Princess vs RCCL?

Sunshine101

Not much, IMO. We will go on either one based upon the itinerary. While each ship in their fleets do have some differences, not really any major ones though. Some of the Princess ships have uncovered balconies, while none of the RCCL ones do that I remember. Also, for something like a standard balcony cabin, the Princess cabins seem just a bit smaller than those of RCCL, but again nothing major.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one - just pick a trip you'd like to do. Good luck.

Hi folks!

Having only cruised RCCL, I'm wondering what the difference is between Princess and RCCL? I'm thinking of trying Princess, but am wondering what the differences are?

Many thanks!!

We sailed the Grand Princess last October in the Mediterranean. In the past we had only sailed with RCCL and Celebrity. We absolutely loved Princess for two specific reasons: MUTS (Movies under the Stars) and Laundry Facilities - which RCCL does not have! I think RCCL has introduced AnyTime Dining, but we tried it on Princess for the first time. DH and I loved it so much, we have vowed never to go back to a set dining time. We are in our mid-30's and prefer to rest after shore excursions and have a late dinner. Princess also has the best pizza IMHO at sea. Give it a try - I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hi folks!

Having only cruised RCCL, I'm wondering what the difference is between Princess and RCCL? I'm thinking of trying Princess, but am wondering what the differences are?

Many thanks!!

We've sailed on RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas, as well as the Crown Princess and Caribbean Princess. While we enjoy the "wow" factor of RCCL's ships, we've decided that we have a slight preference for the Princess cruise experience.

For Princess:

1. We very much enjoyed the Movies Under the Stars on Princess...we thought it was a silly gimmick at first, but it turned out to be something we really liked.
  2. We found the meals served in the casual dining areas to be very interesting and tasty, with many ethnic choices.
  3. Quality of the food, including desserts, seemed better.
  4. We also found the extended hours of the casual dining venues (as compared to the more limited hours on RCCL) to be a better fit for us.

For RCCL:

1. We liked the layout of the Windjammer on RCCL much better.
  2. Dining room service on RCCL was better
  3. The features of the RCCL ships are hard to beat. C'mon, an ice show at sea? How can you top that?

We really do enjoy both cruise lines a lot, but Princess is a slightly better fit for us, although I think everyone should cruise on a Voyager or Freedom class ship at least once, just for the experience!

We also have been on RCCL cruises for a number of cruises, but have decided to try Princess...we can't wait! RCCL has drastically decreased the benefits for previous guests, even taking away some of the previous perks for the various loyalty levels (ie: platinum, Diamond, etc.). We found no reason to remain loyal to them any longer and have decided to spread our wings. The more we read on these boards, the more we find that we are really looking forward to Princess :)

We love Royal Caribbean and are thoroughly satisfied with their product, but decided to try the Caribbean Princess in Aug 2008 because of the convenience of leaving from Brooklyn, because the price was $2000 less (for 4 ppl) than Explorer of the Seas, and we felt tired of the same menus/entertainment/etc.

We were delighted to discover that there were some things Princess does better, and other things RCI does better, and it all balanced out to an equivalent cruising experience.

To be honest, the things that are important to us (WOW factor of the ships, favorable space-to-passenger ratio so the ship doesn't feel crowded, overal energy level onboard, etc) give RCI a huge advantage for us. However, that didn't stop us from choosing the Caribbean Princess for our next cruise.

IMHO - if your first choice is RCI, then Princess is the cruise line that comes closest.

Like better about Princess - fresh water in pools, laundry rooms, MUTS during the day, the best cheesecake available every dinner

Like better about RCCL - beds more comfortable, Windjammer more open, self serve ice cream, better soups

Like better about Princess - fresh water in pools, laundry rooms, MUTS during the day, the best cheesecake available every dinner

Like better about RCCL - beds more comfortable, Windjammer more open, self serve ice cream, better soups

The larger RCI ships (Freedom class) have fresh water pools, and when those ships go into their scheduled drydock, they will be fitted with Outdoor Movie screens like there are on the Oasis class now.

On Princess, you won't find the WOW factor of the ice shows, promenade, parades, multi-deck MDRs. If those things are important to you, you may miss RCCL. However, those of us who prefer Princess appreciate the smaller, more intimate MDRs, the more subdued color scheme, better food in the MDRs (subjective, I know!), MUTS, freshwater pools, and 24 hr buffet so you can really eat on YOUR schedule. I think the best advice is to give Princess a try --- I have yet to find a cruise line that is perfect in every way, so we try to find the strengths in each.

On Princess, you won't find the WOW factor of the ice shows, promenade, parades, multi-deck MDRs. If those things are important to you, you may miss RCCL. However, those of us who prefer Princess appreciate the smaller, more intimate MDRs, the more subdued color scheme, better food in the MDRs (subjective, I know!), MUTS, freshwater pools, and 24 hr buffet so you can really eat on YOUR schedule. I think the best advice is to give Princess a try --- I have yet to find a cruise line that is perfect in every way, so we try to find the strengths in each.

I agree......I think they're both great.....I book itinerary first, then price.

I do feel Princess is more of a nautical experience, RCCL more of a resort hotel experience.

On Princess I like the better room layout with more accessible closet, fresh water pool, 24 hour buffet, fast food (hamburger, pizza, etc) by the pool, MUTS, more intimate feeling and better service.

On RCI ships they have ice skating, wall climbing, larger sport court and inline skating of which I do none. They do have JR but it is $4.95. Only some of their pools are fresh water. I don't like the massive feeling. RCI seems to have gone more and more to the nickel and dime route where we have this but....it costs extra. I really resent that attitude. All inclusive is more my style.

Princess lets me bring my own wine aboard and RCI does not. Evidentally from the boards here RCI is not letting pax bring on their favorite soft drink (I like Pepsi and not Coke) and even water.

I am not loyal to any one cruise line but like Princess better and intend to do more cruises with them.

I think a lot of what we think has been covered above. We really like the option of bringing wine on board at embarcation and then paying the corkage. However, RCI has the best cheese plate available from Room service for the Happy Hour Martini time!

We enjoy the Climbing wall and the skating. We did both on EOTS last week.

I agree Princess has by far the best Pizza available on a ship.

We also think Princess Fine Art has better prices than Park West, although we like the 'Mystery" art bidding that Park West does.

I also like the little feature of your name outside your cabin and a place for 'tree mail'

And the body lotion/shampoo/conditioner amenities on Princess. With all the weight and liquid restrictions on flying, onboard body lotion is great.

We just hit Platinum with Princess and can't wait for the 'Priority Boarding' in Southampton.

Princess certainly seems to cost a lot less than RCCL. I don't exactly have sticker shock as I am planning an Allure cruise in April of 2012. But, for the same money, same time of year, a balcony on the Allure is about the price of a minisuite on the Crown.

I am going to squeeze the four of us (sofa bed and pullman for the two kids) into the balcony on the Allure because it has: flowriders, 3-D Movie theather, the play - Chicago, zipline, and just much more than we can get on Princess. The kids will be 12 and 14 and they will have a great time on the Allure and have more kids aboard to hang out with at the teen clubs. At this point, it just seems like a better family vacation.

RCL has far more family activities and a livelier/louder atmosphere with lots of PA announcements. Princess is more sedate with a demographic that is probably 10 years older. DW prefers Princess deserts. We both agree that Princess has the finest pizza of any line we've cruised. We also like the buffet going 24hrs.

Archived