bridge tour

I searched to see if the Navigator still offers tours of the bridge, but I couldn't find anything recent. We last sailed on the Nav. 4 years ago and attended the bridge tour; my husband would like to do this again on our April 2011 cruise. Does anyone know if this is still offered? Do we need to sign up for it in advance, or wait until we are on board? Thanks!:)

on our march 2010 crossing, there wasn't a bridge tour offered (well, not to our knowledge) - in it's place was televised tour, with the Captain showing the different areas and equipment from the bridge - not the same as actually touring in person, but interesting nonetheless -

I haven't sailed Regent (yet) but from my experience on Oceania it seems that bridge tours are at the discretion of the Captain. If he is OK with them, then requesting a tour with Reception or the Concierge works. If he's not OK with them, then "security concerns" are cited.

We were on the Regatta TA Nov 2008 and were told no one was allowed on the bridge due to secuirty concerns. On the Regatta TA in March, no problem. Several groups did tours.

So I guess I'll just keep checking each time I'm on board. I'm somewhat of a techno-geek and would really find such a tour interesting. . .

Wonder if that's the sort of thing a butler could help influence??

In my experience Bridge tours are offered, regularly, on trans-Atlantic crossings. Certainly that was the case on the Voyager and the Navigator. Otherwise, like for a Galley Tour, ask Reception or if you have a Butler, ask him. As someone said, some captains are more comfortable with Bridge tours than others...but then the Captain is not on the Bridge when the tour is offered!! so I don't know why they don't routinely offer one on a sea day??

I searched to see if the Navigator still offers tours of the bridge, but I couldn't find anything recent. We last sailed on the Nav. 4 years ago and attended the bridge tour; my husband would like to do this again on our April 2011 cruise. Does anyone know if this is still offered? Do we need to sign up for it in advance, or wait until we are on board? Thanks!:)

FWIW

On another line--the bridge tours had been suspended because of security--

that said

--the high pts/high level members of the frequent cruisers club were always getting bridge tours and invites to the Captains Table etc.

On the Voyager WC, Capt Dag (in good weather) routinely opened the bridge between 1-3 p.m. No actual tour, you could just wander around and ask questions of any of the personnel on the bridge. Capt. Mario opened it four an hour a couple of sea day afternoons during the last 28 days of the WC. So from my experience, it's the captain's discretion.

Hi - on Navigator last year Monte Carlo to Istanbul - we were fortunate enough to have dinner with the Chief Engineer and the Executive Consiege (sp??) a charming lady called Martha, and she asked us and the rest of our table if we would like a private bridge tour, which she organised on the sail out from Corfu (I think).

The Captain (not Dag) was very hospitable, and we were made to feel extremely welcome by both him and the rest of the crew - they answered all of our questions and at no time did we feel any pressure to leave - stopping up there for over an hour, and being shown how everything works. My 14 year old son, husband and I were extremely impressed and learnt loads.

So my suggestion is go and have a chat with the Exec Consierge - they are there to help (and if its Martha, say Chris, Dee and Jack say hi!)

Archived