Heathrow to Trafalgar Square

We arrive at Heathrow around noon, and need to get to our hotel in Trafalgar Square. It looks like a reasonable option is to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then grab a taxi to Trafalgar. Are we off base? Are taxis readily available at Paddington? What is the approx cost fo a taxi from Paddington to Trafalgar Square? Should we purchase our Express tickets in advance (and if so, how long does it take to get through Customs at Heathrow)?

A huge thanks to all on these boards, you've been an invaluable help during the planning process (I second the thanks extended to John Bull).

Julie

We arrive at Heathrow around noon, and need to get to our hotel in Trafalgar Square. It looks like a reasonable option is to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then grab a taxi to Trafalgar. Are we off base? Are taxis readily available at Paddington? What is the approx cost fo a taxi from Paddington to Trafalgar Square? Should we purchase our Express tickets in advance (and if so, how long does it take to get through Customs at Heathrow)?

A huge thanks to all on these boards, you've been an invaluable help during the planning process (I second the thanks extended to John Bull).

Julie

Perfectly reasonable. No need to purchase tickets in advance, just buy at the station. When you get to Paddington, walk towards the main concourse and exit out the door to your right - there's a taxi line there, always plenty waiting.

Time for customs at LHR is entirely dependent on the number of flights arriving at that time, although it's never taken me very long (max. 20 minutes or so).

I am doing this on June 28 and can provide details via email if you are traveling after that date.

To me, reasonalb is not 15 quid or whatever on HEX to save a few minutes....reasonable is the tube...a few stairs and one change at Picadilly to the Bakerloo line to Charing Cross....can't beat the price (£2.20 on an oyster card off peak).....

To me, reasonalb is not 15 quid or whatever on HEX to save a few minutes....reasonable is the tube...a few stairs and one change at Picadilly to the Bakerloo line to Charing Cross....can't beat the price (£2.20 on an oyster card off peak).....

As long as the tube route is well thought out, to avoid the stairs and that you don't have too many bags. IE you must be able to handle all of your bags by yourself in one trip. Then the tube is great and cheap. We have used it several times with luggage, but we limit ourselves to one rolling bag each and a backpack. Many people travelling on a cruise will have two rolling bags and a small carry-on bag, and with all of that, I would consider spending real money and taking a cab or car. JMHO.

jc

I am doing this on June 28 and can provide details via email if you are traveling after that date.

rjmaype, I would be very grateful for any details. We arrive in London on Jul 4.

I agree that the Tube would have been the cheapest option, but then my husband pointed out that we would have to get the bags through a couple of transfers, and it wasn't quite so attractive. Also, I've never been to England/London, and it's nice to get an idea of a place from above ground.

I have thought about a car as well. We went to Paris and northern Italy on our honeymoon, and we took public transportation into Paris and Venice (imagine my fear of the one foot gap from the dock to the vaporetto, loaded down with two suitcases). We took private transportation back to the airports, which should tell how well the public option went. <grin>

How much should we expect to pay for a private car or taxi from LHR to Trafalgar?

Thanks all for your help, it really is invaluable.

Julie

When you get to Paddington, walk towards the main concourse and exit out the door to your right - there's a taxi line there, always plenty waiting.
Just to add to this: You will see signs for taxis when you get to Paddington, and they will point you to the right when you reach the head of the platform and get onto the concourse. However, the official signs then direct you to turn right again. If you want the shortcut, which can sometimes save you a bit of walking (but not always - it depends on the length of the taxi queue), ignore the second sign. Continue straight ahead and go through the little corridor almost directly ahead of you that's marked as an exit and also to the ladies' toilets. When you emerge at the other end of the corridor, you are practically at the head of the taxi queue.

The reason that the official signs point you to the right again is to make you walk beyond the far end of the taxi queue and then to join it from the rear. But if the queue is short, you end up unnecessarily doing a big U-shaped loop.

Time for customs at LHR is entirely dependent on the number of flights arriving at that time, although it's never taken me very long (max. 20 minutes or so).
As a guide, most passengers can expect to exit from Customs within 45-60 minutes of their aircraft stopping at the gate. But the time can differ between terminals, simply because of their physical layout and baggage handling equipment.

Thanks all. Since a private car is only £40, and the Express fare for two would be £30 plus cab, we've decided to go with the car. I feel better about my decision after getting your input. Julie S.

Excellent choice and decision. The underground in London is great, but with luggage after a long flight, it is nice to be driven directly to your hotel. Here's a little visual preview for what you will enjoy at Trafalgar Square. Great, handy location.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

London’s Trafalgar Square is a wonderful, central gathering place for people. The Westminster, “Big Ben” Tower is shown in the background. At the center of London, this famed Square has Nelson’s Column with the four lions and has the National Gallery overlooking it:

LondonTrSqTower.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Almost exactly two years today we arrived in London and took a taxi to our hotel in Trafalgar Square - if memory serves me correctly it was about 60 GBP which was cheaper than the car service we had hired but failed to show up to pick us up! It was much easier than schlepping suitcases around trains, tubes, etc. FYI - staying at Trafalgar Square is marvellous, we walked everywhere. There is a hop on/off bus tour that stops right there and is a really great way to see the sites.

Please let us know what private car service you used and how it was.

Have a wonderful stay in London.

Check out http://www.justairports.com and http://www.simplyairports.co.uk. You need to know the 2 first letters and number of you hote's postal codel to get a quote, ex: our hotel in Victoria area is SW1. We used Justairports last year and will be using again this July.

• 11 months later...

Archived