The Great Jean Debate!

rothjer

I was recently reading over Celebrity's policy on dress code, just to see for myself. Contrary to what has been said on these forums, there seems to be no indication that jeans are not acceptable;

Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Proper dining attire

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

-----

I thought I'd seen it... Search on the term "jeans" from the home page...

Perhaps I should have provided more explination.

It has been my experience on these forums, that many people are quick to use policy and rules to explain why certain things ought to be a certain way. As a general rule, I accepted this to be true and although participated in the odd discussion of uniform, I really was neutral to it all the time.

Well, what a shock I got last night, when searching for information on X's website, I decided to check out the dress code standards. Nowhere did it mention jeans, nowhere in the numerous links to dress related FAQ's did it mention anything of the sort.

I found it a little interesting that we have so many dicussions and debates over uniform, and so many people preech that X's website is the established rule. I am not sure where the whole jeans issue came from, then, has the policy changed as of late and im just the last one to hear about it?

Proper dining attire

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

-----

I thought I'd seen it... Search on the term "jeans" from the home page...

This is kind of interesting, the majority of people who cruise would not go ahead and do a search in this manner, they would direct themselves to the "before you cruise" topic and go from there. Both in this section and in the FAQ's there is nothing about jeans, and it is the same as the verbage I copied and pasted into my OP....why the inconsistency?

It will start with jeans... and somebody will wear jeans with holes.

Then it will move on to t-shirts... and here come the holy t-shirts.

Then we'll see flip-flops... someone will try to go barefoot next.

And, before you know it, we'll be CARNIVAL....

Personally, I look forward to dressing up for a fine meal and some entertainment. I wouldn't fathom having a filet mignon and some DP or Cristal in jeans and a t-shirt.

But then again, that is MY opinion; which is only AN opinion; and not necessarily THE opinion.

Well, what a shock I got last night, when searching for information on X's website, I decided to check out the dress code standards. Nowhere did it mention jeans, nowhere in the numerous links to dress related FAQ's did it mention anything of the sort.

This isn't new. It's been debated before. Here's one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=978223&highlight=jeans

This one hasn't been locked, but many end up that way.

For the record here is a Celebrity website link that does mention jeans under proper dining attire under the "before six" heading:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000yUXyaxkoSDsfzmrt_noB133:12hdbcuh7;jsessionid=0000ur7mqhDq3XvmdVzwd4_7WsM:12hdbcuh7?pagename=proper_dining_attire&cS=SIDENAV

Phil

This isn't new. It's been debated before. Here's one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=978223&highlight=jeans

This one hasn't been locked, but many end up that way.

For the record here is a Celebrity website link that does mention jeans under proper dining attire under the "before six" heading:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000yUXyaxkoSDsfzmrt_noB133:12hdbcuh7;jsessionid=0000ur7mqhDq3XvmdVzwd4_7WsM:12hdbcuh7?pagename=proper_dining_attire&cS=SIDENAV

Phil

Thanks for your insights, however, I think this is still besides the point. Befor six it does mention jeans, but also shorts which is specifically exempt from dress code as stated above the statement above the one, while it menions nothing about jeans. Not sure what all the fuss has been about this whole time. I would have assumed just by reading peoples comments that there was a 100% definitive black and white answer to this, where X's dresscode for the night neither specifically or indirectly that jeans are not allowed.

People are so quick to assume and pass judgement. I am not interested in stirring up any trouble at all. Simply pointing out that from a consumers perspective, especially one who has not been on these forums so frequently, it is CONFUSING!

in regards to the poster who said "next thing this will be Carnival" Well I probably would have thought the same, but last year we sailed on Carnival for the first time and people all dressed very nice for dinner. In fact I noticed no major dress differences than our previous cruises on RCL and HAL? On every cruise there has been 1 or 2 rebels but then again who cares!!!!!!!! I am leaving on Solstice next week and I am going to enjoy a great vacation with my wife and kids and I could care less what anybody else wears.....I am not going to let anyones interpretation of the dress code ruin my vacation

I was recently reading over Celebrity's policy on dress code, just to see for myself. Contrary to what has been said on these forums, there seems to be no indication that jeans are not acceptable;

Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

For ROTHJER and anyone else who is misled by the OP's first post:

If you want to know Celebrity's POLICY, you need to go to the primary area of Celebrity's website where proper dining attire is discussed. A FAQ is always a secondary source of information, and in this case, the FAQ does not include ALL of the information that is contained in the primary site (the ONBOARD EXPERIENCE section), where the dress code is laid out in detail.

Jeans ARE specifically mentioned: "For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés."

That seems to be a pretty clear statement. For the whole context, please go to Celebrity.com to see the whole dress code.

For your convenience, I have copied it below.

Go to:

www.celebrity.com

then to

ONBOARD EXPERIENCE

then to

DINING

then to

PROPER DINING ATTIRE

and you will find the following POLICY:

Proper Dining Attire

A delightful break from the ordinary, dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience.

Smart Casual and Above

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés. (My change of font color).

Renting formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit Cruiseline Formalwear

Formal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include activities such as the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner and the Captain's Farewell Dinner. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The schedule above outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy on your cruise.

