Do you get a pedicure before you cruise?

I'm going with the french mani/pedi and bringing clear polish and a touch up

stick. How often does one get to dress up in formal attire and try and look there best. I want to look my best from the tip of my head to the tip of my toes.

I get a pedicure before I cruise. If my feet are going to be in Flip Flops and sandals they need to look decent and I simply can't do the kind of job that a professional can do. Now, once I get one done, I can generally keep it up myself for the rest of the season.

I don't much about fungus problems, but I would think you could just paint over it with a dark color like Red and it would be fine. Just remember to throw that polish away, so you don't go to use it again and put the fungus back on your toes. But I think they are right in saying ask the Dr. There is no way that someone one has not had this issue before.

My poor husband - I guess people are gawking at his sad little foot after all :(

I tend to notice people who DO have pedicures - probably because the polish stands out - but unless one of their toes is completely green or has a wart the size of their head on it, I can honestly say I do not notice. Someone could probably walk by me with six toes on each foot and I'd have no clue :p

People definately notice!!

This is something I mentioned on this board a few months ago - they are called MINX and they are so fun! You can wear them on fingers or toes, and they come in tons of fantastic patterns and images. These are a few that I've done:

MINXGoldLighteningApril2010.jpg

MINXDeesSkullsMarch20101.jpg

MINXGoldStudsMarch20102.jpg

http://www.minxmynails.co.uk/news.htm

I believe this website has a salon finder, but you can google Minx Nails and your area, and should be able to find a salon near you. On toes, they last about 6 weeks (less on hands, maybe a week to 10 days). They are non-toxic, and are applied with heat so that when they cool down, they adhere to the nail and don't flake off. When you want to remove them, simply warm them back up and peel them off again!

I wore the Silver Lightening on my last cruise and so many people asked me about them! I'm having a hard time keeping them in stock these days!

I always get a pedicure and my nails filled before we go. I usually have done a white tip for my nails but think i will do something bright as the white if sprayed doesnt work if you have to use sunscreen.

I usually have a matching bright color on my toes and they do a flower on with a rhinestone. Not sure but i might do just a color with gems across.. havent decided yet.

I usually cruise in the winter so I DEFINITELY get a pedicure before I go - a real treat - usually a hot pink/fuschia color - not into 'designs' (altho my 18 yo dd is constantly doing her nails with all sorts of fun stuff!).

But once sandal weather arrives (I live in Canada and this year it was 'early'!) I start getting regular pedicures so I can take off the closed shoes and start wearing sandals and flip flops! I am currently 'upset' cuz I just had day surgery last week and one of the instructions said I had to remove ALL polish (toes and fingers) and my pedicure was still pretty fresh! (and the nurse was surprised when I told her about this - said it wasn't necessary - ya well update your 'info booklet' please? besides I wore these 'booties' all thru the surgery so no one even saw my toes).

While I do notice a nice pedicure what I REALLY NOTICE the most is women who SHOULD HAVE PEDICURES!!! I see women with ghastly looking feet, dry and cracked heels sporting sandals and flip flops and I am appalled - even if you do it yourself - I think taking care of your feet (as you do other parts of your body?) is important esp if they are being exposed!

I mentioned before I do it before my cruise or any vacation for that matter.

I'd also like to mention I refuse to spend 40.00 on a pedicure aboard ship. hell no! I can a mani/pedi and free wax for $25.00. I like having pretty feet in the summer, I can always touch up my nails for formal night. I think I posted this before oh well sorry repeat post.

Alrana

First of all, what is a French pedicure?

But more important, what should I do with my yellow toenails? My mom keeps saying I should get them painted, but the left big toenail is so bad a foot doctor takes care of it - that's right, a podiatrist. Yes, they have been treated for a fungus infection - twice. If it's not possible to hide the flaws with a pedicure, I will covet fake toenails to wear anytime I am on a beach or in the pool/hot tub area. Am I worrying too much about nothing?

I have had one big toenail removed twice, now it grows back raised on top, i file it as flat as possible and I NEVER hav naked toes. As your doc if polish would be OK for the cruise. FYI.. have you tried Listerine as a soak for your feet? I read about, tried it and t worked for me. The original kind only, and I soaked A LOT.

Forgot to mention that I do bring 'polish' with me in case of a 'change' or fix. But for travelling I buy some nail polish remover pads and some of those nail polish 'pens' not bottles - less change of leakage or breakage (after a bad accident w/nail polish and remover a few years ago!!)

I go the salon every 4 weeks for a pedicure, but in the winter I have it done without polish to give my toenails a break because they get very dry with polish on them constantly.

• 3 weeks later...

Many of you may know of this already, but I just discovered quick nail salons at major airports! What a boon to folks who know they'll have a layover and also need a mani-pedi. Apparently they do mini massages also. I don't think I've ever noticed them before but saw them yesterday at JFK as well as ATL. The prices weren't horrible, and if rushed for time getting packed and off to a cruise, it may be a time saver knowing you can do it while waiting.

http://www.xpresspa.com/

http://www.traveltowellness.com/airportspas

You all are giving me the heebie jeebies. LOL

I have never had nail polish on my toes nor have I ever had someone else touch and work on my feet. There is just something about it TO ME, that is uggggh. LOL

Your toes do look cute with designs on them. What fun for the summer.

