what to buy in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau,and ISP

trishs

We are looking for Alaska Brewing Co. glasses, t-shirts. Can you buy these anywhere or do you have to go to the brewery in Juneau?? Do they have a store? (maybe a silly question!!) Where is it located?

Thanks!!!

MNmom

We were really interested in going to the Alaska Brewery in Juneau, but our time there with whale watching won't allow us to do a tour at the brewery, also. My DH loves beer, especially local micro brews, so my sister ordered him a shirt and mug online for his birthday last week. Excellent service, and really nice products. I'm sure we'll at least be tasting some of their beer at one of the ports, so having the shirt will make him happy! Good luck...hope you get a chance to visit the brewery.

There should be Alaska Brewery products available. We are going to do the brewery tour this time, but last time we got to taste a lot of their beer. If you have time in Juneau, I think they do tours hourly. Call and check!

Glad to know that the Alaska Brewery Co. stuff is around.

Do you actually have to find the brewery to buy thier merchandise or do other stores carry thier products?

I have heard that the brewery is "off the beaten path" and we, too, are pressed for time.

Someone even suggested taking a few hours and buying some things over the internet and bringing them with you so you don't spend your time shopping when you will be out on excursions. I happen to "like" shopping but my kids and DH do NOT!!!

MNmom

I have heard of people buying online; or let's say at a "Waterford" outlet & then giving out as gifts - I guess you can do that; but if I did I wouldn't bring w/me to Alaska but say I had it shipped!!! I did notice further back in this thread some places will ship free!! Just a thought.

Thanks everyone for all the info on shopping in Alaska - because this is a new one for me (first time) & I was wondering about Duty free & all that.

Very excited to sail Radiance 9/02/06!!!

• 7 years later...
Glad to know that the Alaska Brewery Co. stuff is around.

Do you actually have to find the brewery to buy thier merchandise or do other stores carry thier products?

I have heard that the brewery is "off the beaten path" and we, too, are pressed for time.

Someone even suggested taking a few hours and buying some things over the internet and bringing them with you so you don't spend your time shopping when you will be out on excursions. I happen to "like" shopping but my kids and DH do NOT!!!

MNmom

The Alaska Brewery has a main store on Franklin St in Juneau that sells many tourist things...The have a shuttle outfront that will take you to their brewery tour $15.00pp.....You can buy their beer at many locations throughout Alaska as well as in many states/cities...I can easily get it in markets in my southern calif hometown and Bevmo sell's it too I believe...You might be surprised to find out how many locations sell it...The Amber is very popular.

This thread is from 2006!!! :eek:

I am always curious how folks find these ancient threads! Seems like something more recent should have popped up with the search function.

In any event, since there are some mentions of Galligaskins on this page just wanted to point out that it went "belly up" some time ago.

Hi-

I will echo what others have said--Ketchikan's shopping is the best of the ports. There are many more shops and a wider range of items at varying price points. Some suggestions:

* Eskimo art--ranges from totem poles (from desktop size to huge) to stone carvings and more. But it's expensive

* Salmon--as others have said, it's everywhere in Ketchikan and comes in many different forms. And they're packaged for travel

* Russian nesting dolls--inexpensive and different. They come in many different sizes and colors

* Other: we bought a lot of small mementos--Eskimo dolls, baseball caps, magnets, stuffed moose dolls, small totem pole made from a candle--they were all inexpensive. While they may look like cheap stuff while you're there, when you come home, you appreciate having it. And they make good conversation starters!

I just did a posting on my blog about Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan if you're interested. - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

We too got all the usual souvineers, love the ulu knives - we didn't get salmon firstlynas we don't really eat it, and secondly we were flying back to OZ.

But I did pick myself and son up some pj's from a store in Ketchikan, I can't rememver the store, but I be.ieve it was near the Harley Davidson store, got hubby a Harley shirt.

We find that even 3 years later we are wearing these items, and they always take us back to Alaska. My pj's are cute red ones with little brown moose on them, and the words Chocolate Moose (Mousse). I remember the blonde lady who served us was so lovely and we had a lovely chat, amd she gave me one those lovely carry bags with the orcas on them, as I was asking where everyone was getting them from as I would like one (happy to buy).

Happy shopping in Alaska - Alaska is my favourite cruise destination of the all.

Hi-

I will echo what others have said--Ketchikan's shopping is the best of the ports. There are many more shops and a wider range of items at varying price points. Some suggestions:

* Eskimo art--ranges from totem poles (from desktop size to huge) to stone carvings and more. But it's expensive

http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

A number of the gift stores in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway are not owned by Alaskans, and their summer staff also are not from Alaska. I've hear some interesting representations in these stores about the products they are pushing. I suspect that this poster was indeed very likely told that totem poles are Eskimo in origin. But Alaska as a number of First People (Native) cultures, and neither the Yup'ik nor Inupiat (broadly referred to as "Eskimo") cultures produced totemic art.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes - this is a great thread!

Just wondering if Carcross Crossing still has better pricing on unique items than in Skagway.

When I was last in Alaska, I LOVED the shopping in Ketchikan. The prices on outdoor gear beat our prices back home hands down, and lots of great trinkets.:)

I was doing a search on what to pack (not clothes, but other stuff - tripod, laptop...) and this thread showed up.

Any don't misses other than ulu knives? I was given one by my DMIL a bunch of years ago, so don't need another of those.

Socks for those going home to cooler climes. Every size from infant to adult men.

Moose, Huskies,bears,fish, fir trees, and native designs . Our grandchildren love them, and they are pretty good quality too. Make good stocking stuffers for Xmas. Some have rubber on the bottom to be used as slippers.

things that are made in Alaska or made by Natives, have either a silver hand or a polar bear on them....Please, please do not buy an Ulu knife made in China. An Ulu knife is wonderful for filleting a fish or skinning an animal but if you don't happen to have one of those, it is absolutely the best thing for chopping herbs.....Many Ulu's come with their own bowl. Ulu's can be relatively cheap or very expensive depending on the grade of steel or what the handle is made out of. Canned salmon that you see in the stores is usually pink salmon....although you can find other species occasionally.....If it is not marked King or Red (for example, or Chinook or Sock Eye) it is probably Pink...You can get wonderful smoked salmon at Costco in Juneau or Anchorage....a whole fillet for about $18.00....packaged in a nice box, doesn't need to be refrigerated...There are lots of local cookbooks out there....and they make wonderful souvenirs....Carved birch bowls or spoons are are wonderful local handicraft also, as are carvings. If you leave from Anchorage, you can bring home a growler of Alaskan Beer from Silver Gulch Brewery in Fox, AK....Lots of photo books of Alaskan animals, seasons, Aurora's etc. The 2016 Mushing calendar is out now also...Can be found in Walmart's Fred Myer's, etc.....They make good souvenirs also....

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...