Why Do NCL's Itineraries Lack Innovation??

TxnAquarian

Don't get me wrong. I love NCL and will always look to them first when I cruise now. But I think the fact that I like the product so much is why I get so frustrated with their itineraries. It seems like they do very little to give a wide variety of options. Other cruise lines I have sailed with are always trying to offer a little something different so the itineraries aren't so bland.

-NCL should offer more itineraries with late night or overnight calls. There are many ports worth visiting overnight. And they do have some overnights (Alexandria, Egypt; St. Petersburg, Russia), I admit. But not many. And I hate to admit it, but I think NCL just wants to be at sea every night so they can collect as much revenue from guests as possible.

-The Alaska itineraries never change. The closest we got to something different was when the Sun was supposed to spend the summer doing Vancouver - Seward cruises, but that was pulled. Now we are stuck with the same ships and same ports. They could at least switch things up and maybe move the Star and the Pearl elsewhere and send the Gem and Spirit to Alaska, for example, so at least we would have something different in terms of ships offered.

-I hardly ever see them introduce new ports-of-call. There are so many great ports in the Caribbean alone that NCL doesn't touch (St.Barts, Bonaire, Trinidad). And even the other itineraries could use some freshening up in terms of ports (Greenland on one of the Trans-Atlantics perhaps, like some of the other cruise lines do?) Nothing new, nothing exciting.

As I said, I love the NCL product. But there really is a lack of excitement when the itineraries are released for each year. I'm hoping that NCL can think a little more out-of-the-box and make their destinations more diverse and exciting.

Michael

Don't get me wrong. I love NCL and will always look to them first when I cruise now. But I think the fact that I like the product so much is why I get so frustrated with their itineraries. It seems like they do very little to give a wide variety of options. Other cruise lines I have sailed with are always trying to offer a little something different so the itineraries aren't so bland.

-NCL should offer more itineraries with late night or overnight calls. There are many ports worth visiting overnight. And they do have some overnights (Alexandria, Egypt; St. Petersburg, Russia), I admit. But not many. And I hate to admit it, but I think NCL just wants to be at sea every night so they can collect as much revenue from guests as possible.

-The Alaska itineraries never change. The closest we got to something different was when the Sun was supposed to spend the summer doing Vancouver - Seward cruises, but that was pulled. Now we are stuck with the same ships and same ports. They could at least switch things up and maybe move the Star and the Pearl elsewhere and send the Gem and Spirit to Alaska, for example, so at least we would have something different in terms of ships offered.

-I hardly ever see them introduce new ports-of-call. There are so many great ports in the Caribbean alone that NCL doesn't touch (St.Barts, Bonaire, Trinidad). And even the other itineraries could use some freshening up in terms of ports (Greenland on one of the Trans-Atlantics perhaps, like some of the other cruise lines do?) Nothing new, nothing exciting.

As I said, I love the NCL product. But there really is a lack of excitement when the itineraries are released for each year. I'm hoping that NCL can think a little more out-of-the-box and make their destinations more diverse and exciting.

Michael

What would be accomplished by swapping the Star and Pearl for the Gem and Spirit ?

I think NCL does a great job moving ships where the demand is. That is why NCL is moving ships away from the West Coast as there is more demand for ships in Tampa and Orlando.

If NCL had an inventory of ships as large as Carnival, and Royal perhaps you would see more options in the Carribbean..I for one would love to see some new destinations added.

I agree, at least at the moment. Last year there was a Northern Atlantic repo, this year there isn't. And all of the South American sailings were dropped. And I was also looking forward to the aborted Alaska one-way trips. Etc.

I've got a couple of Cruise Reward certificates on hand. I sure hope they come up with something new and different before those expire! :-)

The reason NCL sticks with the basic porrts is because with such a small fleet, they can't afford to take a chance in a new port, even with just one ship. They have to stick to what they know in this economy. Like someone said earlier, maybe if they were as large as Carnival, they could take the chance to send a ship to a new, more exotic port or ports.

