Do you get a pedicure before you cruise?

Does anyone get a special design on their toes for their cruise? I want to get something besides my usual french, but I'm out of ideas. I know this sounds crazy but does anyone have any pictures of their vacation pedicure? I remembered that someone posted a picture of a really cute pedicure they got before going on their Disney cruise (below) but I am going on the Carnival Dream, so mickey ears dont really apply.

4589757286_aca0205425_o.jpg

I don't have any pictures, but I usually get a pedicure on a regular basis in the spring and summer. My nail salon has some hand painted designs you can choose from, and sometimes they do some variations of those designs. I usually choose a flower with some lines or dots.

I do my own "pedicure"...fingers and toes are the same...generally a neutral color, to go with anything....I try to compliment my skin tone...not my clothing! Red isn't good for me...but a neutral pink is great! No "nail art", no "french manicure"...just something that I can touch up as needed!

First of all, what is a French pedicure?

But more important, what should I do with my yellow toenails? My mom keeps saying I should get them painted, but the left big toenail is so bad a foot doctor takes care of it - that's right, a podiatrist. Yes, they have been treated for a fungus infection - twice. If it's not possible to hide the flaws with a pedicure, I will covet fake toenails to wear anytime I am on a beach or in the pool/hot tub area. Am I worrying too much about nothing?

I do my own "pedicure"...fingers and toes are the same...generally a neutral color, to go with anything....I try to compliment my skin tone...not my clothing! Red isn't good for me...but a neutral pink is great! No "nail art", no "french manicure"...just something that I can touch up as needed!

I feel the same as you so. I've never had a manicure or pedicure at a salon. Those are things I like to do myself. I try to keep them looking nice and I do get some nice compliments. Occasionally, I do like red polish, but when I'm going away for a week or so, I prefer a sheer color that will look nice and last longer than red. Personally, I hate the french manicure look on the toenails lol and don't care too much for it on fingernails either.

But more important, what should I do with my yellow toenails? My mom keeps saying I should get them painted, but the left big toenail is so bad a foot doctor takes care of it - that's right, a podiatrist. Yes, they have been treated for a fungus infection - twice. If it's not possible to hide the flaws with a pedicure, I will covet fake toenails to wear anytime I am on a beach or in the pool/hot tub area. Am I worrying too much about nothing?

I will tell you that people really don't pay attention to feet. I had an ingrown toenail, and half the nail needed to be removed. It took forever to grow back in, but no one ever noticed it was missing (except my DH). Please remember that toenail fungus is contagious, so be mindful of your other cruise passengers about walking around barefoot in public areas of the ship.

That being said, I don't think a nail salon will work on your feet if there is a fungus or an infection. But with toenail fungus, you shouldn't use any nail polish.

I would NOT cover it with fake toenails. You should never cover the fungus with glue chemicals and plastic, since it will probably make it worse. Air it out as much as possible, since that will aid the healing process.

I usually get pedicures pretty regularly in the summer cause i hate the way my naked toes look. I sometimes get designs on the toes, but I just tell the lady to do a design and she usually comes up with something nice.

Hi friend!

I hate to say it, but yes, you are worrying about nothing. I know we all have little "flaws" that we don't like about ourselves; for example, I have a freckle on the very end of my nose that I HATE, and some recent weight gain has given me HORRIBLE stretch marks right on my tummy - I look like Freddy Kruger clawed me!! Other folks don't see at all. Even my friends whom I asked for "advice" about covering the flaws told me they had never noticed. Everyone is too wrapped up in their own things to pay attention :)

If it makes you feel any better, my DH is MISSING a toe: long story short, when he was about 16, he broke his foot/leg in a car accident, and there was some nerve damage and a bone infection set up. It was remove the toe or face losing the whole foot eventually, so he chose the toe.

