Will Royal follow Carnival's new banned item list?

Apparently Carnival has just announced a new list of banned items, which says they MAY confiscate various items including flat irons, hair dryers, extension cords and power strips IF they deem them to be a fire hazard. However, the policy is vague on what constitutes a hazard. Can't help but wonder if Royal will soon follow suit. :rolleyes:

I saw cameras, laptops, cell phones, and ipods on that banned list also. If RC considers banning cameras and tries to take mine, I can assure you that they will lose my business forever. One the reasons that I travel is to take photos so I can look at them later and remember the experience.

Apparently Carnival has just announced a new list of banned items, which says they MAY confiscate various items including flat irons, hair dryers, extension cords and power strips IF they deem them to be a fire hazard. However, the policy is vague on what constitutes a hazard. Can't help but wonder if Royal will soon follow suit. :rolleyes:

Most of these items are on the banned list for most cruise companies already.

Do you have a link that you can post?

Im highly interested since I sail both lines frequently.

Here is the list of Carnival's restricted items.

I'm not sure where laptops and such appeared as restricted items. Specifically, under "Miscellaneous Concerns", it does say:

Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

It is listed in the FAQ section of the Carnival website - Are there restrictions on what we bring aboard?

This section has been added to the bottom of the normal list.

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Link to CC News article on the restricted items: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3869

However, the revised instructions are distinctly unclear about daily-use items cruise travelers are used to taking onboard, such as personal grooming devices (hair dryers, straighteners and curlers), electronics (cell phones, cameras, laptops) and electrical devices (fans, power strips, extension cords). According to the new documentation, these are "allowed onboard when used with proper caution" yet if the aforementioned items "are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise."

Are they? I had never heard of this before. I always travel with a flat iron/curling iron and I know tons of people bring either extension cords or power strips and I have never heard of there being any issue.

Much ado about nothing. Carnival's list when read closely is basically the same as RCI's. Flat irons and hair dryers are OK. RCI has a policy, whether written or not, that they will remove power strips, extension cords deemed hazardous.

I read the Carnival list and didn't see anything that I wouldn't expect to see. It's very similar to RCI for that matter. Laptops, cameras, blow dryers, etc. aren't banned - only mentioned as cause for concern. That's a far cry from being prohibited. I would think if the cords are frayed, they may be confiscated. Nothing on the list would have me concerned.

I have a cruise with Carnival booked - I sent email when I read that here. Yes power strips, extension cords, fans, etc are BANNED. They put the rest in the same category - a very vague category that gives them the right to take anyting electronic

Here is some of the exhange:

Received: 5/17/10 1:58:00 PM MDT

To: "Guest Solutions Support (CCL)" <guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com>

Subject: Re: Existing Individual Reservation

I am reading some rather disturbing news on cruise critic.

That curling irons, cellphones, laptops, fans, power strips, etc are being confiscated and not allowed to be brought aboard.

I will cancel my cruise and never cruise with Carnival if they try to take my cellphone (I have children at home) or my curling iron (I am on vacation but do my hair) or some of my other electronics. This is RIDICULOUS.

From them:

In regards to your concerns, Cell phones, laptops and curling irons are not prohibited items house hold fans and power strips are. Please see the information below.

Miscellaneous Concerns:

· Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

· Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

· Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

ME TO THEM

To: Guest Solutions Support

Sent: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:21:10 +0000 (UTC)

Subject: Re: Existing Individual Reservation <<#edited out#>>

What you link below puts ALL these items in the same category - can be used with caution and may be confiscated. Which means some random security person can confiscate ANY of your electronic personal property - which is a contradiction to what you stated. And which IS what is being reported on cruise critic - random confiscations of personal property - even bags being broken into without the passenger present.

There is only a single plug in a cabin - without a power strip you can't even charge your cellphone and your camera when you sleep.

My partner uses a CPAP machine - that in itself requires the plug and an extension cord to reach the bed

Our one other frequent travel partner has minor sleep apnea and sleeps with a small fan blowing in his face and always has - he's done over 50 cruises on various lines and I finally convinced him to try Carnival and now you're going to tell a 55 year old man that he can't have his fan?