Thanks for your insights, however, I think this is still besides the point. Befor six it does mention jeans, but also shorts which is specifically exempt from dress code as stated above the statement above the one, while it menions nothing about jeans. Not sure what all the fuss has been about this whole time. I would have assumed just by reading peoples comments that there was a 100% definitive black and white answer to this, where X's dresscode for the night neither specifically or indirectly that jeans are not allowed.

People are so quick to assume and pass judgement. I am not interested in stirring up any trouble at all. Simply pointing out that from a consumers perspective, especially one who has not been on these forums so frequently, it is CONFUSING!

I'm answering your initial post and assuming you mean the main dining room. You say it mentions nothing about jeans being unacceptable on the X website. From the link I gave it does:

"Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés."

Phil

Ok, lets put this to bed....it has been rehashed ad-nauseum on here over and over, this is one debate that will never die......bottom line none of us on here are on Celebrity's payroll.....lets keep the dress code enforcement to the proper authorities...millions of opinions and people who have the ability to "cut and paste" rules are not going to change anything.......Wear what ever you are comfortable wearing......either the staff on ship will ignore it, or they will make you leave.....all of us on here acting like experts will not change or diminish this at all......

Ok, lets put this to bed....it has been rehashed ad-nauseum on here over and over, this is one debate that will never die......bottom line none of us on here are on Celebrity's payroll.....lets keep the dress code enforcement to the proper authorities...millions of opinions and people who have the ability to "cut and paste" rules are not going to change anything.......Wear what ever you are comfortable wearing......either the staff on ship will ignore it, or they will make you leave.....all of us on here acting like experts will not change or diminish this at all......

If you don't like the thread, then please ignore the thread.

Once somone has started a thread and posts misinformation, it is not unreasonable for experienced cruisers to provide more comprehensive, correct information for the benefit of new cruisers who might be misled by the original post.

Waterlilly; I am simply proving the point that there is some serious confusion and overlap in the policy statements itself, perhaps that is what the issue is. For example:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Why doesn't Celebrity add here that jeans an unacceptable too??Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Seems a bit confusing to me. Perhaps X should decide to outright say NO or make it more black and white. Most people who read guidelines (and I used guideline rather than policy because a policy would be written in a comprehensive way with more of a definitive statement and no overlap) who might not be member of CC could easily get confused by this policy, or easily misread (just like I did) the part about this not being acceptable after 6pm especially in light of the fact that a few paragraphs above they only mention "not shorts and flip flops" outrightly.

IMO I work in the policy writing business (Human Resources), and simply, such a statement or series of statements such as those on X's website do not provide a clear yes or no, black and white expectation. I summrise this is due to X's approach at not turning customers away from their brand. I do not understand, if it actually is the policy, then why they just can't come out with a statement and say NO JEANS ALLOWED!? LOL so much confusion and disagreement for nothing. Say it or don't, just seems confusing to me, and I am sure many other passengers.

Waterlilly; I am simply proving the point that there is some serious confusion and overlap in the policy statements itself, perhaps that is what the issue is. For example:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Why doesn't Celebrity add here that jeans an unacceptable too??Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Seems a bit confusing to me. Perhaps X should decide to outright say NO or make it more black and white. Most people who read guidelines (and I used guideline rather than policy because a policy would be written in a comprehensive way with more of a definitive statement and no overlap) who might not be member of CC could easily get confused by this policy, or easily misread (just like I did) the part about this not being acceptable after 6pm especially in light of the fact that a few paragraphs above they only mention "not shorts and flip flops" outrightly.

IMO I work in the policy writing business (Human Resources), and simply, such a statement or series of statements such as those on X's website do not provide a clear yes or no, black and white expectation. I summrise this is due to X's approach at not turning customers away from their brand. I do not understand, if it actually is the policy, then why they just can't come out with a statement and say NO JEANS ALLOWED!? LOL so much confusion and disagreement for nothing. Say it or don't, just seems confusing to me, and I am sure many other passengers.

The problem is not with the policy as stated on the PROPER DINING ATTIRE statement of the dress code. That is quite clear.

The confusion comes from not including the same information on the FAQs page.

I also write policy manuals. FAQs pages are secondary sources of information, and the policy manual can exist without them. Errors in the FAQs pages are confusing, yes, but I'm sure you would agree that having an omission on a FAQs page does not change a policy that has been clearly stated.

I have no answer as to why Celebrity has not corrected the FAQs page, unless they are hedging their bets in a troubled economy. Perhaps they are hoping that most people will understand what is expected, yet they can still sell cruise berths to the few people who really, really want to wear jeans in the dining room.

If you really want to know what is expected and desired, then read the page on PROPER DINING ATTIRE. If you want a loophole, use the FAQs page as your defense.

Regardless of what you choose, you can be sure that Celebrity staff and other Celebrity passengers will treat you with respect once you are on the ship.

Once somone has started a thread and posts misinformation, it is not unreasonable for experienced cruisers to provide more comprehensive, correct information for the benefit of new cruisers who might be misled by the original post.

Exactly right. I try not to enter into opinions on dress code because there is never a winner, but if I see something posted that is not factually correct and may affect someones opinion on the subject then I'll reply.

Phil

Proper Dining Attire Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

This is under Why Celebrity? Go yo X website search jeans - scroll down - this is what you will find.

Celebrity needs to fix their website and they've been told countless times. You can't have two different versions of the dress code in different places on the website. They could clear up their own mess if they choose too.

Archived