Confused on bottled water situation: can we bring a case onboard?

krewzin

I've searched the boards and gotten mixed information, so please accept my apologies if this is a subject that has been discussed at length in past threads, and I somehow missed it.

WE are booked on Solstice for the Caribbean in late July, and our entire family of 4 are huge water drinkers.

In past cruises (on different cruise lines) we were supplied bottled water in our cabin, as a benefit to suite passengers. We kept it in the mini fridge, and always had enough to go around.

From what I've read, that is no longer the case, that even if you have booked a suite (one of our cabins is a Sky Suite)... bottled water must be purchased ($4?).

Since we are driving to the port....and as an alternative to purchasing a 'drink package....' it would be very easy for us to simply bring a case or 2 with us, place a luggage tag on it, and have it dropped off at our room.

So my question is 2 fold:

1. Is there always a charge for bottled water?

and if so....

2. Can I bring a case or 2, place Celebrity luggage tags on it and have it delivered to our cabins? Or is this not an acceptable practice?

Thank you!

Edited by krewzin

I've searched the boards and gotten mixed information, so please accept my apologies if this is a subject that has been discussed at length in past threads, and I somehow missed it.

WE are booked on Solstice for the Caribbean in late July, and our entire family of 4 are huge water drinkers.

In past cruises (on different cruise lines) we were supplied bottled water in our cabin, as a benefit to suite passengers. We kept it in the mini fridge, and always had enough to go around.

From what I've read, that is no longer the case, that even if you have booked a suite (one of our cabins is a Sky Suite)... bottled water must be purchased ($4?).

Since we are driving to the port....and as an alternative to purchasing a 'drink package....' it would be very easy for us to simply bring a case or 2 with us, place a luggage tag on it, and have it dropped off at our room.

So my question is 2 fold:

1. Is there always a charge for bottled water?

and if so....

2. Can I bring a case or 2, place Celebrity luggage tags on it and have it delivered to our cabins? Or is this not an acceptable practice?

Thank you!

Yes, you can bring bottled water and sodas onboard with you. You can either put a luggage tag on the case and it will be delivered to your stateroom or I have unloaded a case in my carry on and brought it onboard. Yes bottled water is around $4. Have you thought about getting Aqua Class? It comes with free bottled water and tea and I've read they will bring you as much as you can drink. One cruiser said she saved $400 over the cost of buying by the bottle.

Yes, you can bring bottled water and sodas onboard with you. You can either put a luggage tag on the case and it will be delivered to your stateroom or I have unloaded a case in my carry on and brought it onboard. Yes bottled water is around $4. Have you thought about getting Aqua Class? It comes with free bottled water and tea and I've read they will bring you as much as you can drink. One cruiser said she saved $400 over the cost of buying by the bottle.

Do you happen to know if this applies to suites also?

Curiosity.....why do you need to buy bottled water at all? We have not sailed Celebrity yet, have booked a winter cruise, but on our favorite cruise line I just use the water on the ship. We each bring an Aluminum water bottle and fill it in the restaurant when we need it. Saves all that plastic as well. Does the water from the ship taste bad? Usually it is desalinized water and has no taste to me.

The water has on the ship has a lot of sodium still left behind, even after the de-sal process... This causes many passengers to feel a bit 'bloaty'; thus, the reason for the bottled water being brought on board. If you can buy water at the store for $4 for 36 bottles, it's a shame that the cruise lines feel the need to charge us $4 PER BOTTLE... IMHO

There will be a carafe of ice water in your cabin which is replenished daily....or as often as you wish, I suspect. It tastes fine. I have never heard of anyone feeling "bloaty" from the water. We drink it all the time and have never had a problem; I wouldn't think of buying water.....but perhaps that's just us.

Bill

One cruiser said she saved $400 over the cost of buying by the bottle.

Frankly I find this hard to believe unless she was on a b2b or would have supplied her whole family.....$4 a bottle...she would have had to buy 100 bottles to spend $400....over a week that is 14 a day, even over 2 weeks it would be 7 a day....she must swim in bottled water...lol

Do you happen to know if this applies to suites also?

I think the free bottled water is only for Aqua Class guests as a perk.

The water on the ship doesn't taste bad, but I prefer bottled water even at home. Plus, if I drink too much water on the ship I tend to retain water. I still drink the tea and lemonade on the ship. On one cruise, my feet got so swollen I couldn't wear my shoes, and no that doesn't happen to me on land vacations. Please no flaming about the pros and cons of bottled water. Each person has their own preferences and there is no right or wrong.

Frankly I find this hard to believe unless she was on a b2b or would have supplied her whole family.....$4 a bottle...she would have had to buy 100 bottles to spend $400....over a week that is 14 a day, even over 2 weeks it would be 7 a day....she must swim in bottled water...lol

I know right? I assume she meant for herself and her spouse and if you figure 50 bottles per person, that would be about 7 per day and it definitely could be done. My husband drinks way more than that. He's a personal trainer and always carries around a gallon jug of water. :D

There will be a carafe of ice water in your cabin which is replenished daily....or as often as you wish, I suspect. It tastes fine. I have never heard of anyone feeling "bloaty" from the water. We drink it all the time and have never had a problem; I wouldn't think of buying water.....but perhaps that's just us.