I have had conversations with Reps from different cruise line and this subject kinda came up.

The ligic that was explained to me goes womething like this. When the economy was strong, the cruise lines (not just NCL) could experiment with various or different than the norm itinarys. However, things started to go south, espically with longer cruises. So last year the lines started to "pull back" their fleets. More and more longer itinerarys have been cut back to 7 nighters and shorter. Riskier itinarys changed to "safe" itinarys. The other factor being the shorter the itinary, the easier the sell and fill the ship. This also creates more turnover.

Interestingly, I love NCL, but I just booked an RCL cruise for June/2011 because it went out of Rome for the Holy Land, and NCL did not have what I wanted.

Finally, the funny part (to me) is the RCL redeployment of half its' fleet to Europe. I think this is going to come back and bite them with the way the economy is going over there.

Do you understand what I am trying to say here?

I agree, some new ports and interesting cruises would be welcome. We really enjoy NCL and want to continue with them, but are starting to find it difficult to find new itineraries that catch our interest and spark the imagination. I understand that it's risky and expensive to try new ports, but eventually people are going to start getting bored with "the same old thing again" and begin looking at other lines.

One option might be to offer slightly different itineraries once or twice a season. For example, in Alaska they could offer the standard 7-day round trip most of the time, but schedule even one sailing all the way north and another back again. Perhaps there aren't enough customers to fill this itinerary all season, but I'd bet that they could fill it once a year and attract customers who may otherwise be bored with the "normal" route - these same people may even want to book it back-to-back (I know that we would).

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on this.

I totally agree with what Pszaffveauhraunne said. They could offer the basic itineraries for most of the season, but throw a curve ball in there once or twice and give us something unusual.

Also, I really don't think that the lack of diversity has to do with the size of NCL's fleet. Other cruise lines with smaller fleets of 2 or 3 ships (Crystal, Regent) mix it up all the time and give the consumer varying ports, lengths of stay and cruising regions. I realize those are high-end cruise lines and maybe can afford riskier itineraries, but NCL's size shouldn't matter.

As much as I love NCL, I am most likely booking my next cruise with another cruise line strictly based on itinerary. It's too bad NCL is so limited in its scope of offerings.

Are you sure that you gave them a good look?

Took me about 5 minutes to find a new itinerary...

This is the Norwegian Sun sailing on September 20, 2010

• Mon - London (Dover)
  • Tue - At Sea
  • Wed - Bergen
  • Thu - Alesund
  • Fri - Lerwick, Shetland Islands
  • Sat - Thorshavn
  • Sun - At Sea
  • Mon - Reykjavik
  • Tue - At Sea
  • Wed - At Sea
  • Thu - Glasgow
  • Fri - Belfast
  • Sat - Dublin
  • Sun - At Sea
  • Mon - London (Dover)

This is such a popular itinerary that there are no Insides or Oceanviews available. The lowest price you see for a balcony is $2489...each. Obviously, a very popular option with NCL cruisers.

Hubby and I loved the two overnight port stops on our NCLA Hawaiian cruise.

We're getting ready to go on a NCL Bermuda cruise which will have us overnighting a couple of nights. Really looking forward to the more relaxed sightseeing.

I really wish I could have taken the NCL July 17, 2010 cruise out of Venice, Italy. The ship is in port Saturday, Sunday, and a part of Monday, then returns to Venice at the end of the cruise.

I'd like to see NCL offer a true inside passage cruise (going north and south between the island and mainland), preferably when the daylight is long so the scenery can be enjoyed longer.

I agree, at least at the moment. Last year there was a Northern Atlantic repo, this year there isn't. And all of the South American sailings were dropped. And I was also looking forward to the aborted Alaska one-way trips. Etc.

