 minutes) in a tanning booth will help immensely. Then as others have posted, apply the highest SPF (at least 30...45 best...higher needless) liberally and often ALL OVER. Frankly, it gets old, but it will guarantee no burn; and you will get a nice tan safely.

Mitch

Archived