Silver Whisper --> Pride

rols

Hello. For the last couple of years we've been cruising SilverSea (always on the whisper so far!) and we have an opening for a vacation in August, SilverSea isn't in Asia and we don't want to go long-haul from our home base in Singapore so we're looking at the Pride journey from Kobe to Shanghai.

We're sure that both lines are excellent and we're assuming that service will be about on a par between them, what we were trying to get a handle on was any differences which come from the relative sizes of the ships (Pride is a little smaller even than the quite diminutive Whisper) and the general 'feel' between the lines. For instance it seems that Seabourn is a little lighter on formal nights, but similarly has less casual nights too, is that a fair comparison? We actually quite like dressing up, but having a more constant theme throughout the cruise would actually make it easier to pack! On SilverSea it was easy for the two of us to dine a-deux on the evenings we wanted to, but if we wanted to roll the dice it was always possible to be seated with random company, is Seabourn similar in that respect?

We really expect more similarities than differences but if anyone has a few qualitative points of comparison between the two it would very much help our expectations (and packing too!).

Thanks for your help, we're looking forward to our first Seabourn cruise.

Roland and Sue

>"On SilverSea it was easy for the two of us to dine a-deux on the evenings we wanted to, but if we wanted to roll the dice it was always possible to be seated with random company, is Seabourn similar in that respect?'

Yes.

Be aware that the Pride is more than a little smaller than the Whisper. The Pride is 10,000 tons and the Whisper is about 28,000 tons. But the experience on the Pride is unique and you will be very happy. (The suites, btw, minus the veranda, are about the same size....277 sq. ft. vs. 284.)

We've done both SB and SS Whisper. The main differences:

1. Pool placement is awkward on SB Pride. You do not "Sit by" the pool. You sit by the whirlpools, and walk around obstructions to get to the pool;

2. SB will try to forcefeed you to sit with other guests by inviting you to dine with Officers or entertainers. At these meals, you are not allowed to sit with your spouse. We quite like this, as we've never had a meal where the company was not entertaining;

3. SB slightly more intimate, given the fewer number of passengers;

4. And of course we are of the opinion that the SB food is better, but SS suites are nicer.

You can't go wrong either way. We packed the same amount of formal/informal wear for both, so you're safe doing whatever you did with SS.

ENJOY!

I agree with what Wripro (Henry) has said. I have sailed both the Pride and the Shadow. The pride is a lot more intimate than the say the Whisper.

You will find that by the end of your cruise you will know most of your fellow passengers on the Pride and that the staff will know you more than the Whisper. Again size is the factor.

Unlike the Whisper where you will have some shows, the Pride wil be a little more inimate with typically a piano player and a singer and say a comedian for the entertainment.

The key is the Pride only carries around 200 passengers so just think of the Whisper and think of the Pride being close to half the size.

It is a very intimate ship and I think it is quite unique. I highly recommend it. You wil be treated to a very unique experience.

Keith

I think you will enjoy the Pride. Having sailed on both ships (and several times on the Pride), IMO, the service and food on the Pride and Seabourn in general is far superior.

Chris

We've done both SB and SS Whisper. The main differences:

1. Pool placement is awkward on SB Pride. You do not "Sit by" the pool. You sit by the whirlpools, and walk around obstructions to get to the pool;

2. SB will try to forcefeed you to sit with other guests by inviting you to dine with Officers or entertainers. At these meals, you are not allowed to sit with your spouse. We quite like this, as we've never had a meal where the company was not entertaining;

3. SB slightly more intimate, given the fewer number of passengers;

4. And of course we are of the opinion that the SB food is better, but SS suites are nicer.

You can't go wrong either way. We packed the same amount of formal/informal wear for both, so you're safe doing whatever you did with SS.

ENJOY!

I agree with all of this except no. 2. Yes, you do get invites but can either refuse them or ask at the beginning of the cruise at the reception desk 'no invitations please' to avoid any possible feeling of embarrassment. We prefer to dine a deux or with perhaps another couple. I am sure it is nice for singletons to have invites to dinner with officers and entertainers to meet other people easily, but agree that dinner usually takes a lot longer at an invited table.

>" I am sure it is nice for singletons to have invites to dinner with officers and entertainers to meet other people easily..."

It is not just singletons who are invited, nor is it just singletons who accept. Often my partner and I enjoyed the company of others at a hosted table. Sometimes we enjoy a meal other than 'a deux', at least in the dining room.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Roland and Sue

My husband and I were just having this same conversation. We have been cruising with Silversea most recently and have decided to book our first Seabourn cruise on the same itinerary as you - Kobe to Shanghai in August. How exciting!