I've got a couple of Cruise Reward certificates on hand. I sure hope they come up with something new and different before those expire! :-)

Dropping the No Atlantic crossing is a surprise and there are many that wonder why: south

America, many lines are rethinking it and the reason, the difficulty of getting to the embarkation or deparkation ports. It is a great itinerary, but not terrible practicle. this is the case with the one way Alaskan itineraries as well. Believe me, the lines that are still doing it are offering some darn good deals, because of the cost of air. This goes for embarkation out of San Juan as well. The cruise line will go where the money is. Why do you think they are moving from the Mex Riv to Tampa? The MEx riv is just not that popular anymore.

I am getting ready to do a group cruise for our Bridge group out of Fl in late Jan or early Feb. Every single line offers almost identical intineraries with NCL, in many cases offering one more port, not always. Regardless they are all the same.

Nita

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on this.

I totally agree with what Pszaffveauhraunne said. They could offer the basic itineraries for most of the season, but throw a curve ball in there once or twice and give us something unusual.

Also, I really don't think that the lack of diversity has to do with the size of NCL's fleet. Other cruise lines with smaller fleets of 2 or 3 ships (Crystal, Regent) mix it up all the time and give the consumer varying ports, lengths of stay and cruising regions. I realize those are high-end cruise lines and maybe can afford riskier itineraries, but NCL's size shouldn't matter.

As much as I love NCL, I am most likely booking my next cruise with another cruise line strictly based on itinerary. It's too bad NCL is so limited in its scope of offerings.

but I see that you haven't been on the the Spirit yet....give her a try you'll really have a great time on her!Barb:o

While not a seasoned traveler as the rest of you, all of the 7 cruises we have done have been out of the NYC port. I agree it would be nice for all the lines to switch it up.

Our first cruise was CCL Pride to Bermuda. Second was CCL Legend to PR, St. Thomas, Tortolla. 3rd time we looked CCL still doing same itinerary, same ship. So we said let's look NCL. The Dawn was doing Port Canaveral, Miami and Nassau in the Bahamas. TA said, it will be a downgrade itinerary compared to what you've done. We said, want to try new ship, don't care about itinerary. 4th cruise was aboard NCL Spirit. It did Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Grand Turk and Bermuda. 5th cruise offering from NCL was still Florida, Bahamas so we went Princess 9 day to Grand Turk, PR, St. Thomas, Bermuda. Number 6 and 7 we did CCL Miracle same itinerary as Legend but although a sister ship, it was a new ship to us. So this year once we figured vacation was a go, we looked at Miracle again, same itinerary or the Jewel. We chose the Jewel. I'm so-so on the itinerary but looking forward to a new ship. From everything I've read I don't believe we will be disappointed at all. Really looking forward to the shows.

Long post short, I'd love to see a change up in the itineraries. Love the fact that NCL is switching around the ships, it gives us a new ship to try out. I have heard a lot of cruisers complain they are at sea too long, want to see land. Maybe that was the why to shorter trips, but now may be the economics of less fuel costs to only go bahamas and back.

We like to cruise in September - more and more the lines out of NYC are heading north in September. I don't need to "see the leaves" I see them every October with a rake:rolleyes:

I think it is a matter of the economy and which iteneraries seem the most popular. We have been on the Caribbean circuit a few times and bored with that, just returned from Alaska on the Pearl. Many of the ports were afternoon stops and although I wasn't sure I would like this, it proved to be great since we got the chance to sleep late, rest, and still see some amazing scenery and towns. The Med cruise out of BCN is basically the same, but they did change out some ports - Canne for Monoco, Malta for Palma - so they do tweek them from year to year. They offer two Athens tours - one a totally Greek island cruise, one including Croatia and Turkey. After leaving the Caribbean, the Epic is going to do a tour in Europe, and we will be on it in Oct. 2011. And now we have our eye on finally taking that cruise to include the overnight in Egypt - it is going from 12 days to 9 - much more doable if you are working and can't take 2 or more weeks of vacation at one time. Unless you are cruising more than 1-2 time a year (I wish!) the itineraries do change. And again, there are always other lines - and embarkation ports.

While not a seasoned traveler as the rest of you, all of the 7 cruises we have done have been out of the NYC port. I agree it would be nice for all the lines to switch it up.

