TSA stole my toothbrush!!!!!!!!

pcur

For pity's sake, it seems the TSA folks are extra, super-duper vigilant these days because (I guess) of recent air "events". If you put anything in your checked luggage that even vaguely resembles something that someone in their wildest imagination can use for a bomb (like something with a battery in it, or a clock mechinism)...............it probably won't make it home with you :eek:

I packed my battery toothbrush last coming home recently from a post-cruise trip to MO to move my mother-in-law, and the toothbrush wasn't next to the charger. It has two D batteries in it and they took it out of my suitcase.

So, I guess I keep it in my carry-on so I can be there in person when they inspect it.

I want us all to be safe, so I'm not saying they shouldn't have done this, just dumb me for not realizing how far they would take the "if it's looks like a battery thingy, take it out" mentality.

Otherwise, the cruise was great; the MIL wasn't!!! :D

I don't live in the US any longer, but I fly there often, and as soon as I arrive in an American airport the TSA gets on my nerves. They are unecessarily unpleasant about everything. They are full of attitude, but they are not very attentive to what's going on. I think they hire all the wrong people. They need folks who are going to be hyper attentive to very repetitive tasks and block out distractions. Maye people who have the Aspberger syndrome? I took several flights within the US with a Letherman in my purse. It was a mistake on my part, I keep it in a zipped pocket that I never use, so I forgot it was there. But the TSA didn't see it with all the scowling going on.

When I travel, I make sure I take my electric toothbrush as a carry-on.

I last thing I want is for it to turn on during handling and TSA is forced to detonate my luggage on the tarmac!

I had no idea.....

Thanks OP for posting this thread....

I've arrived at my destination once to find the toothbrush had completely run out..... and another time I could hear it running before we left home and had to repack......

For pity's sake, it seems the TSA folks are extra, super-duper vigilant these days because (I guess) of recent air "events". If you put anything in your checked luggage that even vaguely resembles something that someone in their wildest imagination can use for a bomb (like something with a battery in it, or a clock mechinism)...............it probably won't make it home with you :eek:

I packed my battery toothbrush last coming home recently from a post-cruise trip to MO to move my mother-in-law, and the toothbrush wasn't next to the charger. It has two D batteries in it and they took it out of my suitcase.

So, I guess I keep it in my carry-on so I can be there in person when they inspect it.

I want us all to be safe, so I'm not saying they shouldn't have done this, just dumb me for not realizing how far they would take the "if it's looks like a battery thingy, take it out" mentality.

Otherwise, the cruise was great; the MIL wasn't!!! :D

Took your toothbrush! What's next...a cavity search:eek:

Sorry...the devil made me say it:D

I had no idea.....

Thanks OP for posting this thread....

I've arrived at my destination once to find the toothbrush had completely run out..... and another time I could hear it running before we left home and had to repack......

We were going through security when the person in front of us was asked to open their suitcase. Apparently the battery powered device in the luggage turned on inadvertently. After reluctantly opening the luggage, the blushing woman turned off the device, and closed the suitcase.

Remember, the shoe bomber is the reason we take off our shoes before going through security.

And now we have the underwear bomber.:eek:

I don't live in the US any longer, but I fly there often, and as soon as I arrive in an American airport the TSA gets on my nerves. They are unecessarily unpleasant about everything. They are full of attitude, but they are not very attentive to what's going on. I think they hire all the wrong people. They need folks who are going to be hyper attentive to very repetitive tasks and block out distractions.

Yep, that and immigration treating you like a criminal if you want to come and spend your hard earned cash in their country, are the two reasons for not coming to the US anymore. German, Dutch, Swiss, etc security is also strict but at least they quitely go about their business without it becoming rediculous. And yes, we have to take off our shoes to and turn on the laptop and throw away the bottled water.

I thought if TSA removed something from your luggage, they had to leave a note about it. My BIL had his shaving cream removed but a note was left inside the suitcase saying aerosal cans were not allowed.

We were going through security when the person in front of us was asked to open their suitcase. Apparently the battery powered device in the luggage turned on inadvertently. After reluctantly opening the luggage, the blushing woman turned off the device, and closed the suitcase.

Remember, the shoe bomber is the reason we take off our shoes before going through security.

And now we have the underwear bomber.:eek:

No need to strip.

Airports are beginning to install the see through body scanners!

Houston's Hobby airport started this month.

Now, THAT'S funny!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

I was surprised, too, and should have figured it out when my MIL told me that coming home to MO from her visit with us last December, she had her alarm clock (old fashioned; probably about 50 years old, too!!) next to something else with a D battery in it. These were in her carry-on, and they stopped her and took EVERYTHING out of her carry-on and inspected those two items very, very carefully. I explained what I said in my first post here about it looking like the mechanisms that they use for bombs.

OK, it makes sense, but we're talking about an 86 year old woman in a wheelchair for pity's sake!!

I find it all slightly amusing.

I replaced my toothbrush yesterday: it cost me $50 plus tax, so it wasn't cheap to replace.

