Super bummed with the upgrade fairy!!!

QueenYaYah

Sailing May 30, 2010 on the Oosterdam. I purchased a SY Guar. thinking that I would be happy with anything from this level up as long as I didn't get the ADA cabins. Well, I guess that I don't know myself as well as I thought. I did get an upgrade - first one ever - from the SY cat. to SS cat. cabin #8083! And I'm grateful for the upgrade, I was just really hoping that I would get upgraded to a SC - I know, me and everyone else. My biggest disappointment is that cabin #SS8083 is directly above the lifeboats!!! We sailed on the Zuiderdam back in 2006 and were in cabin #5101 - our view if we looked down just a bit was the top of the lifeboat (we even had a crew member pop up from one and he could see into our cabin). I know that I'm 4 decks above the lifeboats but if they had just given me 2 cabins to the left or right, but no, I'm dead center of the ***boat!

So, two questions - 1st, does anyone have experience with this cabin in particular? And 2nd, if I called HAL what are the odds of getting a different cabin.

I did call to see if once you had a cabin # was your room assignment a done deal - Hal lady said that "there was always a possibility for your cabin to be changed again" Has this happened to anyone else?

Sorry for the long post - any thoughts, advice or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

If you specifically wanted a certain cabin or type of cabin, you should have picked that one when you bought your ticket instead of a guarantee. On a popular cruise destination you usually don't get upgraded up to the next level. We take the bottom of the level and get upgraded within the level. Never have had a change once we get a room number but it can happen I guess. Just look up and out!!:)

We sailed on the Oosterdam in 2009 and booked a Cat. SS guarantee thinking the same as you, that we might get upgraded to a deluxe suite. Unfortunately, we got what we booked....a Cat. SS. Don't recall the cabin #, but we were happy with it.

Yes, I know - I've always picked my cabin before. And please understand; I really didn't expect to be bumped from superior suite to deluxe suite, I figured that I would get what I paid for and I was happy with that. However after having the crew member pop his head up and look directly into our cabin as I just coming from the shower with just a towel on my head on our last cruise to Alaska, I'm sure you can understand my adversion to being above the lifeboat - whether it's 1 deck or 4 decks.

Even if you had been upgraded to the best Deluxe Veranda Suite (SA) they are all above the lifeboats too, and they’re one deck below you. I don’t see how moving a couple of cabins to either side would help much either as you suggest - the gap between the lifeboats is filled by the davit arms to you won’t have a view past them. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all – and there’s no way a crew member on one of those lifeboats will be able to see onto your veranda much the less into your cabin.

It’s a cruise – enjoy it!

Bruce

Yes, I know - I've always picked my cabin before. And please understand; I really didn't expect to be bumped from superior suite to deluxe suite, I figured that I would get what I paid for and I was happy with that. However after having the crew member pop his head up and look directly into our cabin as I just coming from the shower with just a towel on my head on our last cruise to Alaska, I'm sure you can understand my adversion to being above the lifeboat - whether it's 1 deck or 4 decks.

You think a crew memeber could pop up 4 decks and look in your cabin?

I think you would have been unhappy if you got upgraded to a SB on Deck 6, as the lifeboats are a little (about 2 decks) below you.

When you book Guar you take what you get. It would seem, in the future, you need to book the exact cabin you want, to avoid being disappointed.

We have had a VE (Deck 5) on Oosterdam, which was directly above the lifeboats. The crewman who was able to stand on top of the lifeboat and look into your cabin must have been VERY tall. The tops of the lifeboats were a good six feet or so below the bottom of our balcony. We were in an SY on Noordam, (Deck 7) which was also above the lifeboats. Unless you spend all your time standing at the rail and looking down, you'll never notice them at all. Enjoy your cruise.

That will have to be one tall crew member. Not even the Dutch staff are that tall. :rolleyes:

You rolled the dice...

Sailing May 30, 2010 on the Oosterdam. I purchased a SY Guar. thinking that I would be happy with anything from this level up as long as I didn't get the ADA cabins. Well, I guess that I don't know myself as well as I thought. I did get an upgrade - first one ever - from the SY cat. to SS cat. cabin #8083! And I'm grateful for the upgrade, I was just really hoping that I would get upgraded to a SC - I know, me and everyone else. My biggest disappointment is that cabin #SS8083 is directly above the lifeboats!!! We sailed on the Zuiderdam back in 2006 and were in cabin #5101 - our view if we looked down just a bit was the top of the lifeboat (we even had a crew member pop up from one and he could see into our cabin). I know that I'm 4 decks above the lifeboats but if they had just given me 2 cabins to the left or right, but no, I'm dead center of the ***boat!

So, two questions - 1st, does anyone have experience with this cabin in particular? And 2nd, if I called HAL what are the odds of getting a different cabin.

I did call to see if once you had a cabin # was your room assignment a done deal - Hal lady said that "there was always a possibility for your cabin to be changed again" Has this happened to anyone else?

Sorry for the long post - any thoughts, advice or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

There are a lot of shallow threads on this board, however this one sets a new standard.

I'm wondering if the OP was offered an upsell to SA/SB/SC before she was given the SS upgrade. I had an SS guarantee also and took the advice of the wiser people on this list. I went ahead and paid for the SC upgrade so I wouldn't have to wonder.

There's been numerous threads over the years about upgrades to the Deluxe Verandah categories- PS, S, SA, SB, SC. Because free upgrades to these categories include many amenites, not just a location change, which Dlx Verandah pax have paid a lot of money for, some have felt this kind of upgrade with no additional payment by the pax receiving the upgrade really isn't 'fair' to those who paid in full for those perks. As one who always books an S or SA, depending on ship, I'm really not sure how I feel about this.

... if I called HAL what are the odds of getting a different cabin.
Probably good, if you want to pay for an upsell to a SA/SB/SC. But as others have said, would the locations of those have made you any happier?

It has happened, but most free upgrades are within the same general class - VH/VF to VA, etc - and not very many cross from Superior to Deluxe.

I'm on the same sailing, 5/30 "O" and booked a GTD VE and was upgraded to VA (obv. couldn't afford a suite!). I'm thrilled! I did however check to see about an upsell and HAL kindly told me the ship was FULL, so I doubt any cabin changes.

My thought is, if you can afford a suite catagory......then book a specific cabin! GTD's are always a risk. Be happy with what you've got and go with the flow!!!

Enjoy Alaska!

I did however check to see about an upsell and HAL kindly told me the ship was FULL, so I doubt any cabin changes.

Just because a ship is "full" does not mean that all cabin assignments are fixed. It simply means that the maximum capacity of the ship has been reached. Lower levels of each class are always over-sold with guarantees, and people are being shuffled up the ladder through upsells and upgrades right up until the final days before sailing ... some even on embarkation day.

Just because a ship is "full" does not mean that all cabin assignments are fixed. It simply means that the maximum capacity of the ship has been reached. Lower levels of each class are always over-sold with guarantees, and people are being shuffled up the ladder through upsells and upgrades right up until the final days before sailing ... some even on embarkation day.

I was told the same thing when I asked for an upsell on my cruise on the Oosterdam in April. I was told the ship was full and no upsells were available. I think the OP was lucky. I booked a K and got a K. This is only the second time this has happened. Before I get flamed I want to say I was very happy with my cabin. It was really quiet and that is one of the most important things to me.

Archived