New RCI Loyalty Program - Will Carnival step up?

Here is a link to the article "RCI Ups Ante on Past Passenger Program" http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3903

Since Carnival seems to be exploring some options, do you think this will help to move them along? There are so many Platinum guests now, you'd think they'd be working on something meaningful for all of them instead of the same old, same old...

What are your thoughts?

So far, I cant figure out anything that will really benefit me.. if I had not quit purchasing the future cruise certs, I guess now if I had one I could combine it with a certificate (though I have yet to ever have a certificate for any RCL cruise that was offered for my Galveston cruises).

If no one on the RCL threads can explain the changes ... how can anyone say if Carnival will step up and compete. Compete with what?

Oh yea, now diamonds can get upgraded free ... assuming there arent so many diamond pluses in front of them they never get called ..but they are on the list now, even if way down. I didnt see that its changed, that the 3 highest ranking will get calls ...Id assume for a long time that lets me out too, always going to be at least 3 cabins with more cruises than me onboard.

OK how about this one. RCL used to allow us to combine our stock credit with balcony or other OBC ...it still says nothing about allowing us to combine with stock credit. If you bought stock in RCL, its still worthless as you cant combine with any other OBC.

Carnival DOES allow you to combine FCC with stock credit. yea for Carnival. RCL is the one who stepped down on this one, Carnival doesnt need to step up.

To further encourage passengers to book their next cruises while they are still on the existing trip, RCI is introducing a new onboard booking bonus. "What we've established is an exclusive opportunity to receive an onboard booking bonus (varies in value depending on tier, sailing)," says Betsy O'Rourke, senior vice president, marketing. "What's different is that it can be used along with existing saving certificates or balcony or suite discounts." Onboard credit will max out at $200 and, according to an announcement e-mail sent out this morning by RCI, you can now "use it with your Crown & Anchor Society Savings Certificate or your Balcony & Suite Discount."

One of the main advantages of the RCCL program over Carnival is the Concierge Lounge and/or nighly Diamond Event which features complimentary wine and champagne. Actually, the Concierge Lounge also offers complimentary beer and mixed drinks as well.

Carnival would be wise to consider such a program.

RCL giveth, RCL taketh away, RCK giveth back again but this time with conditions.

It's about time but...

1. No where does it say those upgrades are free. And I am willing to bet that they are not free.

2. This was a benefit that RCL took away and now gives back but only 40% of it.

3. I guess more offers is good? IDK.

4. Not bad if you are Diamond and use the internet. Otherwise it's worthless.

5. Two is better than one.

People still want their free booze. That would be big news.

RCL giveth, RCL taketh away, RCK giveth back again but this time with conditions.

It's about time but...

1. No where does it say those upgrades are free. And I am willing to bet that they are not free.

Bet accepted... they are free!

One of the main advantages of the RCCL program over Carnival is the Concierge Lounge and/or nighly Diamond Event which features complimentary wine and champagne. Actually, the Concierge Lounge also offers complimentary beer and mixed drinks as well.

Carnival would be wise to consider such a program.

With the number of Platinum guest on each sailing, I cant see them offering this anytime soon. Maybe if they started a new level for those with 25+ cruises, then it would still be a stretch for Carnival.

As long as they are filling the ship, dont count on anything substantial changing.

The concierge lounge is only offered for diamonds on Freedom class or higher ... (i.e. not Voyager or Mariner so again nothing for me if those are the two ships closest to me I would be going on).

I do believe the upgrades will be free ... but getting to the average diamond, if they still only call the top 3 people on the cruise, who have the most cruises, that leave me out. They say now they will not just count cruises, but how much you spent for your cabin, when you booked and add other crititeria. I still cant see this helping me much as I try and book as cheap as I can.

And yes I got the automated phone call message while I was in the shower, that said changes, but didnt mention any of them in the message.

The concierge lounge is only offered for diamonds on Freedom class or higher ... (i.e. not Voyager or Mariner so again nothing for me if those are the two ships closest to me I would be going on).

I do believe the upgrades will be free ... but getting to the average diamond, if they still only call the top 3 people on the cruise, who have the most cruises, that leave me out. They say now they will not just count cruises, but how much you spent for your cabin, when you booked and add other crititeria. I still cant see this helping me much as I try and book as cheap as I can.

And yes I got the automated phone call message while I was in the shower, that said changes, but didnt mention any of them in the message.

Actually FLY they had the lounge on the JOS (radiance class) and we were invited in one evening from a letter we received from guest services as some sort of promotion for getting 3 cruise credits on this cruise and staying in a JS. It was only 1 evening but it was nice. Food, beer and some mixed drinks for free in a nice comfortable room. Don't know about other RCL ships but it was nice.

I think Fire is right. There are way too many D & D+ RCCL cruisers so those upgrades aren't going to be worth much to anyone.

Maybe as CCL VIP ranks grow they might consider the Concierge Lounge idea, but I have been on cruises, especially the shorter ones, where DH and I were the only VIP's on board, so I don't think that is going to happen, at least on a nightly basis, anytime soon.

I have three to go to be Diamond on RCCL so I am very low on that upgrade list. Have to wait for natural attrition.

I don't cruise in order to reach a 'status'....as far as RCCL goes, it may take me YEARS to even get up to the next level.