Our first cruise was CCL Pride to Bermuda. Second was CCL Legend to PR, St. Thomas, Tortolla. 3rd time we looked CCL still doing same itinerary, same ship. So we said let's look NCL. The Dawn was doing Port Canaveral, Miami and Nassau in the Bahamas. TA said, it will be a downgrade itinerary compared to what you've done. We said, want to try new ship, don't care about itinerary. 4th cruise was aboard NCL Spirit. It did Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Grand Turk and Bermuda. 5th cruise offering from NCL was still Florida, Bahamas so we went Princess 9 day to Grand Turk, PR, St. Thomas, Bermuda. Number 6 and 7 we did CCL Miracle same itinerary as Legend but although a sister ship, it was a new ship to us. So this year once we figured vacation was a go, we looked at Miracle again, same itinerary or the Jewel. We chose the Jewel. I'm so-so on the itinerary but looking forward to a new ship. From everything I've read I don't believe we will be disappointed at all. Really looking forward to the shows.

Long post short, I'd love to see a change up in the itineraries. Love the fact that NCL is switching around the ships, it gives us a new ship to try out. I have heard a lot of cruisers complain they are at sea too long, want to see land. Maybe that was the why to shorter trips, but now may be the economics of less fuel costs to only go bahamas and back.

We like to cruise in September - more and more the lines out of NYC are heading north in September. I don't need to "see the leaves" I see them every October with a rake:rolleyes:

NYC itineraries are tough because it takes 2 days at full steam just to get to the Bahamas. They can't really get to the Western or Southern Caribbean.

Are you sure that you gave them a good look? Took me about 5 minutes to find a new itinerary... This is the Norwegian Sun sailing on September 20, 2010...

Yes, that's the one NCL cruise that I've been keeping an eye on. Right now the pricing and availability looks a bit crazy.

While I think that NCL offers a great product and we've used them the last 2 cruises, the lack of diversity has us looking @ other lines for next year.

The longer cruises out of FL are just their Eastern/Western cruises packed together. Honestly that doesn't feel the same as a true long cruise. The cruises out of NYC are great for NCL, but for next year we're looking into something like what the Celebrity Constellation has for a 14 day now (either intin) or what the Princess Grand Princess for a 14 day.

Derek

The lack of choices in destinations on NCL is even worse if you can only cruise during summer school breaks and want to use a port near the USA.

That is why for next summer we have already booked with RCCL. Sure NCL goes to these ports, but only when school is in session. We were looking forward to cruising the Epic two years in a row (Western in 2010 & Eastern in 2011), but NCL squashed those plans. We could go on the Spirit next summer, but that is basically the same route as we are doing on the Epic this summer.

I agree with the idea of maybe throwing in a week or two change to a standard itinerary. I had already suggested to NCL that one time during the summer the Jewel could do a Canada cruise. One week to Quebec City and the second back to New York City; a great B2B if different ports are offered each way. We would also be interested in the B2B for 2 weeks between Seattle and Seward if NCL offered different ports in each direction and NCL used a newer ship than the Sun or Sky (have you seen the size of those kid's club's :eek:). Appears like we will need to go with another cruise line for these itineraries.

I too wish there were more "new" itineraries (and cruises like a North Atlantic repo), but there are still some. For example, in Oct. 2011, the Jade will begin sailing this new "Mediterranean and the Holy Land" itinerary out of Rome:

Sat Rome (Civitavecchia) -5:00 PM

Sun At Sea --

Mon At Sea --

Tue Alanya 8:00 AM6:00 PM

Wed Limassol 8:00 AM5:00 PM

Thu Haifa 6:00 AM9:00 PM

Fri Ashdod 6:00 AM6:00 PM

Sat Port Said 7:00 AM9:00 PM

Sun Alexandria 9:00 AM6:00 PM

Mon At Sea --

Tue At Sea --

Wed Rome (Civitavecchia) 5:00 AM

(those six intensive ports days in a row look exciting but exhausting!)

Archived