If this has not been officially resolved prior to final payment date and widely reported - I will have to cancel the trip and return to Royal Caribbean.

Please send this matter up to your supervisor.

I read the Carnival list and didn't see anything that I wouldn't expect to see. It's very similar to RCI for that matter. Laptops, cameras, blow dryers, etc. aren't banned - only mentioned as cause for concern. That's a far cry from being prohibited. I would think if the cords are frayed, they may be confiscated. Nothing on the list would have me concerned.

If I had to guess, a multi-outlet power tap that did not have a circuit breaker would be taken away; something with a circuit breaker that would trip if overloaded would be fine.

If you have an extension cord with multiple outlets with no breaker or fuse you've got a fire hazard.

We also spoke to someone in CCL and they said this stems from overuse of the power strips. They said it is not good for the ships electrical system when someone has 5 or 6 things plugged into their power strips...multiply this by MANY cabins and I can see how it can hurt the electrical system.

As far as curling irons and flat irons, this stemmed from someone on one of the ships a few months ago that left their flat iron on and lying on the bed...it actually burned the sheets...the cabin steward called someone and they removed it as they did not want to take the chance this girl does it again.

They will confiscate them if they are in poor condition, frayed cords, etc and they can remove them at any point during the cruise if it is found that they are being misused...leaving hot things on and lying around...

I don't think it will happen very often but like they said, they have to put it in writing to be able to do it when they need to.

Actually, RC does not currently ban any of the items I listed (flat irons, hair dryers, extension cords, power strips), although they do ban other things on the Carnival list like ammunition, knives, etc.

It is listed in the FAQ section of the Carnival website - Are there restrictions on what we bring aboard?

This section has been added to the bottom of the normal list.

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

That's it. Earlier today there was a headline story about it on the main Cruise Critic page but now it's not there.

They will confiscate them if they are in poor condition, frayed cords, etc and they can remove them at any point during the cruise if it is found that they are being misused...leaving hot things on and lying around...

I don't think it will happen very often but like they said, they have to put it in writing to be able to do it when they need to.

That's my take on it too. Unfortunately for most, when a few do something stupid (leave a flat iron on leave it on the bed), then the companies have to go back make their policies very, very specific as to what they MAY do IF circumstances warrant. Otherwise, someone would say, "Well you never told me I couldn't bring my ancient fan with a frayed, deteriorating cord that smokes if it runs too long on board with me, so how dare you take it from me!" :D

Thought this was interesting in light of previous thread floating around about someone wanting to bring a guitar with...

Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance

The phrase "used with proper caution" sounds like the the old Montana highway speed limit "none, as long as reasonable and prudent." If you had an accident you weren't. In the cruise line case if something goes wrong you would be automatically negligent. Definitely a blame deflection strategy.

Thought this was interesting in light of previous thread floating around about someone wanting to bring a guitar with...

The phrase "used with proper caution" sounds like the the old Montana highway speed limit "none, as long as reasonable and prudent." If you had an accident you weren't. In the cruise line case if something goes wrong you would be automatically negligent. Definitely a blame deflection strategy.

Can't blame them for using a blame deflection strategy...al anyone want to do is sue people for quick, easy money.

I saw cameras, laptops, cell phones, and ipods on that banned list also. If RC considers banning cameras and tries to take mine, I can assure you that they will lose my business forever. One the reasons that I travel is to take photos so I can look at them later and remember the experience.

They were not on the list.Who are you kidding?

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faqs/default.aspx?faq=luggage+and+valuables#q-217

Are there restrictions on what we can bring aboard?

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (i.e., non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (i.e., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (i.e., detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (i.e., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Metal detectors

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates.

They were not on the list.Who are you kidding?

Cameras and cell phones were mentioned on the Cruise Critic article. They were listed under the area of what items Carnival has the right to take, or even destroy. After some backlash, Carnival cleared it up. They are not items that will be taken unless they, somehow, pose a safety hazard.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3869

Archived