Nothing they're offering sounds that enticing to me. As far as CCL 'stepping up' because of it, I really don't care if they do or don't.

All I want from a cruise is to get excellent service and better than decent food and I want them to stop cutting back. Screw the perks.

I don't cruise in order to reach a 'status'....as far as RCCL goes, it may take me YEARS to even get up to the next level.

Nothing they're offering sounds that enticing to me. As far as CCL 'stepping up' because of it, I really don't care if they do or don't.

All I want from a cruise is to get excellent service and better than decent food and I want them to stop cutting back. Screw the perks.

I agree with this, but unfortunately, it seems as though they are cutting back on some things. I cruise because I like to cruise, but as the prices have gone up, the other things have not kept pace. Will that keep me from cruising? No, it won't, but I would just like to have some of the things I used to have.

Hmmm nothing that they added (which seems to be mostly things they have been taking away) seems to bridge the gap for me. I still think that Carnival has more bang for the buck.

These are just some fine tuning the excellent program they currently have.

We were on the Radiance last month as Diamond. We enjoyed the free wine in a terrific room every night. They poured very generously and no one left without a full glass to take to dinner.

The coupon book, which use to be good, was silly - there wasn't a single coupon that didn't require spending money. It sounds like they are taking steps to correct that.

We were on Jewel of the Sea last month for a 10 day and just turned Diamond,we went for drinks (wine and Champagne) before dinner and after dinner.... before the show (5 -8 pm) every evening. It was held in a beautiful lounge and the host was awesome. It was not crowed at all and met some really nice people. It was a very nice touch. We have been on a lot of different lines and try to cruise twice a year. @ this time we pretty much go price point.

We were on the Radiance last month as Diamond. We enjoyed the free wine in a terrific room every night. They poured very generously and no one left without a full glass to take to dinner.

Their policy on letting you leave the lounge with a drink is very inconsistant. In April on the Navigator OTS, no one was allowed to leave the lounge with their drink.

CCL does offer 10 minutes free internet if you buy a package the first day on board.

So far, I cant figure out anything that will really benefit me.. if I had not quit purchasing the future cruise certs, I guess now if I had one I could combine it with a certificate (though I have yet to ever have a certificate for any RCL cruise that was offered for my Galveston cruises).

If no one on the RCL threads can explain the changes ... how can anyone say if Carnival will step up and compete. Compete with what?

Oh yea, now diamonds can get upgraded free ... assuming there arent so many diamond pluses in front of them they never get called ..but they are on the list now, even if way down. I didnt see that its changed, that the 3 highest ranking will get calls ...Id assume for a long time that lets me out too, always going to be at least 3 cabins with more cruises than me onboard.

+1 on that. We are Platinum on RCI and there is nothing here that would make me go back and pay their high prices.:mad:

I'm actually pretty satisfied with the current Platinum benefits. The free laundry is awesome (by far my favorite perk) and the rest are pretty nice too. If they gave more I would graciously accept, but I don't expect it. I feel that the perks are in line with the price of Carnival's cruises.

I have started building my cruise credits with RCI too, but its going to be a long time before I get to any substantial level. So I'm not really concerned with these new offerings, I'm sure they will change several times by the time I get to Diamond.

+1 on that. We are Platinum on RCI and there is nothing here that would make me go back and pay their high prices.:mad:

Oh I plan on keeping on cruising both, just dont see anything to get excited about. If I were like LHP with 40? cruises on RCL I think I could get some free upgrades, but as it is, it sure is lucky I dont just cruise for the benefits, though I have to admit, I want to be a higher tier. (just to show a higher card level) Now how silly is that, that the most important perk is the color of the card. I havent even gotten around to trying out the free laundry on Carnival.

:) We have 20 + Celebrity sailings, 4 Royal ,5 Carnival a Princess, Cunard and a few others.

So far this Carnival Fantasy 7/17/10 has shown us no "perks" . We Chose Carnival for the kids, we're bring 10 on board ranging from:

43 Single parent with 16 & 13 yo girls

30 something parents with 9 yo girl and 5 yo twins boy, girl

and Grand Ma & Grandpa who are paying . It should be fun, if not I'll be the red head in a motorized scooter at the bar :eek:

But I wander off topic. ....

As I said , we usually go Celebrity. We've been Captains Club members since 1990 and have always enjoyed the extras.

I usually book thru Captains Club, getting the best deal over all the travel agents. CC adjusted the price down 3x on our last cruise, cash back not a ship board credit . From assistance at the pier for my Medical euipment, specia ldiet and on board assistance , I was never left wanting ANYTHING.

Carnival seems to want to book you and promise you anything and once booked every little need is a BIG TROUBLE to them. But this a cruise for all the grand kids so I'll plod along. I've been to all the ports, so I 'll have fun watching them have fun. When they are off to excursions, or tenderded to Half Moon Cay I'll hit the SPA for a massage.

I do intend to write a review on completion of the cruise highlighting traveling with 10 on any time dining and accessibility issues for me.

We did do a Celebrity 18 day Alaska cruise & land tour last year and it was wonderful. Every excursion and trip was accessible and they bent over backwards making our trip wonderful for us and not annoying to the other passengers who helped and waited patiently for me to get on and off the bus. The had me go on first and then everyone boarded and we were off and running. "A good time was had by all" and I still get e-mails from many other passengers.

Archived