Wanted: evening gown possibilities

While looking at over 100 dresses online from a variety of prom gown websites, I saw a major problem with trying to get my own for a cruise: none of them have the kind of cut, which I call t-shirt style, at the top that will cover all suit strap marks. That means there must be a small neckline. The dresses with thick straps at the top are not an option for me because my armpits must also be covered. I hate any amount of cleavage. I wear a suit with wide straps, not the spaghetti type. Can someone recommend a website for a selection of formal dresses with this style on top and an A-line skirt on the bottom? Do the fashion police say if it covers everything, it is not a formal evening gown?

Hi friend!

Because prom gowns are aimed at teens, they're not likely to be the modest style you mentioned. Try googling "mother of the bride" or "mother of the wedding" for options like you mentioned. Also, a brand called Bella formals has a "modest prom" line; however you cannot buy directly from their site but perhaps you can find them in a boutique or another site.

What about something like this or is it too much cleavage?

A little piece of the self-fabric could eliminate the cleavage.

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/JS-Collections-Womens-Shadow-Stripe-Dress/4799188/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Or something with a little bolero?

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/JS-Collections-Womens-Metallic-Brocade-3-piece-Skirt-Set/4799161/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Hi friend!

Because prom gowns are aimed at teens, they're not likely to be the modest style you mentioned. Try googling "mother of the bride" or "mother of the wedding" for options like you mentioned. Also, a brand called Bella formals has a "modest prom" line; however you cannot buy directly from their site but perhaps you can find them in a boutique or another site.

I take it today's teens hate modest dresses, that my preferred style is considered "old" to them. It must be the desire to look sexy that drives them because I am not sexy. Of course, I do not hate all prom dresses; I think many are beautiful. I just can't wear one. This is the best advice I have received so far. Thanks for the suggestion, Erin.

I have 2 very nice dresses I bought at Cache on the clearance rack a few years back. They tend to have beautiful dresses for women, not teen style, for 70% off or more on back racks. I have a plain black long gown with a strip of pearls or beads under the breast.

I imagine you can dress up a basic dress that is inexpensive by just adding something like that as well.

I take it today's teens hate modest dresses, that my preferred style is considered "old" to them. It must be the desire to look sexy that drives them because I am not sexy. Of course, I do not hate all prom dresses; I think many are beautiful. I just can't wear one. This is the best advice I have received so far. Thanks for the suggestion, Erin.

Are you a teen? It's not quite clear if you are or are not and that can make a difference for recommendations.:confused:

You might take a look at Alfred Angelo website. They have separates and you can get an A-line long skirt with a top with as much coverage as you want. I wear a top with sheer long sleeves in chiffon. Go to the area of the website for mothers-of-the-bride for dresses. Formal dresses do not have to be bare at all. Some churches do not like the wedding party to be dressed in a way that shows lots of skin. Good luck.

I am kind of confused about the OP myself. When you say you "can't wear" dresses without sleeves, do you mean because of religious reasons or because you don't think that they flatter you?

I do think that most teens today like strapless or spaghetti strap prom dresses, but that has been the style for many years. If you are a teen, you might not be happy with the styles of mother-of-the bride dresses.

I think that there are bridesmaid dresses that have little bolero jackets that you might like - maybe a place like David's Bridal might have them?

I am kind of confused about the OP myself. When you say you "can't wear" dresses without sleeves, do you mean because of religious reasons or because you don't think that they flatter you?

klauer, In reading the OP's posts, it seems Andrea is concerned with bathing suit strap marks showing after being in the sun during the day.

Don't worry about strap marks...everyone will have them, and if you don't like them, use a bit of self-tanner....that will do the trick! Or, even make-up can "hide" strap marks!

Better yet, pull those straps aside when in the sun, when practical, and get a tan!

Just to be on the sensitive side, another possible reason to prefer higher neck tops are to cover scarring, such as surgical or burns. Now that I've started looking thru her eyes though, I notice that almost everything is strapless, almost strapless or plunging neckline. Not alot out there if you don't want to add a bolero jacket to every outfit..

I guess that I was confused about the "armpits must be covered" and absolutely no cleavage showing. I can see how it would be hard to find a youthful-looking dress with those requirements.

The OP really needs to come back and clarify a few things since many seem to be confused. Everyone is trying to help but no one quite knows how.

OK, I'm back. Here are my answers to your questions:

1. I am 33 years old, but people say I look much younger.

2. Cleavage is just ugly IMO, not against my religion.

3. My armpits must be covered because I do not shave them.

4. Self-tanning with the straps down does not interest me.

I hope that helps. Actually, some people are helping me a little bit. :)

Hi Andrea,

If you don't mind answering, what size/color are you looking for. Also, long, midcalf, above the knee or mini. I've been put on restriction for shopping for myself, but I would love to keep looking for you. Dillards had a gorgeous chocolate brown evening gown in the style I think you want,but I can't copy the pic.

Barb :D

Hi Andrea,

If you don't mind answering, what size/color are you looking for. Also, long, midcalf, above the knee or mini. I've been put on restriction for shopping for myself, but I would love to keep looking for you. Dillards had a gorgeous chocolate brown evening gown in the style I think you want,but I can't copy the pic.

Height: ~ 5-3

Weight: ~ 110

Shirt size: S or M

Pants size: 10 P

Hair color: Red

Hair length: Short

Eye color: Brown

Religion: Christian (Protestant)

Likes: Fancy patterns, multicolor, and sequins; midcalf and ankle-length skirts

Dislikes: Chartreuse (sp?), solid colors, miniskirts, mermaid and straight skirts

That should definitely be enough information to figure out what will be good for me. :)

I googled modest prom gowns and here are 2 sights that had very nice modest gowns with short sleeves.

AFORMALCHOICE.COM and SYDNEYSCLOSET.COM

Thanks! It looks like A Formal Choice specializes in modest gowns. I was really afraid no website had such a large selection of them anymore.

Ok, have you thought about doing a bolero jacket? It would cover any strap marks and greatly increase the number of dresses you could/would wear under it. Since it seems to be against the law to have anything semiformal in multicolors, they all seem to be solids, or if they have patterns, they lost the sleeves somewhere in production. The one black jacket is with the polka dots for show only, it might look cool with the dress next to it. Of course, it has the dreaded yellow/chartreuse in it. And may I say, you're restrictions make you no fun to shop for :D

17b6_3.jpgdd.jpg

dustyrosefront4_1.jpg02-12-1020-46.jpg

It looks like I have to order a short dress from A Formal Choice and request a few more inches on my skirt, then have another company add colors and sequins to it because it is impossible to find a dress exactly the way I want it in stock without alterations. Why does this have to be so hard when there are literally millions of dress styles available? I can now finally relax about dresses knowing there is a company that specializes in my favorite dress styles. Now that I have finally found what I need with some help here, all I want to think about is what I will be doing when I wear my dream dresses!

It looks like I have to order a short dress from A Formal Choice and request a few more inches on my skirt, then have another company add colors and sequins to it because it is impossible to find a dress exactly the way I want it in stock without alterations. Why does this have to be so hard when there are literally millions of dress styles available? I can now finally relax about dresses knowing there is a company that specializes in my favorite dress styles. Now that I have finally found what I need with some help here, all I want to think about is what I will be doing when I wear my dream dresses!

It may not have been as hard as you think......you were just looking in the wrong places.:)

Are there any seamtresses in your area? A good one could make exactly what you want.

Archived