Why did NCL get rid of the self service laundry?

Being a family of 5, I liked doing laundry once in the middle of the cruise.

That way, we can pack half the amount of clothes.

:mad:

No need to worry...

NCL still has laundry facilities. Only THEY do the laundry while you do...well, "whatever". :rolleyes:

So have your room steward take care of the laundry while you and your family enjoy yourselves doing something fun!

From what I was told the laundry rooms weren't used enough, the space was more valuable to them as storage for the cabin stewards amoung other things.

I don't believe that the space was better used for storage, now maybe its the increased profits for them doing our laundry that they like...I wish they had left the machines and started charging for them like Carnival does. Its a royal pain to pack enough clothing for a week in a warm climate with kids and I really don't like paying 20-25 dollars a bag for them (NCL laundry facilities)to wash my clothing.:confused:

I agree with Seashark. We used to use them as well but have found out that them doing it is much more relaxing.

When we did our own, we had to stay with it at all times or some other "nice" cruiser would empty the machines for us and take them. This and the fact they were usually broken, kind of took the fun out of the experience.:D

The reason NCL gave at the time was the fire hazard posed by the dryers and irons. They seized this opportunity shortly after Carnival had a fire onboard that made national news. Even though the fire (as I remember) was in the main laundry not a passenger laundry, it proved the point that laundries are dangerous places.

I have used the onboard facilities on long cruises and once when we got norovirus and wanted to wash everything we had worn. But having spent a bit of time in the laundries aboard CCL, Princess and NCL ships I can tell you two things.

1. They are very underused and probably are a bad use of space for the cruiselines

2. The equipment is awful and even at $20 a bag for shipboard laudry specials - you'll spend nearly that much and half a day doing laundry. The machines often eat quarters (they must be related to the slots upstairs), they often time do not spin as dry as usual, and the driers are so bad that it may take four cycles to get a load of whites (undies and tee shirts) dry.

The irons are in terrible shape. Usually the temperature control doesn't work (too cool or melt down hot) and the plates are dirty and scratched so they can stain or snag clothes.

I would like a nice efficient laundry, but on the five cruises where I've used them they have just been bad.

On a lighter note, here's my laundry story from the Carnival Freedom when we were sailing the Mediterannean. There were three of us in the laundry on our Nice,France day (we were boycotting France and doing laundry instead) anyway - the machines were eating quarters, not working right, the soap dispenser machine was hung up and the front desk was being less than helpful. They dispatched a "repairman" who came looked to see if the machines were plugged in, shrugged and left. So, we called for a different guy, who did bring a screwdriver with him but was less than useful. Finally I picked up the phone and asked the front desk to send up three complimentary bloody Mary's, because for what we had wasted in quarters, we could have bought drinks. They were so astounded at this weird request the hotel manager and a real repairman came to check out the situation. Some of the machines were finally fixed enough that by combining our loads we all got our wash done. You've never really "bonded" with someone til they'll let you wash your "drawers" with theirs. :p

Bottom line - I either bit the bullet and send a few pieces out or hand was in the bathroom sink

Enjoy!

MB

I have used the onboard facilities on long cruises and once when we got norovirus and wanted to wash everything we had worn. But having spent a bit of time in the laundries aboard CCL, Princess and NCL ships I can tell you two things.

1. They are very underused and probably are a bad use of space for the cruiselines

2. The equipment is awful and even at $20 a bag for shipboard laudry specials - you'll spend nearly that much and half a day doing laundry. The machines often eat quarters (they must be related to the slots upstairs), they often time do not spin as dry as usual, and the driers are so bad that it may take four cycles to get a load of whites (undies and tee shirts) dry.

The irons are in terrible shape. Usually the temperature control doesn't work (too cool or melt down hot) and the plates are dirty and scratched so they can stain or snag clothes.

I would like a nice efficient laundry, but on the five cruises where I've used them they have just been bad.

Bottom line - I either bit the bullet and send a few pieces out or hand was in the bathroom sink

Enjoy!

MB

This is totally the opposite experience I've had on Cunard. The laundry rooms are very very popular, almost too popular. The machines are in good repair and soap is provided...and...it's all free, no quarters needed.

We'll be on NCL this summer for the first time in a very long time and I'm very disappointed there is no self serve laundry. I don't think I'd trust the ship's laundry to do a cold water wash for me.

... I don't think I'd trust the ship's laundry to do a cold water wash for me.

I, personally, have not utilized the ships laundry service, but my DS has used them weekly for years. He's only lost 2 items, that he's aware of, over the years (socks don't count), and has not had any clothing damaged in the process. Just letting you know his experiences. Hopefully yours will also be good.