Bill

Unfortunately Celebrity has discontinued the carafe of drinking water. You can request a coffee carafe be filled with water but it will taste like coffee.

On out last cruise, not knowing that they did not provide drinking water in room, we did not bring any kind of water bottle or pitcher. So we opened one water bottle and then kept refilling it from the tap.

To the OP: There is no prohibition from bringing your own water nor is there any limit on luggage, so I don't see why, if it works for you, you couldn't bring your own. The ships water doesn't bother me, but maybe that's because I am a big salt hound to begin with so I don't get any additional bloat.

I brought my own case of water on board for my husband and myself aboard the Summit. I don't like drinking from the carafes in the room because I am a germophobe. It may not be rational but that is just me.

Jenn

I brought my own case of water on board for my husband and myself aboard the Summit. I don't like drinking from the carafes in the room because I am a germophobe. It may not be rational but that is just me.

Jenn

What about the people who handle that case of water from distribution point to your hands? I hope you're wiping them all down

The salt remaining from de-sal shouldn't be very high if the machinery is working correctly, less or equal to that in many bottled waters (like Desani). Maybe Celebrity is different from the cruise line we usually use, but theirs is almost nil (did a fact finding check a couple of years ago). Interesting discussion. Personally, I have never felt "bloaty" by drinking it. We are lucky to live in an area with excellent public drinking water so the only time we ever buy bottled water is on a road trip in the USA or if we run out while traveling. Sometimes it is difficult to buy bottled water without chemicals and sodium in it, especially in airports after security. Sign of the times.

Hi Suzanne,

Was your last X cruise back in November '09? When we were on Summit this past January, we did have the carafe of drinking water and the ice bucket - as we've experienced every time we've cruised on X.

mobster75

Unfortunately Celebrity has discontinued the carafe of drinking water.

On out last cruise, not knowing that they did not provide drinking water in room, we did not bring any kind of water bottle or pitcher. So we opened one water bottle and then kept refilling it from the tap.

To the OP: There is no prohibition from bringing your own water nor is there any limit on luggage, so I don't see why, if it works for you, you couldn't bring your own. The ships water doesn't bother me, but maybe that's because I am a big salt hound to begin with so I don't get any additional bloat.

Unfortunately Celebrity has discontinued the carafe of drinking water. You can request a coffee carafe be filled with water but it will taste like coffee. That's too bad. I was always under the impression from these boards that little things like this were one of the things that separated Celebrity from the others....we noticed a severe decrease in dressing up for dinner on our last cruise which was a back-to-back.....and the cheese cart has gone from the specialty restaurants. If this type of thing continues, then maybe we should start trying out other lines, as they will all be the same....

On out last cruise, not knowing that they did not provide drinking water in room, we did not bring any kind of water bottle or pitcher. So we opened one water bottle and then kept refilling it from the tap. Good idea;l think we will do the same on our next cruises which are coming up in Oct/Nov.

We had a carafe of water in March of this year onboard the Century

Unfortunately Celebrity has discontinued the carafe of drinking water. You can request a coffee carafe be filled with water but it will taste like coffee.

Please Please.....if you can afford a cruise you can afford water.

To take your logic one step further, if you can afford to cruise you can afford to buy all of your clothes and personal supplies aboard the ship. Why bother with luggage?;)

Some of us, believe it or not, abstain from alcohol and do not drink soda all day long. I don't drink coffee or tea and no, I am not from Utah!

Some people save long and hard for a cruise, sometimes years, and sometimes even just for the cheapest inside cabin. And in that time policies change onboard ship that reflect how these people must save and budget for their cruise. Even tips and parking can bring the cost of a cruise up several hundred dollars, and that can mean months worth of extra saving on the part of the perspective customer. Then the drinks packages and cost of bottled water come into play. We might not drink coffee or alchohol, or take shore excursions when in port because maybe we really cant afford it either, but we do want to drink quality water, and maybe that means not the shipboard potable water. Still more money piled on top of the cost of the cruise, which started out to be a deal. Once all is said in done the perspective customer who bought a cheap inside cabin at only $545 cruise has to save triple and quadruple the amount of the cruise just to pay for all the other extras. Sure some of you can afford to spend over $1000 on drinks packages alone, and quadruple that in expansive suites, but for some the rest of us the cost of a single bottle of water, three or five times a day can add a significant cost to the cruise package. So we (and they) are rightfully concerned over the smallest detail, even if it IS the cost of a bottle of water.

Curious as to why....if it is permitted by the cruiseline....bringing a case of bottled water on board would bother anybody?:confused: It's not like this would open the doors for the 'trailer-park militia.'

*No offense intended toward those who live in trailer parks....my grandparents live in one.