After reading these posts, I'm thinking about not packing my long dress for one of the formal nights. Sue, how about you? We read somewhere that there are 2 formal nights for a 12 night cruise; however, we also read that Seabourn has said that there will not be any formal nights on the Med cruises. I wonder if they have made a statement about their Asia cruises during the Summer months.

See you in Kobe!

Patti + Ken

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Roland and Sue

My husband and I were just having this same conversation. We have been cruising with Silversea most recently and have decided to book our first Seabourn cruise on the same itinerary as you - Kobe to Shanghai in August. How exciting!

After reading these posts, I'm thinking about not packing my long dress for one of the formal nights. Sue, how about you? We read somewhere that there are 2 formal nights for a 12 night cruise; however, we also read that Seabourn has said that there will not be any formal nights on the Med cruises. I wonder if they have made a statement about their Asia cruises during the Summer months.

See you in Kobe!

Patti + Ken

Hi there - great to find another 'boarder' on the same cruise. We received our final cruise docs just yesterday (which is what prompted me to log into the board which I've not done in some time). It says one formal night .. I have to decide if I'm going to pack a dinner jacket for just one night or just wear a suit that night, I'll have those anyway for the other nights, it's tempting not to bother with a DJ, wing collar and bowtie for one night, I wish they had two.

Sue will probably take at least one long dress and might wear it on another night as well, something medium-dressy which works for formal and less so.

Our last trip on Whisper they turned one of the informal nights into a casual one and we dined twice up on deck at their new BBQ concept thing, so we found ourselves with too much informal stuff and reusing the casual (the pool deck was casual if you liked even if it was informal night, quite hot and sticky so you didn't want to overdress). We'll have to take a look at the itinerary and figure out what we need for this one.

How are you travelling to the ship? We're going to fly to Osaka the day before and stay at the Ritz Carlton (I get an ok corporate rate there). I checked with them and they can arrange door-to-door transport to the ship, it's costly but not as much as buying it from Seabourn. For Shanghai we were going to just call one of the car companies when we're docked the day before departure and organize something, as Sue is Chinese and speaks Mandarin, we figure that's not going to be a problem.

Sure we'll meet you on board, it's a small ship, looking forward to it.

Roland

• 1 month later...
>" I am sure it is nice for singletons to have invites to dinner with officers and entertainers to meet other people easily..."

It is not just singletons who are invited, nor is it just singletons who accept. Often my partner and I enjoyed the company of others at a hosted table. Sometimes we enjoy a meal other than 'a deux', at least in the dining room.

ok we're going to have to go nudge somebody as we're still awaiting our invite to an officer's table, although we've been seated with some nice other people but it's nice to feel wanted.

We're running the poor room service guy ragged! We're used from silversea to being able to get a bottle of champagne in the room any night we like, we drink it whilst watching a movie and then put the champagne keeper in the top .. not here, here you can order it glass at a time (or pay for a bottle) so the poor lad is going backwards and forwards with a tray 5 times a night. But he's doing it with a smile!

>"ok we're going to have to go nudge somebody as we're still awaiting our invite to an officer's table.."

Just mention it to the Maitre d' or the Pursers. And it's not just the officers who host tables, the Lecturers, Entertainers, other Crew do as well.

>"ok we're going to have to go nudge somebody as we're still awaiting our invite to an officer's table.."

We found that the invitations came between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM daily ... and sometimes the invitations were not delivered to your door until after you have left for an all day excursion ... This we found odd. We made our dinner arrangements with others the night prior. So when the invitations came the day of, we turned them all down. In our 2-week cruise, we got a total of 7 invitations, and one phone call to fill in for a regret ... all of them were regretted. I am sure we were considered ingrates! We were surprised that they kept asking us.

>"and sometimes the invitations were not delivered to your door until after you have left for an all day excursion ... This we found odd"

Usually the invites come the evening before or are in the door early in the day. But I too, have had them left at my suite after I have gone for the day. I just try to go with the flow.

• 2 weeks later...
Champagne will not go flat in the ten minutes it takes to drink the first glass.

That was our experience too :), we ordered them by the clutch. That poor man was a-knockin' at our door the whole cruise, but he never, ever stopped smiling.

Just writing up a review now .. it took me a day to get over having to leave before I could face the task.

Archived