I saw a man getting a pedicure once and I kid you not..his feet were so crusty the tech got out what looked like a giant tool box from home depot and used a large tool that looked like a cheese grater.

I am not making this up..I am sure his wife finally got after him for his feet and made him go and get one!

I don't usually do anything "weird" on my toes before a cruise - because I think it would look tacky on formal night. (Open toes) But the next time, I am going to the Caribbean for 2 weeks and decided I wanted to do the "watermelon toes" http://www.bellasugar.com/Love-Hate-Watermelon-Pedicure-3198923?page=0%2C1 What do you think? Too odd for formal night?

It's funny, reading these boards regarding pedicures, I wonder if it's a very regional thing? I live in S.Ca, not too far from the beach, I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't get a pedicure at least every few weeks, maybe because we tend to wear sandals year round? Someone mentioned men getting pedicures, there's almost always a guy getting one at the little place I go to. Anyhow, as long as they're neat & groomed, it's all good.

I don't usually do anything "weird" on my toes before a cruise - because I think it would look tacky on formal night. (Open toes) But the next time, I am going to the Caribbean for 2 weeks and decided I wanted to do the "watermelon toes" http://www.bellasugar.com/Love-Hate-Watermelon-Pedicure-3198923?page=0%2C1 What do you think? Too odd for formal night?

Since you asked, sorry, but I HATE this look. It's very cute, and appropriate if you are under 21..

That said, If you like it, GO for it. You only live once, and who am I to dictate to anyone. Just MHO. Be happy and do what you want..that's the best thing!

Have fun! :D

It's the same thing here in Southern FLA. Few people do not get them and amongst the gents it's quite popular.

The interesting thing I noted was how DIFFERENT it can be to get a pedicure in other countries. The BEST I ever had was in Nicaragua..what a shocker..she worked on my toes for over an hour and I swear the pedicure lasted two months. The girl who did it was only 17 but she must have massaged my feet for half an hour it seemed. I have a second home in Jamaica and I would NEVER get one there..the techs do a good job and it's very popular to get designs, but the majority of places don't soak the foot, etc. It just doesn't feel "right" to me though my gal pals there never complain.

The other thing I notice is that "everybody" gets red it seems or some shade of it. Too common. I like to get something different. The most compliments I get is when I have my toes painted entirely white..like french pedicure color white.

It's funny, reading these boards regarding pedicures, I wonder if it's a very regional thing? I live in S.Ca, not too far from the beach, I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't get a pedicure at least every few weeks, maybe because we tend to wear sandals year round? Someone mentioned men getting pedicures, there's almost always a guy getting one at the little place I go to. Anyhow, as long as they're neat & groomed, it's all good.

Well it makes sense if you live in a warm weather climate that you get regular pedicures - that must be fun! (I don't like reds - usually veer towards pinks/fuschias - bright and tropical esp when I cruise).

As for the 'watermelon' design - it is adorable - but as mentioned more of a fun/casual look - and definitely for the younger crowd (I actually emailed the link to my 18 yr old dd cuz I know she would love it - and would do it herself!).

Sadly I can't wear sandals all year round. I guess I could if I didn't go outside. I do get a mani and pedi monthly in the summer, and every 6-8wks in the winter.

I wear funky colours Sephora (made by OPI) dk greens, navy blues, I own about 20 different reds, and purples. I also get flowers painted on my toes in the summer. I've even done the french on toes and fingers for my daughters wedding. I'm 62, I love my executive blond hair(grey) I enjoy life and what the h...., you only live once.Right now I'm trying to find the perfect toe colour for our Med cruise in August.

I have a pedi every 4 weeks, if I don't I get a mold growth under my big toe on the left food (TMI). So...it always cracks me up when I see people actually choose green as a toenail color, it's what I'm trying to avoid!

I don't get cutesy, I don't get (to me) odd colors, I just get the same color family every time. My manicurist usually just grabs a couple of bottles she thinks is close to my preference and I choose from there.

I think cute patterns are fun even though I prefer plain, but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone wants French toenails :eek: To me it just looks like they haven't cut their toenails in months. I have to look away (since it's none of my business). Of course, I don't care for the long French manicure on acrylics, either.

I've never thought of a man getting a pedicure or manicure as odd at all, just good grooming.

Does anyone get a special design on their toes for their cruise? I want to get something besides my usual french, but I'm out of ideas. I know this sounds crazy but does anyone have any pictures of their vacation pedicure? I remembered that someone posted a picture of a really cute pedicure they got before going on their Disney cruise (below) but I am going on the Carnival Dream, so mickey ears dont really apply.

4589757286_aca0205425_o.jpg

Awww, love the Mickey ears. They are adorable! Are you a DISer?

I usually get a bright color on my toes and French tips for my fingernails.

Archived