Three on a cruise... thoughts please?

NthernLgts

Hi all.... been awhile since I've posted. Looking at a cruise this fall, probably on the Emerald in Sept. Was looking for any advice on sailing with three for the best price options. It will be myself, wife, and 18 yr old son. 3 in a mini? Balcony and an inside? Thoughts please. Time in the cabin will be minimal, but there will be some.

Hi all.... been awhile since I've posted. Looking at a cruise this fall, probably on the Emerald in Sept. Was looking for any advice on sailing with three for the best price options. It will be myself, wife, and 18 yr old son. 3 in a mini? Balcony and an inside? Thoughts please. Time in the cabin will be minimal, but there will be some.

I'd opt for a balcony and an inside...give you all some privacy at night, some extra space (the balcony) when you might want it (during the daytime).

My sister and I and my son had a mini first cruise, very nice, but we didnt spend much time in it, nor did we use the balcony much. Next cruise we had an obstructed OV, alot smaller of course, but we spend so little time in the cabin.

Karen

An oceanview, or even better, a balcony cabin and an inside would work best, probably.

It would give you privacy when you want it, and privacy is just as important for your son.

Plus 3 people sharing a tiny bathroom is not the greatest way to vacation.

To really save money, you could do 2 insides, but it's worth it to me to have an oceanview

at least.

We had a mini on Emerald (last on port side with the wrap balcony) with our adult son for a 14 day cruise As of "third" we got 1/2 off for him. If you get a mini the bathroom is by no means small. You actually have a tub. 2 tv's so he was able to watch what he wanted and a pull out coach. He preferred the pull down to sleep in which some rooms have. Plenty of storage space for cloths, suitcases. The balcony had enough room for 6 since it was the last mini with the wrap balcony. Privacy is the only thing we didn't have but that was not a problem for any of us. We actually enjoyed the time together!

It really depends on how comfortable you are in close quarters with your son and what the pricing differential is between the mini and the balcony/inside. Be aware that while the mini is larger, there's no curtain or separation between the sleeping and "living" area where the convertible couch is so if you value your privacy, even for a little while, you won't have it.

My husband and I cruised with our 17 year old son (Alaska Inside Passage) 2 years ago, and we had a mini-suite. It was plenty big for the 3 of us and we had no problems. We are taking him on another cruise in January during his college break, and once again booked a mini-suite. I priced other options, such as a single Inside and 2 in a balcony, and that cost more than the mini-suite (a single costs the same as 2 people in a room). 2 insides or obstructed view cabins might be cheaper, but I didn't price those, since we don't like enclosed rooms (I need my fresh air).

I'd probably go with the mini. I did this with my 13 year old a few years ago. We had enough room. I realize yours is a little older. Would you be a little concerned with the 18 year old having their own room?

My husband and I have just returned from a mini-suite which we shared with our 22year old daughter. Admittedly we all get along really well, but we had loads of space and the larger bathroom was great. It all depends on cost for the 3rd person, how good your relationships are and whether or not you will all need some space from each other at times during the cruise. Either way have fun.

Cost wise getting him his own cabin makes no sense as you will pay twice the price as he is a single. I would go for the mini suite....just that little bit extra room over the balcony would be good and in the balcony he would have to sleep on a pull down, where the mini he could have the pull out couch.

We have sailed in a mini suite with our young adult daughter and found it very manageable. The larger bathroom with full tub makes a huge difference, the fold-out sofa was comfortable for her, and there was no problem getting to the bathroom with the sofa opened up. She lives in her own apartment in NYC now, so we have plenty of privacy at home with just the two of us----- this trip was about spending time together.

Thanks all. Sure price is an issue. We get along pretty well with our son so that part shouldnt be an issue, being together in the mini. In a perfect world I'd just get the balcony and an inside, but am not gonna pay double the price. Will likely take the mini. Any other suggestions?

You might want to check out the prices. For our upcoming cruise it was cheaper to book a bb aft balcony on the caribe deck and a kk inside right across the hall from it than it was to book a minisuite. I just checked the prices again and it's still that way. This is the first time we booked this way with our teen. It will be nice to have the privacy with my DH and my son's room is closer to us than at home.

You might want to check out the prices. For our upcoming cruise it was cheaper to book a bb aft balcony on the caribe deck and a kk inside right across the hall from it than it was to book a minisuite. I just checked the prices again and it's still that way. This is the first time we booked this way with our teen. It will be nice to have the privacy with my DH and my son's room is closer to us than at home.

Thanks. I am looking into it now. That would be a nice option but I didnt think it would be close on the price. Will let you know how it works out.

i've sailed with 3 teens and myself in an interior. anything more is luxury! it can be done if you get along and like to spend time together.

now that the budget is a bit better, we opt for ov or balconies, but those earlier cruises are the ones we remember fondly.

i'm usually long in bed before the kids (now young adults) are getting in, so privacy and bathroom time are not an issue.

I was in the same position about 10 years ago. We went on a 9 day cruise with our daughter who had just graduated from The University of Deleware and was about to start her PhD at North Carolina.

We chose a cabin for 3 and did not have any problems. We (hubby and I) had the lower bed/s and daughter climbed up to the top. When she wanted privacy or thoughtfully gave us privacy, she went to a lounge and read her neurobiology text that made everybody think she was a nerd! If we needed more bathroom time, I would volunteer to go to the locker room or would put my makeup on in the public bathroom/ladies lounge. I guess since we introduced the girls to cruising in INSIDE rooms for 4 that were tiny by today's standard they thought nothing of sharing with parents even when they had been living on own for 4 years.

If the attitude of all 3 people is good -- no problem. If there is tension at home and some seperation need then 2 cabins would be better. The real problem here is that you would be 2 and single with the single supplement on the cabin for 1 which makes the price horrible. No 3rd person discount.

Here's what we found out. Yes you actually can get a balcony and an inside cabin for 3 a little bit less (about $70) than three of us in one mini-suite. The balcony cabin was a guarantee only though, no cabin number. If we had pushed it maybe we might have been able to get a balcony with an adjacent inside, but we have never had a mini and decided to do it. Three of us in a mini-suite on this cruise for $2600 total, including a $75 OBC. Looking forward to sailing again.

Here's what we found out. Yes you actually can get a balcony and an inside cabin for 3 a little bit less (about $70) than three of us in one mini-suite. The balcony cabin was a guarantee only though, no cabin number. If we had pushed it maybe we might have been able to get a balcony with an adjacent inside, but we have never had a mini and decided to do it. Three of us in a mini-suite on this cruise for $2600 total, including a $75 OBC. Looking forward to sailing again.

It will work because you all want it to work. I need my space so would go with the balcony and inside. I have never felt the mini-suite is that much nicer than the balcony but just my opinion. Have a great cruise.

Thanks all. Sure price is an issue. We get along pretty well with our son so that part shouldnt be an issue, being together in the mini. In a perfect world I'd just get the balcony and an inside, but am not gonna pay double the price. Will likely take the mini. Any other suggestions?

Yes, there's a Fall Caribbean sale going on. Make sure you book the mini with the sale price and a discount from your TA. We've done a mini with our 6'2" son and were comfortable.

Archived