I looked for a note, too, and all I found was a weird luggage tag that I thought was there because my checked bag was at the weight limit.

So, I don't know if there is anything on the TSA web site specific to these items, but I would suggest all battery operated things have the batteries removed in checked luggage (if possible), and it would be better to put them in your carry-on.

Lessons learned..............we keep on adjusting to the shifting sands, don't we?

We found out in late April that we had to move my MIL to live near us here in CA about 1.5 weeks before our Mexican cruise. So, we flew directly to STL after the cruise to help her pack and move. She is now 86.5 years old and what could be referred to as an "organized packrat". She's not a hoarder, but she has many of the characteristics. She is also terrible about making decisions. We had a little over one week to sort, organize, sell, and pack her stuff. She was pretty weak and emotional, so that added to the issues. She had spent the whole winter in her bedroom to save on utility costs, and then her SIL died in late April (she wouldn't move until the 93 yo SIL passed). So, we found her in pretty bad shape: weak from sitting for months, probably short on Vitamin D from no sun, and extremely depressed.

Well, DH and I pulled off a minor miracle in the last two weeks. We made over $6,000 for her by selling her unwanted stuff and car, packed her, he drove the rental truck to CA, I flew her home with me, and we are now unpacking her at the assisted living center. She adores her new home, the food is great, she has to walk to the dining room, and her last years will be good.

DH and I are exhausted. We should have moved her first and then taken the cruise, but it didn't work out that way.

According to TSA rules, all batteries should be in carry on bags, not in checked luggage. Take the batteries out of any item you are packing in checked luggage and it should be ok. :) I know this says "lithum" batteries, I wonder if they are including all batteries now? Oh well, better to do too much and take them out, than not enough and lose an item.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

and here is the list of all other banned items:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#11

[/b]

No need to strip.

You know, you don't have to submit to this screening. You can ask for alternative screening. I just don't like these things and the images they produce.

I thought if TSA removed something from your luggage, they had to leave a note about it. My BIL had his shaving cream removed but a note was left inside the suitcase saying aerosal cans were not allowed.

Look at the TSA list of items and aerosal cans are not on the list. :confused:

We take them all the time, deodorant, shave cream, hair spray, etc.

Put them in checked bags along with the battery toothbrush and never have problems.

I can top this-ive never had issues with battery operated devices being removed regardless of what it was or if the batteries were in or out-however last fall i flew from Colorado Springs to Pheonix for the fall NASCAR race-when i went to shower and change to go to dinner i discover that i had no undergarments-and im quiet sure i packed them before i left home. :eek: it would seem there is a perv working for the TSA in Colorado Springs

When I travel, I make sure I take my electric toothbrush as a carry-on.

I last thing I want is for it to turn on during handling and TSA is forced to detonate my luggage on the tarmac!

LOL. I've had both a razor and a toothbrush turn on in my carry on bag on different occasions and had to open them.

[/b]

No need to strip.

Yeah, I've been through the one in Houston and a couple of other places. Kinda creepy, and slower than the other line with the stand like a ballerina, then wait for someone in the back to clear you.

I wonder if it would help to remove the batteries from all battery-operated devices, and pack them separately?

Not a bad idea if you can remove them; my sonic toothbrush is chargeable and batteries can't be removed. A new screener gal thought it was a vial of liquid in my bag. The more senior guy got a laugh when they put it back through and I guess it was obvious to him because of the toothbrush head.

Also, since there was no note, and nothing wrong with an electric toothbrush, I don't think the TSA took your toothbrush. It was probably in your cabin :)

Last year in Europe (forget where) we were going thru the check point (the third one) and the agents (at random) decided to check my carry-on bag. When they found my alarm clock they took out the AA batteries and said I could not have them. Next, he picked up my flashlight (again with AA batteries) turned it on, looked at the light, turned it back off and put it back in my bag. Apparently I was allowed to keep those batteries. Go figure!!

The incident was so ridiculous and at the same time soooo funny. I had to bite my lip so I would not laugh at how stupid the guy was.

LOL. I've had both a razor and a toothbrush turn on in my carry on bag on different occasions and had to open them.

Yeah, I've been through the one in Houston and a couple of other places. Kinda creepy, and slower than the other line with the stand like a ballerina, then wait for someone in the back to clear you.

Not a bad idea if you can remove them; my sonic toothbrush is chargeable and batteries can't be removed. A new screener gal thought it was a vial of liquid in my bag. The more senior guy got a laugh when they put it back through and I guess it was obvious to him because of the toothbrush head.

Also, since there was no note, and nothing wrong with an electric toothbrush, I don't think the TSA took your toothbrush. It was probably in your cabin :)

While there are dishonest people if every walk of life, my husband is a TSA agent and I highly doubt TSA took your toothbrush. If your luggage was unlocked it could have been discovered and taken by the ship or shore luggage folks or the luggage handlers at the airport. They have your luggage for a lot longer than the TSA has it for screening. JMHO

Archived