Is an egg a day, ok?

TravelSmarty

Egg is one of my favorite breakfast. I'm having omelet, fried egg, and boiled egg in every breakfast for the past 2 years. Someone told me recently that eggs are high in cholesterol, so I did a cholesterol test and everything appeared normal. I'm still not 100% sure if I should continue with my egg a day so I'm just wondering if anyone here has any advice regarding this?

• 2 weeks later...

Eggs are fantastically good for you - one a day is totally fine. I don't see why you should give up your eggs if you enjoy them either, especially not if it's not affected your health. That should be proof enough. Eggs are high in protein, and protein makes you feel fuller for longer, meaning that if you eat your eggs for breakfast, you're less likely to binge on other snacks in the morning anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

According to the American Heart Association, if you have normal cholesterol level an egg a day is appropriate. Other nutritional journals feel the AHA is too restrictive on their view of eating eggs and believe there is no evidence of eating eggs and higher cholesterol. So enjoy those eggs. They are full of protein and other nutrients.

If your cholesterol levels are good, I see no problem with an egg a day. Eggs are a wonderful source of protein, and you can find studies that show the cholesterol in the eggs is the good kind, and won't raise your bad levels. Just stick with your doctors advice, and get regular check ups, and enjoy your eggs.

I think eggs are like pasta and bread. Pasta is good for you, but it depends on what you put on it ( ie, alfredo sauce vs marinara ), and bread is good, especially whole wheat, but if you slather it with butter, and cheese, or peanut butter, cream cheese and jam etc, it is no longer quite as good. Eggs are healthier these days, the chickens who lay them, are fed healthier diets and sometimes raised in healthier environments ( free range) , but if you load up on them along with bacon and sausage, then you are double or triple dosing in fat and cholesterol!:)

• 4 months later...

I've read some articles recently that are really touting eggs as a very good source of B vitamins ( in the yolk) and these articles are also saying that eggs are not as bad for you as had previously been thought. Great source of protein without alot of fat.

Cholesterol from eggs often gets a bad rap because so many people are concerned with how to lower cholesterol. The fact is that cholesterol is necessary, even vital to many functions within the body. It is only when cholesterol levels exceed unhealthy amounts that we need to be concerned about lowering cholesterol.

The body produces and regulates its cholesterol levels in the optimal way. Occasionally, people will inherit a genetic inability to do this in a completely carefree way. They must do something else to ensure their body processes cholesterol properly. Diet and exercise are the primary, safest, and most natural way to lower cholesterol without the side effect of drugs. Cholesterol levels are not consistent day by day. They can vary from 10 to 25 percent on any given day. If you aren't pre disposed to gentically high cholesterol, regularly excercise or maintain an active lifestyle, and you don't regularly eat a high fat diet then you shouldn't have any worries about eating eggs.

I suppose eggs are ok but not too much. Maybe you need some vitamins that are in eggs? I have not seen a person who eats at least 1 egg every day from year to year. But from another side - if all is ok with you and your health, you can continue to eat eggs. It is not unhealthy.

Archived