I don't think I'd trust the ship's laundry to do a cold water wash for me.

I personally really trust the ship's laundry services! A few years ago on the Sun I did the laundry bag deal and when I got my clothes back (all nicely folded) some shorts I had been rolling up a bit were neatly hemmed! Very happy!

The washers and dryers NCL really weren't commerial machines to begin with. Too many passengers in an attempt to save time, OVERLOADED the machines and abused them. Fights broke out among passenges who didn't watch their loads of laundry, as others would dump their clothes on the floor if they weren't around...

Simply put, we met the enemies of the self serve laundries, and they were us...

Because of the flooding from overloading, NCL pulled the self serve laundries to avoid a hefty Coast Guard penalty. NCL took the attitude if we have to man the self serve laundries to keep the peace, we might as well as close them... We have a ship's laundry/cleaner service which can do the laundry for a price in place without the fuss and/or complaints... The self serve laundries gave NCL more headaches than they were worth...

And human nature. People tend to treat others people's equipment with abuse they would never do with their own equipment....

The washers and dryers NCL really weren't commerial machines to begin with. Too many passengers in an attempt to save time, OVERLOADED the machines and abused them. Fights broke out among passenges who didn't watch their loads of laundry, as others would dump their clothes on the floor if they weren't around...

Simply put, we met the enemies of the self serve laundries, and they were us...

Because of the flooding from overloading, NCL pulled the self serve laundries to avoid a hefty Coast Guard penalty. NCL took the attitude if we have to man the self serve laundries to keep the peace, we might as well as close them... We have a ship's laundry/cleaner service which can do the laundry for a price in place without the fuss and/or complaints... The self serve laundries gave NCL more headaches than they were worth...

And human nature. People tend to treat others people's equipment with abuse they would never do with their own equipment....

This is the best explanation.

When we were on Pearl in 2008 (b2b cruises) I used self-service laundry and it wasn't a good experience - the dryers had SAND in the filters - people had been putting clothes with sand still on in washers and dryers. And it was a waste of 1/2 day for me going to and fro the laundry room.

I prefer laundry bag special - I'm now an expert in packing SO MUCH into one bag very carefully - about $75 worth for $25. Takes about 10 mins and I'm able to relax and receive clean clothes the next day or 2.

Main Entry: ox·y·mo·ron

Pronunciation: \ˌäk-sē-ˈmȯr-ˌän\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural ox·y·mo·rons also ox·y·mo·ra \-ˈmȯr-ə\

Etymology: Late Greek oxymōron, from neuter of oxymōros pointedly foolish, from Greek oxys sharp, keen + mōros foolish

Date: 1657

: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as LAUNDRY ON VACATION); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements (as LAUNDRY ON VACATION)

— ox·y·mo·ron·ic \-mə-ˈrä-nik, -mȯ-\ adjective

— ox·y·mo·ron·i·cal·ly \-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Why get rid of self-service laundry?

1. The machines are terribly expensive. The special "marine use" laundry machines cost about 10 times more than land based models - ands must be approved by the US Coast Guard, the Insurance Company, and Flag State Inspectors. These machines break down very often, and are essentially designed to be thrown away rather than repaired. The ship has no room to store spares, so must fly in replacements. Very expensive.

2. Self service laundries are an additional fire hazard on ships.

3. Self service laundries are a constant source of noise complaints from passengers living in nearby cabins. No mattter where you place a self service laundry, there is going to be somebody living next to, above, or below it - and complaining.

4. Space is very valuable on a ship. There is never enough storage space for everything. Why give up valuable space for a service that costs the company extra money?

5. Self-service laundries do not make any profit; they always lose money. They also cut into profits made by the ship's laundry.

Main Entry: ox·y·mo·ron

Pronunciation: \ˌäk-sē-ˈmȯr-ˌän\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural ox·y·mo·rons also ox·y·mo·ra \-ˈmȯr-ə\

Etymology: Late Greek oxymōron, from neuter of oxymōros pointedly foolish, from Greek oxys sharp, keen + mōros foolish

Date: 1657

: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as LAUNDRY ON VACATION); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements (as LAUNDRY ON VACATION)

— ox·y·mo·ron·ic \-mə-ˈrä-nik, -mȯ-\ adjective

— ox·y·mo·ron·i·cal·ly \-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Angie-

This has to win the "post of the day" award... If there was one!

Why get rid of self-service laundry?