It doesn't stop him from going to the beach, water parks, etc. We've never had anyone look at it or say anything ugly to us, and we're usually too busy having fun to worry. Just go and focus on having fun! Besides, how embarrassing if your falsie fell off on deck - then people who hadn't and wouldn't have noticed will REALLY notice! :)

Now, to answer the original questions:

1. A "French" pedicure is the white tips painted onto your toenails, like it is on your fingers: http://z.about.com/d/beauty/1/0/u/k/Frenchpedi.JPG

2. I get pedicures 2x a month anyway, and usually just pick a color I like, be it french or neon yellow or little Hello Kitty faces :). I'm 26, and maybe its just my generation, but I'm not so matchy-matchy with things. Sometimes I let the nail tech paint designs, and sometimes I don't - who knows what I will come up with for the cruise? I will probably do neutral on my nails, but my toes are anybodies guess :) There is a really cute rainbow and palm tree design at the salon, but I may do that for the beach :)

I don't like pedicures, but do get my toenails painted every 3 weeks during sandal weather. I pick a bright color that looks good with my skin tone. Don't care for the look of French pedicures or designs.

My last two cruises, I did my mani and pedi myself.

For my next one in a few months, I will treat myself to a mani/pedi. What color, not too sure, but somethin nuetral....maybe a light brown/beige/goldish color as I am olive color.

I do my mani/pedi before I leave and just use my own nail polish(will depend on formal dress I pick) bring it to nail salon. if I have to touch up myself. I wear open toe sandals in the summer. I like my feet pretty.

Alrana

the last two cruises i had pedicures at the salon--WONDERFUL TREAT--and decided when i cruise i will get one done...just one less thing i have to worry about doing myself--as i get older and have some KNEE issues it gets harder so i will get the pedi and i just LOVE the FOOT MASSAGE!!-addicting!!!

i do think people NOTICE your feet specially when you are wearing cute flip-flops or sandals and have your feet exposed...i had so many compliments on my TOEs the last two cruises--so if i am gonna have them show they are gonna LOOK GOOD:)

i love french on the toes. i like it when they do 2 wild colors too, not just the pink and white.

the last few years ive been really into painting my toes a dark metallic blue in summer. dont ask why, i just like it. sometimes i get that with a really bright pink flower painted on it. i prefer the big flowers to the little ones. like a hibiscus. life is too short to have boring toes! :-P

I got my first pedicure in 2006 just before DH and I went on our first cruise. It's really the calf massage and pampering that I love during a pedicure and I get to sit in the massage chair even while my toes are drying.....it's so relaxing! I only get pedicures before cruising, it's a nice little treat to look forward to. The rest of the year I will paint them myself.

I usually choose a coral shade or red.

i do think people NOTICE your feet specially when you are wearing cute flip-flops or sandals and have your feet exposed...i had so many compliments on my TOEs the last two cruises--so if i am gonna have them show they are gonna LOOK GOOD:)

Damn straight they notice. They may wish they didn't but they doooooooo! I went to a wedding once where the mother of the bride changed into flip flops during the reception, yet never thought to get a pedicure to clean up her gnarly, darkened mutant looking toenails. Ugh!

I say for a special event or cruise, a bit of polish and buffing up won't hurt that fungus a bit. It'll still be there and after your cruise. Honest. You can remove the polish and go back to au natural. But you'll feel far more attractive and comfortable with that pedi/polish than worrying about who is seeing your foot issues.

My poor husband - I guess people are gawking at his sad little foot after all :(

I guess then if people notice that much then she should try to disguise the toenail, but please do it safely, hate to make the infection worse. Maybe talk to your doctor to see what they suggest?

I'm wearing a magenta from OPI right now, but I think I'll get something with a design next time because I have never had one.:rolleyes:

If you have a minor toenail fungus, Listerine, the original, not generic, will help with it. If it's a yellow toenail that is. I had one and I soaked it in it every day for a month and it lightened up. My SO told me about it and I was surprised it worked.LOL You can google it also.

I like to have my pedicure done at a nice salon before my cruise. The rest of the year, I do it myself. However, it wears off too quickly when I do it, and I don't want to pack nail polish and polish remover when I fly. I have a good salon that does a great job, and the pedicure lasts about 3-4 weeks, plenty of time for a cruise.

I usually go with a dark pink or dark red. However, I may go for the French-tips this time.

Archived