1. The machines are terribly expensive. The special "marine use" laundry machines cost about 10 times more than land based models - ands must be approved by the US Coast Guard, the Insurance Company, and Flag State Inspectors. These machines break down very often, and are essentially designed to be thrown away rather than repaired. The ship has no room to store spares, so must fly in replacements. Very expensive.

2. Self service laundries are an additional fire hazard on ships.

3. Self service laundries are a constant source of noise complaints from passengers living in nearby cabins. No mattter where you place a self service laundry, there is going to be somebody living next to, above, or below it - and complaining.

4. Space is very valuable on a ship. There is never enough storage space for everything. Why give up valuable space for a service that costs the company extra money?

5. Self-service laundries do not make any profit; they always lose money. They also cut into profits made by the ship's laundry.

"Special Marine Laundry"? The ones I saw looked just like the ones at a laundrymat....nothing "marine special" that I could see - I really think whoever said MONEY MONEY MONEY had it right....:rolleyes:

"Special Marine Laundry"? The ones I saw looked just like the ones at a laundrymat....nothing "marine special" that I could see - I really think whoever said MONEY MONEY MONEY had it right....:rolleyes:

I suspect that you are not a qualified authority on ocean going laundry machinery.

I have been designing and supervising marine laundry operations for decades.

The machines used on a self service ship laundry must be equipped with heat sensors to shut everything down to avoid fire.

They must have back-flow preventers on water lines to avoid contaminating the ship's water supply.

They are required to rely primarily on spinning rather than heating elements to dry your clothing.

They must be certified to cause a minimum of vibration through the decks they must be attached to.

They must operate on 220v, 50 cycles. And they must have voltage stabilizers to avoid problems from spikes in the ship's electric power.

The bulkheads surrounding a ship's self service laundry must have higher fire resistance ratings, That means thicker and more expensive steel plates.

The fire suppression system in a self service laundry must have the same capabilities as the one in the galley. It's more expensive.

The fire and smoke detectors in a self service laundry must be fare more sensitive than the ones in your cabin. That means more expensive.

Essentially all of this equipment is not available through Sears & Roebuck or Walmart.

Everything must be specially constructed, tested, and certified by a laboratory for marine use.

That means they cost plenty more money.

And yes, as I posted earlier, it is ALWAYS about the money - for the passengers and the cruise line.

If you travel on ships that are marketed to the lower income levels, you are going to find plenty of passengers who cannot really afford to travel - but they go anyway.

I suspect that you are not a qualified authority on ocean going laundry machinery.

I have been designing and supervising marine laundry operations for decades.

The machines used on a self service ship laundry must be equipped with heat sensors to shut everything down to avoid fire.

They must have back-flow preventers on water lines to avoid contaminating the ship's water supply.

They are required to rely primarily on spinning rather than heating elements to dry your clothing.

They must be certified to cause a minimum of vibration through the decks they must be attached to.

They must operate on 220v, 50 cycles. And they must have voltage stabilizers to avoid problems from spikes in the ship's electric power.

The bulkheads surrounding a ship's self service laundry must have higher fire resistance ratings, That means thicker and more expensive steel plates.

The fire suppression system in a self service laundry must have the same capabilities as the one in the galley. It's more expensive.

The fire and smoke detectors in a self service laundry must be fare more sensitive than the ones in your cabin. That means more expensive.

Essentially all of this equipment is not available through Sears & Roebuck or Walmart.

Everything must be specially constructed, tested, and certified by a laboratory for marine use.

And yes, as I posted earlier, it is ALWAYS about the money - for the passengers and the cruise line.

If you travel on ships that are marketed to the lower income levels, you are going to find plenty of passengers who cannot really afford to travel - but they go anyway.

glad to know where to look for a laundry expert when i need one....now on to the next silly topic...after i finish rinsing our my laundry and hanging it on the balcony to dry....(thats a joke)

and by the way, if NCL is for Lower income...Bring it on...

So are they pulling all that expensive equipment out of all the floors that had the laundry facilities? And I don't get the crack about SEARS or Walmart....and lower income levels?

Just because I don't chooose to spend $$ per person to have laundry done, it has nothing to do with what we can afford, and by the way the reason I sail on NCL and Carnival has nothing to do with my income level...

how very silly....;););)

My first cruise was on Carnival Triumph, which had a coin-operated laundromat. I used it twice and it was fine.

Last year, on the Pearl's 14 day Panama Canal repo cruise, I used the $20.00 a bag deal. They did a wonderful job. My shirts were hung on hangers, and undies were folded neatly in a wicker basket.

I'm leaving on a cruise tomorrow, and I plan to use the bag special again.

Archived